What programming language did you start out with? What language do you recommend people start out with...

What programming language did you start out with? What language do you recommend people start out with? I use JavaScript.

JavaScript is not a programming language.

VBS

>programming
>JavaScript

people like you are hurting tech and everyone involved with the industry,

please stop

i don't remember.

seriously, I don't remember how I started programming.

But it was either PHP OR VB6.

>What programming language did you start out with?
Basic.

>What language do you recommend people start out with?
It doesn't matter. Your very first programming language will not have any influence on what kind of job you will get or how good of a programmer you will be. Start with a language you find interesting.

The only thing that matters is you ability to learn on your own.

I don't even know what's real anymore

is this an idiot, or a true comedy genius?

Started with c++, still use it frequently now. Gave me a good appreciation of OOP. Probably not the best starting language tho

The good thing about Javascript is that it's really easy to share your creations.

No one is going to download and run your VB shit, but anyone can go browse your web site.

You know what he means. Programming languages and scripting languages are pretty much the same.

started scripting in bash, moved to python, then R, and now matlab. I work in academia obviously.

I'm new here, explain to me why they are butthurt

started with basic on xt computers, now mostly c# and powershell

QBASIC

>>R
ugh

I started with C++, currently use it at work. I would recommend C.

I never really liked it either. I learned it while waiting for the uni to pay for the matlab license.

javascript is not programming it's faggotry

Because op said programming language instead of scripting language, there really isn't a difference . The line between the too is so vague and blurry you can't even tell.

Javascript is a disliked language for many reasons which I won't list, they can if they want.

Plus, Javascript is used for Web Development not actual programming so Sup Forums users get triggered when they see someone call Javascript "programming"

And, currently learning Java. Hope to move onto Python/C++ soon.

Is it good for anything specifically?

That or because hating on JavaScript is basically a meme now.

Sounding good on resumes.

Statistics I think

C
I'd recommend it, so you actually know how computers work

QBASIC
Pascal
>I use
C++

>C++

What cool things have you made with it?

How exactly does C teach you how computers work? Elaborate pls.

BASIC

Not BASIC.

I'm not the guy that you asked but I use it for a lot of windows development stuff. Better than anything .net related

Do NOT start with Javascript. It will teach you a hundred bad habits and will give you a thousand head-aches that have nothing to do with programming and everything to do with how Javascript is the bastard offspring of early browsers and a continuity of backwards compatibility that can never be broken.

If you're dealing with web front-end it's what you have to work with, but learning with it is just a waste of energy.

Really I want to ask that question to everyone in this thread and their preferred language

but I don't feel like looking through posts and greentexting all of the relevant ones

I've used it before to quickly concatenate >1000 small files together, as well as calculate the frequency and standard deviation for each row within the merged file. I've also generated some cool graphs using the above data, but I'm not a fan of the syntax. It's great for stastics though, and non-programmers easily pick the language up.

Turbo Pascal
Python for sure
>I use X
C and Python

Started with Ruby.

Then realized I had nothing I wanted to do with my mad programmin skillz.

>teaches how computers work.....

People who write good C on bare metal, already know how computers and such work. Thinking you'd score an added bonus of learning how computers work by learning C is a myth. What it can do is CONSOLIDATE and perhaps expand on what you already know.

I started out with C, but now I work in mostly higher level languages like C# and related since my reasons for using C have dwindled away (e.g. targeting DOS on 486 hardware).

This is more so an after-effect of other languages' relationship to hardware than it is to C's ability to teach how computers work. In modern memory-managed, garbage-collected, languages the memory model is abstracted away from the developer so you can go your entire career without really understanding what's going on in the hardware.

C doesn't necessarily teach you these things either, but it at least raises some of those facets to conscious levels by way of malloc and free.

Also C has really predictable ASM output.

Good point, which leads me to the more direct reply to :

Learning how ASM manipulates hardware, and then how C manipulates ASM, is really what teaches you about how computers work.

Because they are jealous that people actually have jobs.

>C
>int is 32 bits .... maybe

wtf why would anybody learn this trash

>what is stdint.h
>what is int32_t

Fell for RoR meme when it was TheShit tm, learned couple loops, then switched to python.

Now python for everything, C for critical, Node for web apps. Plan on riding C++ train for fun and profit and Java for Android.

stdint.h

Not a real language but Processing is nice to use.

you can even make android apps with it

*looks up this header*

Well that looks useful and makes more sense :^)

I started with C because I'm a proud white male with an IQ of over 90. It's the most useful general purpose programming language. Heil Ritchie!

For beginners, VBA is good, that's the language I first started.

Why is it not a programming language? Some people have even written hardware emulators in javascript.

it's basically javascript with a bunch of mathematical packages and graphing options