Listen to Sup Forums and buy a maxed out mba mid 2012 for $400

>listen to Sup Forums and buy a maxed out mba mid 2012 for $400
>best laptop i've ever had
yeah the OS is bit limited but holy shit this trackpad is godly bros and 4:30 hours of battery on max brightness.
why does some of g like to say macbooks suck?

It's just new Macs that are insanely overpriced, which is what Sup Forums is criticising.

You got a great deal.

macbooks have always been overpriced but those 2008-2014 models were justifiable, they started to fuck up when they took away ports for "muh wireless future"

It's the best computer I've ever owned. Long story but I think that my 2014 Air has actually saved my life in a way.

A new one does kind of suck, considering a sub 1080p display is the only option, but other than that, it's quite a good computer at $1,200 or so, as long as power isn't a priority, but for the average person, that won't matter.

just git a fan m8

>use 13" unibody on bed
>90 degrees for weeks in the summer
>8yrs
(not a single overheat)

I cleaned it once around the 5yr point

>shitty trackpad
just git a mouse m8
>shitty in-dash $2,000 nav system
just use ur mobile m8

unacceptable

mines has been at 100 degrees and still no overheat
unlike my dell piece of shit

i'm not sure about the laptop temperature itself. i only mean, the outside temp is frequently 90+ in the summer, and i usually just have the windows open

>1366x168 tn glare

Install linux over it and it will jump from a 6/10 to a 10/10

>paying $400 for a 5 year old laptop

>4:30 hours of battery on max brightness
that's not all that impressive

your argument is pretty much "the trackpad is good"

it's 1600x900 and it's better than most ips panels on sub 1000$ laptops.

The TN panel they have in Macbooks is a hundred times better than the shit they put in things like Thinkpads, I went from a 2011 Macbook Pro to an X230 and the X230 shits the bed if you tilt it just slightly and have absolutely garbage colors.

I have a 27" imac. It's the best computer experience I've ever had.

Used W541 Thinkpads came with 3k displays and an actual quad core Haswell and Nvidia Quadro. Expressport as well as multiple m.2 if you wanted more. You can find them for around $500-800 burger bucks loaded.

>tn glare
>better than ips

You haven't used a Macbook, and my X230 obviously have the TN screen

it also has the best AR coating i've ever seen on any screen. I can use it outside in direct sunlight and I don't even have to use max brightness.

It also has the best contrast i've ever seen on a laptop

>4:30 hours
what the hell i get 7h of watching meme cartoons with my Thinkpad T420 running macOS Sierra and it even has the 45W TDP quad core processor

I thought macbooks had way better battery.

>shitnux
>improving anything
nope

I kind of want a p50. It costs as much as a new macbook pro, but you get enterprise level CAD specs instead of a facebook machine. Is it too overpriced still?

>t. mactoddler

>4:30 on max brightness
That isn't all that impressive user. My laptop gets around 12 hours on max brightness, and has a higher resolution and better quality screen. Unfortunately its a 13 inch model and a little thicker.
Also $400 is a lot for an ultrabook from 2012.

Can't argue with the Mac trackpad though. they are super nice. I can see how someone would like the OS also.

x230?

How long do you think a modern mac would last me in years? My sister buys used shit from 2012 and 2014 and she does graphic design. I only shit post and play league of legends and watch anime.

Macbook are fine for their price. I have a 2012 non Retina 13" MBP with a 2.9GHz Ivy Bridge i7, 16GB Ram and a Samsung 500GB SSD.

The only thing that I hate about Apple's policy nowadays is that the RAM is soldered to the motherboard and they still only sell their base models with only 8GB.

Who needs 1TB+ Hard drives in times of fast NAS and broadband being available anywhere? (I have a gigabit/s connection at home with OpenVPN running) Who needs muh Gaymen GPU in times of steam streaming? Who needs 50 USB ports?

The only reason why Apple is getting away with limiting the hard drive space and offering shitty GPU options is because people don't rely on a single machine as much as they used to anymore.

Don't get me wrong, I hate Apple as much as the next Sup Forumsentooman, but their portable computers are just so fucking good at what they do that the price for some of their models is warranted (e.g. the 2015 13" MBP)

The trackpad is easily the #1 reason I use a macbook. The quality and the way the gestures interface with the OS are pretty great.

>macshit

i'm using my macbook pro non retina 2012 too. 16gb ram and 250 samsung + 500hdd in optical bay. attaching to my 2k dell u2515h. it's just more than enough for me. I even got my battery replaced recently. there's literally no reason for me to upgrade to another macbook.

I think anything that fits your needs is worth it within reason. If you make a decent salary or your small business or career sort of hinges on it then I would say yes. Context of your personal situation is what matters in these purchases imo. If you're some neet wanting to dabble it doesn't make much sense to drown yourself in debt or material goods you can't afford to have for example.

Poo in the fucking loo Pajeet.

My Chinkpad isn't as pretty but it gets 8+ hours and if that's not enough I have a spare battery... so there's that...

more like a -1/10

>he uses a trackpad
pleb

they do. that battery is likely old as fuck

Comfy shitposting in paradise from my 2011 256gb MBA running only Debian + Cinnamon.

The true Sup Forumsentlemans machine.

