/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread:
I have no idea what I'm doing edition

I'll start:

I'm in the neofetch config file, but I'm not sure what I'd need to change to have the image I specify in the path actually show up when I call neofetch
# Thumbnail directory
#
//I'm guessing I should probably change something in here:
Default: '/Users/foobar/Desktop/test.png'
Values: 'dir'
thumbnail_dir="${XDG_CACHE_HOME:-${HOME}/.cache}/thumbnails/neofetch"

# Crop mode
#
# Default: 'normal'
# Values: 'normal', 'fit', 'fill'
# Flag: --crop_mode
#
# See this wiki page to learn about the fit and fill options.
# github.com/dylanaraps/neofetch/wiki/What-is-Waifu-Crop?
crop_mode="normal"

Other urls found in this thread:

howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/
newegg.com/Server-Motherboards/SubCategory/ID-302
hrblock.com/taxes/doing_my_taxes/products/popup/pom_terms.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain
hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/96166-asus-z170-pro-gamingaura/?page=5
userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-Z170-PRO-GAMING-AURA/40284
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/000022677.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I can only make new threads on chrome

Why was the realization that she's stupid the thing that put her over the edge? Why do stupid people have such a hard time accepting it?

I found some old Windows Mobile PocketPCs. Any radicool hacking tools I can put on it, or am I 15 years too late?

Probably something relating to the Dunning-Kruger effect. She realized she's stupid so her whole world view shattered.

Stupid question
I got a 980ti and a 780.
Is there anything I can do with the 780 in my computer other than use it as a physx card?

Where can I get a cheap copy of Windows that's not a diceroll as to whether it's legit or not?

Alternatively where can I get a copy of Windows on the cheap that IS a diceroll for legit-ness?

best free PDF editor?

If you have any friends who are in school. You can ask if they can hook you up with a student copy.
I think depending on the school. You might get a gimped school version or you might get a full version.

Something to do with blood sugar levels, happens to me too when I have sugar in my breakfast, either keep fasting until you starve and absolutely need to eat or avoid all carbs.

what is the difference between having optional parameters for a class in python and having multiple constructors in another language?

howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

I put a new HDD in my desktop today but windows is not letting me access it.

I find it in the BIOS and if I run disk management it appears there, albeit in 3 partitions.

My questions are:
1) How do I un-partition it.I formatted them all earlier but they never re-combined.
2) How do I make windows let me access/store stuff on it.

Is it a good idea to use a password manager to encrypt my external hard drives if the external hard drive is going to contain a backup of my password database?

What error message are you getting? What OS was it from? What OS is it going into? What format is the hard drive? Encrypted?

I figured it partly out. They were just all unallocated in disk manager.
But how do I combine the partitions? Deleting them just makes them go back to unallocated.

What websites can I download individual FLACs from... for free...

Optional parameters are easier to maintain, result in smaller binaries.

Imagine if you had a class with 3 parameters that you wanted to be able to mix and match. With multiple constructors, you would need 6 overloads, compared to one with optional params

Is it possible to be a really shitty programmer and still work in Academia and research? I fell for the degree meme after dropping math because I couldn't stomache Analysis

delete them and make a partition...

I got my Win10Pro from Craigslist. It was $60.
>Yes, it's an OEM copy
>Not gimped, it's complete.

Stupid question: if we can put 2+ video cards in CFX/SLI or HDD/SDD in RAID 0 why can't we do the same with CPUs for our personal computer?

Yes, look at most of the server motherboards
newegg.com/Server-Motherboards/SubCategory/ID-302

But does it really show any performance improvements in gaming for example? If I have two identical quad-core CPUs would the IPC also double?

How do I install data analysis for Excel Online? Is that even possible?

All the videos and stuff I see have you click file then options, but Excel Online doesn't have an options button in the file menu.

>If I have two identical quad-core CPUs would the IPC also double?
you should look up what IPC means

I inherited a rack mounted server in a colocation facility nearby after my boss passed away recently. I've been using it for testing and learning but he only had 4x 250GB hard drives in it configured with raid 10 so I'm quickly running out of space. Is there an easy way to replace all of the drives with 1TB drives without having to reinstall everything? Someone told me that if I just start pulling drives one by one and replacing them with larger ones that the RAID controller would automatically rebuild the array and when all 4 drives were replace it would allow me to expand the guest OS up to the new space. Is this true? It's running VMware esxi with 2 virtual machines.

Does sharing a link to a particular dropbox folder shield the rest of your stuff in your dropbox account?

Is there anyway for people to brute force their way into other parts of your dropbox directory if you give them a link to a folder?

