/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT250V-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=nav_ya_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1488020498&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=beyer dynamic velour mdr v6&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>pic

c-can I not?

Fine, those numbers saved you.

dude, stop checking them.

mota is a good artist

>11 00 00
>11 00 11
noice

So after nearly a decade of use, my Sony MDR-V6 pads have finally started to fall apart.

Any recommendations for replacements, preferably ones that aren't made out of the same plasticy faux-leather?

amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-EDT250V-Headphone-Pads-Black/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=nav_ya_signin?ie=UTF8&qid=1488020498&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=beyer dynamic velour mdr v6&

they are godtier but impossible to clean

WITNESSED

The cable on my Sennheiser HD 205 II's is finally going, had those fuckers for years. Should I stick with the same brand or go for something more adventurous? Looking for that similar £40-60 price range.

Buy cable and replace it.

Doesn't look like they have cables on the parts site, guess I could go aftermarket and rip it apart.

It's probably just one of the internal solders in the earcups. Does the sound cut in and out if you jiggle the cable? If one of the solders just busted loose it's really incredibly easy to solder it back together and a solder gun is like $12.

Probably. I only noticed it when I turned my head and one of the channels cut out.

Okay, hope I didn't get meme'd last thread. I didn't get the shiik amp or w/e it was called because I just want it now as fast as possible. This will be the first cans I spend more than $50 on.

Thanks buddy, these are great.

Fuck do you autists use yours for?

I just bought me ATH m50x and they have been absolutely great for my use case: guitar amp modelling and mixing

Kyoko screams into my head and accelerates my hearing loss!

For personal listening like everyone else?

I use the e10k with my hd600's and it sounds exactly the same as the o2 and other, more expensive amps. You did great.

MDR-V6 owner here. Originally I got these while I was still living at home, so I could listen to music or play videogames without waking the house up.

But after I moved on my own, I didn't feel the need to really get an amazing speaker setup for my PC, so I still use the good old cans whenever I'm doing gaming or want to really listen to music.

Why does everybody in the headphone scene shit so much over bass? I get that bass can easily be detrimental to the overall detail if it is overdone but there is so much negativity around it. You're a pleb if you want bass, and the flattest of the flat with minimal to no low end are seen as desirable.

Soundstage and imaging are two things that are very important to audiophiles, and why is that? Because ideally we all want speakers and feel like the audio is coming from the room we're sitting in. What makes speakers so great? They're visceral, you hear from where that audio is coming, you hear it bounce around the room, and feel it, and where does a lot of that come from? Bass. I'm not talking nigger booming levels of bass, just good bass.

So why is being flat so important to many people? Wouldn't cans with good bass be best at emulating what music actually sounds like?

Please help. Looking for IEM. Medium or higher isolation and neutral sound if possible. Around 50 quid.

I had sure SE215. They sucked and died after 2 years. Driver, not cable.

I had Magic PL50. They were awesome but really flimsy and died within a year (cable break). Cable as you know is not replaceable on them.

I have MEE M6 and they are OK although really bass heavy but the cable is already dying. Should I buy a replacement cable or is there another pair you'd recommend.

Thank you.

In case you're wondering why my headphones are dying so quickly - they need to suffer through hiking, climbing, cycling and British shitty weather.

Is this a good DAC ?

get off gumtree nerd i saw it first REEEEEEEEEEEE

I found it on other site than this gumtree.
How about a price on gumtree, is it good ?
And is this worth it ?

Thoughts on the THX-00s? Waiting on mine in the mail.

Incredibly enjoyable fun cans. Great sub-bass. Highs can be a bit spicy. Pad holes are a bit too small. Purpleheart's colour fades over time. Cable is too heavy.

Pretty damn good value, especially if you can get them cheap second hand.

>Stand
>598SE
Why?

I see all these assumptions in yours post, and I have no idea how you got them.

Great buy!

the best

you most likely won't need the e10k, unless you have a static noise on your motherboard
you most likely won't like the 598
you overpaid for the 598 by a lot

I don't want my stuff to break. My dog is a ninja.
the headphone jack on one of my laptops is bad that I have to press down something on it to keep the sound loud. And my other laptop, thinkpad t520, the sound is low so I thought the amp would help?
I hope so

>won't like the 595

To a person who has been suck with cheap audio their whole life, that's a difficult conclusion to reach. Like, even if the harmonics suck, having more watt/dB and shit can make your face melt.

I don't get how the stand saves the headphone from the dog, but whatever.
Anyway, why the 598SE?

>It's another Z reviews says this is the best headphone ever video

DO NOT FUCKING BUY FIIO E10K
I bought it just few hours ago and it's the biggest buyers remorse I ever had.
No difference in anything even from my shitty motherboard that costs 45$, noise level is barely reduced on FiiO and it still produces noise that comparable to my mobo sound card.
If you want to spend extra 80$ on making your music slightly louder then go for it, I hope I can sell it now to some sucker for 75$ as "new" so I can get my money back.

Isn't that every video of his that isn't the M50x one?

