Previous thread: >>58964753

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FBfCFHbraVM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Outside of the retarded layout, how is the X240 keyboard in terms of flexing, sturdiness and all shit that we found in good keyboards?

>decide to try W10 on X220
>bluetooth light on
>disable bluetooth things
>still on
>disable drivers
>still on
>uninstall bluetooth drivers and everything related to bluetooth
>still on

FUCK

Windows 10 is so terrible.

I don't know what we are going to do.

When the latest hardware no longer supports 7, how will we carry on? It seems like Win10 just keeps coming out with new downdates that break shit and cause you to have to either spend hours fixing it or just plain reformat.

Can anyone recommend me a heavyweight older-gen model suitable for 3D Design/ has a decent screen? Cheers
Decent battery a bonus

$400 aud for a 2013 x1 carbon? didnt that model have issues or something?

install gentoo

Is the i7 x230 worth spending $50 more than i5 3320M model?

My first T460 arrived. Should it have a webcam? There's a hole at the top of the screen as if there should be a webcam but it's just a grey surface. No webcam.

W700ds

Only if you really need that 5% more power or just plain want the best

I have an i5 x230, don't think i7 is worth it. Would be better to use that money for upgrades.

Found one rather cheap on eBay ~$270 US
Light bleed looks prominent on the second monitor, could get it fixed
What would I be like going from an X201 to this big boy? 5KG weight?

anyone?

Should i pull a T410 for 100-120€? What can it do overall? I would be upgrading it with ssd and use it for general browsing and leenux stuff.

Can I get a price check please?

>W520
>i7 2nd gen
>250GB HDD
>8GB RAM
>NVIDIA Quadro 1000M, 2GB
>15.6'' 1600 x 900

330$

Its a massive pc.

270 is a good price too. I usually see them for 500-1000

install ubuntu and call it a day

seriously, why stay on a sinking ship? I was never part of the linux meme until I bought a new laptop that had Windows 8 on it - it was at that point that I knew there was no going back.

It is 2017 now my friends, and Windows still hasn't been fixed since they came out with the original Windows 8. If they haven't reverted to what is tried and true - that is because they aren't going to.

Better to switch now and make it easy on yourself. While it is true that Ubuntu is easy-babby mode, it lets you switch immediately without having to go through trial by fire, you can do everything you could on windows, and eventually switch distros if you so want.

i dont' game anymore, but to put it in perspective, I was able to run Skyrim on Ubuntu when I still had a gaming PC, before I switched to thinkpads

US? And price varies depending on the exact cpu, i7 2nds gen doesn't mean shit.

Either way, just based on the display, it was probably a low ene w520. $330 is overpriced.

Hackingtoshing my t420 as we speak but I don't have a wifi card for it yet unless I gut an old laptop and find one. Is there a card that will improve my wifi and work with macOS?

Old x1 carbon were pretty shit, wouldn't reccomend an old one over a X/T series. If you want an x1 carbon get at least gen 3. Just be aware x1 carbons have basically everything soldered on except for like the ssd, so buy the exact specs you need.

>Would be better to use that money for upgrades.
Caught you right there. Do not spend money to "upgrade" a 5 year old computer. You will be stuck with it.

There are things like battery life, weight, thickness, DDR4... There are better things in life you can have if you don't put $$$ into an old Thinkpad.

Everybody loves to be memed, but a computer is an important part of life and work these days, don't put yourself through the "old Thinkpad" path.

Press fn and page up
thats a steal
i'd cop

>X230
>old

You must be 18yrs or older to post here

Wat, buy it now. They're expensive as fuck just as a collectors item. If you don't buy it, at least post the link.

Oh

Oh no

I just had a horrible thought

>ThinkPad 25th Anniversary Edition
>2560x1600 IPS screen
>T60 style keyboard
>12 hour battery life
>completely sturdy frame with zero creak, squeeze or wobble spots

>bootloader locked to Windows 10

>When the latest hardware no longer supports 7, how will we carry on?
You won't have the latest hardware. You are in /tpg/

Still using that iPhone 4? Anything else you're hopelessly nostalgic about other than that last wisp of dignity?

What is the cheapest Lenovo with a good 1080 display?

