/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Previous thread: → #

IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

mcdojf.wixsite.com/t400
aliexpress.com/item/Shipping-free-For-intel-cpu-laptop-Core-2-Duo-t9600-CPU-6M-Cache-2-8GHz-1066/2054080671.html
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History
support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd002380
support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd005154
support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd003189
dasung.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

explain this OP pic to me right now

thinkpad 13 sold out now sigh i was going to pick up a fully spec'd out one.

when is lenovo bringing back the good keyboard?

It'd be cool if they sold an easy to install (although I can't see how that'd be possible) FHD mod for the x220.

Chinks selling a 2k IPS screen mod for T420/T420s/T430/T430s

Got my x201. Is the keyboard supposed to be flex with any significant force?

I got a T400, 1440x900,P8600 version for $80.
Battery lasts 1 hour(worn original 9 cell).

I turned it on with windows and screen started to flicker, but in linux its working perfectly so i guess it was from the travel.
Its oily as fuck.
Also trackpoint is worn.
All USB ports working.

Other than that HDD is perfect, only 9k hours.
Did i do good?

2GB DDR3 RAM though.

>ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Generation (Black) Product ID : 20HR000DUS
>Quantity : 1
>Unshipped Quantity : 1

>Ordered: February 21, 2017
>Expected to Ship: February 27, 2017
>Expected to Arrive: March 3, 2017

shit keyboard tho

Never, the newer ones are just as good, as lomg as you get the non-backlit ones.
LVDS can't do FHD so you always need some sort of adaptator taking signal from dock DP. It's always a nightmare and everyone taht sold an adaptator was a bitch and would not share plans. Chinese are the worst, the want to install it for you.
Yep, dealing with those guys suck so a Russian dude made his own in small barch but it's sold out and he does not want to continue.

You did great, you can buy P9600 for 10$ off aliexpress. The modded Bios is easy to install so you can remove wifi whitelist.
mcdojf.wixsite.com/t400
Trackpoint nub can be replaced easilly. 3 styles available.

>anything but the literal best of all time is shit

Good on ya, user.

aliexpress.com/item/Shipping-free-For-intel-cpu-laptop-Core-2-Duo-t9600-CPU-6M-Cache-2-8GHz-1066/2054080671.html

Do it, max it out ! get some dual-rank 2x4gb ram off graiglist and you'll be in buisness.

Does the backlighting make that much of a difference? Do the new pads still come with the thinklight?

>Do the new pads still come with the thinklight?
No

No thinklight for newer pads, replaced by BL keyboards. The difference is in key travel and surface feel.

It only will take 2 months but will do.

>key travel and surface feel

Well, shit. I hate using non-backlit keys during plane flights and whatnot.

You need to disasemble the heat-sink anyway for cleaning. get some decent heat compound.

I already have NT-H1 around i use to clean computers.

T70 when? T70 where? How much for T70?

>tfw the 2017 Carbon costs equivalent of 350 dollaridoos more than the 2016 Carbon, in my idiot country

Is it normal for it to do a high pitch noise?

Sounds like coil whine? Safe, but pretty annoying.

Yeah, never noticed it till i started to install windows on it.

Is it worth upgrading an i5 2450m to an i7 2640m?

the noise tells that it doesnt want to run proprietary botnet operating systems, dont abuse your thinkpad with winshit

What machine ?

i upgraded to a 2720qm and was worth it

x220

Is it normal to keep going even after the laptop is off?

nvm, I thought the processor wasn't soldered.

X-series cpu is soldered to the socket.

high pitch while, similar to a wall-wart ?

yes if it has windows

remove it as soon as possible and install gentoo so your thinkpad can be at peace, its suffering

If the laptop is charging on battery, on still running the fans because it's too hot then it could still have whine.

Its not running hot, its running at 45°C.
But yeah, its only making noise when the charger is plugged in, meanwhile is working with a battery it makes no noise at all.
Honestly i cant describe it, will try to record it.

hey dudes what is a good distro for a handsome T61 with 4GB ram and 60GB ssd i just bought from some med school slut?

i want something that just werks without extra shitty tinkering, a couple of years ago i ran Lubuntu on an old Latitude and everything worked™.

what about this T61, never had a thinkpad before, what extra shit should i configure/install especially for this ssd?

is powertop/laptoptools a meme? any special drivers i should be aware of?

thanks and god bless.

a.pomf.cat/imxtns.3gp

Found a T540P listing in craigslist for $350. I haven't checked it out in person, but does it look like a good deal?

