/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Y29qVY
pcpartpicker.com/product/JKjG3C/intel-motherboard-boxdh77eb
pcpartpicker.com/list/9pTbGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/XdQCqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/DzJCqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/bHHvvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/WhWnM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/B8LVZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/QMy7nn
pcpartpicker.com/list/7L9sPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/zdjY8K
youtube.com/watch?v=JaTvSI0K_vA
pcpartpicker.com/list/hpgTVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/tGc6Ps
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

hello fa/g/gots pls r8

I want to build a PC for internetting and occasional non-processor-intensive gaming, but I'm stuck on the notion of two 1440p (60hz) monitors.

CPU and GPU recommendations?

Budget build? I bought the same board and realized my mistake soon after.

If you can budget anything more, get a better mobo. Perhaps a Z270 like mine. Asus Prime has some good Z270's

literally what's wrong with the board

>non-k i5
>Noctua
>2133
>paying so much for 500gb SSD while buying non-k i5
>buying extra noctua fans while your CPU is shit...

If you can't wait for the R5 series or R3 series, atleast get top of the line i5 by not buying extra case fans from Noctua and get 250gb SSD

Am I doing okay? I'd like to keep it around 1k but most things should be bought from amazon or bestbuy, as shipping to HI is shit. Currently this puts me at $940, so I'm pretty happy but willing to take advice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Y29qVY

Nothing wrong but left no room for growth.

Also I was retarded and got latest gen so that board wouldn't support my chip.

>Wait for Ryzen General
See you guys in a few days.

Is this a good mobo? I cant seem to find many things that work with lga1155. pcpartpicker.com/product/JKjG3C/intel-motherboard-boxdh77eb

hopefully the last user I was asisting is still here this message is for you.

yeah I helped out a bit there I saw in the list you posted you still had the 32GB config for the ram I changed it to 16 in quad channel for you. That hard drive you picked is for surveillance camera storage (nowhere near plausible for computer use.) so I replaced that for you too with a much cheaper hybrid drive SSHD it kicks as far as hard drives go it is much faster.

pcpartpicker.com/list/9pTbGf

- Get rid of that CPU/Mobo combi, they are too expensive and you do not need the speed for gaming or anything at all. Generally speaking, you NEVER want to buy the most newest intel processors out there. They are waaay overpriced and only """geeks""" with 400k monthly disposable income get those. Either get a FX8350 or wait for Ryzen
- Fix your PSU, get something around 650-750watt with gold or platinum certified(Lower electricity bills and generally longer longevity for the PSU)
- Fix the GPU as well, do not buy from XFX, they put the LOUDEST and most horrible fans on the cards, your GPU is gonna run hot and its gonna sound like a airplane bout to take off. Try MSI, they generally do good around GPUs
- Remove that SSD and replace it with a 3TB HDD for the same price, there is no reason why you would even want to go for a SSD, those things are too expensive. HDDs generally have longer lifespans and alot cheaper.
- If you're willing to pay a little extra, get a noctua nh-d15 for your CPU, that thing runs generally the same as a 212 EVO if not better, and they are Extremely quiet(which is a HUGE +)
- Dont know much bout your that pc case, but you might wanna buy some extra pc fans (140mm, since they are more quiet than 120mm and provide better airflow)

Reposting
>since you mentioned pcsx2 emulation you may want to skip on the xeon it isn't really good for dolphin/pcsx2. What you need in that case is a i5 4690k to overclock with a decent air cooler like the hyper 212.
>The rx 460 will run newer games at medium high settings at 1080p around 40-45 fps. I recommend keeping it because it's a 100 dollar card and the lowest end of this gen. Any lower your getting last gen hardware and you will be ripped off unless you buy used. Photoshop will run a lot better with it. But for emulation I5-4690k + rx 460 is king trust me on this one. Emulators are more focused on single core performance while Xeons are good for, video editing, programming and general professional work, the base clock is to low for emulating and you can't overclock them
In that case this is what I'd be looking at
pcpartpicker.com/list/XdQCqk

Dropped to 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, with Fractal Mini C case and Evo 212, comes out to $730, $690 if I get the 2TB refurbished. Note that partpicker lists $880, but the 4690k can be found used on ebay buy it now for $180 ($100 cheaper), possibly less in auction. How's this look to you?

