I'm on arch

I'm on arch.

Gentoo intrigues me, is there any good reason to switch?

I don't see any reason to install anything apart from Mint. That is, if you have life I mean.

Mints release cycle is bass ackward, and it offers no advantages over Ubuntu
You can install cinnamon on Ubuntu

But what if he enjoys tinkering and solving problems?

Gentoo seems to have a more competent developer community, but definitely has a higher threshold of knowledge
I'd recommend trying Gentoo in a virtual machine, and if you like it continuing to use it

i'm on arch, but because of extreme faggotry and pretentiousness from the devs who are dropping i686, i have to switch to something else

gentoo, void, or debian?

>Gentoo seems to have a more competent developer community [over Arch]
This.

>depends on i686
What CPU you using, user?

Try Sparkylinux

Unironically install gentoo

Do people still use Gentoo now there's Source Mage?

Install gentoo

>What CPU you using, user?
pentium 4 on desktop, atom n270 on netbook

will look it up

seriously considering it. i've been using arch for 7 years. have little experience with void. no experience at all with gentoo. i'm thinking debian testing may be the easiest and closest to what i got now.

Debian testing is also very good, both debian and Gentoo have active developer communities
I also find Ubuntu to be good, since it has the least bullshit in general

Portage can't be beat senpai

>using terrorist ubuntu version

>Gentoo seems to have a more competent developer community
We were too effective at spreading the Install Gentoo meme. Its community today is not much different from Sup Forums.

Why terrorist?

This. This is why I insist on putting Gentoo on my next build. They are the only ones who can help me install Yoda Stories.

The guy who made it is vocal about not supporting Israel

>not supporting le terrorist jew
>being pro-terrorism
the mental gimnastics are real

he is a terrorist because he doesnt support the terrorist jew state?

wouldn't running gentoo with an old processor be a pain for compiling? pls respond i wanna run gentoo on an old piece of shit

Are you American by any chance?

Yes. Consider Sabayon.

portage

Hardened patchset
Compiling from source your kernel and software is more secure.

No 32 bit :-(

You can use distcc if you have a faster machine too.

Hopefully you only setup your system once, wait a bit, then don't install too much
Once your system is setup to your preference you make a backup and restore from that if you need to

I only used Arch for a few days but hated it. Gentoo is where its at. Portage is fucking great no memebro. Don't let g down.

What about updates?

Drink a gallon of bleach you hopeless validation seeking fuck. Kill yourself!

Gentoo is safer as you can never know if a binary is infected other than compiling from source yourself

Easy to install gentoo. Hard part is making it work.

Sure, you've read every single line of code.
You also used advanced black magic to summon your compiler from the void.
And you still don't know shit about the firmware in your hardware.

Sounds like you can never be safe

Embrace the botnet faggots aAHAHAHAHAAHAAA

Install Gentoo.

>Gentoo intrigues me, is there any good reason to switch?
You just blew all your money on a new 8 core cpu and desperately need to justify the purchase?

You won't have to spend much time doing anything, yeah. You install it and get situated which is going to take ages, and then you barely have to touch it. It's not bleeding edge and it's got a much more stable and conservative release system so updates are a rarity and not necessary. Ocasionally you might do something and have to recompile your kernel, which might take you 10 mins and a reboot, that's about it.