ECC RAM on RYZEN

Do we know anything about ECC support on Ryzen? I'm ready to buy, but I need ful ECC support. Any motherboards out yet with official support for ECC?

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/
thetechskinny.blogspot.co.at/2010/11/enabling-ecc-memory-in-linux-without.html
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-parts-available-for-pre-order-now/
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vpp40/no_ecc_support_in_any_of_the_currently_announced/
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vsz90/ryzen_does_not_support_ecc_memory/
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vxoo8/people_really_need_to_stop_overvaluing_high_ram/
anandtech.com/show/9643/jim-keller-leaves-amd
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you actually want something serious like that, get away from that gayming company anyway, their shit is just pre-overclocked shit that only the memesters of Sup Forums take seriously.
The "benchmarks" they keep shilling with are against a cherry picked 6900K that nobody uses here, a 3.2Ghz chip when most people run 4.6+Ghz chips by now.
They are literally worthless for anything other than fooling children into wasting their mommy's money.

According to leaks the CPUs themselves have no problem supporting ECC memory, unsure about motherboards but there should be some that do on release.

>Shilling THIS hard
The 6900K doesn't support ECC memory you daft cunt. Not to mention if he's using ECC memory he probably has a highly threaded workload, which is exactly what ryzen is built for.

>ready to buy
>doesn't even know what features the CPU supports

I know it supposedly supports ECC, but it's all about the motherboard manufacturers. I was hoping there was some actual information out by now.

> the 6900k, the $1000 chip I cherry picked, is 10% better than $300 Intel products on the games I cherry picked
> therefore Ryzen is amazing because it's cheaper than $1000
Can you stop pretending that even you believe that?

what are you even trying to say?

Ryzen supports ECC memory.

>AMD thread

are you having a stroke?

But will it be enabled when it arrives? Can I expect ECC support in the products I buy?

ECC functionality has to be supported by the memory controller, which is in the CPU these days, so only the CPU matters. (however not all chipsets support server CPUs, at least not on Intel platforms)
Buffered memory has different PCB traces and needs the motherboard itself to support it, which can almost always be found on server mobos, since you don't really need buffering until you get into the hundreds of GB of RAM, and the sticks are on separate boards.

There's nothing to "enable", if your CPU supports ECC, and you stick ECC modules into the mobo, and it manages to boot, then there's your support.

MUH GAMES XD

>most people overclock, to 4.6ghz+ even

I do not think you know what the word most means.

But it is pretty amazing how much performance they're selling for the cost. If it was a $50 difference, then yes it'd be silly to be so happy, but the cost to performance is very nice compared to what Intel has been pulling for years.

You can greentext shit all you want, but you'd have to be retarded to not want this product line happening, even as an intel fan. Competition may finally make intel be competitive with prices, or maybe even with actually making good products again...

You are aware that the motherboard manufacturers have to:

a) Solder extra connections from the dimm slots to the cpu for ecc to work
b) ECC must be explicitly supported in the BIOS

>Being this clueless

You can stick ECC-modules in a non-ECC-mobo just fine.

Right now the mobo-OEMs just confirmed that you can use ECC-ram (duh), but only Gigabyte confirmed that they WON'T offer ECC.

EDIT:
NO ECC!
NO ECC!

asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME-X370-PRO/specifications/

>AMD Ryzen™ Processors
>4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 3200(O.C.)/2933(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

NON-ECC
O
N
-
E
C
C

Leave it to AMD to fuck up the RyZen-release.
Jewtel, here I come.

PS: At least on Leenox you can force-enable ECC even on boards which otherwise don't offer ECC.
thetechskinny.blogspot.co.at/2010/11/enabling-ecc-memory-in-linux-without.html
AMD got your GNU-backs.

>We did ask about a potential single socket Ryzen/ Zen part with ECC memory support and were told that AMD was not announcing such a product at this time alongside the Ryzen/ Zen launch.
servethehome.com/amd-ryzen-7-parts-available-for-pre-order-now/

>No ECC support in any of the currently announced Ryzen products
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vpp40/no_ecc_support_in_any_of_the_currently_announced/

>Ryzen does not support ECC memory
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vsz90/ryzen_does_not_support_ecc_memory/

AyyMF Defense Force in action:
>People really need to stop overvaluing high ram clockspeeds and ECC memory
reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5vxoo8/people_really_need_to_stop_overvaluing_high_ram/

AyyMD-Status:
Utterly
BTFO
T
F
O

> Solder extra connections from the dimm slots to the cpu for ecc to work
Are you sure? Seems like you're talking about FB-DIMM.

Why do you need ecc memory op?

Uncorrected bitflips can lead to bad things, mkay.

are you gonna run a data center?

explain what you need your pc with ecc ram to do

For what it's worth, AMD is also launching a competitor to Xeon called Naples - might be worth waiting for that, if your workload is threaded enough.

There are all sorts of reasons for wanting ECC, but most boil down to wanting a stable system that isn't affected by flipped bits.

ECC is completely useless unless you need uptime measured on the scale of months and years. Normal memory also already does basic error correction without killing performance.

>Normal memory also already does basic error correction
No, it doesn't.
Which is the whole point of ECC.

lol if you don't care about uptime, is your OS that shit that it can't manage to stay functioning

>No, it doesn't.

learn how dram works before you shitpost. if basic error correction wasn't done then you would be left with tons of mangled data every few milliseconds when memory gets refreshed. this is also why you will get degraded perf in some cases with overclocked memory.

>Which is the whole point of ECC.

no, the entire point of ECC is to prevent the few freak errors you can get from cosmic rays hitting earth and similar memes. it's absolutely useless for a consumer, especially gaymers who care more about performance over uptime.

>AyyMDs falling for Intel's "ECC is only for datacenters, hence the high price"-trick
Lyl

so no reason?

I'm running ZFS

>No ECC support on Ryzen

What the fuck are they even thinking? This excludes the entire workstation segment.

Jesus Christ.

And I'm even an AMD fanboy.

>Are you sure? Seems like you're talking about FB-DIMM.

No, there are special traces on the MB for ECC

Naples, motherfucker.

>Naples, motherfucker.

>1U or 2U
>Workstation

My dual xeon workstation was the fucking shit with 96GB of ECC RAM. Granted, it was severely bottlenecked by the processors, but the thing had absolutely 0 problems. Moving back into "enthusiast" [read: consumer] hardware, it's been something I took for granted.

What are you on about, there's barely any specs out on it yet, only the top of the range.

pretty much every mobo supports ECC-ram, doesn't mean it's also being used in ECC-mode.

This is wrong. AMD will win .They have Jim Keller. The architecture is better. Intel got lazy. Look at the facts. This information can be found within seconds. Everyone knows this. I was captain of the US Navy seals. I've seen it. You little weeaboos don't know anything. Get out of you're basement and go outside so beautiful. AMD has rizen. The sequel to Myst. AMD gonna pop a cap up Intel's ass. Intel will be #2. Poo in the loo. For sure. It's common knowledge. Everything is true.

they won't

>They have Jim Keller.

>Jim Keller Leaves AMD - AnandTech
anandtech.com/show/9643/jim-keller-leaves-amd
2015-09-18

Asrock response "Yes it does support ECC UDIMM (un-buffered) memory but operate in non-ECC mode"

So that is confirmed no real ECC support in any boards out there.

Fuck you AMD. Only catering to the gaming crowd will be your downfall.