Language aesthetics discussion

Old thread () reached bump limit.

What (relevant) language sounds more beautiful to you?

Recap:

Italian:
youtube.com/watch?v=6gayexCp6Go
(youtu.be/igC8UcnAZHE)

French:
youtu.be/FPpfT1DLrnY
Spanish:
youtu.be/TZRkum-TAfA
English:
youtu.be/UHMobSemG0c

Portuguese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Dezqkm2ECU4
Russian:
youtu.be/-dN9Uf3GoJw?t=50s
(youtube.com/watch?v=W5F21bYGKV4)

German:
youtu.be/pjE8pulrupw
(youtu.be/xsjdWxLFpB0)
Dutch:
youtu.be/8yhtsopzzuc?t=40s

Turkish:
youtube.com/watch?v=ysomrHpSxKE
Hindi:
youtu.be/DeIXfvgQ1-0
Arabic:
youtu.be/e1DFIIN7K0U
Chinese:
youtu.be/vExjnn_3ep4
(youtu.be/UAn2-QdAnsY?t=41s)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PlfqiM2K8o8
youtu.be/9npvYv6NLq8
youtube.com/watch?v=tuAYyDO5fEs
youtu.be/mXY7Vofhvv0
youtu.be/oOjv1nMXCmw?t=2m46s
youtu.be/oOjv1nMXCmw?t=1m5s
youtu.be/L4aSHlgtFfU
youtube.com/watch?v=dV1f94CaGHU
youtube.com/watch?v=kDD69EkhyGQ
youtube.com/watch?v=9cPzP0qE5qY
youtube.com/watch?v=zVHPGFs6kH8
youtu.be/5sK1VSVhAXI
youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2ibtFDObU
youtube.com/watch?v=rZgLG5vui1Q
youtube.com/watch?v=UWQeYA2-Eks
youtube.com/watch?v=-ZHDiaXwj_A
youtu.be/b270ka2eB_4
youtube.com/watch?v=aqMw04GJlVw
youtube.com/watch?v=wobNwWMP0P4
youtube.com/watch?v=8az3hjCf8qQ
youtu.be/UP4nXlKJx_4
youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts
youtu.be/s9YbICd43Mc
youtube.com/watch?v=JM-nCDisHEA
youtube.com/watch?v=BG8tScjlJkY
youtu.be/8D_O4J1U1Z4
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Levitan
youtube.com/watch?v=DCcPvXdXxZk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

French

Makki Kaurismekki, pleeeez

I might sound like an enlightment to a Finnish guy, but... well you are right, French is sexy..
Germans and Swiss dislike it though.

The guy who reads Baudelaire keeps making weird pauses all the times, frustrating

youtube.com/watch?v=PlfqiM2K8o8

Mongolian is extremely pleasant btw

Japanese sample:

youtu.be/9npvYv6NLq8

god tier: Italian, Japanese
pleasant tier: Arabic, Spanish, German
OK tier: English, Korean
ugly tier: French, Portuguese, Turkish, Hindi, Chinese

>Please explain me this.
Several of the consonants have a softer, fronted version (q, j, and x in pinyin). Not that I know much about Russian but it has fronted versions of most consonants. I have no idea if they are similar or not.

>What I understood about Chinese having learned it a couple of years is: you might learn sigle characters and the way they are pronounced, however, since 80% of all Chinese every day words consist of TWO syllables, you should learn them in pairs with TONES. Burn them in your fucked up brain without thinking what the single part mean.
Yes but these double character words arose because of homophone issues and the simplifying of the allowable sounds in a syllable. Apparently Middle Chinese had fewer homophones and Old Chinese may have been monosyllabic like Vietnamese still is today. The tones were also produced by processes related to simplifying syllables. You're right that memorizing single characters is mostly pointless because it's better to learn actual words instead.

Turkish sample:
Rate song
youtube.com/watch?v=tuAYyDO5fEs

>Chinese has soft, fronted versions of several consonants, which are j,q, and x in pinyin.

