>2017
>Winfags and Linfags still can't into high PPI
Why?

>dell xps 13
>276 ppi

>macbook pro retina
>227 ppi

Why can't apple into high ppi?

High dpi has improved loads in recent versions of windows 10. As for Linux well... who knows?

He's talking about OS

GNOME and Unity has perfect high dpi scaling

Windows looks like ass under ppi. None of the applications support it, apart from WMF which no one uses.

>>dell xps 13
ppi

Have fun

>windows

>people still use low PPI in 2017
Why?

Because of cheap

>b-b-but the specs are higher on paper
>who cares if it'll be an inferior experience out of the box, painful to use in ~2 years, and in a landfill by year 3
>w-w-w-well it's cheaper...!
non-Macfags make me sick

Does Gnome finally support float scale factors and changes it automatically once I connect a hdpi screen?

There's just no real benefit to it. It just looks nicer. At 1x scaling where you'd actually get more workspace everything becomes too small.

But it is cheaper. Doesn't mean it's good.

Besides it all depends on the usage. For a computer, you're usually going to aim for better specs. If you're going to spend more than $1k you want something powerful, not a shitposting machine.

However on a laptop I can see how having the better screen would definitely be better. Still, when you can't pour a bucket full of water on your macbook pro and have it working nicely again after drying completely, it makes me wonder.

>implying you ever look close enough to even notice

>using anything other than 1366x768
It's like you guys want to have 15 minutes of battery life.

Text isn't too small when it's twice as sharp, you can lower the size very far and still see things clearly

>Microsoft will never fix scaling in Windows 10 because they want everybody to move to UWP, which scales much better

You can scale higher resolutions down and it'll still be shaper than a normal display.

>being this retarded on Sup Forums

Mate I've used 4k displays before. They're unusable at 1x scaling unless they're above 27".

What exactly is wrong with 2x scaling in Windows 10 Pro? It looks fine to me on my 2015 rMBP.

I'm saying compared to other displays
A 1-inch word will be much more usable at 4K than a 1-inch word at 1080p
That's where you get the screen real estate

Because normies won't install an OS that doesn't support it on a MBP when macOS is so available.

>High resolution
>Low PPI
fuck wit me

I'm happy with Gentoo and a normal DPI, I won't buy a new hardware for a high DPI. I'd better buy an ultrabook with an nVidia video chip in order to use CUDA for programming and training neural networks faster.

Macs are for technically illiterate people and gays.

guess what, most people don't even bother changing DPI settings in windows

2880x1800 (on the 15") 2560x1600 (on the 13") is far from 4k. And even that pixel density causes problems in some applications. I used to have a late 2013 15" rMBP with Windows. Off the top of my head, I remember Fraps was really hard to use because scaling broke the interface, and you had to turn the scaling to 1x to get the Amnesia games to work because scaling broke the interface.

So what about *technologically* literate faggots?

I was worried that Windows scaling would affect games but so far literally nothing fullscreened has been affected. It detects the system resolution properly and I have no issues

99% of games work, Amnesia was the only game I ran into problems with in terms of scaling.

>There's just no real benefit to it
any professional creative will disagree. for me it's essential for the work I do, the fact that it looks nicer becomes the cherry on top, not the main feature

I guess I can see it for image editing and the like, but for most people it's just gonna be blown up UI elements.

Once you go hi-dpi you never go back.

Example, 5k iMac after using it for a while non-high dpi looks like shit. Same goes for my Retina MacBook Pro.

>There's just no real benefit to it

>text is more legible
>can bump up the resolution temporarily if you need more space (still sharper than a normal display)
>can see all the details of a picture just by hovering
>thumbnails have far greater detail
>filters for emulators can actually look like phosphors on a CRT

Agreed
Except I'm not a macfag
I never understood the Windows scaling meme, never had a problem when I used it

High DPI is life!

You can probably see the difference between the text in Speccy and the Windows UI font
If you cant you shouldn't be in this thread

All of this assumes that one sits so close to his display that pixels are visible on a normal screen.
I have perfect eyesight and can't make out pixels.

To his defense (while Windows is way behind on DPI scaling) that's Piriform's fault for not scaling.