Sorry I forgot about PCSX2 but yea, now that I remember, that was another motivation for wanting to put together a desktop PC.

pcpartpicker.com/list/DzJCqk

Please give me recommendations for a monitor, mouse, and keyboard.

user, please dont buy a mini case with mATX, especially one with a window if you intend to game. Everything inside is gonna run extremely hot.

Question - Lost my job, and money is getting tight, looking to sell my PC i built back in 2014 - along with what is on the list I'm throwing in some randoms stuff, extra cables, thumb drive, 2 unused cans of compraised air, extra thermal past, etc, just random small extras not worth anything, currently it doesn't have a SDD or HDD just because I want to keep all the stuff on it, I CAN IF NEEDED buy a 1tb drive, slap it in there, and get win10 or win7 in there. Would anyone be able to help me price this? - pcpartpicker.com/list/bHHvvV

Is 2 monitors necessary?

I'll buy that GTX970 for 50$ user
Got email?

No, but you want to get 2 monitors if you're into coding/like having multiple monitors. If you play videogames, you want a big monitor instead. (You can always buy a small extra one if you want to keep a desktop next to your game open)
Its generally personal preference of what you want, but 2 monitors is always cheaper than 1 big monitor

Should I get a 950 Pro or 960? Is the price difference worth it?

Thanks for your opinions, I need a computer sooner than later, I'm not waiting for Ryzen. Last thread someone mentioned XFX being the best of the RX480s, I'll probably stick with that unless there is some argument other than too loud. I can buy more memory later, I'll stick with an SSD for OS and whatever programs fit. I'll definitely look at these cooling options.

I didn't realize windows effect heat. Tbh I'd prefer my case without one, but it's always an increase to price. What do you think about a Corsair Obsidian 350D? It's on the larger size of mATX cases.

Otherwise, if you can recommend a mid tower case small in size/weight, sub-$100 and no-nonsense/industrial in aesthetics, I'd appreciate it.

no, but it makes many things easier, even if you have a shitty 4 3 monitor

Phantaks Enthoo Pro

Has room for a large CPU radiator, and a large 200mm fan for GPU/mobo cooling

complete waste/10

Please don't blindly follow what other people say on Sup Forums, do your own research. Check which is the best brand for the RX480, watch youtube videos, benchmarks etc. I seriously would put some question marks if someone said that XFX is the best.

Phanteks P400s Tempered glass, and side panel windows don't actually effect temperatures that much. Don't listen to that guy.

Metal helps to dissipate the heat from inside to the outside air, glass/plastic doesn't do that as effectively. Also going full metal helps for EM shielding, which reduces chances of getting cancer

If the case has a bigger metal surface than heat can transfer to almost each area of the case. Which helps alot for getting rid of the heat inside the case since metal doesn't retain the heat for very long. Glass on the other side will keep the heat inside, and yes I do realise its on the side but the fact you don't have for the space of glass, metal instead is a HUGE waste of space and will make your PC run hotter.

>0,5TB SSD for 160$
>You could buy 10TB for that price
why do people keep falling for the SSD scam

• Asus Z170-AR Mobo
• Corsair Dominator LPC DDR4 2133 ram (16GB, 2x8GB dual channel)
• i5-6400
• SeaSonic 850-X
• Asus Strix 1080
• Fractal Design Core 3500 Window case
• Seagate 2TB HDD
• 5 140mm case fans, a Corsair SP-140, 2 Corsair ML-140, and two of the ones that came with the case
• Corsair... H60... I think? It's a shit cooler but does the job.

Got the rig used with an HIS reference R9 280 and an Enermax 1200W PSU that took a dump on me and no Corsair fans and one stick of 8GB DDR4 EEC Registered server memory for some reason. Dirty and smelled like cigarettes and schmegma, now it's clean and smells like one day old GPU

Are you autistic?

Oh and a cheap ass Dell 1600x900 monitor that doesn't even have HDMI or DP connection. Was $20 with a keyboard lol

Its a lot faster and not everyone is a poor neet like you

Cant decide on a case
pcpartpicker.com/list/WhWnM8

There's a Tempered Glass version of that case.