>Comfy shitposting in paradise from my 2011 256gb MBA running only Debian + Cinnamon.
>Debian
>Cinnamon
>MBA
gross

>Buying from Dell
user...

>>Implying MacOS is better than linux.
>>>Implying that a restrictive OS that you can hardly do shit on is better than something that can actually get work on and isnt botnet trash.

Are you pretending to be retarded?

I've never heard anyone ever recommend a Macbook Air what the hell are you talking about.

Where?

>cheaper
>retina
>nearly same battery
>better specs
>smaller size
>larger size if needed

Pro is also a great option, but the Air is VERY nice. Still prefer a ThinkPad since my job is a lot of walk-computing

Anyone else use the glossy screen as a way to spy on people behind them

>listen to Sup Forums
>MBA
Bruh, coming from my fingers as I type on a mid-2012 MBP i7, I'm disappointed in your taste.

It's honestly better than the IPS panel on my X230t and the FHD "95% gamut" W530 AND my t450.

They got everything right. Once you get the feel of the velocity sensitive trackpad you are better off than a trackpoint, and I love trackpoint.

Pretty sure Sup Forums praises the MacBook air now

I use my shit Lenovo TN screen as one of those privacy filters.

seriously, tilt your head a bit and you can't see shit

>it's a feature(tm)

This actually seems pretty nice. I don't know why people rave about IPS and viewing angles so much when you are almost always directly in front of the monitor anyways.

Ask me how I know you're
>fat
>autistic
>friendless
>alone
At least one of the above.

On subject: IPS does really well if you have someone over, or are working on something with someone.

Sometimes I place my X230T in portrait mode and use a usb keyboard when I'm working through code.

>that's not all that impressive

It is for a 5 year old laptop.

False. If you had listened to Sup Forums, you would have bought a thinkpad. Be glad you did not listen to Sup Forums.

Not when you have a 6 year old laptop lasting longer

>praising tn
>ever
check this fag out.

he spent $100 on a new battery and a probably even more on ssd and other upgrades just to make his old shitty thinkpad usable

I fucking hate IPS glow though

And I always seem to have backlight bleed issues with IPS laptops

Fucks up my blacks and dark colors

>$100
$45 to be exact

>probably even more on ssd
Well no shit, who the hell uses a HDD as main drive in 2017.

>and other upgrades
a $6 hdd caddy for a third drive

The reason why 'the internet' hates Apple is because the company has a strict marketing policy where third party advertisers are disallowed.

If you think it's coincidence the anti-Apple meme started the same time social media marketing companies started popping up you're retarded.

So a new battery performs better than a 5 year old battery.
Stop the fucking presses.

Are you joking? Apple-hate has been around since at least the '90s. And it started flaring up again when and because Apple started getting popular again.

Microsoft might be cutthroat, but Apple is downright Draconian. Nothing ties a Freedom fag's neckbeard in a knot more than Apple's stranglehold on what hardware it lets its software run on. Even more so back when it used PowerPC processors.

I feel you OP
I had a 2011 MBA for a couple years and it was uber comfy, light as fuck, 5 hours battery, really nice for developing. My only complaints were the poor vertical viewing angle and the 120GB SSD was kinda slow.

Slow in what way ? I thought it was nvme ?

The 2011 MBA used is cheap and plentifull and thanks to its aluminium body ages very well when compared to a plastic lattitude or thinkpad.

Parts are even great. My headphone jack was toast and got a new board for au $30. I was just on holiday at the gold coast and my charger cable broke at the gromet where cable exits the supply from 5 years of honest wear. I thought i was totslly fucked. Get this i googled mac repair and went to a tiny little booth a few kilometres down the road at a little shopping mall. I picked up a genuine fake magsafe for au $50 dollars. I couldnt belive it.

The older Macbook airs are totally Sup Forums approved if you install *nix. If you disagree you are either poor or an autist or never actually have to lug your machine around.

>t. mactoddler

>Microsoft might be cutthroat, but Apple is downright Draconian. Nothing ties a Freedom fag's neckbeard in a knot more than Apple's stranglehold on what hardware it lets its software run on. Even more so back when it used PowerPC processors.
Kinda-sorta, but not really. And they do it in very different ways. Microsoft's approach is "you must use our software, and we'll do whatever it takes to make people buy our software (even if indirectly) and use it". Apple's approach is "we want you to buy our hardware. Run what software you like on it, but if you use our software, do it on our hardware".

"Freedom fags", as you put it, would generally rather run Linux or one of the BSDs, so Microsoft's approach is more offensive to them. They're not usually interested in running MacOS on non-Apple hardware, so that aspect doesn't tend to matter, except to the handful of autists who insist that they must be able to run everything on everything.

>buy 2014 mba
>just dies one day
Guess I'll give memepads a try next time.

See

salty grapes

man you have a nice view

Its what I use too. No reason to upgrade yet!

GG OP for discovering the best value laptop on the market.

Bing this butthurt about being poor that you have shit like this saved.

Buhahhahahaha

I can tell youre poor because youre confusing different characteristics of completely separate apple laptops

>Slow in what way ?
Benchmarked it and was like 100MB/s write. Still not bad for a 2011 disk but 240GB units are way faster.