>All of this assumes that one sits so close to his display that pixels are visible on a normal screen.
No, it assumes you sit a normal distance from the display like an average person. Why would you think otherwise?

>I have perfect eyesight and can't make out pixels.
Well since we know you have perfect eyesight you can easily see the difference yourself.

>Load font testing page on phone and computer
>Place phone up to monitor
>Zoom in/out on phone until the fonts are visually the same size
>Look from your normal viewing distance
If you can't see a difference then your vision probably isn't very good.

>1990's
>Windows and Linux can merge folders without deleting all your files

>2017
>applel still can't
>mactoddlers will defend this

Why?

This assumes you're some casual who has a phone with higher ppi than his monitor

>applel solution
>ban all applications and prevent any legacy applications from running because "m-m-m-muh shiny fruity toy experince!!!111"

>ms solution
>upscale legacy programs with no scaling support so people can actually get work done instead of jerking it to their fruity toddler toy

Some phones from 2012 have higher PPIs than all consumer desktop displays on the market. What are you trying to get at?

>it assumes you sit a normal distance from the display like an average person
Yes, and at that distance I get a clear picture on a normal display, no pixelization at all.

And on a high PPI display you get far more detail. You keep trying to act like people are saying you're seeing pixels when in reality it's "everything is shaper" and "there's more details".
What you're doing is a bit like saying "My TN panels shows all the colors just fine, why should I care about IPS?".

>>Winfags and Linfags still can't into high PPI
Excuse you. Please remove Linux from this list. Anything that uses GTK3 or Qt 5 has perfect support for high-PPI, since like Cocoa on macOS, those frameworks are scaled automatically.

This guy is right. None of the Apple laptops actually hit the PPI sweet-spot for me. The 13-inch rMBPs have a raw screen resolution of 2560x1600px, which is 1280x800dp at 2x scaling, and 1280x800 is too cramped for me. I've actually tried to use a 13-inch rMBP for a significant period of time and it was way too cramped. Don't suggest using a ratio other than 2x either. Non-integer ratios look like blurry garbage no matter what the operating system is.

On the other hand, most high-PPI 13.3-inch PC laptops have a 3200x1800px screen, which is 1600x900dp at 2x scaling and fairly usable.

user, yout retina has a certain resolution. If you can't see pixels your screens resolution matches it or is higher. Anything above that is useless.

>Anything that uses GTK3 or Qt 5
That's the problem. Lots of programs such as GIMP or anything xfce still haven't migrated.

@59126746
>>upscale legacy programs with no scaling support so people can actually get work done instead of jerking it to their fruity toddler toy
Or the interface breaks and you can't click on the buttons you need to click on.

I'm not Apple user, but you're clearly baiting for (you)s.

Are you even going to bother supporting that claim? Unlike you I actually have a high PPI display, you don't.

Actually I take that back, you probably do. Stick your phone up to your screen like I said in You'll see a difference. Don't even pretend you didn't if you do it.

What? The claim that your retina is made up of photosensitive cells that have a certain density?

Nice, trying to mince my words around. I'll just quote your moronic, baseless claim directly.

>If you can't see pixels your screens resolution matches it or is higher. Anything above that is useless.

You made a claim that is wrong and didn't back it up with anything. I gave you a simple way to prove my point as well. Notice I said prove, because I know for a fact that you can see a difference. It never stops looking sharper after all.

>GIMP
Hence Krita in my screenshot.

>anything xfce
Fuck Xfce. It's for faux-minimalists only. Either go full minimalist and use an app that scales with the Xft DPI, or embrace full DEs and use GNOME, Cinnamon or KDE.

Seriously, now that Linux desktop software is transitioning from GTK2 to GTK3+ and Qt 4 to Qt 5, its easy to tell which software is stagnant garbage, because those are the ones that don't update.

Please tell me how my screen having a higher resolution than what a human eye can pick up will benefit me.

There you go again making a baseless claim. You keep claiming just because you can't discern individual pixels that it MUST be the maximum amount of detail you can see. You don't have anything to back that up and I'm confident it doesn't exist either.
I have even A/B/X tested a high PPI screenshots compared to their low PPI counterparts scaled up 4x (using nearest neighbor) and it was very easy to pick out which was which.
You can see a difference and there's plenty of ways to verify this for yourself. There's no excuse to be arguing there isn't a difference.

