/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: (Cross-thread)#
/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: #
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: #

Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:

$ man

$ info

$ help

Don't know what to look for?

$ apropos

For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

mirror.sobukus.de/files/sourcemage/logos/smgl-desktops/
stallman.org/archives/2006-may-aug.html#05 June 2006 (Dutch paedophiles form political party)
stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_(Pedophilia)
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sound_system
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Unmuting_the_channels
git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/Documentation/admin-guide/sysrq.rst
github.com/ccd0/Sup
github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan
fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/
raw.githubusercontent.com/archhurd/packages/master/extra/cowsay/rms.cow
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Richard Stallman is a retard atheist nigger!

Yo im using debian but i cant use sudo? It tells me -bash sudo: command not found.

During the initial set up of my system it couldnt install all the packages for some reason so idk, what should i do? im in a purely terminal mode right now.

That´s a nice way to start the thread.

So just grab stable and don't over complicate things or?

FACT Richard Stallman practices and advocates for pedophilia

nevermind, i figured i can just use su -...

also im trying to use apt-get update but either my wifi isnt configured properly or the debian server ive selected isnt working. how do i change the server and check my net?

First for Source Mage

Wallpapers! mirror.sobukus.de/files/sourcemage/logos/smgl-desktops/

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

Fuck off with your monthly meme distro

xubunchu! >w

I've used Xubuntu for a while a long ass time ago. I grew kinda tired of it.

Tried some distros with KDE, I remember having issues with tearing and such. I use a radeon 280x.

How good is openSUSE? I heard it was the distro to look for if you want something more on the stable side that is still as user friendly as it gets, however I also heard that the default desktop mostly used on this distro is KDE. How does it fare?

BSD sucks.

No he doesn't.

>seems kinda old.
The distro-specific tools (installer, package utilities, system configuration assistants, build system, package manager for syncing with online repos) and design language (use shell scripts for everything, use simple menu-based curses dialogs for UI) haven't changed since they were first written, because if it ain't broke don't fix it. The installer literally warns you that it's about to download a file "several hundred kilobytes in size"). It also uses the same hybrid BSD/SysV init system that it has used forever because it is simple and it doesn't break.

The system itself is very modern, the last stable release was in July and the -current branch is updated regularly so you can have a "rolling release" if you want to. It uses the latest stable and well-tested versions of software, ships with KDE 4 and Xfce as the default DEs, blackbox, fluxbox, fvwm, and windowmaker as standalone WMs, has community packages and support for KDE 5, Cinnamon, MATE, LXDE/Qt, and /even/ GNOME 3, not to mention most if not all of your hipster minimalist WMs. It ships with development tools for nearly all commonly used languages of the last 30 years and a LAMP stack OOTB, it also includes several options for video players, audio players, image viewers, office suites, Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey, the GIMP, ImageMagic, SoX, both vim and Emacs, in short 95%-100% of what most anyone would need on either a desktop or server system. The community distros have binary packages for the 95% of the remaining 5%, relatively up to date, and if you want more recent or even bleeding edge versions you can make them yourself using a very simple, powerful, and fully customizable automated build system.

It's true that Slackware is the oldest continuously developed Linux distribution, but that doesn't mean that it is outdated. It's about half a year older than Debian and a year older than Red Hat, but people don't usually call them "old", do they?

stallman.org/archives/2006-may-aug.html#05 June 2006 (Dutch paedophiles form political party)
stallman.org/archives/2012-nov-feb.html#04_January_2013_(Pedophilia)

Really makes your iGPU heat up dont it?

If anyone replies to this faggot, I'll post bananas, I swear.

GNU/Linux*

LinCuck, gayimp, librecuckoffice sucks. Only autistic fucktards and childrens uses This free shit.

Windows and its office suite is most realiable for adaptery and Scorpions worki.

Very much this.

I will always buy Microsoft Windows™ because the future starts now™. Microsoft also pioneers innovative new technologies like DirectX™, Office™, and the highest quality operating system to ever grace computers.
When I boot up with a brand new computer running Microsoft Windows™ with the latest Z chipset powered by Intel™ and latest Nvidia™ graphics, I can enjoy the games the way they where meant to be played™. Microsoft™ also pioneers in the gaming field with its latest Xbox™ console to allow gamers to play on their big screens with family and friends.
Microsoft Windows™ is also very secure. It's the most secure operating system on the planet. It's harden against NSA probes, tested by highly trained and experienced programming engineers to have ever graced this planet. With such innovative security technologies like UAC, Defender, Security Essentials, BitLocker, and Windows™ Firewall you can ensure all your sensitive data is secured and you're safe on the internet. Microsoft™ most advanced, and dare say, the most advance web browser on the market, Edge™, has decoupled addon support, like flash, to ensure maximum user safety when browsing the web. You can ensure Microsoft™ keeps you safe from the NSA.

