youtube.com/watch?v=_Tx6TYnPat8
youtube.com/watch?v=pnsizkVjGm8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

a digital potato

here's nine for you

Digital Equipment PDP-11/70

what did they even use these toasters for

math

I built an Altair 8800 just after they hit the market.

>yes I'm older than 99.999% of you punks
>deal with it

you can't just post things like that without explaining what it does.

some was just business bookkeeping stuff, some of it was number crunching, some by students and professors for programming and computer research

did you get a teletype or just sit and stare at the blinkelights?

its the first digital camera, stored photos on the cassettes

You could run CP/M on an altair 8800

business applications, games, program, etc

A E S T H E T I C S

forgot pic

>tfw all those resistors were hand-soldered by American workers

Alan Sugar wouldn't know taste if it bit him in the ass.

Was looking at the labels above the number keys and trying to figure out how the fuck it makes sense to store your colors in G,R,B order. But then I realized this thing probably outputs to a TV.

I used one of those as a kid, you had to wait like an hour for the entire cassette tape to play through before the game would load

you will never live to buy a house in an age where energy supply is free and the last architectural fad featured integral replica antique computing appliances

I here you

I'd love to live in one of those 'house of the future' concept homes of the 50s/60s where everything is automatic and blinking lights and switches are on every wall.

>camera lens
>hooked up to storage medium
oh shit i wonder what it does

>average middle-class american home in the far off year of 2000

great pic there. kindof what i want to build someday, a short and big quonset hut, but id go geodesic ends instead of verticle windows. will do integral shenanigans if i ever save the money to build

How do you even use this? Where does the keyboard go?

You program it by flicking the switches on and on bit by bit, and then watch the lights output the result.

This is a teletype right?
I hear them so much in shortwave but I've never actually seen one in action, thanks for posting user.

Is this seriously an instructional/historical video about a fucking rotary phone?

Who hasn't used these?

FUCK YOU WORLD, I'M NOT OLD YET I'M ONLY THIRTY-FOUR DAMMIT

lots of children have never even seen a "modern" house phone.

>still have a landline
>people make fun of me for having "obsolete tech"
>one day mass cell tower blackout
>I can still call while they can't
>mfw

You need to stop posting on Sup Forums and get a wife. Have some children before you turn 40 you numale fagloid.

Hey I'm a 90s kid and I remember those from going to grandma's house

>DAMAGE CONTROL

That's nice. But you're the one dude who has a land-line in an age where everybody has a cell phone.

So...

Except I have a cell phone and a landline

who the hell are you gonna call if no one else has a landline

gee you sure showed them Mugi

>Early 50's style minicomputer
MUH

youtube.com/watch?v=jwaeGKuTpCc

>tfw there's a semi operational one somewhere
youtube.com/watch?v=j-zkkdhkQCM
>tfw this shitty flip phone video is all we have of it

>you will never have a comfy job in a datacenter

Sometimes I just wish I had the experience to just go work for a computing museum restoring and displaying all the big iron there.

>I will live to see modern day technology become as old as the stuff ITT is to me now
>I've already lived long enough for phones to become more powerful than laptops were when I was first old enough to use computers

>implying this is a problem
>not relishing the opportunity to obtain the best of the best of today for next to fucking nothing in 10-20 years the same way you can obtain the best of the best of the '90s and '00s for next to nothing now
>with an unlimited supply of free software and support to accompany it thanks to the internet

I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. It just makes me feel old, despite only being 21, that the first computer I ever owned is now $50 on eBay and YouTube videos about it are all 6-8 years old.

>no internet
>no graphical interface
>every task tages ages
you'd be pissed at your job after two days

thats just how tech is at this point, imagine being someone who got their start on the school PDP-8

S
E
D E M O N
E
N

you wouldn't have thought of a computer in terms of software and use cases from 40 years into the future

don't know if I'd have as much fun dealing with batch processing and card decks anyway though, development is so piss easy nowadays it's really incredible to imagine how we lived with ourselves before
youtu.be/hxVbRz6udmI

top fukken kek

I really wish I could find a spinning mainframe tape drive just to use it as decor (kinda like how people have antique gas pumps in their mancave). Too bad they're only in museums.

Just buy a reel to reel, looks awesome too

youtube.com/watch?v=EV57WT5SVSg

Sup gramps.
Hows that rocking chair?

Lets see... The altair 8800 was released in 1975, and you were probably around 20 when it came out

2017-(1975-20)=62

ur old faget

bump

DELET THIS

Clive? Aren't you supposed to be dead?

What the fuck are you talking about, Sir Clive Marles Sinclair is doing fine, alive and well.

I used to think this was wrong, that building things smaller would always be more expensive than making things big. It's really clear that with the popularity of high powered cell phones it will just keep getting worse and worse until no one wants to create parts full sized PCs because the components are so radically different from cell phone parts

whatever processing and heat limitations exist in phone-sized devices will be the threshold of modern computing.

>manual tape buttons

What was the point of these? Wouldn't it make more sense to control this in software?

It's still controlled in software for some part, just that making it fully in software would have been counterintuitive, because the point was to keep the price low

youtube.com/watch?v=vVgc8ksstyg

I like the last 10 seconds of the video, so spot on.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Tx6TYnPat8

I suppose you're right, the actuators would have increased the cost.

What doesn't make sense is all the PCs with manual eject floppy buttons well into the Windows era when normies had started using computers, and they kept ejecting without unmounting and wondering why their files got corrupted.

You wouldn't normally eject a floppy when the light was still on and the device was making noises

What you are talking about was usually the deal when USB flash drives first came on the market

>when she's handling the wax cylinder
youtube.com/watch?v=pnsizkVjGm8

kek, poor guy
but that probably wasn't really that rare

bump

>what is voip

BASED AMS1