/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

www3.lenovo.com/au/en/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop
dellrefurbished.com/laptops/dell-latitude-e6530-39094.html
ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Laptop-T420s-14-i5-2-5GHz-4GB-320GB-HDD-Windows-10-DVDRW-Office/282367916722
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331859
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To user seeking information on T430 screen mod, see the thinkwiki

Pro tip; if you order a Thinkpad from Lenovo and it misses its first ship date, you're entitled to a 5% discount. All you have to do is chat with customer support

Just ordered a 50$ T400 off ebay, feels good.

I want to buy a new thinkpad, which one should i get? linux support is my #1 priority

you won't have any issues with linux with any thinkpad

How much should I pay for a X220 tablet?

The seller asks 220.

Has8GB of ram, a SSD and a i5-2520M.

yo any anons with a w500 around? how do you rate them?

I want a ThinkPad with:
>Good battery
>Pretty screen with good colours, 1080p at worst. Don't care about anything higher. 16:9 preferably, other ar is ok
>11-14 inch screen, on the small side, not too bulky but with good build
>discrete gpu for gaymes, only indie mostly. Is csgo doable at 60fps on potato settings?
>Best possible CPU without massive bulk (doesn't need to be amazing, just good enough for gaymes and not compiling ridiculously slowly)
(Top preferences are most important)
What ThinkPad is best for fulfilling all these? Are there any with a good 1080p screen out of the box? I don't care about budget and how much stuff I have to replace. I want the ultimate ThinkPad in a small form factor, but don't want hunting for parts to be an ordeal (Australia)

I know just the place for you to look mate.
www3.lenovo.com/au/en/

So I got an x230, installed arch with cinnamon, any good power management softwares? Also should I keep it plugged in at night?

>Nu-thinkpads
Don't they have abysmal build quality compared to the old ones? As well as generally being shit and overpriced, with screens as bad as ever? As well as preinstalled botnet

The build quality is what you'd expect from a high end laptop, it just isn't what it used to be. The screens are the biggest improvement on new models and you'll need to go for a **40 series or later (like the T440s) if you want a FHD screen out of the box on a 14" or smaller.

If you're looking at second hand options then off the top of my head, the cheapest models that just werk with FHD or better are the X250, T450s (I'm not sure if it was a standard option on the T450) and the X1 Carbon. Prices in Australia for newer shit can be shit so good luck, you'll either have to lurk ebay for second hand shit for a while, or get something from the US instead.

This is what Sup Forums does to you.

>any good power management softwares
A good start would be using a desktop environment that can run without a compositor.
See also:
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop

Charging overnight is fine if you actually need it fully charged for the next day or something. Just read up on how lithium batteries work or something so you can figure out what wears them down and make sure you're getting good value out of it and not just wear it down using i as a desktop that never moves anyway.

You won't find any stock "older"(T/X 4/230 or below) Thinkpads that fit your requirements. You won't start seeing 1080p displays on 14" or lower until the 40 series thinkpads, and that's when Lenovo really shit the bed. If you want an older Thinkpad that has a 1080p display that can play CSGO at decent settings you'll need to go big and get a w520 with a quadro.

>Wants to play gaymes on a business laptop
>Not just that, but a used 6 year old laptop
Sup Forums lmao

good advice, thanks user.

>ultimate ThinkPad in a small form factor
No such thing.

To fit everything in description you'll need at least a W510 with a 9 cell battery. It's cheap as hell but weights 8lbs.

That's nice. I couldn't get a normal X220 with those specs for less than 260€.

T470

No that's a really bad meme. Oy the *40 series were really bad

You could also get a W530 with a 9 cell. Better performance and under 6 lb.

Is it worth it to get a X220 or X230 as a drawing tablet?

Not anything serious, but I would like that.

Also, do either versions come in FHD? All I've seen is 1366x768.

No but the tablets all have IPS displays which is nice

I have a Thinkpad T410 with Arch/Win7 on it, $65 with docking station and recovery disks. One of the best purchases I've made, I love this thing. I bought a /csg/ battery for $20 to make it portable and I'm very happy with that decision.

One thing I'm curious about: anyone have suggestions for making the volume buttons work? I know I could just add them via keybindings to i3, but that's assuming their keynumbers (because Arch can't seem to detect them; then again I haven't tried too hard) and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered similar issues.

Why Lenovo doesn't make those anymore?

Dell Latitude E5570 vs Lenovo Thinkpad L560

Budget is ~1k euro.
HP is not an option - I want a laptop, not a piece of shit.

Main uses:
Media, soft dev

Why not the T560?

Also there's nothing wrong with higher grade HP laptops

T560 is too expensive.

We use HP 650 probooks at work. Many complaints about not working keyboard buttons, motherboard failures and heating problems.
Also I had ordered an envy laptop from hp store a month ago. Screen was already fucked up when I first turned it on. Got a refund.

