>2017
>Still using a keyboard layout optimized for typewriters
Do people actually do this?

Other urls found in this thread:

minimak.org/
smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/fact-of-fiction-the-legend-of-the-qwerty-keyboard-49863249/
really.zonky.org/?p=1125
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You'll end up using QWERTY no matter what, only thing learning these alternative keymaps does is trip you up when you use a strange computer

>when you use a strange computer
why optimizate for the uncommon case though?

Colemak has enough similarities with qwerty that it's not a very big deal. Been typing in it for 3 years now.

I wanted to switch years ago, then I realized my phone and every other computer I use is still QWERTY.
I switched my friend's layout to Dvorak once, it was hilarious when he tried to google how to change it back, he just got a jumbled mass of random letters

I can still type in qwerty reasonably quickly after switching to dvorak. I rarely have to use other people's machine either.

There's also minimak.

minimak.org/

Basically just remap the most common keys rather than every single key. You can learn the entire keymap (12 keys) or learn a smaller subset with 4 or 8 keys changed instead.

I type fast enough on QWERTY, other things tend to come in between.

Then I type a bit more with my left hand than one is supposed to. The right hand is typically on mouse/numpad/arrow keys. Split "ergonomic" keyboards typically mess my typing up.

I'm pretty happy with pic related

Why shouldn't I?

Because I type really slow when I switch the key layout to dvorak and it's really frustrating.

Wtf is this?

>44.9^2 + 1
>Still using a keyboard based off old typewriters
Do you Sup Forumsuys actually do that?

I don't often need to type faster than 140wpm anyway.

If the symbols were at the same place as qwerty I would've at least given it a try, but no they have to change that too.

I'd like to interject for a moment. QWERTY wasn't optimized for typewritters, it was made to slow people down because typing too quickly led to mechanical failures on typewritters

>QWERTY wasn't optimized for typewriters, it was optimized for typewriters

>it was made to slow people down because typing too quickly led to mechanical failures on typewritters
Stop parroting incorrect information you mongrel.

That's literally false

was going 2 switch but saw study that if you are already proffficent with qwerty, you will only get 5-10℅ increase if switch

I find QWERTY doesn't really slow me down when I program. Thinking of the best way to solve a problem slows me down. Still, my pok3r has settings for

Literally not at all.

I responded to the wrong person

That's what optimization is, it allows you to type more efficiently because your typewriter won't jam every 5 seconds.

Why does it matter whether it is a typewriter or a computer? You're still typing words.

yeah you're wrong
smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/fact-of-fiction-the-legend-of-the-qwerty-keyboard-49863249/
it's the exact fucking opposite in fact, the qwerty layout was refined over the years so telegraph operators would be able type out telegrams faster

>2017
>being autistic
>trying to eek out 5 more WPM by spending 8 months adjusting to a new keyboard layout which becomes useless when you leave your house and have to use a computer at work for instance

I wish dvorak or colemak was the norm, but since I was raised with qwerty, I don't have time to relean it all again.

A simple tweak I do is switch capslock for backspace, thou.

because qwerty is ubiquitous and most everything uses it and is designed for it. dvorak etc. only give marginal upgrades (even that is dubious) and lots of headaches because things like keyboard shortcuts, program key layouts just aren't designed for them. going against the grain isn't really a very pragmatic thing to do in this case

Looks like ASS!

>A simple tweak I do is switch capslock for backspace, thou.
That's actually not a bad idea. I might have to try this.

Would you please elaborate?

>changing to a different key layout
>even though every other keyboard has qwerty
>implying you still can't be extremely efficient with qwerty
I think you are just a shit typer

>no focus on symbols common in programming

Yeah, might as well use QWERTY.

There's a solution for this that changed my and many others' life but I won't share it with the pretentious cunt you are.

I tried being the special autistic snowflake and using dvorak a small handful of years ago. Started getting used to it but the problem arises when you try to use it everywhere else. Not such a great idea for someone who works in IT support and has to do things with other people's computers and you're that 1 snowflake out of a million who uses an alternative layout and end up tying gobbledegook.