I have $300 and want a Shillheiser what should I buy?

HD600's if you want neutrality and provided you have a decent DAC/Amp.

Isnt the build quality horrendous??

No. About equal to AKG cans, and Beyer beats pretty much anything in build quality.

Ignore the dumb shitposting on /hpg/. Mine have lasted 7 years with only the pads needing replacement. As long as you don't do stupid shit, and stretch the headphone heavily when you get them, they'll last fine.

Everything from Shillheiser is cheap McDonald plastic shit

Is the Philips X2 overrated?

>HD650
fixed

Not really. They're certainly not giant killers or whatever people often praise them to be, but they're decent, especially as they seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper recently.

Their lack of sub-bass is the only thing that irks me, but other than planars, I doubt anything open is really going to be too satisfactory in that regard.

>wanting veiled highs and more midbass

really, the best option is to just get whatever is cheapest, and EQ.

>Repost from last thread.

I've got the SHP9500 that I like, are the 598's much of an upgrade in sound quality?

your mom's horrendous.

Which ones this time?

hardly

598's are just less grainy in the mids, and have more warmth and midbass. better comfort imo, but both are super comfy anyway.

save up for a HD600 or something of that tier.

600's no fucking question. If you want the bloated normie version, get the 650.

>currently using 668B
>mainly listen to classical
>can't get the SHP9500 easily in the UK

Seems like saving up for a pair of X2s is a good idea?

No, but they're expensive when you consider the price of the 600's, they're muddy as fuck compared to them. The build quality is fantastic though.

Want to upgrade 712 in terms of soundstage, anything good? Otherwise I'll look for a pair for music/movies

What are your thoughts on the 668b's?

X2's would essentially be a 668b, but more toned down. Not inherently bad. If you really like your 668b's though, 990's would be a more logical upgrade, as they're a lot more similar in tonality

I used to own the 712's but before that I had 702's. They're the only headphone I've tried with a bigger soundstage but they don't sound as nice as the 712's overall.

I find the 668b's highs fatiguing to listen to. (e.g. playing something like Four Seasons with violins)

Oh okay. 990's wouldn't be great then. Also have quite sharp peaky treble.

X2's should be better as they're a fair bit more dark.

I'd have gone with a schiit fulla 2, which retails at +$19, includes a dac, and isn't chink.

Otherwise great buy. Now, allow for 1w to get used to the signature, don't follow stretching guides and snap the headband like a moron (they'll get comfortable after a few days of wearing), and absolutely do not EQ.

Looking around I can get the SHP9500s from US Amazon for about ~£80. The X2s are currently £250 on UK Amazon (they've been on sale for ~£150 before).

I'm not too fussed about having open headphones, maybe something like the M40x is a good alternative? I've already decided against the V6/7506 because of the highs.

This is what I'm currently looking at:
>Can buy it now tier (up to ~£100)
>M40x, SHP9500

>Have to wait (£100+)
>X2, any other suggestions

Got shitstack, can say: DAC made a huge difference vs onboard. Amp not much, somehow.

>The X2s are currently £250 on UK Amazon (they've been on sale for ~£150 before).
they are 110 euro in scandinavia so if you have some friends or relatives there you can save 100+ pounds

>/hpg/
>SnapheiserShill.com

What went wrong?

You may not like 9500's if you find 668b's too bright. 9500's certainly aren't as sharp, but they're up there.

M40x have virtually no soundstage [not that headphones in general have a particularly large soundstage at all anyway], and the stock pads are garbage, which adds onto the price as well.

I'd wait for X2's desu. Or even keep an eye out for 600/650's getting low.

Yeah the dac in my e10k is better than my onboard but the most noticeable thing is how quiet it is. My o2 dac in the past sounded exactly the same as my e10k dac so I'm not sure what to think about different, expensive amps+dacs. Seems a bit meme territory to me.

Do not buy the x2's for more than £150. Get the hd600 if you get near the £200 mark

>they are 110 euro in scandinavia so if you have some friends or relatives there
>tfw no friends or relatives there

I'm using a laptop, won't the HD600s be too hard to drive?

Flat doesn't mean no bass. It only means earthquake on skull bass isn't priorized over fairness in all freq spectrum (including bass).

Bassy riffraff phones also uncomfortable for extended periods.

And those with trained ears will actually prefer the detailed bass in neutral headphones over earthquake simulating but otherwise absolutely dull and distorted garbage.

V-shape is a scam that exploits the fact neutral signature headphones may take days to get used to, while high treble high bass sounds good in the shop, which sells headphones like pancakes.

>I'm using a laptop, won't the HD600s be too hard to drive?
Yeah, didn't factor that in. You'd probably need a better amp for 600's.

You can get a cheapo version off ebay and its just as good.

Not him, but I'm interested. Link?

fulla2 packs a good dac and a good amp in a nifty tiny metal box with a $99 price label.

If in doubt, just fulla2.

Yeah, pretty much. The e10k is only £60 on amazon. Hd600 and e10k are my endgame and have been for some time. I barely look at audio stuff anymore because there's no need.