Well, let me explain you le Russian point of view on Chinese (who'd help us to wreck you *joking*)

Russians started to use pinyin as well. However, they still "explain" the pronunciation with Russian "sounds".

zhen corresponds to Russians ЧЖEHЬ (CH+ZH+EN)
jian is accordingly цзиэн (you don't have ц in your language that's why Russians are better buddies with Chines than you yankees)

What I wanted to say is that for a Russian (even a Jew) it is still fringin difficult to learn Chinese.

Why no love for Russian tovarich ?

I saw Ueno-eki (Tokyo station Ueno, right in the middle) und I came buckets.

There is AKIHABARA as well. Mon amour japonais...

Interesting, I didn't know there was a Cyrillic version of pinyin although it's not surprising considering they're neighbors.

>I used to hate it when I was a kid because they used to force us to dance this middle school, but I've grown fond of it since then
How do you dance that, bro?

I genuinely like Japanese, it's sounds the most natural to an Indo-European ear than any other Asian language.

Wish it wasn't so useless outside of Japan, spent 6 years studying it and I somehwat regret wasting so much time on it.

Man that Turikish music makes me feel like I'm in a bazaar buying camels.

Your song is much better than the shit we got from Turkey some years back

youtu.be/mXY7Vofhvv0

>Several of the consonants have a softer, fronted version
Well, it is just like "le fuck" while the impact is focused on "fuck".

Indeed, you don't need to put right "ton" on each of two syllables in a word. Mostly, the second syllable is pronounced without a tone. but Chinese kinda get it right. Why? they know which syllables match and how.

>Apparently Middle Chinese had fewer homophones
You make me feel happy. I met a yankee who is not dumb! I won't nuke you today. I promise! Is it a deal? Pleeeeez....

Hi, Irish is the language of God. grma.

You mean me or in general?

My dance class was basically me trying not to get a panic a attack from begin so close to girls and dreading life when we had to choose are dancing partners in front of the whole class. If you picked a girl who didn't like you she didn't hesitate in make the "I'm disgusted" face. It was pretty cruel.

If you mean in general, well... pretty much like in the video. It's folklore, not something you'd dance in a club or anything.

Italian doesn't sound that nice, yeah it's better than other languages but I still prefer:

Finnish: youtu.be/oOjv1nMXCmw?t=2m46s
Icelandic: youtu.be/oOjv1nMXCmw?t=1m5s

There is than the most strange language I've ever heard but quite interesting in phonetic.
Hungarian: youtu.be/L4aSHlgtFfU

Since I don't have a good hungarian reading video I posted a nice folk metal song (nice vocal chick by the way) :D

i love russian in music. sounds pretty mysterious. but not that much in speaking.
it depends 2bh.

Post sample Sean. Preferably a qt grill.

Arabic sounds like you have sand stuck in your throat. Totally disgusting.
English sounds like you have a potato in your mouth.
German: occasional random sharp sounds from the throat. Has a character though.
Dutch: the weird mutant child of German and English.
French: bab bop bip jitvö be se truaaa ses va mua. They sound like they are trying too hard.
Turkish: üzülmüshmüydünüzmü, bunch of same vowels and "ish"/"yor"/"si" at then end. Kinda annoying.

To me, Japanese sounds the best. It has a nice phonetic and a slight rhythm.

Ahmet, just GTFO, ok?

P.S. Dat cat gently suggesting "gray wolves". You are too simple, Muhtar. No Tatasha this summer! Go fuck sheeeeeps and/or your sistah.

Bro

ENEMIES

Korean sample: (Young female, seoul dialect)
youtube.com/watch?v=dV1f94CaGHU

(mother scolding daughter, kyungsan dialect)
youtube.com/watch?v=kDD69EkhyGQ

music:
youtube.com/watch?v=9cPzP0qE5qY

have a song instead youtube.com/watch?v=zVHPGFs6kH8

>implying the Swiss would break their perpetual neutrality and nuke us
Most of my knowledge of Chinese comes from background research I did for a trip to Taiwan for a few weeks and one Asian history class I took in college some years ago. I was bored on the plane and on some days so I read a bunch about the language and dialects.

>i love russian in music
>but not that much in speaking.
So, it's about the vowel reduction, right?