Alright, thanks fellas. I'll compare the two, Enthoo Pro was actually what I was considering earlier. Can you tell me how the rest of the build looks?

My criteria from last thread:
>My need is primarily a PC that I can use to download and store large amounts of data, handle 2 1080p monitors and handle emulating and routing SNES/PSX era games to a CRT TV. I'd use the PC first for heavy internet browsing with 100+ tabs spread between iridium & qt-browser; otherwise use it for relatively light photoshop and html work in dreamweaver as well coding in java, ruby, c++. I'd also want it to run 2007 and earlier games (Crysis, or later indies like E.Y.E, Stalker) and emulate PCSX2 and earlier generations at at least 30FPS and at moderate quality.

pcpartpicker.com/list/B8LVZ8
Can I do any better with a ~$1k budget?

Here

Looking for some advice. Building my first computer. The GPU is a hand-me-down from a friend but I'll definitely be upgrading it in the future. For now, this is what I have planned. Any ideas for improvements?

pcpartpicker.com/list/QMy7nn

Trying to hide my psu and keep an all white theme

I guess it doesnt matter if my gpu is black tho

Can we have a line in the OP that the 212 evo is outperformed by the Cryorig H7? In most regions the h7 is the same price, and has a significantly easier mounting kit. Much better choice for those entry level overclocks.
That said, if the 212 is $5-10 cheaper i'd probably opt for it instead.
I ask, because this seems to come up every thread.

There are newer versions of the 212 though, it's just that the Evo is the most well-known model.

pcpartpicker.com/list/7L9sPs

Think we need to change something here?

See
Also see the OP line;
>If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

-212 evo is a little newer and 1-2c better than the Plus, only $2 more right now on newegg. Ignore that $5 rebate, quite literally not worth your time. I'd recommend the h7 over either of them though.
-I'd also shave off $20, instead get the EVGA GQ 650w for $73. 99% the same quality if you aren't doing 6-hour long 3d rendering projects maxing out your power draw. For a gaming rig, the difference is negligible. That extra 100w juice will be nice if you plan to expand in the future too.
-Ask yourself if you really want that tempered glass. It costs a little more, adds fragility and weight. It's also a finger print magnet. Be ready to clean that bad boy at least once every two weeks with a microfiber cloth or something.
Other than those couple of points, I'd say it's pretty much ready to go.

There's the hyper 212x but it throws price-performance ratio out the window, which is the whole point of that product line. The $40-50 cooler scene is much more competitive.

Alright, thanks for the input.

>If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.
Offhand though, that SSD seems... old? If it's just a carryover from another computer and you're happy with it though don't bother swapping it.
Motherboard and Power supply seem wayyyy overpriced for the level of hardware you're putting in the rest of the machine. Any particular reason? The pro carbon board doesn't offer a ton over the z270 sli plus from the same maker, besides maybe a little better vrm's and whatever, but you are using an air cooler so I doubt you will be pushing the OC to the point that will matter at all. You chose a case with no window, so i doubt the LED's are why you chose it.

That power supply seems silly. A nicely made bronze or gold unit won't burn your house down. A sub 600w will hardly tug at your power bill at all so that's not really a reason for a platinum pSu.

>finally saved up enough for my first PC
>want to get the new ryzen 1600x
>wont be out in fuck knows how long, have been waiting this whole time because of ryzen meme
>mfw

pcpartpicker.com/list/zdjY8K
Here I saved you over $100. The cooler was really a "just because". I know it oc's very well. Honestly the $40 cpu cooler range is extremely crowded so you might have to shop around a bit and see which one is right for you. I'm sure the be quiet one is more than fine too.

>Sorry! I guess I am after a combination of both, neeing to have my stupid mistakes pointed out.

This is my first time trying to piece somethign together, and I am quite unknowledgeable.

I will change the motherboard for a z270 sli plus then.

Any recommendations for power and SSD? I also need to get a 144hz monitor, and would love it to be 31/32 inches. Are there any good go-to's?

I greatly appreciate this, you're a huge help!