Best budget headphones coming through.

I have sennheiser HD 598's, and I really enjoy them. Is there any reason why I'm wrong?

Overly mid-bassy. Highs are grainy. Retardo sennheiser 2.5 locking jack. Otherwise for the price, theyre quite good.

HD600 are considered the best headphones Sennheiser makes. I love mine.

They do need amp because low sensitivity (quiet AF, you'll want the gain) and hard to drive (300 ohm). A fulla2 will suffice. Just don't fall for the fiio e10k meme, the value/price vs fulla2 sucks.

I don't even know what the fuck to get any more tbf

>I'm using a laptop, won't the HD600s be too hard to drive?
no

Don't follow stretching guides and snap them like a moron.

They get comfortable after days of use, without retarded stretching nonsense.

The only one I'd agree with is the mids being too bassy, which really is only an issue when listening to people talking.

I've never noticed grainy highs and I dont really see how the 2.5 locking jack is a problem, since I never really take the cord out. It is kind of weird, but I'd rather the jack lock than not lock. Im pretty sure you can get new cords for nothing if yours breaks and you give sennheiser a call

Most reviewers that do both agree that HD600 are the better phones.

HD600 are legendary neutral.
HD650 are similar but colored slightly.

Color is nice at first (yay everything sounds good!) but it gets boring fast (eek everything sounds the same, bland!).

damn I can't stand that mercedes interior look

If you can afford it, buy the 600 and an e10k from amazon. If for some reason you don't like them you can send them back hassle free and they usually come and collect it from you. I've done it loads of times with random electronics. Just make sure that the actual seller is amazon and not some company selling through them.

dac+amp with usb power are nice as they take the source out of the equation. Will sound the same on my laptop or desktop or at work, shittyness of the computer's integrated sound is dodged.

>I've never noticed grainy highs
Its only really noticeable if you go back to them from a better headphone.

>I dont really see how the 2.5 locking jack is a problem
Stand up and get the cable caught. Congratulations. Headphones fukt.

> It is kind of weird, but I'd rather the jack lock than not
2.5/3.5/6.3 jacks already have a system to hold them in place. A locking 2.5 is just sennheiser being money hungry. Doesn't benefit you in any way.

>Im pretty sure you can get new cords for nothing if yours breaks and you give sennheiser a call
lolno. this is sennheiser we're talking about here.
It's more the fact that yanking the cable is likely to rip out the 2.5 female on the headphone end, rather than just falling out if it was a standard 2.5

Slightly bright, not pure neutral. Great value for the money, and a good intro to audiophile hell.

I have just upgraded to HD600, which are godlike and feel endgame; Beating these is going to be really hard.

Purchase advise please.

>Budget
I wouldn't really want to go over £20 but I suppose I could go slightly over

>Location
England

>Source
Laptop and Mobile

>Type
Don't care, so long as I can use them whilst sleeping

>Open or Closed
Closed

>Comfort
See Type

>Past Headphones
Nothing of significance.

I don't really care about quality, I'm not an audiophile and don't really listen to music anyway, I'm just sick of having to constantly buy headphones or use half-broken ones, since the shit ones I have to use break every other week. I just want durability really.

What would be an upgrade to the SHP's in the ~$200 range?

Plan is to get 600's eventually, but I'd need an amp first which means I need $400, so I'd like to have something to tide me over.

HD600 + fulla2

You have convinced me to just cancel my order and just save for the 600s due to you spamming it. It must be good, yes?
yeah okay...I probably should just invest also in a pc that doesn't have a shit motherboard

Just save. There isn't much really bridging the gap.

>Stand up and get the cable caught. Congratulations. Headphones fukt.
How do you even do this? the cable is like 12ft long (my only real gripe about it, its way too fucking long). And are you like getting up and full on sprinting across the room and jerking your head like a rhinoceros? How would you not notice the cable tethered to your head before causing damage?

Replacement cords are also like $10, if sennheiser doesn't want to help, but you'd be surprised what companies will do for you if you just ask. Most will send you free shit just for writing them a nice letter saying you like their products.

You'll change computers over time, while good phones are for decades.

That's why usb dac+amps are nice. They sound good regardless of computer.

Got the Sure SRH1840 yesterday. They are delicious. Definitely an upgrade to my Fidelio X2s.

>allow for 1w to get used to the signature
>absolutely do not EQ.
What the hell kind of suggestion is this supposed to be?

Everything you just said after the first line is some kind of really wrong.

>What would be an upgrade to the SHP's in the ~$200 range?
I don't think that exists at any price point. The nearest fit is the SRH1840, which has its own cdrawbacks.
HD600 isn't that much like SHP9500. Much more of a general low end lift below 200-300 Hz. HD600 has more unevenness around 4-8kHz, peaks and dips.

That's a rather stark change in signature instead of an "upgrade".

I love my HD598. At their current price, they're a steal.

HD600 are better but they also cost twice as much.

>That's a rather stark change in signature instead of an "upgrade".

Yea soundwise its more a sidegrade but the comfort is off the chart.