Are Noctua fans a meme? Fucking $20 for a 120mm fan? That will probably die in a couple of years?

Are Noctua fans a meme? Fucking $20 for a 120mm fan? That will probably die in a couple of years?

I'm torn on replacing my dying, stock, cooler master fan with a $20 Noctua or a $9 ARCTIC F12 PWM Rev. 2 fan.

Oh wise Sup Forums, lay your pearls of wisdom upon me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LbIAOTTpFdA&feature=youtu.be
silentpcreview.com/section12.html
youtube.com/watch?v=djz5lCQM9uY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes. I bought 2 generic fans for 3aud each a couple of years ago and my pc has no thermal issues whatsoever.
They're like the Apple of pc cooling, unnecessary and unnecessarily expensive.

don't bother with proprietary technology, install gentoo

>That will probably die in a couple of years?

Noctua fans have a six year warranty. You don't have to send the old fan back to get a replacement either. Just snap a blade off and send them a picture and they'll send you a replacement.

The arguments of a poorfag. Of COURSE any shitty fan can provide cooling. You're paying extra for quiet operation, longevity and great support. Can you "get by" with a $3 fan? Sure. You can also "get by" with a Core 2 Duo and a GT 210. It doesn't mean that I'd want to though.

>Noctua fans have a six year warranty. You don't have to send the old fan back to get a replacement either.
>Just snap a blade off and send them a picture and they'll send you a replacement.
Yeah. Because that'll work.
Fucking shills.

Yes Noctua makes magic fans that spin better than any generic trash. They blow 10x the air with 1/10 the noise and power consumption!

I guess they're ok if you get easily triggered by fan noise. Most people could probably get by with cheaper fans though.

It does. I had two fail on me (shitty reseller I think) and all I had to do was send them a pocture of the broken ones.

They also sent me a neat fan keychain.

Yeah, Snapping off a blade. The most obvious deliberate damage will get you a replacement.
Hows the bank balance over at nucturna. Fucking shill.

Nah they're a fucking meme. I've had chink 1000RPM fans in my pc (3 of them) for over 3 years with no issues.

There's literally no advantage to premium fans when you're paying 8x as much for it.

No you idiot, did you read the post?

If the fan fails, noctua asks you to break of a blade and take a picture with your ID as proof it is decomissioned. Then they send you a new one.

You mean to apply physical damage to your product so that they're no longer legally required to replace it for you?
Yeah, nah, fuck off.

This is literally you
youtube.com/watch?v=LbIAOTTpFdA&feature=youtu.be

I've had mine since late 2010, no issues. One of the stock bridge fans for my motherboard has gone on this machine. Hell if I know if they're worth it over a regular fan, the plastic is nice I guess.

this is true, that's their policy. i had my 60mm fan develop a buzz and read someone else say to snap a fin. they wanted a picture, sent it to them and i got a new one

Samefag as fuck.

You still need a fan controller to bring it to 600-650rpm. I like my comp very quiet. Wish I could get it quieter but summer coming.

People will do anything for attention, jesus what a waste of time.

I can see the logic behind this. It prevents someone from trying to get a free fan from them.

For example, if someone is trying to get a free fan, by falsely claiming their original fan isn't working, snapping a blade off will deter someone from trying to get one for free.

20 dollars is.. a lot? Where do you live, Nigeria?

What is glue.

The fan will still work fine with only one blade broken...

Yes. They are loud as fuck unless you use the ultra low noise adapters, in which case they don't move much air.

Pretty much all expensive fans are memes. You are much better off spending all that money on a better case with better airflow. Preferably one that fits 180mm fans.

The only high priced fans that make a difference are Eloops, but they only work if they have completely clean intake area, which in 95% of cases is not possible.

Fuck off. I'm far from broke, but I'm not a fool that will pay for something that's not worth it's price.

lol, you obviously have no clue that a fans blade is precisely weighted, and even if the glue should hold, the extra weight would throw the balance of the blade off basically rendering a precision built fan fucking useless.

