/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1OAB2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER
amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Receiver-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B00Q1HJW4Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Currently $55 USD

Best budget headphones coming through.

HD600 is shit.

HD 600 is the standard

Why is OP an anime poster?

Why aren't you an anime poster?

Good point.

Am I c-cool yet?

Because Sup Forums.

The truth of these threads is that:

/hpg/ will tell you that any amount over $100 for headphones (that aren't sennheiser/akg/beyers) is too much, and you're a sucker for paying that much.

head-fi will tell you that any amount less than $1000 is laughable, and that everything is cute until you work your way up to "endgame" or true "Hi-Fi".

Reddit will parrot whatever reviewers tell them is best, or choose from Sup Forums or head-fi

SBAF or Golden Ears will tell you that everything that isn't a graph is bullshit, and they are all that matters.

Reality lies somewhere between all of this. Take EVERYONE'S advice with a grain of salt and audition whatever you can before you make a decision.

try sites that offer itunes rips of your favorite bands. I have no idea what you listen to and many sites specialize in different genres of music.

just for shits & giglges, I just analyzed two rips. top one is "mastered for itunes" AAC encoded file. info says:

Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile : LC
Codec ID : 40
Duration : 4 min 39 s
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 256 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 425 kb/s

bottom one is a scene "high-quality rip" of the same song from a well-known scene group. nfo files says it was encoded from a CD. the track sizes are slightly different (inro of the scene rip is longer... possibly different country's version of the song)... but that doesn't matter.

Format : MPEG Audio
Format version : Version 1
Format profile : Layer 3
Mode : Joint stereo
Duration : 4 min 54 s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 320 kb/s

AAC wins by quality alone. it's no contenst. the files are smaller too.

if you have high-quality cans and a good DAC/AMP, don't settle for garbage music sources.

> tfw you can hear frequencies bellow 1k hertz
NIGGERBASS MEMEPHONES

I've been looking for something as EQ neutral as possible, for mixing and mastering audio. I've always had to refrence my tracks on a variety of different gear to make shit sound good, but would like something more stable and non tone contributing as a starting point.

My usual last step is to go for a drive in my '02 car with the stock stereo and check it against the eq presets. Best way to know your mix is working hah.

Tell me what I need and why, thanks.

>Why is OP an anime poster?
anime, on an anime site... such a strange thing. better questions is... why are you on an anime site complaining about anime?!?

quit spamming your fucking shit.

>Budget
150-220 dollary doos
>Location
Cunt town
>Source
Onboard audio
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Either, leaning towards open.
>Comfort level
don't care
>Sound signature
A little bassy
>Past headphones
m50xs

Just got these babies. I'm part of the Hi-Fi community now!

You did agree to my reply earlier, did you, user?
Anything else you would like to vent out? If not, I have the perfect board for you.
:^)

You need studio monitors desu, should never exclusively mix/master on headphones.
Yamaha HS series are a good place to start.

Listening from a lot of different sources is smart as people will be doing the same, car test is always an essential.

>type of headphone
>Full

Here you go.

The type you're looking for is over-ear.
Get the Fidelio X2

>don't care
Seriously? No plan to actually wear them?
>Either, leaning towards open.
Long way to spell open.
>A little bassy
Maybe HD598? They're neutral, but unlike the HD558s they do have bass.
Just keep in mind they aren't bass canons... no favoring of bass to the expense of anything else. Won't shake your skull.

Nice ponytail sports-type... want to grab her arm, pull her my way and... grab her headphones for a listening test.

you're fucking retarded. you're as dumb as a moron who goes on gay.com/forum/tech and complains about gay people there.

Come on, user. No need to so hostile, is there?

There IS a reason why there is a containment board for dumb anime posters. Why do you ignore this? What's the matter?

Now off you go, user. I promise i'll visit you every once in awhile.

Can anyone tell me what headphones she's wearing?

this whole site is an anime containment board. your IQ is too low to realize that. keep on fighting windmills, sumbass.

I'll find you more fans Ai!

That's not the first time I've been told that. I guess ear fatigue sets in a lot faster on headphones.

I have been planning on buying some moniters as well. Not sure what size drivers to go for though. I hear 5" rockits are supposed to be pretty balanced even in small spaces. Is bigger really better? Footprint isn't an issue but my studio is only 15' x 12'. Acoustics arent terrible but could be better.

Then what is the use for the board under Japanese Culture, user? Surely you can't be like this. Why are you so hostile? Surely you have something deep to vent out.

I dunno but I'm seeing sachikong!

anime wins yet again~

Good luck, user.

