I have a year old laptop that came with windows 10...

I have a year old laptop that came with windows 10. I have always had the same amount of work-related programs on it pretty much since I bought it (no games).

Recently I noticed that it has become very slow. I've tried clearing caches/temp files with CCleaner and disabling a lot of start up applications and nothing seemed to have changed. I've also disabled telemetry (can't believe I forgot that) since the task manager showed that telemetry was hogging a lot of resources and it helped some. However, it's still not as fast as it used to be, and certain web pages in firefox, particularly gmail are very slow.

How do I fix this?

It's 10 years old. It's honestly probably worse technology than a cheap smart phone

What kind of processor is and how much RAM does it have?
Honestly smart phones probably have more ram than that thing I would guess right off the bat, less ram is going to make it slower.

i just came here to say that you are a fucking idiot
learn to read nigger

It's a year old. I bought it last year.

8GB RAM
2.4 GHz i7

sounds like a classic NGI

fuck off im hung over
besides its not like im getting paid for this shit
fucking hick

How many apps do you have running? windows the longer the os runs picks up lots of updates and gets all sorts of fucky application processes going on in the background. I would just reformat and reinstall windows 10 after backing up relevant data.

Could be a heat issue too.

Maybe you just lost the update lottery

Not many. I regularly use:

>Microsoft office
>MySQL
>SSH client
>FTP client

None of these are kept on unless I am actively using them.

Try making a backup of your files and then do a fresh install of win10.

Or >install gentoo

I cleared out all the dust with no effect. The computer never had any heating issues anyways.

Spybot antibeacon. Ue it to kill additional telemetry.

Install Linux.

No seriously. Find a lightweight distro like Xubuntu/Lubuntu or something along those lines and install it to your laptop. That will speed it up nicely.

Get a SSD if it doesn't have one and or re-install Windows.

I always do a clean install every 6 months or so.

>I always do a clean install every 6 months or so.

What's the issue? Takes like 30 minutes and is totally worth it.

>i do a clean install every 6 months

What the fuck?

Yep, I was going to suggest Xubuntu as well.

Yea. Just depends, if I ever have issues I'll do a reinstall. Last time I reinstalled (About 6 months ago) I did it because I got a SSD. Usually it's because I have an ''issue''
My re-installs have mainly been because of hardware changes.

Why would you guys find this weird?
If you don't have any thing irreplaceable computers usually end up picking up junk files and programs.
On windows you'll probably have a game or something you end up installing/uninstalling some punk buster program or something that runs with the game and just miscellaneous things you don't use anymore like skype, or second or third anti virus you don't like as much as a main one, or caught a virus or something, and a clean wipe just makes sense to clean up the system

I've found a clean install once in a while usually makes my computer run a lot better. It's kind of a pain in the ass if you have a few specific settings but just helps overall. .
Unless you sit around pirating stuff all the time you're probably going to have a disc or spot on the net to redownload the stuff you primarily use a lot even if you didn't back up your files.

>windows 10
Here's your problem.