Take a look at HP Envy x360, they're pretty good and solid.

>order an x220 properly specced from ebay
>takes 2 weeks to arrive
>2 days after shipping I realize there's a store nearby that sells them for the same fucking price

would a T560 be overkill for my shitty indie game dev?

deal or not

dellrefurbished.com/laptops/dell-latitude-e6530-39094.html

I got another deal that is

>X230
>i5-3320M
>4GB RAM
>120 GB SSD
12,5" 1366x768 IPS
>iGPU

vs.

>T410
>i5 620M
>4GB RAM
>320GB HDD

200€

vs

>T430
>i5 3320M
>128GB SSD
>4 GB
>1366x768
>dock

235€

Which one would be best bang for buck?

i5 620M is a shit-tier CPU.

No. Performance is pretty average.

T410 is too old. Low performance.
T430 has the low res screen. Too expensive.
X230 looks good but you forgot the price.

I got a x230 with:
>i5-3320M
>10GB RAM
>256GB MSATA SSD
>1TERA HDD
>9 CELL AND 6 CELL BATTERY

for 250€ (265$~) it is ok?

Someone redpill me on the E470

It looks like a good idea
--------
Lenovo ThinkPad E470, 14", i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

- i7 7500U Prozessor 2x 2.70 GHz
- 1920 x 1080 Pixel (Full HD)
- GeForce® 940MX 2GB

For 850 EUR new

This looks like a good deal, right?

Am I missing something?

That's dann amazing for Europe. I paid the same for 4GB RAM and 320GB HDD

Build quality is beyond shit. NEVER buy anything but T, X or W/P series

Damn, is it that bad?

What is so bad about it?

I had to use an E460 at school several times. The keyboard gives in up to 3cm at the center and there are audible cracking noises when you lift your hands from the palmrest. When the laptop is closed you can also press the center of the lid in several cm. The hinges are also pretty low quality. Besides I think they use a lower quality keyboard on the E series. Seriously, you can get an older T series like a T450 for the same price as am E470 and you'll be way happier with it for a longer time.

Ok, but the E model is 16 GB!
i7!
Nvidia graphics!

Yeah you can get an i7 T450 with dGPU for the same price. Maybe only with 4GB or 8GB RAM but that's really a minor problem.

What do you need a dGPU for anyways? Do you want to play games? If yes, don't get a Thinkpad, no matter what model.

What's a good thinkpad that isn't a brick that I can use with an eGPU?

X230 for example. I've seen this thing play GTA5 with an external GPU. But as far as I know you can use any Thinkpad that has Expresscard with eGPU.

t430 is best think

Some light 3d modeling, CAD.

If I wanted to play games, what would you recommend?

That's a really good deal.

I got an x220 with 8GB of RAM + 128GB SSD for 245€ so you can just imagine.

You'll cowards don't even P50

For games I'd say desktop. If it has to be a laptop you'd be stuck with cheesy "gaming" laptops. You know, gay LEDs, MSI logo with a dragon on it, that sort of shit. I mean, you could theoretically play games on a W or P series Thinkpad but there are more efficient options. By the way if you're doing CAD you might be looking for a W series with NVidia Quadro. Like a W530.

>numblock
no thanks

Could you elaborate on your low performance comment?
I have a T410 with 8gb of RAM and I love this thing to death.

>T450s
>Intel Core i7-5600U
>12GB RAM
>512GB SSD HDD Samsung 850 Pro
>14" 1080p IPS display
>lenovo warranty till 08/18
>both batteries are at ~19Wh out of the 23.20Wh original capacity

what's the most I should pay for this? mind you this is in euroland

Not a coward, just a poorfag

No. That's only Sup Forums autism.

Is the low res screen the only bad thing about it? I don't mind about it unless it would be 800x600 tier.

The x230 is 220€

>15 inch laptop with numpad
Why.

can someone 3d print a ultrabay for the thinkpad that has various snap in holders for backup computer things like a usb cable, sdcards+sd to usb adapter, mini usb wireless thingy...etc

thanks im just an idea guy

has anyone upgraded their t420 screen to a 1920x1024 ips panel?
how is it so far?
any issues?

Because some people actually work on their laptops.

>Not having an X230T with 6 cell + slice
>Not having over 56 hours of battery life

Got me an x61 for $50, spent around $35 in upgrades (RAM, HDD, battery). Think I did alright on my first thinkpad.

What BIOS settings should I tinker with?

not having 9 cell + slice

ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-Laptop-T420s-14-i5-2-5GHz-4GB-320GB-HDD-Windows-10-DVDRW-Office/282367916722

thoughts?

>56 hours of battery life
You're metally retarded if you really believe this piece of shit sublaptop can work on battery power for 56 hours. Maybe with 0% CPU usage in deepest C-state, 0% GPU usage, sleeping all drives, disabled/non-functional wifi and turned off screen.