Honestly you probably should have just bought into Sky/Kabylake if you've been waiting for more than a month or two. But now you're in that "well shit, it's literally on our doorstep" phase.
Hopefully this can sate your thirst for a bit.
youtube.com/watch?v=JaTvSI0K_vA

So, uh, has anyone given any thought to the fact that despite the awesome savings on Ryzen/possible Intel price cuts we're gonna be paying out the ass on every other part because of the demand? RAM prices are fucking insane right now...

Thanks a lot! Noticed this post after I posted mine below.

Too bad Cryorig isn't as widely available as the 212 Evo. In Canada all you get is CM unless you want to pay out the ass for international shipping...

>Honestly you probably should have just bought into Sky/Kabylake if you've been waiting for more than a month or two.

Yeah you're right. I've just been hesitant because I'm new to PC building and didn't want to bite the bullet at the time since I was/am still researching on parts. Oh well, I can still wait.

can't help you with the monitor but I know SSD's. What are you looking for? The fastest one you can get your hands on? For sata, probably the Samsung 850 evo. Costs a few dollars though.

Do you want a nice cheap "faster than a spinning disk" drive? I like to tell people to get those Adata ones. Premier Pro SP600 128gb is pretty inexpensive right now.
A jump up to a 240gb ssd is pretty worth it IMO though. More breathing room. Enough for your favorite game or two also. Again, the adata one is slow for an ssd but infinitely better than a hard drive. pcpartpicker is listing the sp550 as $60. Says there's a zotac one for the same price. I know nothing about that but zotac makes nice graphics cards.

Should i get two gpus

No, SL/Crossfire is a meme. Only get two GPU's if
1. You have a 1080/Titan XP and need even moar performance
2. You want to pass one of them through a VM

Are you rendering with near 100% parallelization?
Are you gaming at 4k and the Titan XP just isn't cutting it?
Are you a richfag?
If you answered no to two or more of these questions, just get one more powerful gpu. If you're stuck with one right now, sell it on ebay/craigslist or whatever.

So I have a list for my new build, should I buy the parts over time (i.e. whenever I have spare money after my pay days) or just save up and buy them all at once? Which one is more financially sound bois? Will be buying the CPU last because of Ryzen obviously.

The A-Data SP600 256gb looks like something that could be decent enough, I do agree on going up a notch from 128gb. Affordable, too!

x99 vs Z170?

It's about a $300 price difference with the CPU. I might do some streaming and video editing. Is it worth it?

>In most regions
You are right, sometimes that one is hard to track down. Cryorig isn't as big as some of the other companies making coolers, and they h7 is their most popular unit for obvious reasons. Even in the US it gets sold out a lot.
Plus the 212 evo has the benefit of frequently going on sale. I'm sure there's plenty more options in that price range. I'm just too lazy to research it right now.

If you buy most of your stuff now, you will have useless boxes sitting in your house until you have everything.
If you're that hard up for cash, buy used parts. Especially graphics card, ram, case. You can get a last-gen graphics card for a song sometimes. Gtx 960's going for $110. R9 280x's going for $99. 750ti's going for $70. Gtx 980 going for $250. I've seen these all on my local craigslist.

tl;dr, buy all at once unless you see a ridiculous deal.

>i plan on video editing and streaming. It's how I make my living and/or it's a hobby that I know I spend a lot of time weekly on. The difference between a 15 minute render and an 11 minute render is important to me.
x99
>I'm a gamer that might do some extra stuff with my computer once in a while.
mainstream chipset.

rate my build pls:
pcpartpicker.com/list/hpgTVY

going to be using for virtual machines/adobe suite/web dev shit

If you have microcenter near you go with a newer i7 like the 6700k or 7700k
Microcenter sells them for $250 and $300 USD respectively.
Then go with 16GB DDR4 and you're good. That CPU will still be 4 core 8 thread but newer and more powerful for the same price with a dent to your RAM capacity

sorry forgot pic

(You)/10

Ok, so I need a few questions answered and I can probably whip up either a cheaper list that performs the same, or a better performing list for the same price.
1) How many cores does your work tasks utilize? Are they well parraellized?
2) How much do you value clock speed? How much do you want to push the overclock?
3) Are you willing to wait for AMD's Ryzen to launch in 2 weeks or so? So far it will be only the 8-core - 16 thread chips, but the Ryzen 7 1700 will be $329. Might be a little hard to get your hands on for the first 3-6 weeks.
4) how important is gpu? I assume you're using it for video out or some acceleration. Are you gaming? Or is this almost exclusively a work computer?

