When will you "Make-it 486" Sup Forums?

When will you "Make-it 486" Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

redhill.net.au/c/c-4.html#slc2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no reason to upgrade just yet, famalam

Damn, that small thing looks so innocent and leightweight compared to todays metal blocks.

it probably still works, too

wait, 286 to 486?
that's like an entirely different architecture right?
what is this sorcery?

Doesn't matter what it does on the inside as long as it can talk to the same 16-bit chips on the outside.

That shit was barely a 486 anyway, more a hotted-up 386SX with 1K cache and I think some 486 instructions, slower than fucking balls, though still a cool design.

>that's like an entirely different architecture right?
no they're both x86

He's technically right, the leap from the 286 to the 386/486 is pretty huge even if they take the same instructions.

Back then this shit happened sometimes. Dunno about 286 to 486, but there were Pentium and Pentium II "overdrive" processors for older platforms. Stuff like slot to socket adapters too, but that was more trivial. But look at turbocards for Amiga.

Also reminded me of this amazing thing.

Damn that is awesome. These hacks are great, even if the perf is meh.

>the leap from the 286 to the 386/486 is pretty huge
How so?
Was it a step from "better microcontroller" to "branch prediction"?

16-bit to 32-bit, memory protection, etc. the 386 basically defined the x86 arch as we know it today.

I think the athlon 64 did that actually

When did branch prediction start?

no that's amd64.

Pentium Pro, I think.

The kind of shit those shafted second-source makers did to keep the old designs they had going were incredible. I'd love to get my hands on a low-end PS/2 with one of these chips some day:
redhill.net.au/c/c-4.html#slc2

That guy already described it for me, I guess. It basically made x86 systems more than just basic bitch Lotus machines not only by extending the memory address space from its 16-bit predecessors but also by introducing many enhancements critical to operating systems and applications as we know it today.

Nah, AMD deserves credit for the work they did on that chip, but for the average PC user all the 64-bit transition did was increase memory address space without using PAE, K8 was still at its core a fast 386 with 64-bit enhancements, and didn't nearly impact the PC space as profoundly as the 386 did.

That somewhat still exists. Xeon Phi

>unironically using the term "basic bitch"

you are a gigantic faggot

>getting triggered by casual usage of phrases you don't like on Sup Forums
You are a basic bitch.

>all those co processors
>a third party x86
90's were truly a golden age

I remember the drop on 486-16MHz upgrade.
Fuckin' just nostalgia'd so hard.

That shit's not a coprocessor, it's a full drop-in replacement.

Wasn't really a golden age either, OEMs loved those pieces of shit as marketing bait because it let them put that big 486 on the case when what was under the hood was the same old crude 386SX running on what is practically a shitty 286-class motherboard. Makes all the bitching about Jewtel reeling in $50 extra profit seem even more petty than it already is.