RIP in peace, MPC-HC

>last updated: 14 November 2015

It is now almost March 2017.

Given that VLC still manages to update itself every few months and mpv does nearly monthly updates at this point, it is safe to say that there is plenty of development happening in other video players while MPC-HC development has effectively stalled.

Goodbye, MPC-HC. You were the bridge we needed to get from VLC to mpv. Thanks for your service.

Now that MPC-HC has died and mpv is the future of video playback, especially when the new AV1 codec comes out later this year to replace x264 and x265, let's look towards the future. Opus is probably going to become the new lossy audio standard so I hope you guys are keeping your mpv updated for those sexy AV1/Opus videos.

Just download the nightlies.

NIGHTLY

give it up guys. it's over.

>MPC-HC nightlies are still more stable than MPV release builds

lmao

tell me, which groundbreaking features mpc-hc should get, to justify it being updated?

It barely has any bugs, it supports all non autistic tier audio and video formats, tell us, what else does it need?

fucking autists

it doesn't even play back youtube videos
it won't get AV1 support
it doesn't even have good rendering built-in

>no youtube-dl support

Nigger, can you not?

Except that's wrong, shit for brains. Kill yourself.

it's right and you know it, troll.

MPC-HC works perfectly and has every feature a non-autist needs.

so why are you even here, non-autist?

>MPC-HC issues: 0
>mpv Issues: 320

top kek

>troll

Confirmed for literal shit for brains.

>he thinks mpc-hc is bug free

The reason it's been dumped is due to all the bugs, user.

you're downloading youtube videos?

>Windows only
>no youtube-dl support

Here is the full list of requirements I have for a video player:

1) Plays videos

MPHC does the trick, then.

>doesnt know it lets you stream from multiple sites

ever heard smplayer?

> it doesn't even play back youtube videos
youtube-dl -q -o - | mpc-hc /play -

Or you didn't know that mpc-hc can play from stdin? mpv youtube playback implementation is also relaying on youtube-dl, if you want to start that talk, so just dont.

But mpc-hc doesn't even have good video support anymore

>perfection doesn't need fiixing

But it does

>mpc-hc
>perfect

It doesn't even have a development team anymore and it doesn't even have modern features.

Ok, let's go through this nonsense again then.

What features do you want to have added to mpc-hc? What is it missing?

I don't want anything for it. mpv has fully replaced it for me on Windows.

It's dead anyway.

1) What are the arguments against VLC ? I know the bugs with mkv files
2) can we have an interface on mpv ?
3) why don't you listen to your music on vlc ?

I like the UI better and it plays all my files.

VLC is cool to keep around for weirdo formats, quick conversion and command line support though. It's not like I can't afford the disk space to keep both at hand.

Less efficient, buggy codecs, because it's a cross platform application. And if you have an Nvidia gpu, vlc will render things in the limited color space unless you fiddle with your driver settings, which looks significantly worse.

I wanted to make a joke about watching all my animes with VHS shaders and yellow prosubs a few weeks ago, but the only good VHS shaders I could find were GLSL. So GLSL shader support, I guess.

I never saw deinterlacing done right in vlc

why is Sup Forums so obsessed with this type of stuff, vlc literally works perfectly with everything.

Not using MPC-HC for videos and AIMP for music is the recipe for being an autist edgelord.

Except for it being incredibly resource intensive, and having a huge bug wrt limited vs full color space. Compare vlc on the right to wmp on the left.

it's not meaningfully different

Why do you need this? Are you retarded? You probably want a GUI for youtube dl too.

>What are the arguments against VLC ?
>I know the bugs with mkv files
Isn't that enough?

>why don't you listen to your music on vlc ?
Because foobar2000 exist.

>entire color spectrum is watered down and off
>earth is far whiter
>blacks are literally grey
>not meaningfully different

oh ok
how does this compare to mpv with default settings?

>inb4 it just a split second you won't notice the difference

Sorry that you have a shitty monitor. Maybe you have it set to limited lol. Pic related is what you are doing to your video content.

Look at the quality of the black levels, there is a huge difference.

But the entire video will appear more washed out as a result. It's literally a bug.

you're right, I see it. Why is VLC like that? And how does mpv compare?

how pathetic do you have to be to shill mpv, it's fucking free software

I use mpc and I'm wondering what do the nightlies add that I should use it?

vlc can be like that depending on the video settings you have set by your gpu driver. mpc ignores this setting and always uses full range by default, vlc has no setting to change it and obeys what the graphics driver wants.

I assume that the mpv devs are intelligent and ignore the gpu driver setting.

Also check this setting, if you have it set to limited (THE DEFAULT!!!) then this limited color space bullshit is being applied to your entire display.

wow.

see Also it uses worse codecs than mpv or mpc, using too many resources to do the same thing. Ever seen that thing where vlc drops a b/p frame, and the whole video is grey with weird artifacting around edges for a while? Doesn't happen with mpc or mpv.

