/pcbg/ - PC Compiling General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/fs4sPs
amazon.de/MSI-Radeon-RX-480-GAMING/dp/B01JGQBMB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487274676&sr=8-1&keywords=rx 480 8gb
pcpartpicker.com/list/J3WcVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/VPzPhq
pcpartpicker.com/list/NFWcVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for r8 my build

pcpartpicker.com/list/fs4sPs

Keyboard is already in the mail, anything else I should change?

Drop cooler, use stock
Get a ~24" monitor. Used they're $50

I've heard the stock cooler is loud and overall pretty shitty, is that not true? As for the monitor, any particular model you would reccomend?

If you're at 1080p 60Hz model doesn't matter. I'm using an AOC 2330V I got for $50.
Current Intel stock coolers are fine

Get Cryorig M9i as cooler replacement. Cheaper, quieter, smaller and slightly cooler than the meme 212.

>cheaper
Don't od on memes there son

A smaller CPU cooler is literally a bad thing

I7-5820k at 4.1ghz
Gigabyte gtx 1060 6gb
X99X Killer 3.1 mobo
Corsair h60 for cooling
Thermaltake 750watt gold psu
My drives are a 1tb wd ssd and a 5tb wd hdd

m9i is $20 and cm 212 is $30-35 tho

I see $20-40 vs $20-30

>didn't even bother looking at benches
Nope.

Anyone know if the m2 slot on the GIGABYTE GA-Z270M-D3H (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z270 is on the front or back of the board?

How well would an i5-6600K at 4.4Ghz + RX 470 8GB be able to run todays titles at high/ultra settings?

50-60 fps 1080p

Thinking of getting
MSI Radeon 480 Gaming X-Stream 8 GB
amazon.de/MSI-Radeon-RX-480-GAMING/dp/B01JGQBMB4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487274676&sr=8-1&keywords=rx 480 8gb
To replace my GTX 960 2GB, it's only 244€ too which is pretty good.

I just wanna know if I should wait for something better, since the GTX 960 isn't completely outdated yet.

Why would you post that disgusting picture?

what about an i5-7500 + GTX 1060?

pretty well

Very likely the same. You said "Todays titles" but there aren't very many todays titles. 1060 is better than 470 but the fps change is only marginal. 480 8GB would be your best choice as it's cheaper than 1060 and better than 470.

Wait until the RX 500 series comes out in a few months. You'll get the Vega architecture, which is "new" as far as I understand it. Polaris (RX 400 series) seems to be the end of the GCN line.

Overclocking does make a significant difference even in games, if money isn't a huge huge issue i would get the K
The 470 will probably handle 1080p high 60fps, you'd probably need a 480/1060 for 1080p ultra 60fps
People are saying the 480 is marginally better than the 1060 now with updates, where it was marginally worse when they were released

Don't really have the money for a K series CPU and Z series mobo plus cooler, so I'm sticking with a non-overclockable mobo and CPU. As for the GPU, I am looking more towards upgrading to a 1070 down the line so I'll most likely be sticking with Nvidia for my GPU.

>I bought one thing from a brand so I have to buy from that same brand 4 years later when I buy thing again
You're literally Sup Forums, just fall for all the memes and you might actually be truly happy

pcpartpicker.com/list/J3WcVY well what do think

Drop cooler
Drop paste
Add 2 x 4GB 2133 DDR4
Add 240GB SSD

Guys this is my first build and I'm getting really caught up over motherboards. Could really use some advice for a tech novice.

I going to be using wifi to connect to the internet due to living arrangements. So I've been looking at mobos with built in wifi.

How does this work? If I get a mobo with built in wifi presumably I don't need a usb wifi adapter? or a wireless network card?

