Is there any way to power an ssd through the mobo instead of directly from the psu other than m.sata?

Is there any way to power an ssd through the mobo instead of directly from the psu other than m.sata?

m.2

Install gentoo on ssd

You can also buy sata power splitters if you ran out of plugs.

I want to not plug my ssd into my psu directly at all but through the mobo
Ita actually strange that no one alreadt thought of it since ssds draw so little power

So, you have autism?

Usb header?
It would be a cluster fuck tho
Usb splitter - male to female - female to male - usb to sata (power)

Cheap usb to sata power adapters are dangerous.

M.2 would work but its extremely restrictive which is why its unpopular and expensive
I want something with a cable

Possible solution, but yes its a clusterfuck, i would need to send my wires outside the case

No you wouldn't

theres no point, you would be adding an unessecary connection on the motherboard, plus increasing the required trace thickness to deal with turning the mobo into an expensive wire, make custom wires if you want to, like a single 12v + common, then stick some small VRM's to convert to other voltages needed

Get a Thin ITX motherboard, they have power headers for hard drives.

>13 replies
>nobody asks the important question

Why?

NVMe.

Well for me its becuase i separated the psu from the other components.
However as a general inquiry, i think the question has merit. SSDs have tiny as fuck power draw yet currently need their own power lines running to the psu. Why not incorporate it into the mobo like case fans for example? It would reduce wire clutter immensely

Any examples? Im running an itx mobo but ive never heard of a power header for drives

>theres no point, you would be adding an unessecary connection
As opposed to an unnecessary cable?

The cable would still be there, it would just be running from the motherboard instead.

you mean m2. m2 can also be sata
nvme is a protocol
because of idiots like you, people buy the wrong ssd

>unpopular and expesive
you're a fucking idiot

dn2800mt

>everyone lives where you live

>integrated mobo
Loool

For what purpose? Where do you think your motherboard is powered from?

Any Asrock board with a "DC" or "TM" in the model number.

i know how to make a pc derp
I separated the heat and sound components and put them in another room and the wires go through the wall

>The cable would still be there
Why though? My laptop has one cable for both power and data, it just has a wider connector.

So the PSU and mainboard are on one side of the wall, and the ssd is on the other side?
Again, for what purpose? Do you swap SSDs daily or something?

Not OP but i think maybe PSU and radiator behind the wall in the other room, whereas ssd mobo gfx and the rest are in his room.

You can draw from the mobo via the usb pinout. You're smart enough to figure this one out.

Damn didnt check last post before replying
got it right

Well, if he can assemble a liquid cooling system that goes through a wall, then he should be able to solder an extension to the stock SATA power cable from the PSU.

This is something like what im after will check it out and see how easy it is to find thx

pure autism

I dont have tools that allow me to do any advanced wire work. Even all the case mod tools i used i borrowed from an interior decorator friend of mine.
Of course i can just daisy chain an extension wire through the wall but like i said above i find that having to run some wires through just to get the 10w that my ssds need to be inelegant

>complaining about autism in the tech board of an austrian pied piping forum
Meanwhile i enjoy shitposting without any heat or soubd from my pc

Just cut a sata power cable and route to the pinout and make your own connector.

>make my own connector
?? I dont have any wire tools

>I dont have tools that allow me to do any advanced wire work

Splicing an extension into a SATA power cable is the simplest soldering job imaginable. You need like $15 worth of tools and supplies.