Why everything GUI-related is so clunky on Linux?

Why everything GUI-related is so clunky on Linux?

>screen tearing
>lmao no thumbnails
>firefox smoothscrolling lags/stutters
>random black screen flashes when pop ups appear
>file managers always crashing

When confronted, linux users always spout the same shit

>it werks for me (followed by a single cropped screenshot that literally proves nothing)
>it's your video driver!

No it's not. Installing drivers is simple as typing apt-get/pacman drivername on a terminal, unless you're expecting me to troubleshoot some obscure, hard to find bug that "only happens" with my machine. If you do then you're delusional if you think I'm going to waste my time doing that shit instead of installing a proper OS that works out of the box.

How can you expect me to use Linux as my daily driver/desktop OS if it can't even provide a solid, smooth, fluid experience while browsing the internet/moving files around? At least not without spending a whole day or two tweaking config files and searching for solutions on the internet that may or may not work for you.

linux defense force with "POO IN LOO PAJEET XDDDDDDD Sup ForumsAYMUR GTFO XDDDD" in 3

keep using windows if you're this much of a brainlet

Why is everything GUI-related is so clunky on Windows?
>screen tearing
>lmao no symlinks
>explorer always crashing
When confronted, Windowd users always spout the same shit
>it werks for me (followed by a single cropped screenshot that literally proves nothing)
>it's your video driver!
No it's not. Installing drivers is as simple as going on the internet and downloading from shady websites, unless you're expecting me to troubleshoot some obscure, hard to find bug that "only happens" with my machine. If you do then you're delusional if you think I'm going to waste my time doing that shit instead of installing a proper OS that works out of the box.
How can you expect me to use Windows as my daily driver/desktop OS if it can't even provide a solid, smooth, fluid experience while browsing the internet/moving files around? At least not without spending a whole day or two tweaking config files and searching for solutions on the internet that may or may not work for you.

>Why is everything GUI-related is so clunky on Windows?

it's not

>downloading from shady websites

this is a lie
>go to amd/nvidia website
>download the executable for your card
>install

done; no fiddling with xorg files, no need to install/configure compton, and guess what? you can even play games!

>play games
manchild

That's cool; I'll supply objective evidence to back up my claims of Windows when you back up your claims of GNU/Linux without anecdotal evidence

> you're delusional if you think I'm going to waste my time doing that shit instead of installing a proper OS
You're delusional if you think anybody cares. Install Windows 10 if you want it, but don't bother Sup Forums again.

the GUI system is so much more clearer and logical in Ubuntu which I'm using than in Windows 10 which I used before switching.

Fuck trying to be sure you've found every application and settings menu of Windows, holy shit..

I really don't get any of this. I run xfce4 and cinnamon across a wide range of machines including a desktop p4 machine and my 2670qm laptop and have never experienced those weird issues you have listed.

>inb4 b-but it werkz on my machine doesn't count

Because you tried to use GNOME or other Gtk-based shit.

this

can mods please ban these shitty bait threads?

Use another DE, it's that simple. Unlike Windows, on Linux you can just change something if you don't like it or it doesn't work.

it's easy to understand
this is another thread of lies put together quickly by an anti-linux, pro windows paid person

you just called the official manufacturer site of a video card a "shady website"
can't be more retarded than this

But that's too hard for OP. He would have to think. That's not ez, you see?

>>downloading from shady websites
>this is a lie
>>go to amd/nvidia website
contradictory

also I could not set my crt's refresh rate to 160 in windows.

I have screen tearing on windows too. The only linux DE I've had tearing on were MATE and XFCE (both only on *buntu). Unity, GNOME and KDE just werk.

Long-term linux users when they are buying new pc or laptop does a research about compatibility with linux. That's why you won't hear from them about obscure problems with drivers

>screen tearing
Haven't experienced that in a long time with Compiz
>lmao no thumbnails
I don't know why they're not fixing this
this is b8 because no one in their right mind uses firefox
Never heard of such a problem.
Never heard of such a problem.