> If you picked a girl who didn't like you she didn't hesitate in make the "I'm disgusted" face. It was pretty cruel.
I also had dance classes in school/high school, it was the best subject tbqh. We have learned ALL kinds of Brazilian dances and in the last year of high school we learned Tango and "Zumba".
It was pretty cool even though I'm shy. During the class everything was perfect, my best memories are from those classes.
Also, we have danced all days of the last week of the last year in school.

If I wasn't busy I would enroll in a Cumbia dance class

I'm kind of liking the German girl I found looking for german videos. Even though she speaks horribly.

I hope I don't get obsessed with her. Happens more often than what I care to admit.

youtu.be/5sK1VSVhAXI

>There is than the most strange language I've ever heard but quite interesting in phonetic.
>Hungarian: youtu.be/L4aSHlgtFfU [Remove]
sounds like korean mixed with some arabic.
i dont know about the details of both of them but it sounds pretty normal to me.

I still have a dictionary that belonged to my grandfather. He worked as a translator with the Soviet mission when the Soviets were buddies with the Chinese. It's dated 1952 as The Great Stalin still qualified as The Father and The Teacher of All Volks in the Soviet Union.

Why should they use the Latin version if the Cyllilic one is indeed more clear and straightforward? BTW, Taiwanese still use their ackward "pinyin" version.

I'll post a shot of the content afterwarts.

Nahuatl is the only beautiful language tbqhwyf

youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2ibtFDObU

youtube.com/watch?v=rZgLG5vui1Q

I guess it's easy for every Russia to "read" Japanese since it is so close.

>English sounds like you have a potato in your mouth.
... yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=UWQeYA2-Eks

Actually, it was a hip in europe. A bit gay though.

>youtube.com/watch?v=kDD69EkhyGQ

Sounds pretty much like an angry asian woman.

The first girls didn't stop smacking her lips. Fucking annoying.

a red-haired one ;)

I honestly think German is pretty nice and aesthetic.
But usually people just hear the WIENERSCHNITZEL FLAMMENWERFER parts.

>implying Swiss can't handle nukez

Sounds nice, but music is deceiving. Do you have a poem reading? Or normal speaking ?

the OP pic is objectively wrong

Best language aesthetic is Greek

It's strange, plus that it has nothing to do with neighborhoods languages and it has 18 grammar cases!
Just think at the madness!

That link in the OP is hardly how Dutch sounds.

I really love persian. Especially Iranian dialect, it sounds very sweet and welcoming.

Google persian poems on youtube for reference

it sounds like japanese with some chinese intonations.

>jian is accordingly цзиэн

what the fuck
that makes no sense

>Google persian poems on youtube

wat?

I also like Iranian dialect tho

Russian humor is top kek

can we all just agree that cantonese is the worst, aesthetically speaking?

I must say that the QUALITY of spoken Russian decreased a lot in the last 25 years. Persons with real Speech-Language Pathology flooded the media because nobody cared to stop them.

Here is the example of a real cock hardening Russian:

youtube.com/watch?v=-ZHDiaXwj_A

OMG!

Maybe you should listen to irish dialects

I think that's the only thing Sup Forums can agree on.

Where is swedish? I find it nice. Gib a sample plz

>Taiwanese still use their ackward "pinyin" version.
Yes they use a different version of pinyin which was confusing at times. They have a Hokkien spillover accent too even though most of them don't speak the dialect.

The book is neat.

Sounds almost identical to the guy wo introduces the anthem in this video:

youtu.be/b270ka2eB_4

teacher get all wet and shit

Eralash, isn't it?

>Swedish
>Relevant

This is proper Dutch. You know, just random news items.

youtube.com/watch?v=aqMw04GJlVw
youtube.com/watch?v=wobNwWMP0P4
youtube.com/watch?v=8az3hjCf8qQ

youtu.be/UP4nXlKJx_4
>people will never speak like this in Ireland ever again

As I stressed before le murrican accent is of Irish orgin.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Ejga4kJUts

The first is pure beauty, the second remembers me too much a political discourse

>Posting geoblocked videos

Jan, get out !!!!!!!!!

Did it sound like a tonal language like Chinese? Kyungsan dialect has pitch accents almost as heavy as Japanese, so to people from Seoul, it sounds anywhere from weird to ugly to cute.