15.5"
Processor: Intel Core i7-4600M - 2.9GHz
Memory: 8GB DDR3L SDRAM
Hard Drive: 256 GB HD

Am I corect?
> 1. T9600 is the beastiest CPU supported by T400 / T500 / W500 / X200
> 2. it doesn't require a bios mod or anything
> 3. it's a simple swap on T/W but requires resoldering on X200

Yeah that's classic coil whine. Are you sure it's coming from the laptop and not the charger though?

Yeah its from the laptop.

Charger looks shady though.

Modded motherboard for t420 fucking when

256 implies SSD.
It's not bad, but remember to factor in like 20 dollars for a touchpad replacement.

>T9900 actually, but i'd pick a P9700 because of the lower TDP.
>correct
>correct

What's shady about its looks? It's a genuine one, not chink

Looks fine to me?

It's probably just a problem within the laptop, unless you want to desolder and replace a bunch of shit in an effort to stop it.

what is a good price for a t43 in a good condition?

>It's a genuine one
Is it? i doubted it because looks way to new.

So I found out about locked BIOS and this computrace thing days after ordering a refurbished thinkpad.

What are the chances that shit is going to be enabled if I buy it from a really legit refurbished laptop store that sells dozens of these with very good reputation?

really low to 0.

1. If you really want to invest money, T9900 is the ultimate best ... but you might want to go down a notch or 2 and invest elsewhere. "T" series are 35w, "P" series are 25w. both will do, you won't overheat or anything but battery life will suffer if that's important to you.

2.yep
3.yep, it's socketed.

Which is latest ThinkPad model manufactured by IBM?

X41, according to this thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_History

Thank ya' user and sorry for stupid question, yeah.

Not to worry, I too have a fetish for IBM branded Thinkpads.

Quick question. Mini dock 3 or the Ultrabase Series 3?

I do need DVI, but I figured I could always buy one of those DP to DVI cables. Can the cd drive be replaced with a hard drive or some shit?

Does anyone know how the old dell xps 13 is?

Thanks!
I guess all said about T/W equally applies to R400/R500 too.
But isn't there some catch about the T9900 and T9700? I'm dubious just because Lenovo spec sheets of T/W/R400/500 don't mention them

>support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd002380
>support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd005154
>support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd003189

> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P7370 (2.0 GHz), 3-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8400 (2.26 GHz), 3-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8600 (2.40 GHz), 3-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P8700 (2.53 GHz), 3-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P9500 (2.53 GHz), 3-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor P9600 (2.66 GHz), 6-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5670 (1.8 GHz), 2-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5870 (2.0 GHz), 2-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6570 (2.1 GHz), 2-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53 GHz), 6-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9550 (2.66 GHz), 6-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9600 (2.80 GHz), 6-MB L2 cache
> Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9800 (2.93 GHz), 6-MB L2 cache

And for the X201/X201s/X201i/T410/T410/T410i/T510/T510i/W510 there's a similar story, right?
11. X have soldered CPUs
12. T/W with dGPU can take absolutely anything that's PGA988, all quadcore clarksfields included (i7-720QM, i7-740QM, i7-820QM, i7-840QM, i7-920XM, i7-940XM)
13. T/W without dGPU can take anything that's PGA988 as long as it has iGPU, so, well, all PGA988 arrandales
Correct? Or is there something more to it?

I would say that the X60 series would have been designed, planned and built by IMB, as the product roadmap is longer than one year... so yes, the branding changed but IBM still desinged it and the assembly plant was likelly the same.

>shipping from China
>time in China: 7:45 AM February 28th
>no shipping update

don't listen to lenovo, they also mentioned somewhere that the t420 only uses up to 8gb ram when everyone knows it handles 16gb fine.

yes

Ordered a "perfect" condition T420 with 1600x900 Resolution and a 9 Cell

Receive a T420 with 1366x768 and 6 cell. FUCKING EBAY.

To be fair, it was spotless, not a single scuff or anything, but come the fuck on?? ?

complete shitThinkpad forums, and Lenovo's own support forum have reports of T9900 working on T400. That list is just what was for sale for T400, the official parts from Lenovo.

That document also list 4GB max RAM (for T400) when you can actually run 8GB (as long as it is dual-rank dimms).

I don't know for T410 series but I would be surprised if there was a hardware limitation for CPU like the pci-e whitelist.

Starting the XX30 series, the bios is heavilly locked down and you can't really do cool mods.

Could anyone give me some assistance in getting my stylus to rotate with my screen? I have tried making this script, but it isn't getting me far.