If I get a mobo without built in wifi can I a novice easily just fit a network card? In which case is it just a cost thing whether it is cheaper to buy each separately or one mobo with it built in?

ok im try to be low
pcpartpicker.com/list/VPzPhq

Any motherboard out there with 2011-3 socket that supports 3800+ mhz RAM?

update
pcpartpicker.com/list/NFWcVY

>buying from ayyymd
You are just as stupid as those people expecting anything but trash from ryzen

"Built in wifi" is just a wifi mPCIe card

Sup /pcbg/, I have a haslel i5 and a B85 board, but a friend is offering me a skylel i7 and a Z170 board for cheap. Can Windows 7 survive this move without being reinstalled?

How worth is it to get 16GB of ram instead of 8GB and upgrading to 16GB later?

this, just get a dongle or a wired connection

You probably don't need the optical drive. Also you forgot a case

Just get a PCIe wireless card. Less shit to die on the mobo itself

You're pretty stupid if you can't follow leaks t b q h f a m a d i n g d o n g

Are these meme processors or a legit way to make 10 year old duo2cuo computers somewhat usable?

Just get what you need now. Although 16GB is the best price/GB

480 performs better in most benchmarks than 1060.
Like I said it's a fucking insignificant difference either way, that why I suggest "480/1060" when I recommend these because of fanboy dipshits like you, but if you're gonna bitch about "better" get ready to believe that AMDs top-end GPU is a better deal than nvidias lowest-end GPU.
But that's not relevant, tell me why you think buying a 1070 in the future (which is a fantastic card with no competition) means you need an nvidia card right now (the nvidia card that is more expensive and arguably worse than a 480, by the way)?
I'm basing my advice off of benchmarks and data, I don't give a shit if my pixel coloring hardware was designed by team a or team b as long as it performs
People only become fanboys because they hate other fanboys, don't be a part of the problem.

>Less shit to die on the mobo itself

You can just replace the "built-in" wi-fi with any mPCIe/NGFF laptop wi-fi card from ebay if it dies.

if your motherboard doesn't have built-in WiFi just use a pcie wireless card, you plug them in the same way as your graphics card, just make sure your motherboard has 2 pcie slots

If your motherboard doesn't have mPCIe*

I have case and a copy of win 7

unless you can find a really good deal or need a lot of ram just get 8 gigs. DDR4 will only get cheaper from this point on.

If that's an OEM disc the key is probably locked to your old mobo

not really

I agree, the difference is negligible. I completely understand people who like the AMD cards and don't dislike them for it. The 1060 just fits my aesthetic for my build better. AMD definitely is a better deal, but I'm just autistic about colors and design so I prefer the GPU I picked in this case.

Which card brand are you going with that is both aesthetic and cross-brand?
I can't think of any really, all the AMD-specific cards look dumb and all the nvidia-specific cards look dumb too
The cards that look good are generally cross-brand, unless you prefer a black (or silver) plastic box with shit cooling blower card

What do you mean "not really?" There's no in between with whether a copy is OEM or not.

This is not an appropriate use of the word "aesthetic"
Please use it to describe a something like a sensation, see:
>Which card brand are you going with that has both aesthetic appeal and is cross-brand.

Thanks!

I have used this on my laptop that had win 8

I don't quite understand your question. If you are asking what manufacturer I am buying my 1060 from, I am getting the MSI-produced one. Yes I have seen their RX 480 one but I prefer the design of that or the Gigabyte one better. The MSI version of the 480 is also only marginally cheaper than their version of the 1060 (at least according to pcpartpicker)

Sorry I meant to say which card is A E S T H E T I C *Windows XP ding*
It's a term popularized and bastardized by insecure hipsters like yourself
Also aesthetic: (noun, adjective)

But it performs better
And it's cheaper
And MSI uses the exact same coolers for both AMD and nvidia (this actually used to cause huge problems)
It's still edgy red

>750w

For what purpose?

>bastardized by insecure hipsters like yourself
I literally just told you to stop using the term in the way that you're implying I use it you god damn troglodyte

>i don't know what OEM means
phew

And I literally told you what card is cheaper, better and looks the same as MSI edgy gaymen red

Technically most modern laptops "are aesthetic" as they do focus on visual appearance, good or not, it's not incorrect

The difference in price is only marginal though.

