Get fancy new pic related

>get fancy new pic related
>pull it out of the box, don't even charge it
>reimage to fresh Win 7 Pro install
>install my normal programs
>after an hour of working on it and reimaging the thing, says 7 hours of battery left, 85% remaining
>very impressive
>shut lid, go to sleep
>wake up, open XPS
>dead, battery life critically low, press F1 to continue
>plug in, battery charges
>work on it throughout the day, battery fully charged
>watch cartoons on couch on battery for 2 hours
>8 hours left, 90% remaining
>nice
>shut lid, go to sleep
>wake up, open lid, it's dead

Why is this and every fucking Windows computer's power management so fucking stupid? Why doesn't it truly go to sleep when I shut the lid? I adjust the settings to tell it to, but something either wakes it up while the lid is closed, or the battery just drains while it sleeps. This happens with almost every Windows laptop. Is it the OS, or the OEM that's fucking retarded here? Macs literally do not, and have never, had this problem. I could shut the lid on my 2010 Macbook Pro, put it in a drawer for 3 weeks, and open it up to 5% less battery and all my applications still there.

>Win 7 Pro

theres your problem

Win 10 is superior

I don't know man. I don't think I've ever used the sleep feature.

>Win 7 Pro
there's your problem, Win 10 or go home kiddo

This is a horrible user experience. Every time I'm done using the computer I have to make sure nothing is "running" so to not wake the machine mid sleep. Every time I open the lid I know there's a 50% chance it's been draining the battery on it's own. Changing the lid behavior doesn't matter. Sometimes the battery doesn't drain and it's just as I left it, sometimes it does and it's dead and I immediately need my charger. How do you people deal with PCs??

>>Win 7 Pro
>there's your problem, Win 10 or go home kiddo

Pretty sure laptops existed back when Windows 7 was the latest MS OS. Not a valid excuse or reason.

>laptop specifically build for win10
>he didnt use Win10
>complains about dumb sleep function errors
>Sup Forums

why is this board so shit?!

>install 10 year old OS
>wonder why its shit

>I could shut the lid on my 2010 Macbook Pro, put it in a drawer for 3 weeks, and open it up to 5% less battery and all my applications still there.
Did you try putting mac OS X from 2001 on it? That's essentially what you're doing here.
>Hurr why won't my nine year old OS support battery saving features on my brand new laptop?
I have no words for how dense you are.

Windows 10 would explicitly solve this problem?

Are you using hibernation or sleep mode?

>Pretty sure laptops existed back when Windows 7 was the latest MS OS. Not a valid excuse or reason.
Holy fucking shit you're dumb. What are you even doing here? You obviously have no interest in technology, were you hoping for help?

USE HIBERNATE

WE LIVE IN THE SSD ERA YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE

>Falling for Dell shills

>I have no words for how dense you are.

I literally asked if it was the OS or OEM's problem in the OP. You mean to tell me literally every Windows laptop pre-Windows 10 suffered from this glaringly obviously awful user experience flaw?

People have been putting up with the "close the lid and either put it on a charger or hope it's alive when I open the lid" game up until 2015?

Sleep. I will try hibernate.

If hibernate is the solution, then what reasonable purpose would sleep have in a laptop?
OK

To put this a way you might understand, if you installed windows 98 on a new desktop, would you be pissed off if the USB 3.0 ports didn't work? No, of course not. That hardware didn't exist when that OS was made and neither did any of the power saving features in use in your laptop.
>You mean to tell me literally every Windows laptop pre-Windows 10 suffered from this glaringly obviously awful user experience flaw?
No you fucking knuckle dragging mouth breather. Jesus Christ you're dim. Using old software with new hardware has always caused headaches.

This.

Op is an idiot.

>win 98, USB 3.0
Bad example. The hardware did exist when the OS came out, that's exactly why it's fucking retarded that it doesn't work. Laptops with lids that close and go to sleep and ran on battery power existed far before the Windows 7 era you fucking retarded potato dicked cheese muncher.