#!/bin/bash

case "$rotation" in
normal)
#rotate to left
xrandr -o left
xsetwacom set "12" rotate ccw
;;
left)
#rotate inverted
xrandr -o inverted
xsetwacom set "12" rotate half
;;
inverted)
#rotate right
xrandr -o right
xsetwacom set "12" rotate cw
;;
right)
#rotate to normal
xrandr -o normal
xsetwacom set "12" rotate none
;;
esac

both screens are shit anyway

Trust me, I know. But I'd take my 1600x900 I was told was there over the latter any day.. but you can't advertise X and give Y. Site is fucking garbage and most of the shop owners are lying pricks.

My T400 isn't booting from a live usb. I think this is where it ends for me.

complain, you might get some money back. Or the actual laptop you ordered...

Did, a lot. He refuses to give me money back, so I'm issuing a full refund and having to ship it back, but god damn, this sucks

Hope shipping is free

Is it total shit?

yes it is, flimsy POS. screen isn't bad, but construction is awefull.

What else is there? That isn't dogshit, most are.

X1 Carbon. Unless you want the XPS 13's bezels, then there's nothing except for that and 51nb's X320/X330.

51nb's people are egocentric and unwilling to provide informations about the (rather inefficient) mod. The german thinkpad forum have poor reviews of the mod.

Still pretty much the only thing out there with modern internals and comparable bezels to XPS 13/15, though. Sadly.

>what is the new x1 carbon

Fuck off chang

New update
>expected to ship March 9th

Anyone ever heard of installing an e-ink screen in a ThinkPad? If it would work, I'd love to put one in my X60 Tablet. I take it everywhere and use it for reading but it's basically impossible to see anything when outdoors. I guess I could upgrade to an IPS screen but e-ink would be awesome. Plus I figure you'd probably get better battery life too.

I found this, only eink screen designed to work with a pc I could find. Would be some significant modding to get it to work, probably not worth it.

missed link: dasung.com/

Ya. Last I heard it was sold out. Also, like you said, modding the connection so that it would be compatible with the X60t mobo would be quite a pain.

Do you guys have anything against number pads on laptops? Why? Just curious.

Its OK so long as it doesn't make the keyboard and trackpad shift to the left.

E-ink doesn't work overly well for computer use, you'll only get a refresh rate of about 15hz and at that point there'll be severe ghosting, and refreshing e-ink uses a lot of power - displaying video is no better on battery than an ordinary screen with reasonable brightness. You could always look at something like the Yotaphone 2 if you want a convenient E-ink screen, there are apps to use android phones as secondary screen according to google, but I haven't tried any myself.

What kind of backlight does the X60 use? There's LED backlight conversion kits around and that can really improve brightness which is what you want.

Most people won't get enough use of a numpad to justify fucking the placement of the rest of the input devices. I kind of wish there was the option on 15" models to choose the kind of screen you want, but I suppose a lot of the ones without use the space for speakers instead. The ultrabay numpads aren't exactly in plentiful supply either.

This is my first time owning a thinkpad (currently running a t430 with i5 3230m) and I notice that it tends to get kind of hot underneath, though it never goes beyond 52 degrees.

Is it normal for these laptops to get hot? The fan is a little loud but it seems normal for such a good cpu and it keeps it stable. Already cleaned it with compressed air.

Ask for a refund for the difference. A perfect thinkpad is hard to come by.

Not sure about the backlight but I'll look into it. As for the battery issue, for me at least, the only thing I use my X60t for is documents; pdfs and ebooks; so refresh rate isn't necessarily a problem. I've actually got the original larger battery (10 years old) and get around 4.5 hours since I don't use a DE and and run only the absolute minimums. Even on full brightness the battery would probably be fine if I got a new one but honestly even the brightest setting isn't enough to read things clearly.

Real cleaning is done by removing the heatsink and cleaning the finns and fan. Yes, you will need to clean old thermal paste and reapply.

Your laptop is over 4 years old, it's normal to have to take it appart for cleaning.

I guess that even after that it's normal to see those temperatures and a little heat underneath, right?

over 45C in normal use ? Not really. heavy use, maybe.

I hate to break it to you but idle temps for my brand new T430 were around 40C - 50C back in the day. Heavy use brought it to around 70C - 80C. All depending on the room temperature of course.

Nah that's the easy part, it just connects to usb, just stick it on one of the usb ports, or use one of the ports from the dock connector.

The hard part would be fitting it into the screen neatly.