You're not wrong but $20 over the course of 10 years is minuscule, your time is better spent on other concerns of more importance. Don't take that as an endorsement either, I mean to say it's not worth thinking about either way, get the cheap ones if you think they're not worth it, or buy these if you think they are. I don't think the time investment is worth it honestly hover I feel the same way about doing replacements.

>rendering a precision built fan fucking useless.
Injection molded plastic is precision built.
Shiggy Mc Diggy.
It takes a lot more than 0.01 grams of glue to fuck them up dumbass.

Well if it is fake, who the fuck replaced my fan?

You would need a shiton of glue to keep a broken blade mounted on a fan, dipshit. It doesn't take much to throw a fan off balance.

You been under a rock? There's many glues other than PVA. There's even glues that chemically weld the surfaces together. There's glues as hard as fucking diamonds now.
>need a shiton of glue to keep a broken blade mounted on a fan
Get fucked. I used to use silicon to hold 500kg steel plates in place.

Get a double ball bearing fan. They are very durable.

Fans are fans. When yours starts getting noisy get a new one. You'll get through 10 fans before approaching the price of one Noctua fan.

20 dollars is fucking nothing. You spend more on.. whatever. Coffee. Toilet paper. And that's to wipe your ass.

Can you consume caffeine rectally? If you made caffeinated toilet paper would it work?

>after you receive it
Lmao such fake shit

stuffing wads of toilet paper into your asshole

In the same way you can consume alcohol rectally, probably.

Yeah noctua fans are pretty meme. Yate Loon fans are where it's at. The D12SL-12 is a nearly perfect balance of static air pressure, air volume and audible noise. Nexus sells them with white fins but they are just a re brand of the YLs. Much more attractive and they never fail; I've been running 6 D12SL-12s on my radiator, and another 4 on my case itself since 2008 24/7/365. None of them have failed, and the system is practically silent even with 10 fans.

their older products were really good but the newer 120mm and 140mm are shit.

I have both, so this is from a personal experience. The 120mm with those things infront of the blades cause the sound of the fan to be really fucking annoying. It's like a fast "whirrrrrrr" sound all the time compared to the smooth sound of a fan just moving air.

the 140mm can't run below run below like 500RPM or something, you can hear it trying to kickstart the engine but the blade fins are standing still. And at alow RPM they also produce a loud ticking sound.

rec me a side port fan for an eeepc netbook, got to be thin and move a lot of air

ITT: idiots shitflinging

Sup Forums doesn't know shit about bearings or anything related to tech.

If you want LEDs then go for LEPA. Cheap(ish),very quiet, and they move a TON of air.

>everyone recommends these gentle typhoon fans
>go pick a few up at store
>work great for a weak
>then start making grinding noise
>reoil them
>good for a day
>grinding noise

Seriously, fuck these things.

Noctua doesn't need oiling right? I might pick some up.

Silent Wings 3 are currently the best available fans. Noctua has the best customer service though, you are treated like a king when you buy anything from them.

My Noctua fan is currently running at 230 RPM connected directly to the motherboard. No need for a fan controller.

$20 for something with 6 year warranty. Compare that with the amount that you will spend to replace all of the dead chink fans.

I got 4.

Great stuff but LOUD AS ALL FUCK on full spin. Mine are the industrial variety and I really cannot overstate how loud they are on heavy load.

On the upside my PC is actually cooling this corner of the room.

/thread

Bar the fact theyre almost silent and have proven to wrok better than the poorfag fans you bought

noctua's customer service is actually fucking brilliant.

Of course they gave you a new fan, since the actual value of a fan is $4 they can give you 3 fans for free and still make money.

when it gets noisy you can change them out literally 2-3 times and still afford a delicious tub of ice cream with the balance.

I have no interest in digging into my case and fucking with my perfect cable management every few months.