Probably a T520

how can i stop the ultrabay caddy from powering down the hdd ? i've put 2x500gb in my t410 and shared them on the network, but sometimes the one in the caddy get's powered down, and that;'s the one i use the most. The machine is mostly turned off, but sometimes after powering on I have to re-insert the caddy to make it detect.

pls respond

W700ds or W701ds

X240 is a fine sturdy machine, better than the X230 and X220

however the touchpad/clickpad/trackpoint buttons are absolute ass

but you can also swap an X250 assembly onto it

I would not consider *40 series if you did not plan on swapping a *50 keyboard/palm rest onto it

W700ds, this model does not have the Walcom Tablet

Well, I was thinking of doing that and also get the 1080p screen for muh DPI.

I'm using a 4s, works fine.

I got a dock for my X230 and it's fantastic. So many ports, so many display options.

Everyone should buy one. They're going for $30 and less on ebay.

Disable it in BIOS.

I wanted a x220 because of the meme keyboard, but I found GREAT deal for a x230 with 16GiB RAM and 256 GiB SSD. Shoud I just buy it already?

How does this look?

>t520
>i7 2nd gen
>4gb ram
>320gb hdd
>full hd 1080 screen

360 dollars

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger

Fuck the memes. Do it

Seems quite expensive.

You'll still need to add an SSD at least and maybe 8 gigs of RAM. If you don't need an SSD or 8 gigs, you also don't need the i7.

Not really. I think the integrated graphics get a little boost from the i7 IIRC, but for any kind of normie tasks, you won't notice.

t. i7 x230

Thing is, that screen seems to be really hard to come by

After trying it you'll wonder how other chiclet keyboards can be so shit. I was pleasantly surprised.

Swap the meme keyboard into your x230. It's not that hard. I love mine, but during the short time I used the chicletshit keyboard, it wasn't horrible. The backlit one was pretty cool for dark room browsing.

What is a cheap (sub-$100) business class laptop I can use to automate a few web scripts?

T60

tf are you doing in a thinkpad thread? Besides a 3rd gen i5 is enough for most people nowadays, and it will stay that way for the next few years.

>t. linuxshill pro

Trying to get the autist to appreciate the new thinkpads?
I bet that no one has tested one of these and only spouts memes.

Bought a used T430 on eBay as a replacement for my last laptop, how the fuck do I make it stop switching back to 50hz?

The t460 and x260 are the things of dreams. I use a t460 at work. I went for an i7 x260 for $800 but it sold by the time I hit Buy It Now.

Had the same issue, check your advanced power plan options and graphics options. It's probably switching from 60 to 50hz when our laptop goes into battery mode.

If the outlet says "Ships in 3-5 days", when will it really ship?

Yes. In 3 to 5 days.

Can the X220 screen be used on the X230? The X220 IPS screens are easier to find and cheaper than those specifically made for the X230.

How bad is the 1336x768 display on the T420?

The only real reference point I have on me anymore is an old Surface RT and it's not raping my eyes all that badly.

It's not a lot of vertical space but it could be worse. At least for me. I'm used to old Thinkpads and I've never owned a laptop with a higher resolution than 768p. I guess if you're used to more, this won't feel right. I couldn't use it as my main computer. I need at least 1080p to be really comfortable but for a laptop it's usable.

both 900p and 768p are garbage

Well I'm on a craptop with 1080p display right now, thing is that it's kinda starting to smell the acrid smell of a laptop contemplating its own death every time I decide I want to build a project. Been thinking of adopting a Thinkpad to use as the mobile work mule while I gradually phase out my current laptop to a desktop.

I've never been much a stickler for graphical fidelity, running fast matters more to me than looking good.

fucking windows 10.

Yes.

However the older X220 IPS screens suffer from bad burn in issues. This was fixed or at least wasn't as bad in the later model X220's and X230's.

I know because I have an X220 with an IPS screen and bad screen burn in.

I'm not sure if there's a way to tell by the manufacture dates or lot numbers if it's an "old" or "new" screen.

If I had to replace the screen I would go for an X230's IPS screen... The screen burn in is very annoying.

>cherry picked and made a like pristine frakenpad out a pile of used thinkpads

>AYO user WE GOT A NEW SHIPMENT OF THINKPADS IN
>THEY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT THEY'RE YOUR MODEL +10

what do?