No you didn't, all you told me was some stupid shit about how to use the word aesthetic the wrong way

No they fucking aren't god dammit, aesthetic cannot be used as an independent adjective like a color can be.

Merriam-Webster says you're wrong, look it up

Would you pay more to be 6% worse?

Would you poo in the loo just once, to be 2% better in the games that matter?

original equipment manufacturer

Do you tell lies on the internet for fun? None of these are independent adjectives. The sentence "This computer is aesthetic" would be incorrect as the word aesthetic does not modify a noun that comes afterwards, such as "improvement" or "appeal."

>1060 used to be 12% better in old games
>1060 is now 2% better in old games
>2%
Aging like milk confirmed

Thanks good advice

Sorry I wasn't aware you were an English language learner
All-Salami alley cum, brother

>he can't tell the difference between a noun and an adjective
you are literally retarded
since your so thick, here's an example:
a painting HAS an aesthetic, but a painting IS aesthetically pleasing

another example: a palette of different shades of blue is not a palette of the adjective blue, but the color

You know what's not aesthetic?
Paying extra and getting worse performance

Well of course not, paying extra and getting worse performance can't possibly be a poorly worded use of a word that implies its noun form

It's "aesthetical" you fucking retards
You guys can't even scroll down a little further after finding a counterargument online

It's technically Aisthetic, properly abbreviated to Aib.
Linux can do this.

Pissed of "aesthetic can't be used that way" user here, never seen it used this way but it actually makes sense. Not that anyone will actually stop using the incorrect form.

Proof that the more and more you focus on lingual accuracy, the more and more retarded you sound
Personally I just call it "looks" and never have a problem

I'm going to co opt your post to make another example of my point

"I bought this computer because it is look" is just as grammatically incorrect as using aesthetic in place of look.

I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now. I want to play muh gayms at max settings on 1080p. I currently have an i5-4670k. Can I get away with just upgrading my GPU? I'm not sure if my CPU is going to be a problem or not.

>technology posting in my grammar thread
disgusting

>because of its looks
Like I said, strict conformance to an archaic language makes you sound retarded, even the Webster dictionary realizes that (like how "literally" literally doesn't mean literally)

Yes easily assuming 60hz screen
Get a 480

Some stuff does. I'm sure you would have used looks in a different sentence than the one I made, I was just making a point about how looks and aesthetic should play the same role in a sentence, as a qualitative feature.

sorry

What should I look for if I have a 144Hz monitor?

>perfect adherence to lingual rules
>can't actually get his point across through language
This is the world we have to look forward to
Kill me

No I wouldn't, I'd call it looks whether or not it's correct because 100% of people will understand me
Feels good being a brainlet that can communicate

I sincerely hope you wouldn't say "I don't like that because it is looks" because if so you have a mental disorder

You already got the (you)s explaining this.
I would say 1070 if you're wanting high Hz on new games, a 4670k may have issues reaching that fps often but try it out first, I mean you know you'll need a new GPU anyways, you might not need a new cpu

awesome, thanks my dude

Godspeed, mousebrain user

Because I want to use Cuda with tensorflow

>and he gets a GTX 1060 for that

>use grammar incorrectly, look retarded
>use grammar correctly, look retarded
>Maybe I should just talk in memes

Alright guys give it to me straight, for what reason should I not buy a Ryzen CPU? Because it's sounding pretty enticing.

It will be late and more expensive than you thought

Those are fairly good reasons

Because AMD always disappoints.
>wait for [whatever the fuck the followup to ryzen is called] it's gonna be great!
This will be all you see in build threads 2-3 months from now.

I'm building a PC on a smallish budget (950CAD) and I'm wondering if it is worth it to go for 2400Mhz ram.

Depends on how much more it's worth