ATH50x

What's exactly the deal with these headphones? Are they meme bad or meme good?

m40x is better

This. They're both mediocre, though.

it's not, but it's close
i mean they sound pretty much identical, but the build quality of M50s is definitely better

for the record, i use M40Xs daily

i have the 40s, and they're great
i used to work at a music store, and we had some 50s for demoing
the 50s sound more....full? like there's more sound? hard to put into words

the 50s have a slightly larger sound stage/diaphram over the 40s, but i couldn't justify the 50$ price hike

i mostly listen to stuff that falls into the rock/metal arch genre so i can't speak to whether they sound good for other music

should be able to give you more info about them, in terms of why they're so loved, but for me, the 40s work just as well

meh, i guess mine are okay. 7/10

meme good. They're the best entry headphones for getting into audiofagging. building quality is quite good and can take a beating. also foldable and portable. Sound is good.

good meme, but you might need different pads, mine sometimes make the back of my ears hurt after long use

I had these for 1 day and returned them. Too hot around the ears and too much pressure on my jaw.

> Are any headphones actually comfortable to wear?

muh clamp

If you need closed headset, they're excellent and hard to beat at that price point. I love the way they fold and love it that I can only listen on one ear.

They're ok at best. Don't believe the hype and how wannabe audiophiles and normies claim how amazing they are. is a perfect example.

Lows are overpowered, they have a narrow soundstage and what's most annoying is highs get lost due to size of diaphragm every time they strike lows. They're still better than most shit tier headphones and are ok for casual listening if balanced reproduction isn't your thing and you probably will be very happy with them if you never tried decent speakers or better headphones.
I was happy with them when I first bough them ~6years ago (M50s with fixed cable) but they eventually end up in my junk drawer because of their flaws. My original VSonics GR-07 MK2 IEMs (can't buy them anymore AFAIK) beat them in terms of detail and soundstage and are much more portable so simply much better on the go. For home listening just about any pair of properly placed speakers destroy headphones in terms of acoustic representation and quality. Headphones are really only good if you don't have room for even bookshelf speakers (or are a poorfag).

So? Please recommend another one.

They're meme fine. Ok for the price.
Closed back though. Remember that. If you need them for gaymen I can't recommend them.
Need them for recordning or VoIP they're fine. Because they don't bleed sound.
Pleather pads get sweaty nasty during long sessions, so an unforeseen expense is velour pads.
I'm very happy with mine, but I have two sets of cans for different purposes.

Do they have to be closed back?

They're meme garbage, horrible frequency response that just throws audiotechnica under the bus for allowing these pieces of shit to have "studio" tacked onto them
They're fucking shit at anything that actually requires accurate flat sound, but they are durable good looking clear headphones for your shit uses for them.
Stick to audiotechnicas turntables, these headphones are absolute fucking garbage, I sold mine for a fraction of what I paid for them about a week after I started suffering with these garbage shits
My headphones after that were DT770's, much much better imo, but worse than the 880's

Its a meme headphone that is perfect for travel if you want to lug around full size headphones.
>t. m50 owner

>Sup Forums

Do NOT fucking go there to ask about headphones.
I browse Sup Forums more than any board on here, and I can tell you for a fact that 75% of the people on there don't know shit about what makes headphones and audio equipment good.

People ask about the M50s on Sup Forums once every week or two, and the threads turn to shit immediately.

Just go to the headphone thread on Sup Forums

yes

and portable

im about to just get some bose shit goddamnit

Better off with the M40s than Bose...

I have the 700x for playing cs go. Soundstage is amazong but the contrustion feels cheap and like it will break it by running over with will my chair wheele

They sound pretty good but I'm getting sick of the ear pain from the clamping tightness.

I have them and my initial impression was that I was completely underwhelmed. I bought them off Amazon.com after my Sony MDR-v6's started acting up and losing sound to one ear. I was so hyped to get the M50's because of all the reviews & buzz that basically said the M50's replaced the Sony v6's as the standard for studio monitors.

I was so underwhelmed after opening them up and playing my favorite/familiar songs, that I immediately went back on Amazon and bought a $20 soldering iron kit that I used to put a new cable on my Sony MDR-v6's. Now I could compare them both. M50's have a very boosted sounded low end, not like beats or some other junk. The low end is super clear. The mids and top seem to be lacking compared to my Sony's and that is actually what I like. Anyway I kept the M50's and have both. I would advise anyone thinking about buying the M50's to listen to them before buying.

Also the M50's were like a vice on my head. I bought some brainwavz hybrid ear pads and they are much more comfortable, but you lose some of the base.

I really have no idea what the fuss was about these headphones. Consumer reports didn't particularly like them either.

Meme bad.

Not awful, but not worth the price at all.

They're dope.
t. MKBHD

They were worth it but since it got popular they increased in price and is not worth getting it.
Still pretty great headphones.

I own both the m40x and m50x.

The m40x is considerably smaller than the m50x, doesn't have as much clamping and the ear cups are much more loose, so if you take it off your head, you'll need to readjust it all the time to put it back on.

M40x also doesn't come with a small cable, feels a bit more dull because it doesn't have much bass.

theyre the best for mixing because they dont sound like shit and give you an accurate representation of what most listeners will hear. of course you dont mix exclusively on them.

for $30 bucks on eBay they're memetastic

>only if you're not a little bitch

yep this is tru