Have you jumped to 4k yet?

Have you jumped to 4k yet?

Because it is a meme.

The human eye cannot actually see above 360p. This is why we have two eyes each 360+360 = 720p.

You forgot one eye; the minds eye. Therefore 360+360+360=1080 is best.

When are HDR PC monitors coming? Are operating systems even ready?

Tbh i am still at 768p resolution

Yes.
Still watching the same 1080p content and 720p chinese cartoons on it, still feels great since I made the jump from 42" to 60"

>Hey guys! Look how rich I am! I can afford an *even smaller* GUI!
Let me guess: You're a Mac user.

I'm not looking to start a flame war, this is purely subjective, but I can't tell the difference. 4K just comes off as forced innovation for the sake of getting money from people with disposable income or who need to have the latest tech for their social appearance. I can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K, so I don't care.

TV: yes
Monitor: no

You can't really even find a decent quality TV these days that doesn't already have 4k and smart features. The content might still be sparse but at this point you're not really paying a premium since it's already the standard.

Monitors are another story. I'm starting to wish mine had higher resolution but 4k is way overkill for ~24". I think a 1440p 27" would do me fine.

ill do you fine

>bought ~30" fullHD TV
>can't even really notice the difference between 480p and 720p

>I bought pic related and it was overkill

Returned it 6 months after buying

I actually bought two as the first one had a dead pixel on the middle of the screen, the second one also had a dead pixel, but it was on the far edge of the screen and not view able unless you shifted your perspective.

>DONT BUY 4K FROM AMAZON BUY FROM THE MANUFACTURER

32 inches is too small and I have perfect vision get 40+

I just jumped to 1080p

4k is only worth it on massive 55+ inch displays.

First one is coming out just came out.

Basically wait a year or two for cheap 4K HDR monitors and for the gpu's to be cheap enough to drive it.

I want one for sure. But I'd probably just get another laptop before spending money on a monitor

Pic very related

I did two years ago, and will jump the fuck on 8k the moment that a decent 40"+ display drops below $1.5k.

Nice huge screens are only possible with 4k at the moment (5k being stuck on 27" panels for whatever reasons), and I care more about that than anything else at the moment.

Not until I can get it at 144Hz.

no

Why switching to 4k when 21:9 34" 3440x1440 exists

>no scaling needed

I got 2880x2160, does that count?

This desu. 27" 1440p is the sweet spot. 4k ruins gpus, eyes and bank accounts.

lol

Full HD is the best resolution

You can't get better than Full, it's all the way up.

2k is just fine

Pretty much. 24" is around the sweet spot for 1080p

yes but I'll replace it with that hideous 144hz 4K HDR Gsync monitor in a few months

I wonder if any cp is available in 4k.

I'd rather have 60hz>144hz as a standard rather than 1080p>4K

>yet
You say that like at some point I will.

Nope, 720p laptop and 1080p TV

I will when there is a 4K OLED 24 inch monitor that reaches over 200 HZ and offers G-SYNC.

>Have you jumped to 4k yet?
>mfw notebook manufacturers are deliberately switching back to 1366x768

I still have never adopted Blu-ray. But I do have a nice comfy lil Vizio in my room that does the job fine. Nothing fancy but does have some built in apps.

That TV looks nice and comfy for some nice old school gaming with the flat tube. Got any classic systems?

Because 4k is gay.

Yes and it is amazing, there is an incredible amount of detail that you miss out on at 1080p. But don't buy a screen less than 50" or so or you won't be able to notice the difference.

>i cant tell the difference between 720p and 1080p, 1080p is just forced innovation

that poor table

>HDR
>Quantum Dots

This

>50"
lol ew so small and tiny

>4k and 8k

Rock hard meme

My cable provider can only send 720p

text on 4k looks damn good

4k is not overkill for 24" but 28" would be better

40" monitors needing 8k confirmed.

That's the dumbest thing I've read this week

4K NON-ULTRA MEME ULTRASHARPS WHEN

4K 144HZ IPS THIN BEZEL WHEN

MONITOR MARKET IS FUCKING GAY

GIVE US WHAT WE WANT. IF DELL CAME OUT WITH A 144HZ 4K OR EVEN JUST A 144HZ ULTRASHARP 1440P I WOULD BUY 4 OF THEM RIGHT NOW

>GAYMUR BEZELS
>MUH 180HZ
>MUH GAYMUR INSPIRED DESIGN

RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>new

My phone is 4k. Does that count?

rock hard?
rock hard?
rock hard?

did you just say ROCK HARD?
Why is this relevant?

One of these days. I'd like to upgrade my TV on 4k, but I don't think I'll be upgrading the monitor anytime soon. Still waiting for UHD 120Hz+ and a card that can drive it comfortably so that's what, 2 years of waiting?

Got a 4K monitor back in 2014. Upgraded recently to a 4K HDR TV.
Half of this board shitposts about 4K like they know nothing about it. I never got how having more pixels to work with is somehow a meme.

underrated

Nah.

27'' 1440p is the best you'll get.

4k at 27'', the content will be too small..

Anything over 27'' is too uncomfortable and you'll have to move your head to see parts of the screen.

I'll stick around a bit to answer any questions about 4K if there's any, will answer otherwise when I wake up if this thread is still alive.
By the way, Windows still has bad scaling support, but otherwise works perfectly with it disabled.

Go to the doctor.

144hz 1440p or 60hz 4k for gamin?

Definitely a higher refresh rate if it's something serious and competitive, but otherwise 4K for everything else.