That you're a casual

Okay, maybe 1080p at about 24" is slightly below what we can see from a normal viewing distance. But 4k would be way overkill.
Take a phone for example. Most phones nowadays are what 1080p? 1440p? But you hold them much closer to your face taking up similar area of your FoV as a monitor, yielding you about the same effective pixel density.

1.5 scaling makes it so explorer (and other programs) cant launch on a wide range of machines.

>Using outdated irrelevant to the topic arguments that aren't even correct as of this date

But not my machine :^)

Have you tried this?

I've been trying 150% scaling for 6 months

My laptop came stock at 225% scaling

There s a gigabyte GPU overclocking program, that's the only time I've ever had a problem, it makes a huge window border and then only loads up the program in upper corner of that window. The little temp monitor that normally pops up on the side of the window now pops up with a gap between the program
But that's shitty gigabyte nonsense and the only time I've ever had a problem at any scaling

why so trigd?

Are you dumb? macOS also supports the blurry scaling for non-supported apps.

>High dpi has improved loads in recent versions of windows 10.
Not true at all. It's pretty much the same as it ever was.

>I'm professional
>it's essential hurr
>looks nice durr

>Moving to another platform
>Expecting the same use patterns

>that aren't even correct as of this date

What do you mean? The latest version of macOS Sierra still does the exact same thing.

Same thing happens if it's newer btw.

Agreed, but fuck full DEs, the speed cant be compared to openbox,i3 etc..

>high PPI
Sure faggot.

Pic related.
>267 PPI

Hold down Option key, if it still doesn't change then there's nothing to replace or merge in the first place

>completely dismisses the mere existence of 15" MBPs
>muh dis too heavy
>muh portabilitay
>muh backpack

Not only has it not improved much with 10, in parts of the OS it has got even worse.

But usually it's up to 3rd party programs to fix scaling, not Windows.

Yeah mate. >14-inch is literally autistic.

>Hold down Option key
Well, that's really neat. But not really intuitive.
Why isn't this the default behavior? I mean it still offers Replace anyway, so it's not like you're missing anything.

hidpi openbox faggets

We are talking Apple here
More than one option is too much for the simple Joe

You have a point. Oh well.
At least macOS clearly states what buttons do (for example Stop and Replace rather than Cancel and OK) like in Windows.

Enjoy your keyhole.

>talks about battery life
>uses chrome

please kys

Oh yeah all professionals just LOVE playing the Control or Command game when they're forced to troubleshoot business critical software deployments for their co-workers who got a Macbook just so they can masturbate to it. It's just the best use pattern!

> "Hahahaha! I just accidentally the terminal in two! That's so useful! How do you get rid of this? Drag it out of the way? Of course not, wrong user pattern. Go click on that 5×5 pixels large button hahaha my nipples explode with delight"

>I fell for Edge and/or Safari's advertising :(

>using edge, safari or chrome

What?

Um... Because it is more logical?

>What is "Replace"?
It does exactly what it says. The fact that you have a Windows deformation because of pajeets doesn't mean everyone else should stick to your habits.

I assume that according to Apple, you wouldn't want to have the folder you're trying to 'merge' by moving it with the 'full' one gone, but rather moved and replaced. If you copy the folder (by holding down option), you'll save the newest folder, while still adding to the one with all the items.

this was already explained, stop shilling faggots

>No shadows or obvious window focus state

>calls himself a professional
>plays Control or Command game

>Safari's advertising
What advertising?

Those windows have shadows. You're not looking hard enough. They might be a bit hard to see against the background.

Chrome doesn't have an obvious focus state because it doesn't really play well with Linux DEs. Normal windows look like this when focused.

Are the shadows meant to be so small or have they been drawn un-scaled?

>vmlinuz
>DOS/Windows executable
what a trainwreck

_ ____ __ ____ ____ _____

I get at least 8 hours on my Chromebook.

It's configurable.

Whether they're scaled or not, I don't actually know. Plasma and KWin scale differently to the rest of the desktop. I think they use the font DPI rather than Qt's scale factor. In practice it works because I have my fonts DPI set correctly, but I don't know if the window decorations have exactly the same metrics as a low-ppi system or not.