HDD to SSD

Been thinking about picking up like a 1TB SSD to replace my current HDD and use my HDD on a USB dock or keep it for excess storage.
But I'd prefer to just clone my current drive to the SSD with like Acronis True Image or something. I've heard it works and some people say going to HDD to SSD is a bit wonky.

Other urls found in this thread:

samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it may be wonky on Windows because it has it's own drivers or something. It's common practice for Linux/osx/bsd/plan9/etc users.

>falling for the SSD meme

enjoy losing your data in 3 months

I've had loading impacts in games and an SSD would fix it. Plus I do backups often.

Just use windows system image backup. Create a recovery disk /usb and restore on to the new ssd.

I used Macrium Reflect to copy my entire drive to a new SSD. Worked a charm.

Is this real? Can you really just lose all your data suddenly?

No, but flash memories have a limited lifetime, measured in number of writing cycles, so once they're over, your SSD becomes read only.
I imagine those are counted in the millions in the case of SSDs, but that's the big advantage magnetic HDDs have by now.

Anyways, if you run a business that rely a lot on sensitive data you'd like to have at least 2 backups, no matter the media so you don't pull a GitLab.

Personally I think that, for laptops SSD are better, as they don't rely on so many mechanic parts and have a lower power consumption because of that.

>HDDs never fail

Enjoy your down syndrome. Retard.

if it's the windows system partition or otherwise has "special" files on it that don't behave well when copied. use an imager. I'd stay away from acrnois and stuff though, all they make are kid's toys with tons of marketing memes and other unprofessional shit.

If you just need to move normal files like games, musics, pics, vids, etc, just use freefilesync or even just windows' own file copy

>so once they're over, your SSD becomes read only.

i could deal with that. as long as you can still read the data you can clone it to a new drive.

It's real in theoretical sense, but not realistic even after several years of normal use.

The life Span of a average Joe's SSD is about 5-10 Years at least.
I got Mine since at least 2010 and it is still in healthy condition.

If you're getting a samsung ssd, their cloning tool works pretty well: samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools.html
(Data Migration tool, obviously)

Macruim Reflect, Thank me later.

Its possible to copy the windows partition? I've tried and it not worked.

You need to do it to a separate drive. Make an image file on a separate hard drive.

Not Samsung, too pricey and only slight speed over other SSD's

>SSD meme
You're telling me you don't use LTO?

I'm RAID 0ing two Kingston U400 SSD's. Come at me.

Why not RAID1?
You get better IOPS on read speeds and redundancy if one drops dead.
If you have checksums then you can also have self healing data.

Redundancy I could care less. It's a 30min reinstall.
Everything else is backed up.
>checksums
I'm on an unregistered win7. You think I care to go that far?
As for IOPS. It's still far better than what I had.
When I go Ryzen I'll be grabbing a few scuzzy drives. I plan of making the 8350 rig a undervolted home server.

Given that redundancy is a concern of yours, RAID is the only way to go.

dd

Nothing I'm doing requires automatic back ups. And what is, is just personal archive.
I've considered RAID 10. But that's of course expensive.
I'm even looking into a USB 3.0 PCIe card to run a USB stick array. But it's still on the pricey side, but I do see it becoming an option in the near future.
I'm mainly going after thumbnail speed. Browsing 30k+ images on a HDD was just way too laggy for my needs.
It's still a while before I need to change the current way I'm doing things. So I'll have time to figure things out.
Plus SSD's should hopefully get cheaper. And with AM4 supporting M.2 I wont have to bother with raid 0 just for boot speed.