At this point in time there's really no reasons to consider Linux. I tried once. It caused my Nvidia™ graphics to overheat so much due to its poor quality, novice programmed, open source drivers that it exploded and nearly burnt down my house.
It's quite clear that OPs a Linux shill trying to convince you to settle on something less than the optimal experience with Windows™. Windows™ is the only real way to play games or do anything productive. We've seen that they offer incredible libraries for software developers like Visual Studio and Microsoft C++ Compiler. He is probably too poor to afford the Microsoft Windows™ experience and can not afford to play any games.
Don't be a poor gamer with bad security and no drivers. The Future Starts Now™ with Microsoft Windows™

My god why are these people so right, how have I not seen this

Where can I purchase a new license for Windows 10? I really need it so I can open those pesky docx files!

The NSA has been trying to infiltrate the linux kernel for years now. Something must be done to stop them because freedom is on the line and our minds are at risk. Paid shills also are trying to brainwash you to abandon Linux, the NSA and CIA is going to lose.

Just don't use SELinux enabled distribution buddy.

Hardened gentoo offers grsecurity patches.

>The NSA
What you're referring to as NSA is actually RedHat/NSA.

It's not just the kernel at risk, the people are at risk. SJWs paid for by the NSA are trying to character assassinate Linus, nobody is safe.

Source Mage doesn't have this problem.

or as I've recently taken to calling it, RedHat plus NSA. RedHat is not a backdoor unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning botnet made useful by the NSA contributions, compromised security and encryption comprising a full botnet as defined by the EFF

>tfw would genuinely try out gentoo but too poor to be able to compile it within a day.

Why not just use gentoo instead?

>MS Office

Installed Office 365 on Windows 10 a week ago

>Installer kept saying, "There is another installation already in progress, try again later"
>but it was the first time I clicked on the installer
>finally get it installed
>have to enter product key. cool, I have one
>click button to enter product key
>"Sorry, you can't enter a product key because this copy of Office 365 is not activated"

How the fuck am I supposed to activate it if you won't let me?

Haven't logged into my Windows partition since. LibreOffice just works. Literally no advantage to using MS Office at this point.

How?

How in the blueberry fuck do you get audio working on Linux? I'm tempted to go back to my win7 partition.

GNU/Linux*

enable your card

just use sabayon

Base install only really requires you to compile grub and maybe the kernel if you can't just copy one from whatever live environment you are using.

Just for the meme value or because you actually believe you would somehow benefit from compiling all of your software yourself?

Because Gentoo doesn't let you """"""CAST"""""" """"""""""SPELLS"""""""""" from """""""""""""""""""GRIMOIRES"""""""""""""""""""

>tfw the captcha comes up "JORDAN STOP" but you accidentally close it before you can take a screencap

woah, h-how did you make that your tripcode is a word? looks pretty cool to be honest

forgot to ask, what is the meaning of these chinese(?) characters? are you a chinese person?

RTFM

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sound_system

use this command $ amixer sset Master unmute

use alsamixer

specify a distro and try again

$: command not found

Oh my.

Oh fuck....

what kernel are you running? Did alsa make it in there? SPECIFY A DISTRO!!!

Try installing alsa-utils first

>sset
lel, stop copy pasting commands you don't understand

set is enough

pulseaudio doesn't have this problem.

>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Unmuting_the_channels
even the arch wiki blindly copy-pasted that crap

Faggot, is it the time of the day again?
>lelelelehahahah time to annoy /fglt/ again xxDD
How about no.

set and sset is both correct.
man amixer

Thank you.

This is the dumbest holy war I have ever seen.

All hail Source Magic!

use ccache

Might be the wrog place but anything specific on how to dual boot debian x64 and win7 x64? Uefi for debian and legacy for win7? Could I make it on a single hdd?

Wrong*

Enable efi stub loading, compile your boot options into the kernel, compile the initramfs into the kernel.

