720 vs 1080p

Give me one good reason why the lower resolution is better for weebshit

uses less data

Because I can double 720p to 1440p.
It typically looks better than 1080p on a 1440p screen.
If I had a decent CRT it wouldn't matter.

Couldn't care less about HD res unless it is:
1) to make wallpapers
2) to make epic meems
3) is a rarer anime that is graphically amazing.

From a time where I've even watched anime at 144p, TV too, it was followable.
90% of the time, I only care about a plot being followable in spite of graphical quality.
Of course, with anime it is a bit more difficult because if it is a hardsub, you are going to get fucked over at

Because the vast majority of anime isn't produced anywhere near 1080p, and compositing in anime is always incredibly shit.

just get the highest res you can find. storage is cheap.

But rather than not caring people claim it to have a higher quality due to upscaling, but wouldn't 720P upscale to your monitors local resolution?

A lot of the time you can upscale with better algorithms than the studios have a history of using, or even do some minor post-processing to fix some of the errors.

Recently this hasn't really been necessary, but a lot of anime can still do with some AA at the very least.

It'd upscale pretty well given any decent modern media player.
Most rescalers are really good these days.

There isn't really enough detail in anime to get a noticeable difference.

It's not really 'upscaling' anyway. The source of whever your getting it (CR, TV) is 1080p for them, as in what they get from the studio (or publishers etc.) So the lower res version would be a downscale from whomever you got it from.

Practically all of the 1080p stuff is just upscaled 720p stuff. Your computer or TV probably already does the same upscaling for you.

Not really. Especially since people tend to prefer smeary ringing upscalers like waifu and ngu.

Shit's also hard to do well, so. What can you do.

Not really. Especially nowadays all the detail (character art, fx) tends to be at least 900p.

I also would not bet any money that a tvs upscalers would be worth shit.

most animated works are done at 900p then upscaled for blu-ray and downscaled for broadcast

Because in the same filesize you can squeeze better audio and image closer to the original source due to better bitrate.

Gook cartoons are not fucking disney. Theyre crudely drawn and lazily animated. If 720p for a movie is okay, then it's more than okay for anime

That's not true either, especially since a lot of broadcasts are digital now! shit gets more complex because of licensing deals etc, but come on. There are whole blogs dedicated to anime production.

jesus christ are you absolutely retarded and blind? how does one even subject themselfs to such indignity
storage is dirt cheap, bandwidth is basically free
drink whatever liquid you find under the sink, seriously

You can add more bitrate to higher res video. Nothing's stopping you.

Only poorfag Americans or beans from whatever third world country with data caps care about filesize.

I always download the largest file because I have a fast internet connection and room on my hard drives. The only reason to download 720p is because you have a slow internet and data caps.

Are 1080p encodes typically bitstarved?

ye

>broadcasts are digital now
and they've been stuck at either 720p or 1080i for over a decade now.

This exactly

4K 10bit HDR animés when

Everything from the source tends to be bitstarved. Not much you can do about it.

hey! i live in a thied world country and i still don't know about a residential internet connection with data caps. All providers are giving unlimited connections.

Sure, but broadcasters like WOWOW, TBS etc, and even just CR and funi, have been excellent sources for video. It's been quite a while since i've paid attention to the anime scene, so if anything there's probably more now.

>muh grafix
>muhg graphical honesty to the artistic masterpiece

It's a fucking show about anime girls playing basketball.
Fuck off.

>1080i
which is easily convertable to 1080p since the field cadence can be reversed without artifacting.

digitally composited animations are almost always rendered at a sub 1080p resolution. When they are broadcast it's almost always a 720p stream. This means that virtually any 1080p source has been upscaled from a sub 1080p master.

If you're downloading a blu-ray rip, you may still want a 1080p copy, just because it might be a 900p upscale, and thus still be technically higher quality than a 720p rip (also the process of upscaling and downscaling repeatedly has a negative impact on percieved resolution, but that's a lesson for a different day)

mpv, mpc-hc + madVR, and a few other video players support upscaling with better filters than most producers bother to use. This means that your 720p rip, upscaled in real time, will often look slightly better than a 1080p rip.

Keep an eye on old remasters of anime that they have the film for (those 70s era anime, man)

Other than that, probably nothing ever.

Next you'll be telling me that 720p upscaled to 1080p will have the same quality as a source 1080p

>not watching your anime through a contextually aware rescaler.

human eye can't see past 720p

Being serious though, an automated contextually aware rescaler would work really well for non-natural media.

The automated part and realtime is the problem, though.
You can do pixel-thick edge detection very easily with some advanced algorithms, but they do take a bit more processing.
Then you'd need to deal with figuring out whether something is a legit edge of color and not noise.
Some anime, for example, uses a really noisy drawing style which would break horribly with this.
We'd probably not be doing shit like that until we reach 50core processors and machine-learning rescalers.
Graphene never.

Where did you get that wallpaper?

We've had machine learning rescalers since well before 2009.

4K HDR is superior.

i find 720p with component cables to be god tier
720p with hdmi looks like shit

This. Wish I could afford it though :(

in fact, 720p with component cables looks better than 1080p with hdmi desu. 1080p with hdmi looks all pixelated and shit

I mean really good ones capable of realtime rescaling to HD resolutions while not mangling large amounts of content.

There are loads of great contextually aware rescalers, but I don't remember any realtime automated ones.
If there are, link it, I am very interested in that sort of shit.

I loved that one groups research who used some algos to infer facets of images and apply them to new images.
So you could make a sunny image a rainy day, or snowy, for example.
Wish I remembered the site.

I don't mean contextually aware rescalers, just machine trained (neural network) rescalers, like nnedi3, neurondoubler, neural-enhance, waifu2x etc. Stuff like that.

most 1080p releases are 720p upscaled

It's upscaled from 720p tv broadcasts. Unless your you're really going to wait 1-2 years for the Blu-ray to come out and hope some sub group releases every series you want to watch years after it's finished airing.

>Because I can double 720p to 1440p.
Tell whoever said that to shoot themselves because it doesn't have any basis to reality other than sounding right if you have Asperger Syndrome.

This user has it perfectly right and his post actually informs you about the problem and solution. An actual good post, please take note

>I can double 720p to 1440p.
You are literally stupid. Do you even know how upscaling works? Furthermore, do you even know there is a chroma channel that is not even 720p?

Not him

Why wouldn't upscaling 1280x720 to 2560x1440 work? Sounds like it would be very easy

It does upscale. It's just a stupid thinking that it would have no degrading of quality just because "it's double". Even if that were true - which it isn't - he doesn't even know the chroma channel is not even 720p.

I just run madvr with nnedi3.

because weebs are enough of a drain on society as it is, we don't need them taking up valuable bandwidth too.

Most anime isn't rendered at a resolution higher than 720p

That's because analog blurs the image so the macroblocks blend. It's softer than pure digital.

1366x768 master race

You are assuming.