They are objectively a meme. Look at actual tests, they perform worse than cheaper fans like Scythe and others.

The only argument you can make is longevity, but that's a bit hard to measure.

>being this autistic and buying into the cable management meme
Kek just tape that shit down and away from any moving parts autist.

>every few months.
You have never owned anything other then the most expensive items, have you.
Pull that silver spoon out your ass and see the world for what it really is.

>fucking with cable management every few months
Noctua fans break every few months?
That's worse than cheapo generics you can get for a few dollars online. Pathetic.

Or just have 5 in your case like I have & then have the peace of mind theyre good for a number of years and then go out and buy a box of ice cream

No, my Scythe Gentle Typhoons broke every few months.

Utter trash.

>5 fans in a case
>he bought into the 'airflow' meme
Just get one big ass fan stupid fuck.

and how does that blow air directly through my cpu radiator?

>Noctua fans break every few months?
He was talking about other fans which supposedly break more often, but he's wrong.

Lies. I've had Scythe SlipStreams for 5 years, still work as good as new, still quieter than any Noctua.

Been using a couple of generics for 3 years now, have yet to open up my case.

The fuck you talking about?

Can you link actual tests.

I'm interested in new case fans that pump a decent amount of air and are quiet.

Noctua salesmen think that just because cheap fans have a high failure rate it means they all fail at uniform rates.
The truth is that cheap fans just have a higher chance of failing at any point. It's not really that much different if you study the curve. There's a longer warranty on the Noctua, doesn't mean it's less likely to fail.

>That will probably die in a couple of years?
Or, you know, a decade. Considering they have a 6 year warranty.

They also come with low noise adapters and cable extensions in the box, both of which are top-tier quality, and their bearing design is better than anything cheaper with only other equally expensive fans matching them, but lacking the accessories and warranty.

$20 for a fan sounds expensive until you try to run them on 8.2v or some other odd voltage, at which point a cheap shit fan will buzz/hum like a fucking absolute cunt, meanwhile the noctuas won't give a single shit or make a single noise (if you buy the slower ones).

silentpcreview.com/section12.html

I have 4 NF-12's that have been running constantly since 2008. NO_PROBLEMS_YET

Noctua are a great company as well and will always help you out.

>$20 for a fan sounds expensive until you try to run them on 8.2v or some other odd voltage, at which point a cheap shit fan will buzz/hum like a fucking absolute cunt, meanwhile the noctuas won't give a single shit or make a single noise (if you buy the slower ones).

Nailed it.

they didn't even complain when i asked for a 2011 kit for my d14. noctua is really an under appreciated company, probably because they don't market to gamer shit.

It's safe to assume that cheap fans will fail more easily, but they're just fans so it's safe to assume that something like 1300RPM generic fans should still last year's.

2000RPM and up though I'd go for something reputable.

Assuming makes and ass out of you

This is a picture of the AM4 mounting kit noctua make.

They post it to you for free if you have one of their CPU coolers and buy an AM4 board.

This is why you buy noctua.

for

youtube.com/watch?v=djz5lCQM9uY

Why not try the pajeet cooling solution?

They really are great, when I bought lots of Noctua fans and heatsink for a new build I took a picture of it all and sent it to them. They replied wanting my address, so I gave it to them and weeks later I got a package with absolutely loads of sheets of Noctua stickers of all sizes and designs plus a metal case badge :)

plenty of small "enthusiast" companies that provide extended warranties and easy replacement policies do this.

Depends on which fans you are buying.

If you are buying ordinary fans, then you have been ripped off by Noctua.

If you are buying very high CFM fans, along the lines of 100 - 150 CFM, then Noctua is among your best buys. Their Industrial line that is.

>meme
You known this is going to be introduced to the dictionary.
"meme" - term used by poorcunts who cant afford the decent product.

>spending hundreds of dollars on computer fans
Yup, you've been memed.