Literally what is the sound he makes at the beginning ?

i dunno what the vowel reduction is but russian in music, well, it sounds pretty soft and warm in melodious songs, especially in sad or melancholic ones. its not like "gay-ish" some fags on the internet often say. its just soft and warm, and nostalgic.

i might prefer russian to any one of the west, because it gives a "naturally" nostalgic feel to me, whereas most of the western music, except for a few of brit underground ones, sound somewhat artificial in such a way.

What do you think about Romanian ?

youtu.be/s9YbICd43Mc

Man the 00's in Europe, musically speaking, are better forgotten.

why does she need to be white ?

>it gives a "naturally" nostalgic feel to me
nostalgic feel? to you? what?

it is.

youtube.com/watch?v=JM-nCDisHEA

Pls explain. According to what I used to hear when Chinese spoke it does

> it's sounds the most natural to an Indo-European ear than any other Asian language.

we might have had some influence on that :D

youtube.com/watch?v=BG8tScjlJkY
I'm Romanian and I like my language quite a lot, if you use the right grammar and phonetic, not like moldova accent that sucks!

vrei pahar de jin?

Agreed. He tries to speak correct English. The soft point to be criticized. However, he would not give a fuck to talk clean Russian when talking... hmmm... Russian.

It was actually a joke about "English sounds like you have a potato in your mouth."

Get it? Irish doesn't sound like they, because they have no potatos for their mouth.

Almost sounds like it has rising and falling tones like Chinese but that may just be that she's angry and asking questions or something. The rhythm is less flat than normal Korean and more like Japanese.

>There are more Romanians posting under italian flag than actual Italians

sigh

BTW, les Russians won those Gamez.

Goddammit, I want to learn every language on the planet, but I can barely focus my energy on one.
Wat do?

Speaking of European music from the 00's

youtu.be/8D_O4J1U1Z4

Hahhahahahaa

The 'z' is supposed to represent a softening of the 'ch' sound or something. It's an approximation.

How would you represent zhen, jian, chen, and qian respectively? That might clear some things up.

don't bother because it's a waste of time

SZCZPRZSZCZRZKSZTRZŚŹĆDZISZCZPŻDŻŹSZCZ
Wilno nasze

His guy is something special

>youtube.com/watch?v=-ZHDiaXwj_A

His name is LEVITAN (obviously a Russia Jew). He read all news from the front during WW2. So, his voice belongs to that era 100%. It's understood, the Soviets did not want to have a faggot doing this job.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Levitan

Hai ca ai scris doar un cuvant in dialectul moldovenesc :)
Cum naiba stiti daca va referiti la vin sau la jin superalcoholic?!? :D

>french
god tier language. it is emotional, poetic and intelligent but sometimes too gentle. would learn. 9/10
>italian
quite a beautiful language. it has its own poetic spirit but in the same time it's too mannered. would learn. 8/10
>spainish
it has all advantages and disadvantages of italian. would learn. 8/10
>english
it's just a natural language. i can't say anything more specific. i love regional accents like scottish and irish though. would improve. 6.5/10
>portuguese
same as english but it sounds too much like russian. would learn. 6/10
>german
funny shit. wouldn't learn. 5/10
>dutch
same as german
>russian
boring ugly language. it's better than polish though. 4/10
>japanese
this is one of the most disgusting language i've had ever heard. 1/10
actually, all asian languages are same for me

Sounds like a Celtic Winston Churchill

I don't like it. Too much choking. Sounds kind of Nordic.

what do you think of mongolian?

Warum willst es nicht einfach akzeptieren? Murrica is ein Haufen von ungebildeten Migranten. Iren, die nicht länger unter Grossbritaniens Joch leben wollten, flohen nach murrica. Aus diesem Dialektenbrei entstand le Americain.

BTW, Russia is about to win Eurovision 2016.

>japanese
>this is one of the most disgusting language i've had ever heard. 1/10

I'm convinced people who say this are just edgy racist faggots. Japanese sounds the closest to Indo-European languages. It has almost the same pronounce as Romance languages.

It Sounds like chinese

>sounds too much like russian
STOOPPPP THE MEMES ARE GETTING TOO REALLL
Btw european pt is the one that looks more russian,brazilian sounds more like spanish
youtube.com/watch?v=DCcPvXdXxZk

Watch out for qt's. Learn to talk to them.