>Budget
$30-80
>Location
US
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Prefer closed but open to either
>Comfort level
Max comfy
>Sound signature
Nothing in either extreme.
>Past headphones
JVC HA-RX 700, ATH M50x

Alright boys so I fell for the ATH M50x meme last year. While I don't min the sound of these headphones the discomfort level is seriously driving me up the wall. I thought I could get used to them but I find myself shifting one ear off/one ear on sometimes just 5 minutes into wearing them and I've owned them for about 6 months or so.

I seriously don't care if my next set is expensive audiophile tier stuff, just want something comfy again. My HA-RX 700s (had 2 pair break due to carelessness, my fault) were pretty comfortable and sounded good enough for me but they are getting on in years at about 8 years old and just wondering if there is something newer/better out there.

Thanks.

Have you thought about buying pads for the m50's?

aa mujou...
kono sekai wa kanashimi ni michiteru

Umi's voice... HD600... Bliss.

Obviously didn't mean to reply to you, kawaii-uguu girl. I'm gomenasai.

Don't need luck! Anime is too far ahead in the scoreboard!

I have but I'm just nervous that it's the tightness of the headband that causes the discomfort, not so much the padding. I'd be open to ideas though, any suggestions?

I've tried to stretch the band out but it always seems to regain it's tightness.

Sup Forums was created for Japanese Culture.

>use for the board under Japanese Culture

to actually delve deeper into Japanese Culture. We're just skirting it here with images and such. We get to the meat of culture there.

regular hm5 pads should do it.
>I've tried to stretch the band out but it always seems to regain it's tightness.
Did you try stretching them out for a few days in a row? I had to do that to my monoprice 8323's to get them to loosen up

Master race reporting in.

Speaker size is mostly dependent on room size.
5' are fine for a bedroom.

KRK's are too bassy for my taste.
JBL305's are well recommended if the HS5 is too pricey for you.

Fair enough, but I still can't thank the idea of containment boards enough.

Still waiting on a review of these.

>hm5 pads
Cool, thanks. These look like exactly what I need. I haven't tried aggressively stretching for a long period of time, no. I've always been nervous that I'd irreversibly damage them. I might try these pads out first and see how it goes and then move to some more serious stretching if still having ear pain. Thanks.

Because instead of driving away the people you dislike it brings them in?

No, of course not. I just like their reactions, you hostile little user, you.
Are you tired, user? You seem a bit tired.

what

> Obnoxious bright red meme50x
Post pics of your boipussy
I know you love the attention you faggot

I may have read that wrong. Sorry, i'm also a bit tired. I'm going to bed.

Are you a fuccboi?

Thoughts on etymotic hf5?

>$30-80
everything you buy for that amount of cash will sound like putrid garbage compared to m50x.

>I've always been nervous that I'd irreversibly damage them
I know people say not to do it, but I've done it with my 8323's and hd 600's and didn't have anything bad happen. Just be careful and you should be good.

Any hope that modifying the stock pads will improve comfort and not compromise the sound too much?

From my experience changing the pads alters the sound significantly on pretty much all headphones.

Status CB-1, $80.

Comfy with the stock pads, sound is more neutral than the M50x, and detachable cable.

>Any hope that modifying the stock pads will improve comfort and not compromise the sound too much?
yes, of course. I have a set of velour pads for ATH M50x and they're comfy as fuck. just search for a set in your price range.

quit buying those retarded XL pads and you won't have that problem. I changed my m50x plether pads to velour and sound didn't change at all.

Nice try but no.

Superlux stuff, ISK 2010/2011, SHP9500, NVX XPT100

all compete with the M50X. M50X is overpriced at what it offers.

Get the NVX XPT100, it's max comfy and 80 bucks.

or this but get the Somic MM185 instead it's the oem version and it's 20 bucks cheaper.

Noted, thanks.

Thanks.

So there is some hope, thanks.

Watching a review now, thanks.

Good deal, detachable cable on that one too?

Some of these are so cheap I might just buy them to try out.

>Some of these are so cheap I might just buy them to try out.
they're cheap because they're chinkshit garbage. you're wasting your money away.

Yes it has a detachable cable.

God tier sound and isolation.

Was designed to match their older ER-4P flagship IEM in sound quality.

>they're chinkshit garbage.
Fuck, alright. I don't know who to believe.

Am I just doomed to needing to purchase another $150+ set? I just want something comfortable and "not terrible".

The sad thing is that SHP9500 is the best budget headphone and HD600 is the best high end headphone. SHP9500's flat impedance is really what makes it better than HD598. HD600 can't be beat even into the kilobuck meme territory.