The OS should be capable of recognizing that the lid is shut and it is running on battery power because this XPS is really not much different in terms of basic form or function than any laptop released in the past twenty-fucking-years. Do I need to build a fucking powerpoint presentation with pretty colors and pictures depicting the history of modern portable computing for you to be able to understand that this incredibly basic and simple everyday functionality shouldn't break purely because this computer is relatively new, and the OS is only now slightly considered old? Dell still ships the fucking things with Windows 7.

>Using old software with new hardware has always caused headaches.

Please explain what is new about the XPS's lid closing functionality that makes it incompatible with Windows 7. You're telling me that every new laptop running Windows 7 should just expect the battery to drain 100% of the time with the lid closed. Sleep is just broken on new computers running Windows 7. Why? Explain why. You can't. Because you're a fucking moron.

Whats pic related OP im in market for a laptop

check the drivers for the power/battery

so apparently this is an actual problem and not just op trying to make shit up to be a faggot. although lets be clear, the chances of him actually owning the laptop are slim to none.

someone said it was a problem with ssd, but i guess there isnt a real answer.

its funny because everyone says they 'fixed' the problem by just hibernating which is a fucking joke and basically on par with apple forum responses

Dell XPS 13 I think. Might be the 15 inch version.

You can get the XPS 13 for $100 less if you get it with ubuntu.

Thanks senpai

>why is this board so shit?!
Because underage flooded this board back in 2012 to join Anonymous and haven't left yet.

>Why is this and every fucking Windows computer's power management so fucking stupid?
Did you set the power management settings to go to sleep when you close the lid? its not on by default you dumb fuck

Dell XPS 15. Supposed to be "ultra portable" as it's got a very small chassis, nice screen, powerful specs, decent price. Don't go too far from the charger though! It apparently isn't smart enough to know that the lid is closed and a human isn't actively using it so it just keeps chugging along draining the battery while the screen is off.

Or (apparently to solve the problem) you could install Windows 10 and spend the next 5 years of your life wrestling with it so it doesn't show you ads, update itself on its own, bootloop, or spy on you. What a great experience! Glad I saved a few hundred bucks over a Mac that doesn't have these problems.

>be OP
>laptop ships with hardware compatible with Windows 10 and above
>install Windows 7 on it because muh botnet maymay xD
>start bitching on Sup Forums when my hardware doesn't work right
>actually expecting a 10-2 year old OS on Extended Support to have drivers for the latest and greatest hardware
WHERE THE FUCK ARE THE MODS AND WHY ARE THEY NOT POLICING THIS SHIT???

It was on by default, you dumb fuck.

Are you fucking sure because when you make a retarded thread like this without making a list of things you've done to remedy the problem and just bitch and bitch and bitch no one knows what you want

try hackintoshing it

Dell still ships them with Windows 7. I ordered mine to come with Windows 7, I just reimaged it to quickly remove all the junk that comes with it.

Use hibernate you dumb cunt

>GTA V

Like hell it's going to run that

>this XPS is really not much different in terms of basic form or function than any laptop released in the past twenty-fucking-years.
You're absolutely right, Intel has not radically altered the way their processors have behaved with regards to these things. Oh wait, they have.
>the OS is only now slightly considered old?
Windows 7 is now nine years old. No other currently supported consumer operating system is that old. Ubuntu ditches LTS versions after five years. Seriously, Apple basically tell you to get fucked if you're not on the latest version.
>Why? Explain why. You can't. Because you're a fucking moron.
Spoonfeeding you isn't my job, though I will happily enjoy laughing at a mucous eating oaf. You're on a technology forum, basic technology literacy is expected of you.

It's not a problem you retarded fuck, sleep keeps the entire computer powered and just turns off the screen and puts everything into its lowest state, it's designed for leaving it for 30 minutes when you get lunch or some shit.

Hibernate is the mode that actually dumps RAM to the drive and turns it off

OPs a stupid cunt who's permanently reduced his battery life by running a lithium down to 0% multiple times

>having a botnet spy on everything you do is better
>ads built into the OS is better

I can run GTA V on my dell with the same GPU.

>OPs a stupid cunt who's permanently reduced his battery life by running a lithium down to 0% multiple times
thats an issue with NiCd batteries not lithium

I don't understand people who still insist on using win7

because windows 10 has so much shit wrong with it that you have to unfuck to the point its easier to just install windows 7

why don't you just plug it in when you're not using it for extended periods of time?

or just program it to shut down on screen closing?

it's like you're looking for a solution to something that's not a problem.

