Linux is for faggots!

>linux is for faggots!
>windows is so much better
>all you have to do is install is laundry list of programs to do what linux does out of the box
>also you have to install these seedy utilities to stop windows from spying on you
>also you have to disable updates because i don't trust microsoft but i'm gonna use their OS anyway
>also you better make sure to keep up with windows news because microsoft keeps adding new ways to spy on you
>this is ALL WORTH IT YOU HEAR ME??? ONLY LOSERS USE LINUX AND FIDDLE WITH THEIR OS!!

Why do you even use Microsoft Windows in 2017?

Other urls found in this thread:

insights.ubuntu.com/2016/10/31/dirty-cow-was-livepatched-in-ubuntu-within-hours-of-publication/
archive.is/OBGB1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Windows crashes all the fucking time

I've only been using Linux for about a year and half, but it has never ever ever crashed on me.

I think the final straw was when I got BSOD just for leaving my computer sitting idle for more than 20 minutes. Like what was it even doing that made it crash like that? It was idle. There were no programs running. What the fuck was it doing in the background without my permission, and why was it doing it so terribly that it caused it to BSOD?

>install debian
>install anything
>dependencies missing
>install dependencies
>dependencies incompatible
>install older versions
>rinse and repeat for everything ever

Software

>>dependencies missing
On debian.

t. Wintard that doesn't know how to use apt

stop projecting

You've obviously never installed software that uses OpenSSL

>Windows
>Fast

Pick one, and only one.

>his processor is so old and shit that it impacts the speed of his OS

>on Ubuntu
>sudo apt-get install thing
>thing installs without complaining
>dependencies are automatically grabbed
>pretty much no complaints

Plenty of software uses OpenSSL without issue.

Stop posting anime girls doing ok signs.

>install debian
found the bug

You're probably using shitty drivers.

Dependency calculation works exactly the same on ubuntu as it does on debian. Most of the time APT will be able to fix it itself, but in cases like OpenSSL, there are programs that want to use a different version of OpenSSL, last one I remember having problems was znc

Only use programs that insist on the latest version of OpenSSL, and do not use any deprecated functions. Package managers should not be faulted for developers of other applications that are morons.

Honestly, I have no real reason to dualboot other than microsoft office/lending my computer.

This
I left windows after it crashed on me during a research report and it corrupted my hard drive. Fucking ntfs garbage

AT LEAST FUCKING WINDOWS DOES NOT LOCK ME OUT FROM BOOTING
Installed updates on Ubuntu and my GRUB is fucking gone. What the FUCK?

>install Windows 10 "Pro"
>it proceeds to automatically download and install Minecraft Windows Edition and Candy Crusher without my consent

Guess I'm a GNU/Linuxfag now.

its the same with Enterprise unless explicitly disabled. Honestly this shit gets annoying, I even had to download MacType to even read anything properly without squinting myself into oblivion

>at least half of all distros
>decide to install something
>23 required dependencies that are barely at all related to what you want but you can't install without them

>They install all dependencies automatically anyway
also the dependencies are listed in the package itself, so if you think they dependencies are unrelated complain to the person who made that software, its not linux fault

>Installed updates on Ubuntu and my GRUB is fucking gone. What the FUCK?
First of all: >Ubuntu,
Second of all: >my GRUB
Technology-illiterate people should have to manually switch bits with a magnetic needle.

Heh, riffraff.

µkernel masterrace. seL4 masterrace.

>install a program on windows
>accidentally miss a checkbox
>you now have malware on your computer
>"please restart your computer to complete the installation"

oh, don't me wrong, I haven't touched Windows in years, and of course it's a problem with distro maintainers, a reason why there are plenty distros that are almost as bad as using Windows. I just think it's funny that people who complain about shit like often go and start using distros that do

Ever heard of a package manager?

>apt-get

sudo apt install thing. apt-get is now being deprecated.

>get recommend a program from Sup Forums
>oh well everyone uses it, it can't be that bad
>EULA freeware
>deselect the install malware options but it installs a yahoo toolbar anyway
>large toolbar in the program asking you to donate

Lesson learnt. Never listen to windows users.

That's what VirtualBox is for, use the guest additions to integrate the office windows as well and just let people use the VM when using your PC.