>1366x768
>lelnopevovo wallpaper

Pretty much. The TN panel isn't nice. The IPS option is good though. 1366x768 is OK for me. Vertical space is limited so I keep my task bar on the left and browse the web in full screen.
If course, on the X series you won't get a dGPU option and the CPU is not replaceable.

Not him but the resolution is perfect for the size. Any higher res would make text unreadable. And please don't try to convince me of GUI scaling, it's not going to happen. Mac OS is the only OS that works with scaling. Windows and Linux suck in that regard and that's not gonna change for some time.

Well I guess you have to recalibrate your battery. Realisticly speaking you should get around 15-18 hours

Shipping:
ThinkPad X260
Part #: 20F6CTR1WW (20F6CTR1WW-PC0H6LBT)

Processing

Qty:

Price:
$808.07
• Intel® Core™ i7-6600U Processor(4M Cache, up to 3.40 GHz)
• Windows 10 Pro 64
• 12.5" FHD (1920 x 1080) LED, IPS display w/720p HD Camera
• Intel® HD Graphics 520
• 16GB DDR4 2133 SoDIMM Memory
• 500GB, 7200RPM Serial ATA 2.5" Hard Drive
• No Optical Included
• Integrated Wireless WAN: Sierra wireless
• Bluetooth
• 1 Year Standard Depot Warranty
• UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad) with Fingerprint Reader
• Integrated 3-cell (23.2Wh) plus External 6-cell Lithium Ion (72Wh) up to 16.8 hr

How'd I do?

Well you got a shitty Ultrabook CPU and you're gonna get cucked by Microsoft. Good job.

>you're gonna get cucked by Microsoft
lolno

yeah I would go for it but upgrade that RAM asap. if it's got the IPS that's a big plus over the standard display. i have both and it's pretty jarring

this will be $450 on ebay in a year fyi

I'd go with X1 Carbon 4th gen, X260 or T460s.

I haven't tried any of them but since they are last year's models they should have all the quirks sorted out by now. I'm very skeptical of day one Linux support on any laptop and prefer light weight models.

Pretty much what said.

For ergonomic setup with working extended periods on a laptop you'll want to either use external keyboard and a stand or external display so you can put the screen high enough and have the keyboard close enough. Old ThinkPads come with great keyboard and shitty displays so make you should draw some conclusions.

>limited to 8GB ram
>Ironlake GPU
>comfy handwarmer tier power usage
If the T410 was 100€ it could still compete.

yeah i know, but i need a better machine now-- and i hope this will last 2-3 years until i get done with school...

Just picked up an x220 (i5, 4GB) for £105 from ebay. I ordered the equipment (i forget the name of the clip, and some female jumpers) needed to coreboot him.

So is the x230 even close to being one to choose for 220€?

If the T430 only has screen as a disadvantage, which i don't mind, should i go for it?

what

Goddamn. I must be the dumb one around here overpaying for shit on eBay. It's hard being european and poor.

I'd go with the X230 since that's what I have currently (+ eGPU).

well in that case I'd probably go for the T430 if you already have a decent monitor. the x230 IPS is pretty good except the ghosting though. depends on your docked/mobile ratio too

What can I do about screen tearing on my x230t? It's pretty bad (at least on Lubuntu)

compton

Auctions are where it's at. I spent about a month waiting for a good deal. I missed a few.

if you're obsessive you can catch a buy it now steal in a week or two

Recently upgraded the processor in my T61 to a T9500 from a T8300, shocked how much faster 6MB of L2 cache makes it.

Anyone added a Bluray drive to a T61?

Don't really see the point with a TFT panel and only VGA out; Blu ray won't play in powerdvd unless you use HDMI

I connected one via USB once. It was able to play BluRay (on the internal screen only because it has no dogital out) but with a LOT of buffering because USB 2 and shit. There's no use, trust me. If you want HD video on a T61 for some reason, rip your BluRays and put them on a USB stick.

Bought this X220, did I get ripped off?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834331859

I am hoping to install more ram, and maybe a ssd instead of the hdd inside. Thoughts anyone? This is my first thinkpad and I don't trust ebay.

>C-grade
Well, that's why it's cheap. Condition is gonna be terrible.

Set notications for new buy it now listings under a certain amount and snatch it up when you see a good one. Got my x230 for $100 w/ 8gb ram and 300gb hdd. Good condition too.

The off center trackpoint/pad/keyboard really killed it for me.

w530 with i7 3720QM, Quadro K1000M, 4GB ram, 320GB HDD and (sadly) 1600 x 900p. 350 usd, should I?

T460s with WQHD(~98% sRGB).
ULV CPU but capped at 25W instead of 15

My T420 battery is dying (now 33% capacity).

I'd like to get a 90++ battery, some user suggested looking on eBay, but there are none on the UK ebay. Any suggestions?