Is M.2 cooling a meme? I've heard of some overheating issues but is it really that big of a concern?

Is M.2 cooling a meme? I've heard of some overheating issues but is it really that big of a concern?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.ca/StarTech-com-Heatsink-Thermal-Pads-HSFPHASECM/dp/B0009B0K2
amazon.ca/SainSmart-Copper-Heatsink-Cooler-Raspberry/dp/B00IR72LJQ
amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01DLQIMPE?psc=1
gamersnexus.net/guides/2781-msi-m2-heat-shield-increases-temperatures
amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Samsung-500GB-850-EVO-M-2/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1488033082&sr=1-1&keywords=m.2 ssd
amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X9F3FKP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for longterm life it might be an issue
I've only heard major issues with the fastest Samsung models though

If you are torrenting, compiling, transcoding then heat might be an issue. Stick a temp sensor on yours and find out.

I saw a review somewhere that said temps went UP after adding a cooler sleeve. I think it was on Toms. This is very true if you are using 2 sticks.

Even the paid shills can't agree. MSI included a heatsink for them on one of its motherboards recently. KitGuru claimed it improved temperatures during their testing, whilst Gamers Nexus said it slightly raised temperatures. I'd probably believe the latter, since they had thermal probes stuck all over it.

>his m2 is facid

Only for long periods of max speed reading or writing, then it throttles.

Otherwise, not really a problem with general use.

They're designed to handle that heat
But some little heatsinks won't hurt

I hope that shit breaks, whoever buys that is asking for trouble.

Stick in water.
Much cool.

My m2 gets as high as 60C, sometimes, but that's usually during long + intensive gaming or photoshop/premiere sessions. Due to my microITX board and it being on the opposite side of my hot, powerhungry GPU's slot makes me wonder how much heat is not actually generated by the SSD though.

I can believe it CAN be, on the highest end of things. Especially if you have a hot/low-airflow system to begin with.

But, honestly, for SSD manufacturers, an extra 2-cents in aluminum and assembly shouldn't be that big a deal, and it should just start getting included anyway. Most RAM these days has heat spreaders, despite RAM overheating never really being a big deal outside of overclocking, because, once again, for 2-cents on aluminum, why not?

Yes you should cool it, no more commercial products don't work. Some even make it hotter. Get some adhesive thermal pads and coppet heatsinks, and basically follow the same instructions you would to cool a Rasberry Pi 3

No, for once. I've used both an SM951 and 950 PRO which thermal throttled pretty hard under a graphics card. You can tell when it was getting too hot because the write speeds would drop by almost half and bounce around from there. It's a pain in the butt to deal with if you're recording 4K 12-bit color 4:2:2 raw videos to it directly from a camera.
It's only a meme if the cooling "solution" is to put a fancy metal/plastic cover over it without any sort of thermal tape, in which case the thing acts like a blanket making the thermal throttle even worse.

Combine this:
amazon.ca/StarTech-com-Heatsink-Thermal-Pads-HSFPHASECM/dp/B0009B0K2

With these:
amazon.ca/SainSmart-Copper-Heatsink-Cooler-Raspberry/dp/B00IR72LJQ

Pic related

Apply sticky pad and heatsink to the troublesome chips. Enjoy lower temperature.

Actually, these ones
amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01DLQIMPE?psc=1

Look to have a better fin profile for passive cooling, and come with thermal adhesive pre-applied. So that's a total of $10 Canadian dollars to never worry about your m.2 heat again.

>is cooling a meme
wow

My question is are M.2 drives worth a shit for any common use applications? My SSDs already blow my HDDs out of the water as far as r/w, and my OS boots within a second or two. Is there any advantage to having the OS read any faster, and more to the point is it a tangible advantage?

the only point is smaller form factor for laptops allowing to use more of them in the same amount of space.

>not watercooling your ssds

it's like you want throttling, Sup Forums

Heat sinks are only going to delay the inevitable.
Without a well designed air-flow the heat will simply build up.
Heatsinks are not magic. They need to get rid of the heat to the air.

>My question is are M.2 drives worth a shit for any common use applications?
Hitting a consistent 1GB/s write is hard at best with two SATA SSDs in RAID0. Apart from that, maybe running high IOPs-demanding applications, like multiple VMs from a single drive?