Dual booting isn't needed these days unless you're after muh gaems. In which case just use GPU passthrough for the VM.

>spying

>this totally happened

Dependencies that are required to use the damn software. Never mind the fact that Windows applications will include copies of all their dependencies and scatter them about in folders and get left there when you uninstall the application wasting your storage space.

But user, Microsoft admits it

It happens really often, a friend just got his partition corrupted thanks to automatic chkdsk. He had a recent backup so he didn't care much about it and just reinstalled Windows. Just google it, you will find a lot of people with corrupt disks after an unexpected shutdown followed by automatic chkdsk.

yeah, if you do stuff like purchase things through the app store or use their programs.

there is nothing to see there even with that dumb highlighting

>or use their programs
So, Windows?

someone post the webm of the enterprise vm with wireshark open

no, the shit like the dumb calendar app or whatever, stuff that is actual common sense. you realize the shit regarding personal data is stuff you put on outlook.com and in their dumb cloud storage, not your fucking personal machine right?

you mean the one with callbacks to ms with no context, and then a bunch of traffic going to other ip's completely unrelated? yeah, why not post the amazing one where the guy uses the 'ssl decryptor' program to reveal screenshots

I'm not joking. I was typing up a 16 page research report and it took a shit on me. I had it backed up on Dropbox at the time but I only recovered like 10 pages or something. This was 7 years ago

i dont get it, there is literally nothing to see there.

its funny because literally any sort of connection back to going to be considered spying by tools such as yourself

>Open simple menu
>OS attempts to send packet to MS server
Nothing to see here, goy!

you are the one who thinks there is something to see, so prove it. otherwise it is simply the OS checking in for windows updates or something as trivial

>windows
>decide to install something
>The software you're trying to install requires
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable x86
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable x86
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable x86
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Redistributable x86
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable x86
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable x64
>The software you're trying to install requires Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable x86
>Restart your computer to finish the installation
>Shutting down
>Windows is installing updates. Please wait.
>35%
>Shutting down
>Starting Windows
>Windows is installing updates
>Still 35%
>20 minutes pass
>Finally into desktop
>lmao at those freetards and their time sink os
>they can't even gayme XD
>start Steam
>Steam requires an update
>updating Steam
>finally in Steam
>start game
>Installing all the version of DirectX released since the middle ages
>it just werks

For every major and not so major project that chooses to use several hundred obscure or controversial libraries there is a distro maintainer who decides to package it with every obscure library enabled by default. People who develop software for Linux and maintain Linux distributions are not inherently smarter than people who develop software for Windows and some of them aren't even smarter than Windows devs. I'm just saying that there are plenty of projects/distros that are as bad as Windows in that regard.

So prove to me there isn't something malicious going on here, show me the code
oh wait :^)

sounds like what I have to do half the times I want to set up a game to run on wine. except for the restarting part.

So running Windows games on Linux is actually easier than running them on Windows?
wew

you are the one initiating the argument, so you need to back it up with more than webms you got from here.

if microsoft really wanted to hide traffic they would simply do it, they run the kernel they could easily make traffic not appear to programs running locally which would stop half the retards who think they are making the point.

and even if they released the source you would just wait for someone to tell you what you wanted to hear. no one finds something? welp they are just paid by the nsa or someone else.

meanwhile, bugs linux get discovered that remained in the open for decades, so dont for a fucking second try to argue the open source bullshit

How much do you get paid? You don't do it for free, do you?

This.
So many this.
Why the fuck does it do this?
I get the ((((backwards compatibility)))) meme, but jesus fuggin christ.

not an argument, but for the record how much does the fsf pay you?

>if microsoft really wanted to hide traffic they would simply do it
No they wouldn't because they know they have an army of wintoddlers who will do mental gymnastics to try and say that its nothing to worry about

>meanwhile, bugs linux get discovered that remained in the open for decades
Bug was UNDISCOVERED for 9 years, but patched in fucking hours insights.ubuntu.com/2016/10/31/dirty-cow-was-livepatched-in-ubuntu-within-hours-of-publication/

And the bugs in Windows are fixed immediately, right pajeet? archive.is/OBGB1

patched immediately after made public, who knows how long the nsa was utilizing them? if linux runs on so many devices just like Sup Forums loves to say, thats a long time and a lot of devices to compromise.

not an argument

>One of the worlds largest companies doesn't pay shills, goy
>But surely this non-profit organization is paying you to prove me wrong!