Sounds like hibernate is the answer. If it is, then everything you've been so adamantly trying to prove is wrong. How does it feel to be wrong? You must be wrong often, what a pity.

It's a problem with every battery and lithium is entirely susceptible to it, compare 2 phones where one has been run to 5% and fast charged all it's life and other run to 50% and there will be a huge capacity difference after a couple years.

Lithium batteries are not susceptible to capacitance memory

The batteries have a safety for that so they don't go below a certain point so that its an issue.

>why don't you just plug it in when you're not using it for extended periods of time?
Because that's stupidly inconvenient? If your phone behaved the same way you'd throw it in the fucking trash.

>or just program it to shut down on screen closing?
So if I want to move from downstairs to the bedroom I need to awkwardly balance an open laptop? Or fully shut the machine down, close it, walk upstairs, open it, then power it back up and start all over again?

Seriously what the FUCK is wrong with you?

Shut it the fuck down

>its inconvenient to plug in a laptop when you go to bed but not inconvenient when you plug it in any other time

>TFW cucked by DELL and their shitty ordering UI
I accidentally ordered the i5 version not the i7.
They don't even carry 256gb ssd, 8gb ram 4k screen configurations. I Wish I didn't have such a hardon for this laptop.

It's inconvenient because when I shut the laptop and it's at 80% battery I expect it to be usable when I open it 10 hours later and it hasn't been doing shit except sitting there.

If you pulled your car into your driveway with 3/4 of a tank and you go to drive it in the morning and it's running on fumes you'd think something is wrong right? What would you say to the mechanic who says "What's the problem, just park at our gas station every night." You'd sock him in the fucking face and spit on his wife's shoes.

By not using Windows on portable electronics.

>It's inconvenient because when I shut the laptop and it's at 80% battery I expect it to be usable when I open it 10 hours later and it hasn't been doing shit except sitting there.
STOP SETTING IT TO SLEEP SET IT TO HIBERNATE YOU ILLITERATE DUMB BRAINLET

>car metaphor
a car doesn't burn gas when its off you stupid shit

I use it every now and then when I don't want to close certain programs, but it slows down a lot once it's booted up, like taking a short nap instead of a full 8 hours and you just feel grogie.

Yeah I will try hibernate. I think that's a good tip.

>a car doesn't burn gas when its off you stupid shit
Just like how a idle laptop with the screen off and lid shut doesn't run the battery. Right?

Yea actually it does because in sleep all it does is turn off the screen, the RAM still draws current and so does your processor for Wake On Lan and your hard drive still waits for commands and doesn't shut off

Your metaphor is stupid

Your analogy would imply shutting the laptop off. Turning the car off = shutting the laptop entirely off.

If you left the key in the car enough to power lights or radio but with the engine off, and it sat there all night, youd still wake up to a dead car.

Oh. That makes sense. Thanks user.

So when a Macbook's lid is shut, it's more like its mimicking Window's hibernate feature than it is Window's sleep feature?

correct

Thanks!

Sup Forums is great. It took 55+ replies to get a somewhat coherent answer. Can any of the mentally and also probably physically handicapped contributors above comment on how hibernate is the feature that would solve this problem? Or are we still going to get red-faced about how the 15 XPS is just *not compatible* with Windows 7?

>Sounds like hibernate is the answer. If it is, then everything you've been so adamantly trying to prove is wrong.
>This other thing works therefore something only vaguely related can't be cause by what you say it could be caused by!
I... what? I would call this insane troll logic but there's no logic to what you're saying. You're saying cheese melts, therefore potatoes can't grow underground.
>Car analogy
It was only a matter of time. The technologically illiterate always resort to car analogies.

You need to get your fucking head examined. If hibernate works then that proves that it isn't an incompatibility, it's just a wrong setting. Therefore, all your bursted blood vessels and soiled diapers were a waste of energy, as Windows 7 is perfectly capable of doing what I need it to on this machine.

>It was only a matter of time. The technologically illiterate always resort to car analogies.
Yes, an analogy that you would understand if the state was allowed to issue you a license without creating a public safety hazard due to your incredibly low functioning brain.