What is best model for libre Thinkpad?

the choice for think pads and elite books in the UK is so limited and everything is so overpriced, why is that?

Could i get an opinion on these?

>W500
>Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2×2,40GHz L2 3Mb
>4 GB RAM
>ATI FireGL V5700 + Intel HD Graphics
>120GB SSD
>15,4’WSXGA+ 1680×1050

230$

>Apparently sold as T420 even if it is T420i
>Intel i5-2520M Dual Core 2,5GHz
>500 GB and a 24GB mSATA SSD
>iGPU (?)

140$

way too much there is a w500 for sale in my area with a core 2 duo t9900 and a 1920x1200 display for $100 AUD Lacks an ssd tho

>core 2 duo
Go for it. Penryn is not a meme.

penryn cpus arent that far off first gen core i series am i right?

for that price I got a i3 3120M machine which is basically double the performance of p8600

Penryns are fucking incredible to this day, unless you care about benchmarks.

I considered it a bit too high, too. How about the T420? Would the SSD outweigh the price?

if its in good condition its a good deal, if not its average at best

>i3 3120M
wew lad

Honestly the Dell XPS M1730 is looking pretty affordable now. Especially to ride out the fad of comfy RGB.

It would be fun to take to the coffeeshop with my bros.

also:
>not having retro computing friends
anyone else have retbros?

you poor soul

Thinking about saying fuck it and just carrying a W520. They can't be that heavy, right?

don't those have dual GPU?

youtube.com/watch?v=FBfCFHbraVM
wtf

damn

Ok it can play Crysis, so what?

fuck i remember these back in the day, configuring them on the dell website. I fucking frothed them.

Damn, how did these stay under the radar?

they didn't
that's why Sup Forums doesn't know that much about them

because HP is American and ThinkPads were also American under IBM

so importing and taxes and VAT and junk would have made them extra expensive to begin with, meaning businesses and individuals would be less likely to adopt them

It can get dubs AND run Crysis?

Good to know. It's just that finding X230 IPS screens is kinda hard, at least in Germany. I don't want to import stuff but the only new IPS screen I found on ebay was 260€. That's bullshit. Anyways, thanks for the help. I suppose if I buy a new X220 screen that hasn't been used before I should be fine.

Do you have any experience with the classic keyboard on newer models? From what I've heard you have to flash the BIOS to use all functions. If I do that, will the new keyboard still work properly? I guess not.

X220 or T420. I think these are the newest models that can actually run a free initialization program.

Hello I'm new to computers. Is a ThinkPad worth buying or should I waste my $1,000 on a MSI or MacBook?

macbook only buy if a thinkpad if you want
>shit battery life
>shit screen
>plastic
>thick bulky and heavy laptop

>shit battery life
for the last time people, buy a new battery. BUY A NEW FUCKING BATTERY

>shit screen
there are good resolution options. what more do you want? these were designed to edit text and spreadsheet. if you buy one for all your media needs you're obviously in the wrong

>plastic
at least every part of the case (which is actually enforced with metal) is replacable. if you drop your macbook and the unibody gets a ditch it's basically ruined because the unibody is 90% of the reason to buy a macbook.

you should be more concerned about footprint actually. if 2-3kg is too much for you you might just be a manlet.

>Hello I'm new to computers.
Leave. Seriously. You do not want /tpg/'s help. Go watch some reviews. look for something newer i7 on ebay. Thinkpads are good. t460 with i5 can be good. MSI isn't all that bad. Leave now, you don't know the memes you are about to fall for.

Yeah right, enjoy your tablet with a keyboard (sometimes mistaken for a laptop) that doesn't even have an ethernet port.

Don't tell him!

leave, before it's too late.
get a T4** or a X2**

>implying a macbook would pass a single mil-spec test
>implying a macbook can be used to type anything more than a whatsapp style text message with it's mouse button grade keyboard. my nexus 7 keyboard case was more comfortable than your shit.

So Thinkpads are not good for gaming or youtube?

God, no. These aren't multimedia laptops. They're office computers. Graphics performance is passable at best and the screens aren't made for media consumption or creation.