This is basically what made me switch. I leave my computer on 24/7 but I'd wake up and find out it had crashed during the night. I got fed up with it so I finally moved to Linux.

>checking for updates
>exactly after typing something in the search bar
Sure thing, Pajeet.

to be fair, last time I had Windows on bare metal (or even virtual metal, now that I think of it) was about 6 or 7 years ago and I never had to install C++ libraries, let alone in two architectures. And they seemed to have taken care of (most) of the rebooting too. At least I remember always hitting cancel when they asked me if I wanted to and I never had problems.

again, I hate Windows and think it's a lousy OS for many reasons, just the ones you are meming are retarded and only detract from your argument.

Going to ignore this link again, pajeet? archive.is/OBGB1
MS can hide bugs as long as they want and let themselves or the NSA use them if they want, you can't defend that. Just give up and go take a poo break out in the street

Literally just reinstall grub, it's not like your partition table is destroyed.

Hello Stefan Molyneux. Go back to where you came from.

Actually installing Windows after GRUB will wipe GRUB so you cannot boot into other OSes
But surely this is just a bug, r-right?

Wontfix

Are you me?

My friends W10 stopped updating and would just hang before finishing, then one day the force update rolled through, he goes to turn on his PC in the morning and the disk is no longer detected. Had to reformat his C drive and start over.

This is not me. That said, what I described in the greentext wall is something every Windows user has experienced. Wine doesn't have this problem because it contains its own C++ libraries and tells Windows software to use that instead. Here, have a picture of my control panel in a computer that I use exclusively to play games.

I'm a microsoft employee. Microsoft is basically divided into 2 camps. The indoctrinated: they're literal mindless zombies. Any interaction with them will have you ask aloud how it's possible for a human to reach this state. The actual people: they all hate microsoft products openly because they're all shit. For example, skype for business is well-known to crash all the fucking time. Another example: yammer is beyond retarded. A recent comment, ON the internal yammer, about yammer, went something like that: "why doesn't yammer delete the thread when the top post is deleted? That would make sense... oh right... it's yammer.". People who work at microsoft and aren't zombies do so because they feel great being able to tell family and friends about a feature they implemented in a product that millions of people use, and that's the only reason they're at microsoft.

As for linux, the non-zombies consider linux to be of a different breed than osx or windows. However, they weep at how well apple made osx work compared to windows, how seamless the experience is (while they see linux as a more involved OS to use, they don't have much bad to say about it).

>picture of a screen
what the fuck are you doing

>fsf is bad somehow
off yourself communist

Being a lazy phoneposter, what does it look like?

>supporting the FSF
>calling other people communists
KEK

Office works fine in Wine and has for like 15 years.

>Why do you even use Microsoft Windows in 2017?
Because linux is an unusable piece of shit.

you find the device in lspci and then blacklist it in a single file

fuck off with this fud shit

>lspci
That's the exact same thing except it's for PCI instead of USB you fucking faggot

In the first place, to even get to device manager requires 50 clicks. Checkmate microtard.

>50 clicks
Maybe for a lintard.

For microsoft IT staff actually. The internal, so-called "smart hands", too.

Maybe if the IT guy was a lintard.

(You)
But to be fair, every microsoft employee is anti-microsoft, so.

(You)
You're fucking retarded if you need even 1 click to bring up device manager.

kek

echo 'SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{product}=="SAMSUNG_Android", ATTR{authorized}="0"' > /etc/udev/rules.d/disable_phone.rules

>Needing a GUI to interact with devices
>Calls Linux unusable

BECAUSE THERE ARE NO FUCKING GAMES YOU AUTISTIC FUCK

>needing to read a fucking wifi just to perform a basic OS function
>calls linux useable

Debian just works

wiki*

>install windows because I need it for games
Feels bad man

Because I feel the same with 1500$ hardware as with 100 $ hardware on linux.
Buy modern hardware and running linux is waste of money.

>all you have to do is install is laundry list of programs to do what linux does out of the box

Its the other way around, m80

Maybe you should try running actual software.

>its the same with Enterprise
are you shitting me?

jumping krishna