Everyone posting on this thread is just muttering the same when the original poster is just a shill selling his water cooling m2 meme, which is still too niche to be mainstream

just read the thread, OP is nowhere to be found and you're all saying the same thing on your own without anyone

don't mean to be rude but it's true

You're probably right, and what's even more retarded is that the M.2 in his picture is just a SATA drive (B+M key), so cooling isn't even necessary

it will throttle when overheat but it will not be an issue unless you go disk write/read 24/7 wich is not the case, right?

Those are shit, though. The copper bits should be way thinner.

Lower profile, low latency, higher throughput, and the PCI-E bus does not have the half-duplex limitation that SATA has.
If any of this matters to you than an M.2 drive would be worth it.

>falling for the ssd meme
>falling for the m.2 meme
5400 RPM HDD all day, anything else is capitalist decadence.

Regular SSD 500MB/s
New samsung EVO M.2 SSD = 3200MB/s

Yes: gamersnexus.net/guides/2781-msi-m2-heat-shield-increases-temperatures

I've got a crucial SATA that sees most of my gaming. It gets to 40-45 but nothing of concern. That being said, an nvme user might have a different experience

SSDs are meme, that's why I stick with HDD, you don't cool them.

M.2 is great. I can just jam it in the motherboard and never worry about it, instead of stringing along SATA and SATA power cables all over the case.
Faster, too.

That was a "heat shield"

If you put an actual heat sink on it and gave it some airflow it would help

I wish there was an ITX motherboard with a row of M.2 ports instead of a PCIe slot. That would be my ideal shitposting machine. Thumbnails would load so fast it would make my head spin.

Are these as reliable as normal ssd's?
I've been considering buying one of these, but it kinda worries me how those temps might impact in a couple years or so.

You can hit two problems with heating.

The first is that at a set temperature your resistance is high enough that you have errors.

The second is that expansion and contraction physically damages the material. Using a heat sink (which isn't always a cooler but by definition a thermal sink) you can extend the amount of time it takes for temperature to change both heating up and cooling down.

If you aren't getting heat failures then staying at one temperature is better than jumping up and down. Keep your change in temperature per second as low as possible for as long as possible.

This is a better way imo.
ITX boars also lay down so not only is it better for cooling using airflow, it won't sag (as if it would with that little weight, but some manage to sag their GPUs after all).
It also makes it possible for multiple M.2 ports.
And it also makes it possible for better heatsinks on higher-end M.2 sticks.

The distance between and clearance around RAM slots is standardized, so manufacturers know how big they can make the heatsinks.

Unless you're running a server; hard drive cooling is a meme.

>Tfw no free as in freedom 5400rpm hdd

Since when?

Memory heat sinks, particularly marketed towards gamers have bizzare shaped heatsinks that I always have to worry about hitting my CPU cooler. Causes me anxiety picking out higher performance RAM every time I build a new system.

Based kingston uv400 ssd: 528MB/s/62MB/s
Based intel m.2: 1543MB/s/602MB/s

Best 130 bucks I've ever spent.

Same chips, same tech, just on a faster bus. No reason they'd be any less reliable unless the manufacturers are being cunts

they have a low profile version, and a high profile version, more or less within a standard amount of clearance.

Got a question.

Im considering a 960, but the issues I come up with is heat, and looking at adhesive thermal pads, everyone tells me do not use them use thermal glue instead, but on the off chance that the drive breaks, I don't want to be out 200+$ because i cant warranty replace.

are there any thermal pads for attaching copper heat shit to that works?

How will that break? Mechanical stress is almost nonexistent because it weights exactly nothing. Cooling is superior.

people say they throttle performance and get hot easily

quick question, what m.2 drive would fit this?

would this work?
amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Samsung-500GB-850-EVO-M-2/B00TGIW1XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1488033082&sr=1-1&keywords=m.2 ssd

heres the motherboard

amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06X9F3FKP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

wtf I hate my boring m.2 drives

Just about any. Notice the notch at the top of the stick the drive is on? A screw goes into that notch and threads into one of the holes on that motherboard, so that means that just about any m.2 drive length will work on that motherboard.

>tfw samsung 960 pro coming in the mail and currently using 5400 rpm western digital
>tfw ryzen 1700x on preorder and currently using phenom x4 830 with 1333 ram

This just makes me wish M2s had their edge connectors along the side rather than the end, so they could be installed like RAM.

Maybe you can use it to farm shitcoins/alternativecoins/crypto currency.