>notebook manufacturers are deliberately switching back to 1366x768
To reduce power consumption?

Scaling becomes a bit of an issue on a 27" at 4K, I've got the monitor set fairly close though so it isn't that much of a problem for me in most applications.

In some video games it is irritating though, since you cannot adjust the UI and changing scaling on windows often breaks things or just don't look right. Some icons End up too small for comfort.

saving up for triple 5k displays tbhwyf

Not really necessary for smaller displays.

>inb4 calling me a 1080i cuck
Law of Diminishing Returns. Look it up.

need 144hz and a decent gpu (>titan X pascal)

so maybe in ~2 years

I have a 4k 24" monitor

Text is crystal clear and easy to read, even compared to my old 1440p monitor

I play games @1080p because i dont play enough to buy a GTX 1080

The backlight's the big power hog when it comes to LCD screens and that remains a constant

#4KNoWay

The only people on this memewagon are purchasing them to replace their 3D HDTVs.

For TVs the view distance is generally larger, as far as 2m+ so the display would have to be large enough to notice a difference in detail.

With monitors the viewing distance is generally much smaller so you will notice a difference much more easily. In my case I am seated very close around 0.3~0.5 m away. I can easily notice a difference between 1080 on a 24" and 4k on a 27".

>barely any 4K media
>most is 1080p upscale or low bitrate garbage
>GPUs not yet truly ready for stable 4K gaming
>UI scaling is awful, can be near unreadable depending on the size of the display
>most 4K panels are powered by recycled hardware that struggles with the signal processing, so real world input latency is comparatively very high

4k is a meme, but 2560x1440, and 2560x1600 are where its at.

I've had a 4k 28inch for a while now, pretty good

>4k 24"
I've got 1080 24". It sits 45-50 centimeters away. That's what I consider being a max display size for 1080. You should have went for 1440p. Max size for that as a monitor should be around 27".
My eyes are a little fucked but even then I can see that you've went a bit tarded with your resolution. But each their own. I will admit that looking at high res images would be good for you, but text renders don't need that much. Unless you're doing split tabs and making your text stupid small but doing that for the general user is a hindrance than an advantage. Much rather get a second display.

I'm waiting for 4K Freesync 2 displays with a GPU that can drive it. I doubt we will see OLED displays and QLED is still somewhat far away (Don't believe Samsungs marketing lies).

Thats a 4k monitor?
I can really see the difference. You have me thinking of upgrading

gimme UHD at 32", VA, and Freesync. 60Hz is all I need. oh and not crazy $1K+ expensive.

Yeah, I love it

Not much content tho

I've got a 27" 2560x1440. Pretty glorious, but it's a bit tough on the eyes. Would be better if it was 30".

4K just is too expensive for what you get out of it at this time. Probably around 2020, maybe for Christmas 2019, I'll take a closer look at what's on the market and compare to cost and what it would be good for.

I don't see anything under 36" for 4K as viable. I have seen some 40" at 4K that I'd consider, if they were affordable.

Assuming 8K isn't The Thing in 2020, I would guess right now that a 40" 21:9 ultra wide for 4K with a proper curve all under $400 is about the spec crossover points that would grab my serious interest. At that time, I'll probably be in the market to put a pair of them up, probably with such a thin bezel that the center seam will make it look like a 42:9 ultimate wide.

>I can really see the difference
>on a lower resolution display

It's like someone showing a side by side comparison video in 60fps and 144fps but you are watching on a display capped at a refresh rate of 60Hz.

nah AdobeRGB is better than rez for me. aint gonna bust two nuts on one monitor until its worth it

who 3440x1440 here?

I'm at 12981298371283x1293192381

get on my level

No, it's too dense for me. I need a pixel density close to 24"/1080p.

That's my next monitor's res, currently using 1680x1050 and 1920x1080

Been at 2560x1440 for 7 years.

Been at 1366x768 for 7 years.

you lie

No currently on 1440p,144hz as im waiting for the PG27UQ 4k 144hz. to come out

>TV: yes
>Monitor: no

this

no

I have an HP ZR30W
There haven't been any monitors out that I've desperately wanted to upgrade to.

When there are 4K 144Hz Freesync 2.0 monitors out, I might upgrade.

HD CRTs are actually generally bad for retro gaming, many have upscaling that you can't disable

nice lamp user what kind? also digging the keyboard pls share

laptop: yes
gamin rig: no, 1440p 144hz

Always the lamp questions. Something from a company called Qazqa.
Keyboard is just a Pok3r with a few keysets mixed together that I had lying around.

(You)

Fucking what? The windows scaling support is even better than it used to be. I have a 24" 4k monitor and I am enjoying all of my 1080p content perfectly scaled or super crisp 4K rendering. The only issue I've had with scaling is when running .jar files, which I haven't had to do in at least 6 months.

Higher refresh is better than number of pixels for gaming. I'd rather a faster 1080p (or 1440p) monitor if I only ever did gaming.

>The windows scaling support is even better than it used to be.
I haven't seen any changes from Windows 8. Windows itself supports scaling fairly decently, the issue lies in that it can't force all other programs to ever support scaling, and I know for a fact many never will. It still sucks. Even PHOTOSHOP can't do scaling properly, still.

>The only issue I've had with scaling is when running .jar files
Oh yeah speaking of which, Minecraft doesn't support any scaling whatsoever either. Great support, huh?

kek

Two 1080s or one 1440p and one 1080p