Why are m.2 SSDs so much more expensive per gig than sata SSDs...

Why are m.2 SSDs so much more expensive per gig than sata SSDs? I thought the main difference in hardware here is the controller which is a rather small part of the price to make it compared to the NAND. Is just just because they are "newer" so companies feel like they can charge a premium for them? At current prices which are like double price of SATA SSDs they don't seem worth while at at all.

Other urls found in this thread:

samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960pro.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>why are low supply items more expensive then high supply items
not sure op, but you do have to be at least 18 to view this site

M.2 actually has pretty high supply nowdays because the desktop market is shrinking and m.2 is more space effective than SATA drives which is important in laptops. These cheap m.2 drives just use SATA because Jews.

The controller is much more expensive than the NAND, that's been true for a very long time actually, it's why all the SSD quality drama has historically been over different suppliers and varied origins of memory controllers. Getting sustained 3GB/s and perfect RAID scaling in a controller takes a lot of money
Of course the up charge the fuck out of the end product just like 100% of computer hardware, but the controller, especially a top tier one, is not cheap at all

Not the good fast samsung EVO drives like in OP pic. They've been sold out for a long time, just got mine and installed it tonight.

>Is just just because they are "newer"
bingo, cost of production has little to do with msrp

>desktop market is shrinking

And m.2 drives are used predominantly used in laptops at this point. They're still very niche in desktops, so that doesn't really matter.

Samsung is only real option in m2 market.
Samsung charge premium for it.

Ironically is really cheap compare RAID or PCIE server SSD

Partly demand/supply not being met so an artificial market can be maintained since nobody is chomping at the bit for an M.2 when they just get a SATA SSD drive and think it's the bestest of things.

So it's artificial market until it becomes mainstream and then it's about supply/demand.

you got a 960 Evo? how much better than sata is it? I've been thinking about switching from my 850

Because they can?
For example ssd with 250 or 500gb still have same controller (well there is probably more cache ram in bigger volume drive, but its literally cents) and same size except there is more mlc/tlc nand in it.
Yet somehow these fuckers will charge more than double for it. While production of 250 compared 500 gb drives is like only 10-20% more expensive.

Not the one you are replying to but I also have one. You won't really notice how fast it is compared to your 850. No faster load times or boot time because it doesn't work like that. I just picked one up because I have an ITX case and I wanted to clear some room and this 960 fits on the back of my motherboard.

Coming from a 850 and 840, my 500gb 960 EVO isn't noticeably faster in normal use, as in you can't tell the difference.
When I'm moving files and saving my Photoshop projects, that's where it shines.
But realistically speaking, not worth it unless you have money and have no idea what to do with it, or if you routinely move big files around or constantly find yourself saving large projects, like 3D work etc..

>doesn't know the difference between 'then' and 'than'
>calls other people underage

They are like 5-10 bucks difference between wtf u smoking op?

>I just picked one up because I have an ITX case and I wanted to clear some room
I want to buy one for this exact reason, I have a 850 evo atm but I was thinking of getting the m.2 version since a lot of people say there isn't that much difference moving up to nvme drives unless using it for certain tasks (only be for general use & gaming) this 850 evo 1tb is $200 cheaper then the 960 evo.

m2 sata is a shit, search for m2 pcie, pcie boosts

>toasty
>premature death
>premium price tag

Definitely not worth until the kinks get worked out, which by then there will probably be something even better.

As long as it's the same speed as I got now with my 850 evo which I've got connected by sata I'll be happy.

Fuck your mother! It's a good shit: Max 3,500 MB/sec over NVMe

samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/product/consumer/960pro.html

I didn't know that they've already gone too far.

>pcie

try reading large files and transferring those.

Checkmate you fucking idiot, who doesn't know shit about technology. (like 90% of here anyway)