Stick the debian.efi (whatever you want to name the kernel just end it with efi) on the Windows EFI partition and then add it with
efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "debian lol" -l "\debian.efi"

It will show up in your bios boot options.

Post some cool linux commands!

This user here. Just kidding xD

Im using cuckdowsX and Mint 18 on other partition.
I would go balls deep into Linux wonderful world but i cant run skyrim from steam and i have at this moment only hd4000 So i dont know if it run at low.

Ff xii inne pcsx2 runs Perfect inne wangablows but on Mint sucks coocks for free

while :; do xrandr --output $(xrandr | awk '/ connected/ { print $1 }') --gamma 0.$((RANDOM%9)):0.$((RANDOM%9)):0.$((RANDOM%9)); done

insmod, rmmod
GNU/Linux*

$(echo "I

Missed post ehh
Meant

xrandr --output $(xrandr | awk '/ connected/ { print $1 }') --off

nice choice of logo

GNU/Linux*

GNU/Linux*᠎

echo c | sudo tee /proc/sysrq-trigger

grep LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC /usr/include/linux/reboot.h

Linus left his birthday and the birthday of his children there.

Oh, to convert them, for ex. #define LINUX_REBOOT_MAGIC2:
printf '%x\n' 672274793

pretty boring easteregg tbqh

neat
ebin
what does this do?
wew

I have problems with the quality of the video recording in avconv/ffmpeg, how do I increase quality a tad bit and still be able to post the webm to Sup Forums?
killall -INT avconv 2>/dev/null || avconv -f x11grab -r 25 -s 1280x720 -i :0.0 $HOME/output.webm &

git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/plain/Documentation/admin-guide/sysrq.rst

do you really need 25 frames?
also check out -crf and -b:v to change quality and bitrate
also use ffmpeg
-c:v libvpx -crf 4 -b:v 4M does a good job

you may also want to go for 2 passes instead of converting directly to webm, spares some bytes too, so you can record with some higher quality

Sup Forums.org##.postContainer:if(.post:not(.inlined) > .postInfo > .nameBlock > .postertrip:has-text(/^!BE\/4wes0mE/))
Sup Forums.org##.post.preview:if(.postInfo > .nameBlock > .postertrip:has-text(/^!BE\/4wes0mE/))

kek, is this for ublock?
why not 4chanx?

lol'd

thanks, will check with ffmpeg

fbsetbg -a `find $HOME/img/w | egrep '(jpg|png|gif)$' | sort -R | head -n1`

thanks

because I don't have 4chanx.... is it gud?

yes, install Sup Forums x and oneechan for rice

but i don't want to rice. i'm not some kind of hipster memelord

You're trying too hard, user. This can all be done with bash and shuf:

fbsetbg -a "$(shuf -en1 ~/img/w/+(*jpg|*png|*gif)"

(with extglob enabled)

it's oob rice
you get some nice themes to choose from and a settings menu to tweak some things if you want
it's pretty nice

if you're on firefox, install greasemonkey and then
github.com/ccd0/Sup Forums-x
github.com/Nebukazar/OneeChan

but I don't use fluxbox

feh --bg-fill "$(shuf -en1 ~/wallpapers/shemales/+(*jpg|*png|*gif))"

Even worse, he's a Jew which means he's intentionally deceitful and a communist

The fun fact is they don't need to try, there is a lot of software which has vulnerabilities that people run with the kernel.
There are so many people hunting these vulns to sell.

fosdem.org/2017/schedule/event/linux_desktop_versus_windows10/

but how do I glob arbitrary numbers of recursive directories?
I can definitely replace sort -R | head -n1
with shuf -n1 though

you can glob recursivly with enabled globstar and **/, check man bash for all that shit

well i'll be...

then save it as a script in your ~/bin (you do add ~/bin to your $PATH, right, user?) and map it to a keybinding in your WM, and/or put it in your .xinitrc as something like
eval 'while true; do ~/bin/random_wall.sh; sleep 3600; done' &

(or however someone will point out that can be written better)

Stalman quote that VOLUNTARY etc etc.
He then went on to talk about how children are too easily coerced to give consent.
>That one sentence out of context.

how do i vpn on fedora with yum????

wget raw.githubusercontent.com/archhurd/packages/master/extra/cowsay/rms.cow
sudo mv rms.cow /usr/share/cowsay/cows/
cowsay -f rms 'Sharing is good, and with digital technology, sharing is easy.'