/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Previously: /t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: Search for software by category: linuxlinks.com/Software/, directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
Search alternatives to common applications: alternativeto.net/, linuxalt.com/
Themes, artwork, and more: opendesktop.org/
Desktop environments and window managers: xwinman.org/
Distro search: distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=All&category=All&origin=All&basedon=All¬basedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=All

Computers preloaded with GNU/Linux and libre firmware: gnu.org/links/companies.html
Have an idea for a new software/feature? Want to make bucks by making free software?: bountysource.com/

News: phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home, webupd8.org/, linuxjournal.com/, lwn.net/
Gaming news: gamingonlinux.com/, linuxgameconsortium.com/

Learn the command line by playing: mprat.org/Terminus/
Learn what a specific command is for:
$ man
$ info
$ help
Don't know what to look for? $ apropos
For advanced users: grymoire.com/Unix/index.html
Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros): wiki.archlinux.org, wiki.gentoo.org

Learn more about Free Software: gnu.org/
/fglt/'s website: fglt.nl/
/fglt/'s copypasta collection: p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-7.html
porkmail.org/era/unix/award.html#ls
wiki.bash-hackers.org/
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls
theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/15/think-different-can-advertising-defeat-alt-right-propaganda
github.com/vim-scripts/Fortune-vimtips/blob/master/fortunes/vimtips
github.com/hobbestigrou/vimtips-fortune/blob/master/fortunes/vimtips
langevin.univ-tln.fr/cours/UPS/extra/unix-shell-jokes.txt
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for Source Mage GNU/Linux

>makes thread
>posts 2nd post
its all memes now

First for Source Mage GNU/Linux.

looks like gnome still wins regarding wayland support, how comes they are so far ahead?

Why does he look like a yak?

You mean like a gnu.

How is this any different from GuixSD? Real arguments please.

Is written in bash, more minimal ootb. They also use a minimal init, different from the one GuixSD uses.

Holy crap, tldp is srsly garbage. This is what noobs get taught:
for i in $( ls ); do

for i in `seq 1 10`; do

tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-7.html

Web Browser/Search Engine related questions can go here

well, $(ls) is stupid, agreed, but seq and backticks are technically correct, back in the days that was the way to go because bash wasn't as complete as today

About time, browser discussions are popular but we have a gazillion different threads at the same time.

Alternatives?

not as minimal as Slackware...

yep, I didn't start the general but it is indeed about time

the first one is simply unnecessary, it should just be:
for i in *; do

see this: porkmail.org/era/unix/award.html#ls

the second is acceptable, but there is a more clean solution which doesn't need to spawn a subshell and run the seq tool:
for i in {1..10}; do

wiki.bash-hackers.org/
And especially:
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

Truth: All current browsers are crap.
To avoid botnet, there's Icecat and "ungoogled chrome", didn't try the latter. Alternativly, get Firefox Nightly and configure your about:config to get rid of the crap.

Search engine: searx!

>Search engine: searx!
Is pretty young but the YaCy project is definitely the future.

I agree with Icecat, haven't tried ungoogle chrome either.

The ls thing is also mentioned here:
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashPitfalls
(good read)

What's a cheap wifi router on which I can install custom firmware?

pale meme or bust

thoughts on this new meme lads

>new meme
consider barbecuing your self for some cannibals

I approve.

theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/15/think-different-can-advertising-defeat-alt-right-propaganda

>two computers
>want to boot a linux distribution on another
>can't use USB flash drives or DVDs

Is there a way to do it over the network with a regular ISO image? Not using special PXE installers.

>add iso to /boot or root if separate /boot
>add iso's info to grub
>update grub

How is /fglt/ feeling about the fact that Google is abandoning ithe GPL licensed Linux kernel in favor of the MIT licensed LX kernel for their unified Android and Chrome OS called Andromeda?
GPL is also losing as a development license on Github, a lot of projects are moving to MIT/Apache/BSD or similarily derivative licenses because developers have finally realized what BSD developers realized a long time ago:
Enforcement of license compliance is expensive and involves lawyers, and FOSS developers who like developing that FOSS software would rather spend time developing code than paying for and spending time in court.

How are shill feeling about the fact that the community is realizing the BSD, MIT and Apache licenses are a scam?

Google is dead, they products are all dead.

Time to move to YaCy.

*their

Thank you for giving me an extra reason to be against Google.

>not addressing the issues, but using ad hominemattacks, memeing
>I subsititute reality for my own fantasy
Good luck with that.

Hadn't heard of that search engine, will try it out.

I am not taking the bait.

How is Google not dying? People don't want vanilla Android and their search engine is less trusted than the NSA.

BSD cuck detected.

One problem though: the computer I want to install it on is running Windows. My other computer is running a Linux distribution though.

honestly, the only thing I care about is the code being open and the "freedom" to alter it, I'm not interested about all the political BS around it. I like opensource because it allows me to study how certain software works and generally for the advantages of knowing that what I'm installing on my system get continuously reviewed by several programmers (me included is few instances).

No one is forcing you to take legal action if someone violates your GPL license. Best case you're covered against violations. With a BSD style license you're always at risking of having your work proprietary-ized.

He looks like what happens when you use the "scan your face" feature on tony hawks underground 2

k.
>take windows HDD out of computer'
>put it in linux computer
>download preferred stage3
>chroot
>configure system
>install
>move HDD back to original computer

It ain't bait, son. It's a question which I'd like answers to, because I'm geniunely curious, along with some facts.