No, I've never seen it. Because I'm not fucking poor.

Please dont recommend mpv to normies, they'll be asking how to do simple shit because they dont know how to use the config file.

>yeah I'll use buggy software because I have a powurful pc

is there something like mpv but without the autism?

You mean for brainlets, yea? MPC-HC + madVR

I'm sorry you have to use the command line to simply watch a video poorfag. Don't take it out on me honey.

I'm talking about mpc you retard. And mpv works fine ootb anyway, no config required. No cli either.

Is madVR actually useful if I'm only watching things at native res anyway? Most of it's fancy algorithms seem to be up/down scaling stuff, if I always get 1920x1080 files should I bother?

what player can only play videos through the command line? I know its not mpv because you can just click the file if you want.

vlc needs to keep updating itself because it's a buggy pos, that massively oversteps in terms of what features are actually important to a video player, and ignores real video playback issues

But then you wouldn't have your autistic little tuning line arguments or whatever you poor faggots have to use to get your chinese loli to work as well as VLC on an employed person's PC.

You're using Windows, so I guess it really doesn't matter what you do with your computer.

thats what the config file is for dumbass. why do you talk about stuff you have know idea about?

Because he wants to feel superior to other people online, but doesn't actually know wtf he is talking about.

Like 90% of posts in Sup Forums.

MPC-HC is the best video player, hands down. NO competition.

Because retards like you respond to it.

If you just wanna count (you)'s, just go back to fucking reddit.

It's way easier to get them here, as I'm sure you can see. Hell, you're about to give me yet another right now.

>Needing a config file to play a video in 2k+17

What a fucking faggot

did you change any settings or just using default? like changing output to opengl

That isn't my picture, I just found it on google images.

Are you talking about changing settings in vlc? The output shouldn't matter, as the problem is in the codec layer.

@59158169
@59158235
What a (You) slut
I bet you'd suck cock for (You)s

does this look different to you?

No that looks identical. But do you have a dedicated gpu? The vlc color space problems only show up when shitty graphics drivers get involved.

But it's still generally worse than mpc for other reasons (resource intensive codecs, dropping frames way more often as a result).

>I bet you'd suck cocks to know how to reply and greentext

@59158351
look at you, you're just itching for that fat juicy (You)

I have a 1060, but don't have any problems with vlc in my notebook which doesn't have a dedicated GPU and is pretty shitty. I used MPC exclusively in the past but once I learned that changing vlc output to opengl made they exactly the same I started using vlc because I like the UI better, never had any problems since I switched.

Reminder MPC-HC was the FIRST to HDR.

If you are that blind, subtitle renderer look shit on the right.

that's just because I use sharpen video filter on vlc, looks normal when I just use opengl as output and nothing else

you used a sharpen filter on vlc but not mpc for your comparison?

it was just about the colors, I dont use MPC anymore so why bother setting it up?

>sharpen video filter
Even with that filter it still not as good as MPC-HC.

they look exactly the same if I set it up with just opengl output, but I like sharper images and use some filters to do that in vlc

Holly shit. This thread again. Stop pls

Believe it or not, perpetual development is not a desirable trait for a program.

>technology never improves

WHAT ARE THE BEST SETTINGS TO USE FOR MADVR

>open MPC-HC
>watch a .mkv I torrented yesterday
>still works

You're too used to software needing updates once a week. It used to be normal for updates to come out once every 5 fucking years, and you didnt really even need it half the time.

As someone who wants a no-nonsense, easy to configure video player, mpv is everything I want.

Why would I be interested in switching to MPC-HC? Somebody please give me a list of reasons. If mpv works perfectly for me, will MPC-HC give me anything more?

Codecs are independent of media player. If on some platform they aren't, they should be.

No, there is no reason to switch. If you are happy with mpv, keep using it.

>mpv
>easy to configure

I am happy with mpv, but I was wondering if MPC-HC has any features that mpv doesn't have.

In my opinion, it's easier to open my config file and just add another line than to search through a lot of menus and screens to find a particular checkbox

>its hard for me, it must be hard for everyone else.

Then you update it for the new technology. Updating isn't bad, but a lot of programs (FOSS ones especially) like to issue updates just for the sake of updating, which a lot of times means bugs being introduced because nobody bothered to QC it. Why do you think server-oriented distros always have slow release channels?

Having to read through a 200 page manual just to figure out how to change your upscaling settings, then having to manually add that to a config file is not easy to configure.
And I say this as someone who prefers compiling from source just to enable as many features as possible.

>ctrl+f
>upscale
saved you a bunch of pages of reading

It is easy