Easy, Linux is for tech folk, tech folk don't care about Design. While Apple folks are for Design only and Windows being a bit inbetween. Conlusion Linux place their product efficently amongst customers.

People have obscure devices on Windows too; they may not have official sites like NVidia or Intel

>screen tearing

Install your microcode. In many distros it isn't included because it is not free.

>lmao no thumbnails

Then use a DE that supports thumbnails retard.

Disable hardware acceleration dumbass. The same happens on Windows.

Never happened. Why are you even having pop ups idiot?

Never happened either.

It's your video driver

>>file managers always crashing
Opening my pepe folder with 4255 pepes in crashes nemo

>lmao no symlinks
mklink -s

How do people manage to create such problems? I can use Linux or Windows easily with no major bugs

OP, you know how you are good at using Windows but other people suck at it and fuck up their system? And you just think they are idiots? You are the Linux version of this

It used to be good, these days though quality of guis on linux is notably poor. Free software devs tend not to do too well in the QA department.

Just works on my machine
Its your video driver
Nice try Poojeet :^)

I might have some tips, workarounds or howtos I could paste here for those problems but I've never experienced any of them.

>It's your video driver
The sad thing is that most times is because of the video driver because everything that isn't the Intel/AMD open source driver is shit on linux

Still gayming is best on nvidia on linux too.

That's just because developers use hacks that only work on Nvidia when porting for instance see Bioshock infinite.

>screen tearing
Use wayland instead of X.org, it eliminates tearing
>lmao no thumbnails
Pic related
>firefox smoithscrolling lags/stutters
Again wayland should fix this issue
Another thing wayland fixes
Never had this happen with nautilus, you might try using a different file manager as there are tons
I don't think it's a driver issue. Before I was on wayland I always had to make tons of changes to xorg conf files to reduce tearing no matter what driver. The tearing problem on X is especially bad when you have multiple monitors. I recommend switching to wayland, for a distro with wayland out of the box you can use fedora. If you want to use a tiling window manager you can install sway (i3 for wayland) on whatever distro floats your boat. Also next time something like this happens you should try asking in /fglt/ and they will probably help.

Must be bait...I'm a fucking brain dead retard and have zero issues..

WHY HAVE NOBODY TOLD ME U CAN DROP PICTURES LIKE THAT TO REPLY BOX....

>tfw openbox will never be wayland compatible

You could try your hand at porting it. Also Weston is pretty openbox-like, just lacks right click menu.

I bet you watch animes

What DE are you using? Some have tearing issues and others don't. For example, when I use KDE, there is no screen tearing, whereas Gnome does severely. KDE and Unity are the only two DEs that don't tear on my GTX 760.

>screen tearing
Never heard anything about screen tearing gui

>lmao no symlinks
Wrong, there are simlinks, hardlinks, junctions and everything else, just learn how to use them.

Unronically works for me™

>explorer always crashing
I give you that one

This

There are distros and themes that try to get as close to the Windows UI experience, try looking at them before you write off all of Linux.

never screen tearing but everything else is a yes

>firefox
found the faggot

Found the special olympian.

daily reminder

>SJWfox
Sub 80 IQ cucks get to stay on Windows, never try another OS.

Back to Sup Forums, Pajeet.

>Trust company to pay significant amount of money to put their chip in your computer
>but don't trust the software for that chip on their website

linux is made by a bunch of amateur unpaid randoms without a cohesive goal.

fuck off duummy

nah

bend over boy

fucc off gaylord

nah

stop responding to my posts shitlord

how cute

s-stop right now!

>tfw a decade ago when I tried Linux for the first time GNOME 2 ran like a dream
>tfw it's all goen downhill since then and every DE is total shit
Feels bad.

At this point I've just resigned to using a WM and putting together my own solution because every DE is either shit or would require such convoluted modifications to make acceptable it's easier to just live without the bells, whistles, and pre-configuration.

Use a different file manager.

Explorer shits the bed half of the time I try to make a new folder and name it while downloading something, and I'm using the most up to date version of Windows 10 (not like I have a fucking choice anyways.)