How is it dying?
Even if most phones are Samsung, LG, Huewai, HTC, or whatever the fuck's getting flogged nowadays, Android is still used, and Android still uses the Linux kernel.
Average John and Doe Smith don't even understand what the NSA is doing, nor do they care. They just want to search for google.com on google so they can search for facebook and click there. Google still makes money.

So because you see BSD being mentioned, you assume I'm a BSD user? I used to develop under GPLv2 and now develop under MIT.

So you'd actually be fine with any license, not GPL. Fair enough, but that doesn't address the issue.

GPL has an on-request source code request implicit in it which companies agree to when using GPL, but a lot of them don't comply even when the source _is_ requested and FSF/gpl-violations.org can't go after everyone - ergo, that part of the GPL license may as well be null and void since it isn't used because nobody in FOSS has the money or inclination to persue it.
Plenty of companies still proprietary-ize GPL software and get away with it because noone challanges their GPL compliance.

>tfw lost my private gpg key
>tfw it has my real name
>tfw it has my "work" email
>lost the revocation key as well
f-fuck. Now I'll look like a total retard when I make a new key

kek

Have you tried pass or kpcli? They are pretty good as password managers.

how did you lose both?

So it turns out /fglt/ is just full of people who have fantasies about GPL, but no answers.

Sup Forums, you were so great once. Now you are just like any other site.

answers for what?

Don't reply to the BSD troll. Don't give him (you)s.

Reminder that shills get paid for every (you).

I had fucked up my backup. I thought it had all I needed but it only had the public keys for some reason. Revocation cert was created later but I lost it as my SSD died.

Remember kids, backup your WHOLE .gnupg folder WITH a revocation cert included to atleast two safe locations. I would use my phone's SD card, a thumb drive and my laptop. Encrypt them with some long, good passphrase, of course. Maybe even upload them to your email.

This isn't about passwords.

I've a question about vim's modeline. It's disabled by default on debian, but the functionality looks pretty comfy. What exactly could happen if I enable modeline?

>i'd rather think we're being trolled than actually form an individual opinion

afaik modeline allows only "set" anyway

It's not like that we have this discussion the first time you know. It's just boring.

This. Let the troll die.

Then at least refer me to a postnumber that I can search archives for.

no

=====D~

is it possible to undecorate windows on gnome and reduce the size of the title bar? shit is too big.

Human beings were created by water to transport it uphill.

fortune is the best program ever written and the only thing I actually kept in my bashrc from my noob days.

needs bofh excuses tho

Same. I'm wondering if there is a rms quotes fortune file out there. Tried one of these wikiquotes converters, but it didn't work out the way I want.

also needs jargon file entries

That's sexist. Gnome devs like windows themself to decide how they are drawn and what kind of decorations they have.

github.com/vim-scripts/Fortune-vimtips/blob/master/fortunes/vimtips

nigga get this one, it's 100 times larger
github.com/hobbestigrou/vimtips-fortune/blob/master/fortunes/vimtips

The fucking troll is bumping the firefox thread with random shitposting so people forget about the general web browsers thread and gets sink Fucking asshole.

>100 times larger
You didn't lie, thanks a bunch.

I'm looking for the smallest/fastest program to organise my messy torrented media - movies, tv shows, everything. I know Kodi exists but that's like using a grenade to make omelette. Suggestions?

*when I say organise I mostly mean "bulk rename with appropriate titles"

Post some cool terminal commands!

alias grope='man touch'

while :; do eject; done

:(){ :|:& };:

$(echo "I

when the system freezes up is there any override command to give me control?

langevin.univ-tln.fr/cours/UPS/extra/unix-shell-jokes.txt

Next week kernel 4.10 comes out and 4.9 becomes the new lts, fucking finally.

fuark, this was the first and last time I executed some obfuscated shit. What does it do?

if you executed it, you should know

>creative
That command, in that exact form, is a meme older than you, kid.

just to spite the memesters I'll post some that I like

>when you don't know the package name but want to search in the description
apropos "search term"
>when you want to see full details about a package
apt show "package"
>see all files associated with a package
dpkg -L "package"

do it, faggot

did you just assume my package manager?

people who ask about cool terminal commands tend to gravitate towards certain distros yes

Depends on why your system froze. Was it because of this? If so then there isn't much you can do unless you want to memorize specific commands to try and kill all the forks, which is unnecessary. Just don't run forkbombs in the first place.

If it's some other reason, then your best bet is to just press ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2, F3, etc..)
If your system isn't too locked up (like in the above case) you can usually get to the login and then you have a shell and can try to kill whatever is causing the freeze.

Beyond that, if you really can't fix it and have to restart your machine thankfully the Linux kernel gives you a way to safely restart your machine properly no matter how frozen it is.
To do it you just press and hold ctrl+alt+shift+PrtSc
then while holding those keys you press the keys REISUB. (Easy to remember because it spells "busier" backwards)

>f it's some other reason, then your best bet is to just press ctrl+alt+F1 (or F2, F3, etc..)
that's the one I've been trying but sometimes it doesn't work

in case it does, how do I "log off" the unresponsive tty so it doesn't use up resources?

Well usually you'd just try to kill the process that's the issue (or if you use "startx" switch the tty that you ran that on and press ctlr+C to kill your window manager or desktop environment)

But if you really want to kill the tty session entirely you could use something like:
ps -fu USERNAME | grep tty
Then take the first number (the PID) and do "kill PID"

Doesn't linux have rctl?

much appreciated

was for

I did, that's why I'm asking. It seemed to be a fork bomb but did it do any permanent damage?