Is C++ still a marketable skill?

Is C++ still a marketable skill?

Other urls found in this thread:

deeplearningbook.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

not really, its a legacy skill

Yes

C++ should just be one of the many languages you market yourself as experienced or proficient in

Yes. But not if you want to get into anything that is considered trendy. Not that that's a bad thing though.

I don't consider someone a real programmer if they don't list C or C++ on their resume. It's a rite of passage in a thorough education of computer science to know at least one of them (preferably C).

No it's been made obsolete by Python

Yeah, even if it gets replaced by Rust there will still be tons of legacy C++ code to maintain for the foreseeable future. COBOL programmers have no trouble getting jobs, the power of legacy systems is real.

I'm in college majoring in computer science, also currently learning C++. What other languages should I consider learning if I want a career in web design/development?
You guys know of online resources I can use to learn and practice?

why preferably C?

COBOL and FORTRAN are still marketable skills.

C++ will be around for at least another 5 decades.

>Fastest OOP language made obselete by pseudo-scripting language.

What the fuck are you on about?

Because he's autistic. You can tell just by:
>a real programmer

He's the kind of person that learned programming 15 years ago and still obsesses with his old paradigms and practices. It's kind of like how Stallman still thinks Perl is the best shit ever. I mean, definitely back like 20 years ago, it totally had a point in history where it was doing some really good stuff. However, Stallman has his head so far up his ass, he cannot tell that the times have changed.

C++/Java are "Enterprise" gigantic complexity languages you should only ever learn if you're working at a company and they use it. Typically you are a new grad somewhere and start as Jr. Dev at C++ game corp and learn on the job because these places all pay absolute shit wages and will all agree to teach you in exchange for slave wages.

The vast majority of AI/ML/Deep Learning ect is all Python wrappers w/C++ libraries for speed. Those are the current buzzword industries so really you should just be learning Python and reading stuff like this book: deeplearningbook.org/ and taking some "full stack developer in Python/Javascript" bootcamp somewhere to go with your new ML/AI knowledge.

Stallman said Lisp, not Pearl is the best language in terms of user power and he's still correct.

>"ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom ad hom"

>Lisp
I knew I was thinking the wrong language. Sure shows how dumb I am, haha.

You didn't give an argument in the first place, so I'm just shitposting.

You also don't 'get' Stallman. To the average normie who doesn't think past their next Netflix choice, they can't comprehend somebody who thinks in terms of decades, or hundreds of years from now.

Stallman, as crazy as he comes off as, saw a future a long time from now where were likely to all be oppressed by walled garden devices that would not only control information we can read/watch, but watch everything we do. He thought about this in the 1970s long before Snowden, long before software monopolies, and decided to make sure he could delay it somehow by working on 'free source'' tools. Stallman also mused about a future where there would be regulations on software development tools, meaning you had to have an official license and belong to some regulatory body like reg engineers do in order to make your own non toy programs because the CPU mfg can easily require us to obtain keys/licenses in order to use proprietary compiler plugins that build software to use their registers/exposed architecture. Think about that, my young brainlet. Try to imagine 20 years from now, or 50.

Have you ever read this great book, "From Airline Reservations to Sonic the Hedgehog"? It's a pretty fucking dumb title but it talks about the entire debacle with IBM and how antitrust laws encouraged them to start breaking up software bundling (software was originally a free service offered with corporate machines) into individual product lines. This was in the 70s and was a huge topic at places like Bell, IBM, and just any general computing company. Nothing new, nothing special. It was a huge topic at hand.

Stallman was part of a community where his commie ideas were floating around, he isn't a visionary. He's just a guy that decided that these memes were worth wasting his life on.

If you use a lot of C++ but also display proficiency and willingness to learn other programming languages you look like someone who probably has passion for coding and probably has some good fundamentals.

If you use a lot of C++ and only C++ and nothing but C++ ever, you look like someone who can't transition out of learning and into the real world.

>If you use a lot of C++ and only C++ and nothing but C++ ever, you look like someone who can't transition out of learning and into the real world.
This is true and will prevent a person from getting most programming jobs. However, there are plenty of jobs for pure C++ programmers in the world of game development and maintaining legacy software.

Yes. C++ programmers will be around for a long-ass time. However it will be difficult to learn well on your own, as it is a pain in the ass to do your personal projects in when there's languages like Python. Nowadays, most people who know C++, had to learn it for their CS degree or a company.

I think it's only difficult for people who start with high level languages like Ruby or Python. I started with C and find C++ to be incredibly comfortable and easy to work with. I use C++ for anything where I care about performance and Ruby for everything else nowadays.

Man I wish I could like Ruby or Python.

>Ruby has nice looking syntax but relatively poorer third party support than Python
>Python is literally anywhere and everywhere, but you get ___this___shit___

I just want to use C++ as a scripting language.

>relatively poorer third party support than Python
Care to elaborate on this point?

Just in terms of third party libraries and solutions. You see Python in more places so it carries more usability. You're more likely to encounter a Python programmer than a Ruby one.

I mean, really, it doesn't matter for general computing. However, I look at the support and community when it comes to a scripting language. I want more options, not less.

Also, there are some things about Ruby that I just find a little too gimmicky. The "even operators are an object" meme kind of loses interest after about 5 minutes.

>Just in terms of third party libraries and solutions
I've pretty much always been able to find a Ruby gem to handle what I want. If not on rubygems server, then on Github. Although I mostly use it for sending/receiving http requests and processing JSON or XML payloads. What use case do you have where you found it to be lacking?

Also, I forgot to add that many C libraries can be used in Ruby via ffi

Some of the experimental Google APIs don't have any Ruby support. A lot of servers will run Python but not Ruby in the business world (and good luck getting a sysadmin to install ANYTHING for you). Literally, none of this really matters 99% of the time but it's still annoying.

yes of course anything C related is going to look great in any IT career

No language can be a marketable skill on its own, you need projects / work experience that back it up.

Those happen to be very marketable