>comment on how hibernate is the feature that would solve this problem?
You really, really want spoonfeeding? Hibernate isn't solving the problem, it's sidestepping it. Sleep and hibernate are two discrete things. Windows 7 has no idea how to handle the power saving functions of a modern processor and so it struggles with sleep, which is something that has been radically changed in recent years.

Now if only several other anons had repeatedly tried to bash this into your thick skull over the course of this thread. Instead, you started waffling on about cars, as if they had anything to do with anything.

>Sup Forums is great. It took 55+ replies to get a somewhat coherent answer

thats only cause Sup Forums is in a good mood today kid

>If hibernate works then that proves that it isn't an incompatibility
What part of "those are two fundamentally different things" don't you understand? Is it difficult to understand that two separate things are, indeed, separate? Again, you're saying cheese melts so potatoes can't grow underground. The two have very little to do with one another, no matter how many times you waffle on about cars.

>Windows 7 has no idea how to handle the power saving functions of a modern processor and so it struggles with sleep, which is something that has been radically changed in recent years.
This is a totally reasonable and concise answer that you could have spelled out a long fucking time ago, but you chose not to. This is spoonfeeding? Forty-something words as to why sleep isn't functioning the way I expect it to? How much time did you waste repeatedly saying "IT DONT WORK" without explaining something so simple and easy?

And don't get so butthurt about the admittedly misguided car analogy just because you're not allowed on public streets due to your mental disability.

I do not know what the fuck you are talking about. Yes, sleep and hibernate are different, that is abundantly fucking clear now. Sleep doesn't work the way I want it to, hibernate does. Hibernate works. Windows 7 will remain installed. Installing Windows 10 is not the answer to the problem, hibernate on Windows 7 is.

>This is a totally reasonable and concise answer that you could have spelled out a long fucking time ago
>You're absolutely right, Intel has not radically altered the way their processors have behaved with regards to these things. Oh wait, they have.
>And don't get so butthurt about the admittedly misguided car analogy just because you're not allowed on public streets due to your mental disability.
That sentence becomes very ironic when you take this next one into consideration:
>I do not know what the fuck you are talking about.
You have the mental capacity of a pot plant and yet you insist the problem is with everyone else. You started on the offensive and got pissy when people reacted to it. You're an idiot of the highest calibre and it shouldn't surprise me if your attitude impacts your daily life.

Dude hibernation is shutting down the laptop. The only difference from a regular shutdown is that it saves some sort of state to a swap partition.
Tl;dr hibernation will work obviously, but only because it's shut down. It's not what you want when you hibernate.

Also I don't have this problem in Fedora, consider getting rid of Windows.

Not him, and feel free to randomly insult me as well, but suggesting that the sleep-on-lid-close functionality is some super complex thing that changes everytime Intel shrinks a dye. I would never expect that to not be supported either.

You're acting like a dick and like OP is braindead for not knowing that this very specific functionality had changed between 2 Windows releases.

Look, I am willing to squash this beef with you. The insults are getting out of hand and I apologize for escalating the argument to this level. I appreciate your feedback and tips regarding this issue. I also like your cheese melt / potato growing analogy, I will use that one in the future. In trade, you have permission to use my car analogy.

Yes, thank you. While me and that guy have made friends now (see above) I still thing he's wrong and handled this entire exchange poorly. Though I forgive him for it. We're all flawed people here.

>but suggesting that the sleep-on-lid-close functionality is some super complex thing that changes everytime Intel shrinks a dye. I would never expect that to not be supported either.
Assuming you haven't been paying attention then? Part of the push to always be connected.
>You're acting like a dick
Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer and some free insults. Also, Sup Forums is not your tech support, that's what /wsr/ is for.
>and like OP is braindead for not knowing that this very specific functionality had changed between 2 Windows releases.
OP is braindead, yes, because he insists a problem is everyone else's fault and refuses to accept an explanation unless it's been hammered home multiple times.

>>get fancy new pic computer
>>install a decade old OS that doesn't support any of the new hardware's power saving features
>whine

Mactoddlers are literally brain dead.

Other than that how do you like it?