>Use a different file manager.
I do. I use pcmanfm.

MATE is basically a fork of gnome2, try that.
or XFCE4 + compton, it's pretty close to gnome2

But it will. Once X.org is deprecated, all of the wonderful, shitty niche WMs will be ported. Either someone will sink the time to write a compositor for each, or an easily extensible compositor will be written for different WM's to be built on.

>Brainlet
I've just found my new favorite insult, thanks user

Obviously linux does not work for you and because there will be people who will defend linux, there are great chances that some people are actually capable to use linux without a trouble. Sadly, you're not one of thoese.

Why you have a need to tell it to everyone?
Do someone force you to use linux?
Do someone force you to complain about how you're not capable to use linux?
Do you want to look braindead? (if you have a problem with linux - internet search is your best friend)

OR

You're an attention whore?
Then... why so many attention whores use windows???

isnt it hardware vendor fault for not writing better drivers opposed to linux?

holy shit this
thunar keeps crashing when i ctrl+x and ctrl+v something in a different diretory, usually up one step and down one step.

gnome 3 was a fucking mistake

>screen tearing
This is legitimately an issue with your hardware, easily fixed with Googleing your card and screen tearing and Ubuntu.

You're also computing the wrong way;
You see, the only reasonable way to operate a computer is via the Text Interface.

You should be using mutt for your mail.
All your IM should be handled by irssi
All your writing and document production should be handled by Emacs and TeX
All your image editing should be handled by imagemagick and feh.
All your web browsing should be handled by w3m and surf when absolutely needed.

The concept of operating from the command line has been present from the personal computer's very inception, and for some idiotic reason, you feel it needed to run a fucking X session to send a message, or to use a fucking web browser to send email, or a fucking GUI IRC client which has a fuckload of options intergrated into a topbar which is ALSO running ontop of GTK which is running on XOrg.

What the everloving fuck is wrong with normies?

Why do you want to complicate /nick into -> Left click on option bar -> Move mouse downward -> Click Nick -> Wait microseconds for dialog to appear -> Enter text -> Press Return

This shit makes no fucking sense, and you should feel bad for ruining computing by needing to have a massive tutorial book that compromises an application.

save this thread as a proof how linux users are retarded than a piece of walnut

POO IN LOO PAJEET XDDDDDDD Sup ForumsAYMUR GTFO XDDDD

> save this thread as a proof
> as a proof
> how linux users are retarded
> than a piece of walnut

Not sure if bait or legitimate illiteracy...

Another flaw in your post: You're calling a system which is compromised of GNU and Linux, Linux. This is not correct. You see, Linux is a kernel, and without several other utilities, such as the GRUB bootloader, GNU, and a initramfs, Linux is unusable.

It is incorrect to call "GNU/Linux", a full operating system, "Linux". Please keep this in mind for future postings.

GNU/Linux is a fine operating system, I suggest that you educate yourself and then come back with some factual arguments rather than spewing nonsense like you just have.

Linux works for me out of the box 100 percent of the time no questions asked. I can quickly install whatever program I need without going and finding a thousand .exe installers for software.

I don't expect you to use Linux as your daily OS. I want you (OP) to give me one reason why I should give a shit that you use it or not.
>muh marketshare
is not a valid reason, because as we've seen, userbase does not lead to quality.

So no please OP go on and give me a good reason as to why this entire fucking board revolves around you and your unique opinion on Linux that we haven't heard before.

sage you dumb cunt

Are you actually making the argument that a GUI impedes and slows down workflow?

>he needs a gui to mv -t
>gnome 3 was a mistake
u wot MATE

Of course a GUI impedes and slows down workflow!

I'll give you an example:
You can either /nick UNAME to change your username, or you can go through the insane steps that I have outlined. Most people who use IRC would much rather use the /nick command to change their username because this is much faster and easier than going through a GUI.

Again, do you really need a search bar to perform your searches?

Do your really need to click pictures to complete a captcha?

Do you really need to either click an icon or navigate a menu, open a file manager, right click that file (or press CTRL + V) and right click again, and then press CTRL +P (or press Return) to accomplish what could easily be done with cp?