Is it a meme that I need more than E10k to drive 250 ohm Beyers?

Do you listen really fucking loudly? Then consider something with more power.

Nice try shlomo. Everything is built in china now adays. Somic is a major headphone brand over there.

Anything is more comfortable than the M series Technicas. The earpads they decided to put on them have to be the most worthless earpads on the market for such an expensive headphone. The Somic/Status you're looking at will be a god send compared to those.

The NVX XPT100 (Yoga CD880 clones another major brand for headphones in china) will be even more comfortable than it but then is the 20 extra dollars for a little bit more comfort worth it or not.

Try bending the metal parts of the headband on the m50x. reduces clamp by a fair bit. wont break anything as long as you just bend the metal bits.

How would I go about using wired headphones wirelessly with my televison? Like, plug an output into the TV then plug in the headphones into a receiver across the room without anymore wire than the headphones.

CONNECTORS ARE FUKT

Though measurements look really promising.

>Budget
$90
>Location
US
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Over Ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Very Important. Need to not get sick of wearing them after say 5 hours of watching anime
>Sound signature
Mostly listen to rock/metal as well as electronic stuff like glitch hop and hardstyle
>Past headphones
Logitech G230 poop

Bluetooth receiver
Quality will be shit tho.

I tried the nvx pads on them but it altered the sound to much.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01M1OAB2G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought these pads and they seem to work great with them.

Pretty comfy pads for the price. Thick pads just don't work well with the M series technicas.

Not him, but how did isolation change? I have some M40x in the post and have heard less than favorable things about HM5's.

Im in Australia so big pleather pads aren't really my thing. DT250 velours seem promising, not sure what those are.

amazon.com/Sony-MDRV6-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00001WRSJ/ref=sr_1_3?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

NVX XPT100 or Somic MM185

Own a XPT100 myself, You don't even have to take them off ever.

That's what I'm doing, would like it to be cleaner.
All the receivers I see are to connect to phones. Can't find one that is meant to send out a signal to another adapter.

There are plenty. You need to look harder
One will go into your TV headphone jack and the other either on your headphones if they have a removable cable or at the end of the cable

Anything wrong with getting a Jotty?

Yeah, super helpful.

It's not a NFB-11

fulla or e10k for hd598 and i dont care that theyre easy to drive already

> Ask a question
> Get an answer
> Yeah, super helpful
You're welcome famallamadinga

>there are people in this thread that think they need a DAC and an amp to listen to their placebo headphones

So someone recommended me to get M40x's. Would they be worth paying more for compared to the NVX XPT100, Somic MM185, or Sony MDRV6?

Neither.

It's just Schiit guerilla marketing campaign. Don't be fooled, posters like this retard
aren't real. They're pajeets that will reply to themselves recommending the Fulla 2 and arguing with anyone that recommends the E10K

If you like bright headphones, then the v6 would be better

NVX for comfort, Sony for best sound.

Your call.

For bassy, XPT-100 is comfier than the Somic. Both are pretty damn comfy though, but the XPT pads are larger. Both arent built too well.

M40x is the closest to neutral. Theyre slightly V-shaped, but have the worst stock pads. DT250 pads work well. Moderately decent build.

MDRV6 are bright. Best built, and decent stock pads.

did you put that comma in the wrong place ? that shit is confusing me with what kind of inflection im putting on "like" in my head

The Fulla 1 can be had for cheaper than the E10k. Fulla 2 is 25 bucks more. Fulla 2 isn't worth it as you won't hear a difference in sound.

Fulla 1 doesn't have the bass boost of the e10k but that really doesn't matter because you can just eq. Whichever is cheaper really, so go with the Fulla 1 unless you can get the e10k cheaper.

Then again you have a HD598 which needs neither. So really just don't buy either.

Thanks for the info friends, I'll try to pick out from these what I think I'll want most.

so i really wouldnt notice a differencve from my laptops audio and the fulla or e10k, that seems hard to believe considering the amp part alone just making it louder

Do you already listen at max volume on your laptop? Do you feel like you need to go louder with the volume?

Sleep smug, smug.

I have a pair and enjoy them, but your constant shilling in every single thread makes them look bad.

they're not bluetooth, dumbfuck

amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Receiver-Wireless-Transmitter/dp/B00Q1HJW4Q

> I'm a literal retard
Ok kid

>when the shill shills to hard and loses grasp on reality

Whatever you say, first it's 700 bucks now not even 1000 dollar headphones can beat the HD600.