Oh, two other questions for you;
5) Are there any specific motherboard features you'd like to have? Specific inputs, bios features, pcie connectivity m.2/u.2, that sort of thing? Or do you just want a nice enough motherboard to do the job?
6) what's your storage needs like? Do you transfer large files a lot? Do you need fast random read/writes? Backup needs?
7) do you want a cheaper list or just the best possible machine within your given budget? Or perhaps you're shooting for a good price/performance value?

well, here's my slightly tweaked list.

oops
pcpartpicker.com/list/tGc6Ps
$30 cheaper, more storage, nicer case to work in. Will oc just a hair better. Cooler has better ram clearance.

Ryzen 1700x and gtx1080

>non-proccessor-intensive
>8c/16t $400 behemoth
You wot m8? Shit they could skirt by on a Sky/Kabylake i5 x500 or x600k.
They sound better off using a Ryzen 5 chip (probably want the 1600x though) but Ryzen 5 hasn't even had a release date yet, let alone gaming benchmarks.

>non-processor-intensive gaming
what does this even mean? Are you going to choose what games you want to play based on their processor usage?

If you buy a high end GPU you need a good CPU. If you buy a low end GPU you can get away with a low end CPU. Simple as that.

Unless the original user wants to clarify that they play every single new AAA game and demand ultra settings with cranked up Antialiasing and whatnot I think a 6600k / 7600k + gtx 1070 is plenty more than enough. That config will get reliable 60fps in 90% of games at stock settings and I wager it will hit 60 fps in the rest with some overclocking. That will probably last more than 1 year at ultra settings, 2 years at high settings. If you're willing to manually tweak settings like turning down shadows, water, etc, probably past 2 years/ I think telling them to go for a $400 cpu is overkill here.

so we already know prices of amds midrange cpus? I want to build a allrounder pc for me which will last another 5-6 years, my 7 y/o pc is slowly dying on me (and I can barely play normal games like sc2 on it)

Wich will be the best AM4 mobo ?

Skylake is enough for most games right now, but it's bad value for money and has no upgrade path.

If you want cheap and don't want to wait you are better off getting some used Haswell off ebay than to invest into a newer but already dead and abandoned platform.

One not released yet.

But at launch the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 5 looks to be the one to get.

Here is the list i gave daddy for my new gayming pc ! :)

I have a barracuda 3tb hdd that miraculously works after 3 years and I'm thinking of buying a new one as an insurance. What should I get? I'm confused about the current market of hdds.

Also is there a reason(besides less space) not to get a 3tb hdd when there isn't a 4tb one available?

Good for you. Have fun with it. Might want to wait a week to see if they announce the gtx 1080ti. They have a big press conference scheduled soon.

Toshiba P300 if budget, otherwise HGST Deskstar NAS or 7K6000.

Yeah im waiting for the Arctic storm 1080tis
Using strix 980ti sli on current build

>i7-6800K
>not R7 1800X

Fuck amd.

How viable could it be to build a cheap machine in a small box for light gaming and emulators round my girlfriend's house for 250GBP max? Hard mode: 720p gaming (FIFA, GTA etc) and small enough that I can travel with it.

Also I have a graphics card (HD7870) sitting around that I could use but that's pretty big. Also have a spare GT710 but that's probably too weak.

Just remembered I also have a Corsair PSU which I think is 450w

>Toshiba P300
Is x300 good too? Also what about wd blue?

Enjoy being BTFO by the 1800X then, retard.

X300 is also good, it's their "high-end" consumer HDD, but i believe you can get a good HGST for the price of a X300.
WD Blues are good, obviously, but i'd only get them on a very restricted budget.

Stfu shill

>fuck amd
>no u are the shill
Pure autism. 1800X tears your 6800K a new arsehole.

>i7-7700K vs 1700
>not 6800K vs 1800X
Literally not an argument you illiterate retard.