>not using an alphabetical keyboard

because changing over would require every adult would need a few hour or day long relearning courses

same reason computer keyboards use a qwerty layout

optimal>efficient every time

I'm left handed. QWERTY is actually more ideal for my typing style than alternate layouts.

if only money wasnt an object

Really inefficient, especially if you switch keyboard layouts a lot (most latin layouts have similar letter positions, with some exceptions like 'y' and 'z', etc.)

I've been using CarpalX for 6 years.

I'm quite happy with it. I carry the a Windows installer for the layout I made with MSKLC with me everywhere I go, whether its on my phone or a keychain usb.

I find that it being so different from QWERTY is helpful when switching between the too. And I can stuff use QWERTY adequately when I need to.

>Do people actually do this?
You damn well know that 99% of the world still uses QWERTY you dilpshit.

1. Whenever you use a computer that isn't yours, good luck with it.
2. You have to spend time getting used to it, changing your keys, changing your settings, etc.
3. I already get 110wpm and my wrists feel great, no carpal tunnel or any bs.
4. I don't want to look like an autistic faggot when other people see my computer.

All in all, switching keyboard layout offers plenty of cons and not a single benefit to me. Explain why I would ever want to change?

QWERTY is actually nearly perfect for me. I learned to type naturally before typing class drilled any habits into me, and I always have found that the technique of keeping my fingers rested on the "home row" uncomfortable and counterproductive, and I don't know why they teach it.

My middle and ring fingers naturally rest on W, E, I and O, while my pinkies rest on A and right on the edge of P and ;. My wrists lay flat on the table in front of me. Dvorak and Colemak's heat-maps that emphasize home-row, frankly, look incredibly uncomfortable.

The only downside of my technique is that sometimes I occasionally miss keys on the bottom row if I'm typing an unfamiliar word that I don't have the muscle memory for already. But it's not a big enough problem for me to change layouts.

I've already developed the muscle memory for QWERTY, and I don't want to have to switch keymapping every time I use someone else's computer.

>no high usage for semi-colon
FUCKING DROPPED

I'm used to QWERTY. I know that learning an alternative layout could improve my typing performance in the long run, but doing so would require me to, temporarily, decrease my typing speed to an unbearable level while I learn, and look up the locations of letters in the new layout all the time. The improvement in typing performance is also likely to be so small it wouldn't be worth bothering with in the first place.

but every keyboard and computer that I buy is QWERTY

There has been studies showing that you type only 5% faster on average on a dvorak than with a qwerty layout.

Placebo.

>these heatmaps
Why is E not under an index finger?

>QWERTY wasn't optimized for typewriters, it was optimized for typewriters

lmfao what?

Because the index finger has to deal with 2x as many buttons.

1. When do you ever need to use a computer that isn't yours?
2. Fair enough.

nice keyboard user

how is carpalx? I was very interested in it after learning colemak but looking into it more shows people have criticised it as of late, hard to say if those criticisms are legit though

I was tempted to switch to QFMLWY or a fully optimised layout using my own sample text/library

>typewriters were used for typing in english
>you're typing in english
I don't see what the problem is.

>smoking
dude why, just hang yourself in 10 years, it's cheaper and smells way better

Hold your hands in front of you. Are YOUR fingers flat?

What are the improvement in typing speeds when switching to these layouts

zero, you switch for comfort not speed.

Thanks. It's quite nice to have so many macros possible with F13-F24 giving unique keycodes. I got the idea from this guy:

really.zonky.org/?p=1125

If you've already learned Colemak there is probably little reason to switch. The only criticism I've read was some guy talking about writing his own keyboard effort modeling software who just didn't agree with the params carpalx used.

Since I'm on Arch I lose my keyboard layout every once in a while when the X packages get updated, which is a minor nuisance. But I've written a little shell script to fix it in like 30 seconds. (CarpalX is included in X now, but I don't use it plain, I also rearranged some of the punctuation keys; notice the brackets are on the number row)

Actually I quit smoking years ago. That cigarette pack is full of screws for the back of my monitor, which I was too lazy to screw back in after replacing a bulging cap on it's power supply board.

idk about you guys but i find onscreen keyboard tobe easiest. can do about 30wpm which is nearly as fast as i can handwrite.