The year is 2017

>the year is 2017
>.jpg STILL the best image format

When are you going to admit JPG is the perfect image format and cannot be improved?

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/google/guetzli
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is it jpeg or jpg?

What did you mean by this

Jotion Picture Experts Group

jpgmasterrace.PNG

jpg is the worst image format

>any year after 2010
>worrying about file size

>jpegmasterrace.png

Faggot.

try that with other complex images and report back retard.
also, what jgp coding did you use?

Trueing

no
better formats exist

its just there'd be too many compatibility issues when using a better new format

jpg works for fucking everything

what about the encoding & decoding speeds? also, disk space isn't much of a problem anymore. jpg is good enough and supported practically everywhere

>weeb shit

wow webp is so cool

after AV1 gets finished, its I-frame compression has a good chance of being turned into the next big lossy image format. same idea as BPG without the patent minefield, plus basically every new consumer device will have hardware acceleration built in within a few years.

>software patents
fucking americans

I pronounce JPEG the way the GIF creators do, as "GEE-PIG."

wuttttt...

>disk space doesnt matter
Disk space is litterally the entire point of using compression. Just store all your images in RAW if you dont care about disk space.

Never, because its quality sucks. I have the perfect reaction image to sum it up, but I can't post it for ethical reasons. Viva la PNG.

What about BANDWIDTH? you GOD DAMN ASSHOLE

You work for Google, right? You probably fucking stream everthing, over and over and god that pisses me off so much.

>Implying FLIF doesn't exist

inb4 that one webm autist

We are moving towards a lossless future. In the future man will look back on lossy compression as a relic born out of desperate necessity, something which was inherently grotesque but nevertheless a necessary evil on our path towards digital nirvana. In the future there won't be any meaningful bandwidth limits, or storage limits, or compute limits for trivial nuggets of information like an image, or music, or even video. Embrace the future - today!

I was jpg's to die

>204 KB

You're like a little baby

That is a fucking work of art. Print that fucker and put it on eBay. Webp can't produce works of art of that quality.

Webp BTFO

jpeg encoders are still being optimized, it keeps giving
github.com/google/guetzli

Terry? Hello?

>What is .png?

we have to go deeper
>1.75 kb

PNG is ideal for low color palette photos.
PNG is good for high color palette photos because no fucking jpeg compression.
JPG is only acceptable for when PNG goes over around a MB.
JPG is excellent for phoneposters cause muh data.

PNG haters are faggots, all of them.

In the future we will all have 1Gbps internet... and 1TB data caps. This is the future we chose.

>literally counting kilobytes
Lossy formats are objectively inferior to lossless formats at those file sizes.

>was already a 0.5 MB png
wew

JPG, like MP3, is a "just werks" format. It's far from the best, being outdated and inefficient by todays standards but none of that matters because it was the first image format providing acceptable enough compression/quality and has since become widespread. You'd be hard pressed to find any device in the last 15 years that does not support these formats. Formats like Muh WEBP have no chance of gaining ground unless the transition is smooth and Stacy can still view her Facebook pictures on her iPhone.

Counting kilobytes matters if you host petabytes of Christmas Parties like 4chins does. Also interestingly webp has better compression efficiency than PNG does in lossless encoding mode.

How does this compare to mozjpeg?

>in the future we'll have data caps
burger detected

It's obviously .png, actually.
>transparency
>lossless
>translucency
>lower file size

F R E E D O M S