I don't understand the need for GUIs in computing, the Text Interface makes much more sense.

Exactly

loonix is only useful as:

1.gparted for cloning win partitions
2.writing long sentences
3.wasting yuge amounts of precious time

It seems as though you have made a similar mistake as this poster: You're saying that "loonix" (Note: It's called GNU/Linux) is not useful. What compromises usefulness is a very wide subject.

GNU/Linux and a daemon could prove useful for many purposes, such as the following:

* A mail server
* An NNTP server
* An IRC server
* A mumble server
* An FTP server

I could easily go on!
Next time, consider writing something like "GNU/Linux is only useful to me as an..."

Your uses for GNU/Linux may change in the future as well, but saying that any operating system is useful for your needs is just plain silly.

Windows is only good for gaming
Windows is only good for VSCode

See how silly that sounds?

>Of course a GUI impedes and slows down workflow!

Long filenames of objects destroys this logic.

Unknown filenames do too.

Then you have excel and other database software.

You can keep pointing to simplistic examples, but that's all it works for.

Imagine trying to spell check word by word without a GUI.

Correction: "useful for *only your needs*"

>long filenames of objects
Tab completion
>unknown filenames
... Filenames are pointless. That is what headers are for. This is a Windows concept.
>then you have excel
Use LaTeX
>other database software
MySQL has a command line interface
>spell check
lrn2grammar

>Tab completion

Only works with unique filenames.

>latex instead of excel

can't do cells within cells, for one quick example.

>... Filenames are pointless.

until you are trying to bring up a specific file.

>lrn2grammar

lrn2gui.

Works on Android.

Most of your claims are ridiculous but that thumbnail issue is indeed annoying as fuck.

>>lmao no thumbnails
OpenSUSE with KDE doesn't have this problem.

This

>Why everything GUI-related is so clunky on Linux?
>>screen tearing
>>lmao no thumbnails
>>firefox smoothscrolling lags/stutters
>>random black screen flashes when pop ups appear
>When confronted, linux users always spout the same shit
>>it werks for me (followed by a single cropped screenshot that literally proves nothing)
>>it's your video driver!
>No it's not. Installing drivers is simple as typing apt-get/pacman drivername on a terminal, unless you're expecting me to troubleshoot some obscure, hard to find bug that "only happens" with my machine. If you do then you're delusional if you think I'm going to waste my time doing that shit instead of installing a proper OS that works out of the box.
>How can you expect me to use Linux as my daily driver/desktop OS if it can't even provide a solid, smooth, fluid experience while browsing the internet/moving files around? At least not without spending a whole day or two tweaking config files and searching for solutions on the internet that may or may not work for you.
Maybe if you actually checked the Wiki of the operating system it might tell you how to fix any inherent problems that come with your Hardware or drivers

>sudo pacman -S nvidia nvidia-settings
>sudo nvidia settings
>check pipeline composition
>press save to xorg
done

Hmm I don't use Wayland and I never had any of those problems

>gnome
is wayland stable on anything else yet?

Linux how it is now is not a deskop OS. It's pefrect for servers, but for desktops Windows/macOS is king.
Linuxfags please deal with it.

because linux is shit.

also don't get discouraged by linux cucks trying to derail the topic, your every complaint is 100% legit. xorg and gtk are two piles of dog shit.

>drag&drop
linux fag in a nutshell.

instead of having a working solution with thumbs like normal people do he has to open filemanager every time he posts a reply, drag the image all the way over, focus back to browser and then replying.

linux is like a bicycle that has crutches in place of wheels.

works well enough here

You make it sound like it takes more than just a single click to open a file manager. Also how is using a file manager not a "working solution"? It's a program designed to manage files. You are trying to get a file to post. You drag it on and boom its there. Please stop dragging cute 2hus into your blatant Microsoft shilling campaign. Also please tell your superiors at ms that posting bs on Sup Forums all day is not going to get any Linux users to use their adware and that you guys are just making us hate Microsoft even more.

Use Wayland and chrome

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.