Can you write Software that can destroy Hardware?!

Can you write Software that can destroy Hardware?!

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/computing/239268-spotify-may-killing-ssd
usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/10/04/johnson-johnson-warns-insulin-pump-hack-risk-animas/91542522/
media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7273-unpatchable
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

you have to make the hardware first

Absolutely.

nVidia drivers come to mind.

CIH virus essentially did that in the late 90s. It just bricked the hardware, though - but I'd imagine with the right hardware, you could make a program to physically destroy it (i.e. make it blow a capacitor or something.)

I think it's pretty hard nowadays, but it's been done. Stuxnet did that to an Iranian uranium enrichment facility.

I'm not sure, but I remember reading about some malware that could make your printer catch fire somehow.

You could write software that could disable safeguards in the device's firmware and command it to operate above its maximum capabilities. This requires the device to be written insecurely, so you'd only be able to do this with minor little gadgets such as internal insulin pumps and automatic defibrillators.

I made a hack once to explode a van

@58987378
Hello, my name is Brooke Baldwin and I work for CNN.
Would you be interested in an interview?
Please contact me on Facebook @BrookeBaldwinCNN or on Twitter @brookebcnn

this

kek

Go team red! Fine wine.

Killer pokes used to be commonplace once. On some systems you could increase the display resolution to the point where the yokes in the monitor would catch on fire. Or burn the stepper motor in a floppy drive by making it rapidly move back and forth.

Yes. On a system with a SSD, you can just have a program write a file offer and over until it wears out the drive.

so you'd only be able to do this with minor little gadgets such as internal insulin pumps and automatic defibrillators.

Oh, you mean Spotify?

extremetech.com/computing/239268-spotify-may-killing-ssd

>Can you write Software that can destroy Hardware?!
No.
>Can you write Software that can brick Hardware?!
Yes. Overclock stuff to shit, overwrite important hard drive sectors and flash bios.

Isn't it possible to overclock some components and turn off the cooling?

You can control fan speed from software with most motherboards, then I guess you could just max out the processor. Also I think you can do similar with gpus.

It will probably turn off before any critical temperature is reached though.

Can it be programmed to not turn off?

>tfw you don't use the app but the browser player instead

Feels good

Yes, although usually you don't want it always on.

You install software to turn it at a specific temp, go faster at another temp, etc.. saves power, also less noise.

So you can potentially run a program that does that while maxing out the CPU and GPU and lowering the fan speed to its minimum.
Wouldn't this severely damage the hardware?

Yes
Look at Stuxnet

Some examples:
- CRTs could sometimes be destroyed by increasing the frequency
- Plebian destroyed my soundcard one time (don't ask me how)
- Making your soundcard clip/play extreme middle range sounds/extreme dynamics might destroy the speakers, in particular in laptops

It will likely turn off before any damage is done.

You see it happen with old laptops packed with pounds of dirt, hair and other shit blocking the fan/intakes.

I think the BIOS is what handles that.

And is it possible to write malware for the BIOS to prevent that?

You could make some kind of device that would damage hardware on command and then make a software to activate it.

Maybe, there might even be a setting for it. Although I think the CPU itself has something like that to turn itself off when it overheats.

Although you might kill it(severely damage it life-span) by constantly running near that limit for extended periods of time.

That's a funny way of spelling AMD

I see, thank you.

Yes - Microsoft's telemetry

Reduce the average life expectancy of your HDD by 50% if you don't plan on Blackbirding it

This is not a meme btw

>if you don't plan on Blackbirding it
what did he mean by this?

Okay guys, let's make a hack to blow up computers, alahu akbar

Baconshallah and much booze my friend

Flash BIOS with random garbage data (Technically possible to recover from but very difficult)
Send random commands to laptop battery controller until it bricks itself as a safeguard measure (Blows a fuse inside the battery)
Overwrite GPU firmware with version that has no temperature control and disables the fans, then put it under heavy load
etc.

severely underrated post

someone post the gif already

Well if you consider your body hardware, and your autistic brain software, yes.

Hello Aiden.

How would you even go about this? How would you introduce a virus to a fucking insulin pump? I'm like 99.9% sure they're not networked, and I can't find a USB port on mine for the life of me, but surely Sup Forums has a way.

usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2016/10/04/johnson-johnson-warns-insulin-pump-hack-risk-animas/91542522/
First source I found, didn't keep looking to prevent doom and gloom setting in.

media.ccc.de/v/32c3-7273-unpatchable

how about something that disables the pagefile and then forces the OS to load random garbage until the memory is completely filled? then repeat whenever the OS is restarted. it wouldn't kill your PC but you wouldn't be able to do shit.

That's not my model. That said, I'll eventually have a model that's vulnerable. Maybe some dork will OD me in my sleep.

The Mars Climate Orbiter - over $500 million spent on misson, destroyed by a metric-to-imperial conversion error.

Ariane 5 Flight 501 - destroyed by an integer overflow bug, resulting loss of rocket and onboard spacecraft costing more than US$370 million.

Two $150million F-22 Raptor aircraft crashes - by different bugs.

Bugs in the FADEC software of the Chinook helicopter were at least partly to blame for the crash of ZD576 and death of 29 people.

>I think the BIOS is what handles that.
The CPU has built-in thermal protection. fun fact: Intel implemented this before AMD which spawned the exploding athlon meme.

you hack a military drone, and use it to blow up whatever HW you want to destroy.
no seriously, specify your question better

find out how it gets its updates, and then trick it into receiving an update that is of your own making.

shred -n 5000 /dev/MY_SSD

They communicate to blood glucose monitors and diagnostic devices over BT/ proprietary RF, usually this is insecure/ only encrypted with the device mac/ serial.

Most insulin pump devices have already had their comm protocols documented by the nightscout project.

The bios is on a read only chip, so no.

do you even know how bios updates work?

who is this Sup Forums?