BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD

Join the IRC: #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com | undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook | openbsd.org/faq | netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers, etc.

Other urls found in this thread:

freevms.net/
github.com/ztmr/FreeVMS
youtube.com/watch?v=cofKxtIO3Is
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just install Linux already.

I'll bite.

How does hardware support compare to linux?
How is BSD on laptops?
Will we be getting any more OpenBSD release songs?

FreeVMS (OpenVMS clone) is looking for developers. FreeVMS (VMS stands for "virtual memory system") is not just another Unix, is a real-time operating system with tight integration with the base system, DCL (DIGITAL Command Language), and also perfect for routers.

Developers are welcome!
Main page freevms.net/
Github mirror github.com/ztmr/FreeVMS

why should I BSD when I'm comfy on Arch

Just quit shitposting already.

It's lacking. If your hardware is supported it's normally well supported though.

Because you want to. If you're content with Arch then stick with Arch.

Buy what *BSD developers are using and you will save lots of time and money.

>cuck lincense
No thank you.
BSD fags btfo

Why do you regularly go out of your way to shitpost? Just add "BSD" to your filter already and get on with your pathetic life.

>t. BSDtoddler

>Potential Linux switchers welcome.

If they know what the fuck they are doing they would have abandoned linux around zero page fiasco and that was almost decade ago.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Hello. I use FreeBSD. I was wondering how do i get a GUI so i can get on blacked.com????

Full-fledged autism.

Why switch to BSD? Also whats the best BSD version?

Literally no reason to switch other than being a autist.

>gcc -> llvm/clang
>gcc-libs -> libcxxabi + libunwind
>glibc -> musl
>libstdc++ -> libcxx

Feels good to use gentoo.

This a GNU/Linux thread now. BSD is BTFO and finished. Begone you cucks.

X W I N D O W
W
I
N
D
O
W
come on man I've only read like 2 chapters of a unix book and could tell you that

god damn you must be a psycho

Quit shitting the thread up, the Linux circlejerk is over there

>t. BSDcuck

Why don't you post something useful about *BSD instead of molesting crybaby even harder?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I don't need to post shit, bitch.

Eat a dick, you fucking twat.

>t. BSDcuck

Please get more angry. It's funny.

Nah, I'm done. I just like to get a couple replies so the mods have a nice pile of reports.

Why should I partition my disk??
I have a machine I want to zero out openbsd recommends sysreqs fits the ram requirements I have better but it sounds destructive to a hdd while freebsd isn't documenting this in any of the faq I read and I can probably find the right ramchips to fit that if I'm patient.

what

WHAT THE FUCK PEOPLE.

I put OpenBSD on a 120gb SSD, but whenever I try and install a package, I get this "Errno 28", meaning I have no space left in /usr. I used the default partition layout in the install, did I mess something up?

Or is my SSD just weird/need to be reformatted?

Any help would be appreciated, attaching an image so you actually read my post.

account for how big your hard drive actually is

you don't HAVE to use the default layout, you know

you can even put everything under /

License wars are literal insanity, just stop.

Alright thats what I figured. It was just weird to me that it got filled up so quickly.

What are OpenBSD devs using? I looked it up on their website and found nothing.

Doesn't Portage enforce GCC though?

ThinkPads and Latitudes seem to be the two best choices

Freebsd recommends partitioning the disk for files so it runs faster. Openbsd mentions partitioning the disk to set files to read only because it can kill the disk reading and writing over the same spots.
Is this really necessary?? do they both do that?

not sure if the FFS implementation is exactly the same or if the freebsd advice was for ZFS

doesn't the latter rule apply to everything though?

There's WIP branch that uses LLVM/Clang as base compiler. It won't be publicly available until LLVM/Clang can compile linux kernel but I patched my kernel source code so it's working olkish for me.

I don't even know if I could get a FFS partitions to run on it since it's a 32bit processor it was recommending a MBR partition scheme for that.

I wouldn't know about the later rule applying to everything part of why I been jumping into linux and bsd is learning about this stuff, more about how stuff works. I don't think I've ever run into that problem with mac or windows before, mac was just out of date. Windows usually runs into a psu serial murder spree when the machines going out, never had a hdd failure.

Partitions and partition tables are two separate things. Regardless of selecting MBR or GPT you can use FFS or ZFS

>are two separate things
??
god damnit now im gonna be up all night reading

Why? All you need to know is that you're going to use MBR for your partition table and either ZFS or FFS for your partitions.

Have you experimented with using Gentoo/FreeBSD?

youtube.com/watch?v=cofKxtIO3Is