Sup Forums data collection

I was asked to ask here in Sup Forums

What data gets collected by Sup Forums associated with posts? Do they store ip addresses for each post? If so, is there a specific law that forces them to do so? If not, why do they do that at all?

>Do they store ip addresses for each post?
they have to otherwise you can't ban people

>If so, is there a specific law that forces them to do so?
at least I know in the EU the law requires them to do this, no idea about the US. I don't know what kind of jurisdiction applies to Sup Forums if Hiroshimoot lives in the EU (or even Japan) and the servers are hosted in the US.

>If not, why do they do that at all?
it's pretty much in the qa. CP is illegal almost anywhere but some bumfuck muslim countries and if Sup Forums didn't take measures to prevent it, it would be gone in no time.

IPs have no value. They are stored with each post for moderation purposes. Why are you on Sup Forums? This should be obvious.

I wanted to ask question without assuming anything. I know there are IP bans, which I personally think mean little since with mobiles these days- I get a new ip very often.

So you're saying US has no such laws?
Actually I think the EU is even more worried about "privacy" and want less data to be retained so I'd be surprised if they had such laws.

Re: CP- I get your point but I don't see how CP relates to IP. I mean the primary obligation of hiro is to ensure CP doesn't exist on his servers. I'd be surprised if he were charged for not storing IPs of CP uploaders if IP storage is not mandated.

They only store your IP if they need to, like for a ban or probably while the thread is still alive. If you don't do anything to get banned and aren't using a VPN or a mobile network you shouldn't face problems. I trust Sup Forums more than I do Facebook and all of the other giants because Sup Forums doesn't collect your personal information and sell it to advertisers (at least I don't think). Honestly dude, I was pulling that out of my ass but maybe it's true. why don't you google it??

Searched around, only got this: pastebin/8bfsk6jP

No mention of what Sup Forums collects...

So you're guessing only IP is stored, and only for the duration of post. Once a post expires (after archival)- nothing of it remains. And the only use of IP is banning.

That was, desu, my guess too all along but it seems too simplistic to me...

Yeah I think we would know because Sup Forums is home of Anonymous and that wouldn't fly with them cuz, yanno. One of the reasons we're not normies is because we don't bend over and let Zuck fuck us with his golden cock. Sup Forums is a place to be yourself without worries, unless you're a pedophile like said, then you need to die. Anonymity is crucial for boards like Sup Forums Sup Forums /etc.../...

Dont know what it's like now but a few years ago Sup Forums only stored the IP if the post was illegal and was given to the authorities

>Sup Forums doesn't collect your personal information and sell it to advertisers (at least I don't think).
The only thing they would be able to do would be to link IPs to visited boards to know what your interests are but as most IPs are dynamic I doubt anyone would be interested in buying that information. Even more so now that social networks are perfect to target users very precisely based on their interests, age, gender, location, etc.

This

>So you're saying US has no such laws?
That's not at all what I said; I only said that I have no idea about the legal situation in the US.

>Actually I think the EU is even more worried about "privacy" and want less data to be retained so I'd be surprised if they had such laws.
I live in Germany and they are super anal about identifying speech "offenders". There are multiple lawsuits against Facebook because they would not provide details about suspects to authorities.
There is a clear distinction between public data and private data (that's supposed to be private) and the standards that are held to it.
Which is why cock.li (an email provider since email is legally to be handled like post) could thrive for so long and was only seized until there were legitimate bomb threats (iirc).
But try hosting something like Sup Forums in Germany, you'd be sued in no time. We don't have the 1st amendment.

where is krautchan hosted?

>EU more worried about privacy
You literally can't go and buy a SIM card in Germany without registering your name and address while in most countries you can use SIM without ever making an identifiable connection with it.
They are also 100% against Tor and VPN.
Considering how every country in EU is cucked by the new Reich it's just a matter of time before this all applies over the whole continent.

In the US.

I heard they were dicks in germany, but is it really that bad?

>The only thing they would be able to do would be to link IPs to visited boards

they could hypothetically do a lot more than that.

if you are posting on Sup Forums with your raw IP you have no privacy, you just have to accept that.

Absolutely no one cares about your IP. Your IP is public, you share it with every single website you visit. It has no value because it is not reliably linked to your identity.

t. idiot

>What data gets collected by Sup Forums associated with posts?
Everything they have available. IP, text, useragent etc
Google probably stores the associated login sessions as well.

>Do they store ip addresses for each post?
Obviously yes.

>but is it really that bad?
I'm not really keeping up with this shit (I try not to because it only makes me mad).

But right now the prosecution is limited to people who post with their real name online and if it either of those cases fit:
>it involves holocaust-denial (because that is indeed a bannable offense and the law is pretty clear about that)
>direct threats to violence (e.g. "I'm gonna shoot these refugees")
Contrary to what I've seen simply saying "muslims r dum" won't do anything. It gets more critical when religious figures are involved because blasphemy is also a bannable offense in Germany (including but not limited to Christianity).

Then give me a concrete example of how Sup Forums could
>hypothetically do a lot more than that.

>Then give me a concrete example
Sell your posts including your IP and rudimentary system information that gets sent to the server (like browser, OS, etc.) to advertisers or whoever else who already has a giant database with IPs and identifiable information that is linked to this individuals history.

Lots of people have unique IPs but even if you have provider-NAT and share your IP with other people your identity is distinguishable pretty easily unless all of you literally use the same computer with the same specs and software.

Wow, I am sorry for that. That's some fucked up shit right there. How has their not been a revolution yet?

It hasn't come up a lot. Believe it or not most people don't spend their days writing death threats on Facebook. Since the refugee thing it has come up more but it seems to die down again.

The driving force in the whole censoring thing are (unfortunately) the conservatives and the major battleground appears to be Facebook because it really is the only tangible point for them to exert any kind of control on the internet because there is a company behind it. Almost no one uses Twitter here.

History also pays its dues because our constitution and subsequent laws were heavily influenced by the allies in the late 40s who thought pretty much everyone is still a Nazi and there need to be restrictions in place to stop the state from dissolving itself (again).

>because it is not reliably linked to your identity.
>implying it needs to be 100% reliable
They know roughly what kind of person is living where, then they can target ads with the knowledge

And they use cloudflare, too

Sup Forums is in the list of sites affected by the cloudflare mess
enjoy having your passwords leaked, faggots who pay for using this site

>You literally can't go and buy a SIM card in Germany without registering your name and address

Uh, you can enter practically anything into the web forms for that.
The addresses and names I entered never got validated in any way.

Seriously, you guys aren't going to mention the fact that google gets your IP whenever you solve a captcha?