I think it means you've been duped into buying things that are overpriced.

must be nasty being so poor

Nah it's actually awesome having not spent all my money on 'computer fans'.
I have a castle with a moat now.

||
||>
||
//You see a post and wonder who's behind it.

Pretty much this.
Same reason I bought an i3 6100 instead of the i5 6400. Just not worth the extra for such minimal gains.

>You're paying extra for quiet operation
I bought $5 fans that were very quiet. The difference with Noctua fans, and I've used Noctua fans before, is minimal.

>longevity
Unless they last over 4 times as long as my $5 fans (which have already been going for 4 years and show no signs of wear), it doesn't only not matter, but it's actually worse price/perf.

>and great support.
It's a fucking fan. What kind of support do you need, because it's not any kind of software. Fast RMA process? With how expensive they are, you could buy 4 of the ones I have, throw away a faulty one, and still have two spares left over.

>Can you "get by" with a $3 fan? Sure. You can also "get by" with a Core 2 Duo and a GT 210. It doesn't mean that I'd want to though.

Except that compared to modern hardware, there's a slew of quantifiable metrics that will be in the gutter if you use those parts.

With Noctua fans you're getting, at the very best case, a couple of dB lower noise. I still have two Noctua fans in my case, they work well but certainly not well enough to justify the 4x price difference, and I'd rather have spent those $30 on alcohol or something.

When my Logitech G400s started to have a clicking problem, I described the problem to the support rep and after confirming it was hardware related (I just told them I wasn't stupid, it wasn't driver related) they asked for my address and sent me a replacement (A G402 since my G400s is out of manufacture)

Didn't need any proof, nor did they ask for a return of the broken one. It was entirely my word. I could have just gotten myself a free mouse had I not been telling the truth.

Maybe I got lucky but their support guy was great.

Amen.

The thing is that poor people buy,
while rich people invest.
Big difference. Your mentality says
you belong into the poor people segment
of conspicuous buyers.

If you bought SilentiumPC (cheap but decent cooler brand also from europe), you could probably get a new cooler and still pay less together.

Sure the service is great but you paid for it handsomely in advance.

>on full spin
No shit, nigger. Every 2200 RPM fan is going to be loud as hell if you let it spin at 2200 RPM.

When a built my PC I had one $18.99 Noctua and 5 (Top, side and triple rad) generic $8.99 ones that were either Coolermaster or Deep Cool.

In the years since those 5 cheap ones all died, and so did 2 of their replacements and one of those replacements as well. All I have left is the Noctua running as good as day one, and the 3 on my rad. Luckily a warranty saved me on the first 2 Cooler Masters that died, but not to lucky on the others. The Noctua still has a warranty, that thing is 6 years long.

Cheap out, get a cheap product you'll replace repeatedly. This isn't $600 vs $700, it's fucking $8-10.

Lol wut
I've had the same generics in my pc since putting it together in 2010 none of them have failed.

I've got 3 fans.

>itt my fan bearings outlasted yours and somehow i knew it would be like this.

I bought three of them for $24 each. They are quiet and run relatively well on PWM, but one of them doesn't spin up with the others at the same voltage and starts making a fuckawful buzzing until it reaches proper voltage. I dunno if it's a manufacturer defect or a motherboard defect.

Go around to local businesses. Many excel machines running for 15 years with their original fans.
This isn't new tech. Fans have existed for decades. Stop being so blinded by shillary.

Ah yes, conspicuous consumption. How the people show off their power and wealth to those in their social circle.

>The elite class spend on property, just like the landed gentry has since time immemorial
>The upper class spend on their homes, making their abodes as ample and luxurious as possible
>The middle class spends on their vehicles, acquiring them as well-equipped and comfortable as they can
>The lower class spends on personal items, such as jewelry or cell phones
>And then there's king neckbear, who buys case fans worth their weight in sterling silver

I had three corsair generics that were pre-installed in my case, they all got to be excessively noisy over the year I ran them; to me this rates as broken and warrants replacement.

holy fuck your dense