Honest thoughts on High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2?

Honest thoughts on High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC), also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2?

Other urls found in this thread:

builds.x265.eu
tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-hardware,30539.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Rotten to the core thanks to patents and shit. AV1 next year is the only thing that has a chance to replace h264 with actual benefits.

shut the fuck up nerd

Very much this.

You're in Sup Forums... kindly move back to

x265 is still bad.

Doesn't the HEVC part in the OP image look better simply because the white balance is fucked and the right side is simply darker? 22 mbps at 1080p is like blu-ray quality, and the image is downscaled to some shit resolution, so you shouldn't be able to see any difference.

>AV1 next year
Last year AV1 was a next year thing. Is it ever going to happen?

They were supposed to freeze the bitstream for the beginning of the year but decided to push back that date to the end of this year. They probably have good reasons to do so.

/cast Summon [@Daiz]

It's a pretty nice, it's now at least 50% more efficient than H264 is.

I use the latest encoder from here:
builds.x265.eu

Though I can't bring myself to use the 10-bit encoder, support is just software decoding on most phones including mine. Shame, it would have made the quality of most content out there look significantly better.

What cartoon is this?

Imaji no Reversa Saarchi

TOP KEK

Amazing codec, but the MPEG-LA fucked it up by being ultimate jews with the licensing. I don't believe that AV1 will be better than h265, but if it manages to surpass h264 it will have widespread adoption.

who watches video on phones though?

Yes, the comparison is shit, and meant to deceive (supersaturated image, same trick sellers use to sell TVs). But it is known that H.265 has comparable quality to H.264 at half the bitrate.

>support is just software decoding on most phones including mine.
But it's coming, user!

What do you think is better, 10-bit 264 or 8-bit 265?

kek

I'm pretty sure AV1 aims at 50% more efficiency over HEVC.

Most do, there is nothing more comfy than watching a movie on your phone snuggled up in bed. Though most also just stream whatever netflix or crunchy roll shits down their throat.

HEVC is great, but it takes way too long to encode properly. Not only that, it's fucked up by being subject to shitty fees. I hope AV1 delivers.

>But it's coming, user!
Just like 10-bit H264 HW decoding did? Oh wait...

>What do you think is better, 10-bit 264 or 8-bit 265?
8-bit H264 since it has HW decoding support on like 90% of phones.

I wasn't doubting the efficiency of h.265, should have made that clear tho.

Snapdragon 820 and 821, user.
>H.265/HEVC 10-bit decoding 4K at 60 fps

>tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-hardware,30539.html
dam you was right...

I couldn't care less as long as my chinese cartoons can run on my Core i3. I don't think fansubs will make such a rapid change seeing most NEET's are weeb scum and have shitty computers.

i would love to re-encode my stuff in HEVC, but as long not a single device i own supports hardware en/decoding that wont happen..

>re-encoding video

>get the latest episode of Taboo
>the one with most seeds is a 800mb H.265/HEVC file
>decide to try it out
>open it up on vlc
>100% cpu usage
>video stutters like crazy

what the fuck
I mean the quality was incredible, especially for an 800mb file but I wasn't able to watch it at all on a haswell mobile processor. That's unacceptable

Every encode is a re-encode.

You realize even blu-ray discs are just transcodes of the original raw 1-2 TB uncompressed video footage, right?

There's a point where transcoding isn't a problem since so very little detail is actually lost due to video compression efficiency.

RAW video › Blu-ray › ~4GB HEVC rip

The above is perfectly okay.

>Blu-ray › ~4GB HEVC rip
Eh, 4GB for a 1080p BD rip seems like it would be a pretty bit-starved encode even for HEVC.

Underrated

Dam my dude, you don't know shit about proper video encoding huh?

>protip: nobody uses average/constant bitrate outside of streaming, CRF exists for a reason

But what kind of stupidly high CRF would you need to end up with a 4GB 1080p encode that is over an hour long? I'm pretty sure the final result would be YIFY-tier.

>vlc

there is your problem. I have a duocore and have no problem running H.265

>But what kind of stupidly high CRF would you need to end up with a 4GB 1080p encode that is over an hour long? I'm pretty sure the final result would be YIFY-tier.
You're underestimating how far HEVC has come, whatever CRF gets you ~4GB for a typical 2-hour 1080p action movie would give you very high quality video especially if a 10-bit HEVC encoder was used.

Yeah and re-encoding something n+1 times is worse than re-encoding it n times.

>transcodes of the original raw uncompressed video
That's like bringing up the fact that mp3s are just lossily compressed versions of the original uncompressed audio in an argument about converting mp3s to AAC. It's totally irrelevant, unless you think I believe that blu-rays are lossless.
>blu-ray to 4GiB HEVC
That would be fine in my opinion too, since I download 10 GiB rips instead of the 25 or 50 GiB originals most of the time, but then again, the original poster most likely did not have re-encoding blu-rays in mind, since what kind of person hoards full blu-rays and then waits years for a new encoding to be released instead of just getting the already available 10 gig versions?

>patents
This is always the only argument against it.
And since patents should not be an issue if you're pirating shit (which you should be doing anyway), then HEVC is simply great.

>tfw have a huge collection of HEVC encoded Movies and TV Shows.

Normalfag leave.

Shitty hardware support although smaller file size is nice.

I often end up end up transcoding it to h.264 for my tv to support it or for my phone so that the battery won't sudoku itself.

If I can choose I always pick h.264 just for the convenience.

this user gets it.