Can anyone recommend a good cheap socket 1366 motherboard that can take DDR3 ECC ram? I have a 1366 xeon processor and a shit ton of DDR3 ECC lying around and I'd like to use it to put together a home server for experimenting and testing.

My brand new thumb drive claims that it was created on December 31st, 1969.
All files are accessible, and I can read/write to it.
Should I reformat it, or is this not corruption?

>reformat
>date is still retarded
>everything else is fine
Well ok then.

just a zero timestamp, which is typically 1/1/1970, but yours is probably adjusted for a negative timezone, making it a day earlier
it's likely not corruption, but could be

Interesting, thanks user. Seems to be fine.

So today I turned on my PC for a quick game of Overwatch, and everything seemed to be running abit slow. Didn't think too much of it, until Overwatch wouldn't open and then when it finally did several minutes later, black screen and I can't close it. Tried to open Speccy, won't show me any hardware specs. No games will open, can't run Heaven Benchmark, and most programs become unresponsive. What the fuck is goin on?? Everything was running fine yesterday but today it's running like a 10 year old laptop

Is task manager openable, just to see if something is suddenly kicking CPU usage to 100%?

I had a virus scanner running which bumped it to 100 briefly, and shot my CPU up to 52c but closing it's dropped to 7% or so

like um.... google....

1. Will my Asus Z170 Pro Gaming/Aura mobo boot from an NVMe M.2-PCIe 3.0 SSD?

2. Is it really that likely that I'll have to clock my 3000MHz DDR4 down to auto/2133MHz for it to play nice with NVMe, as I've read is sometimes the case?

3. If booting from an NVMe drive isn't possible, are AHCI M.2-PCIe or AHCI M.2-SATA cards worth the expense, or should I

4. Oh, and Windows 10 does have decent native NVMe drivers now, right?

5. Lastly, is migrating my Win10 install from HDD to SDD just a simple matter of creating a partition table on the SDD and cloning the partition over from the HDD?

Sorry for the fuckload of questions.

*3. If booting from an NVMe drive isn't possible, are AHCI M.2-PCIe or AHCI M.2-SATA cards worth the expense, or should I just get a 1.8"/2.5" AHCI SATA SSD?

There's a streaming service called Filmstruck that I subscribe to. There's a particularly rare movie they have in a quality that I can't find on KG or PTP. No physical copies either, so that's out of the question.

My question is, how do I download encrypted video streams?

I should add that NVMe is not referenced anywhere in the manual.

How do you hide your powerlevel at Uni Sup Forums?

I had my second day of Comp Sci today and we had a lecture about the binary system, prof was talking about Kilobytes, saying they're really confusing and how they're 1024 bytes but people use it as 1000 bytes... I put my hand up and asked where ibibytes fits into this, he asked what they were and I explained that my understanding was that Kilobytes==1000bytes and Kibi==1024 and he shot me a filthy look.
I tried to explain to him after the lecture and he just said "Thanks" in a standoffish manor and left

I know should've shut up and I will in the future, I was thinking of completely hiding my power level, wiping Gentoo from my Thinkpad and installing Win 7 but I don't want to undersell myself.

How do you handle yourself at Uni?

>I put my hand up and asked where kibibytes fits into this
>I then proceeded to explain where kibibytes fit into this
Don't waste people's time asking questions you know the answer to. A part of college is learning how to interact with people.

Don't be a pedantic autist.

I haven't built a computer in 10 years, I finally want to treat myself

Wanting to spend ~2k

Anything coming up that's worth waiting for, or can I just go for it? Ryzen is the only thing I know about. Wait for it?

True... Thanks senpai

How hard is it to do your taxes on your own? Stuff like taxpro charge 60, a tax person charges like 200+, and some places do it for free. I'm not sure who to trust and why there's a difference in price between the three

Not hard at all as long as you can keep track of documentation well. From what I hear from family, Turbotax takes ~15 minutes once you load everything in, and it will tell you when you fucked up. Going through someone like a financial consultant or H&R Block will mean you have to fill out a large stack of physical paper to check off what you DON'T have - every time you file. At least, that's what our guy initially had us do, and it's annoying as fuck + expensive. If you use software, generally all you need to do is put in what you DO have, and update it as you go.

Just use TurboTax

If you have a brokerage account, it costs $50 extra, but is otherwise free

If you have anything more complicated, like weird capital gains or like realestate or something, you should get a tax guy if that's too complicated for you

Should I be concerned? This is a 4 year old laptop and I've never done any cleanup or other maintenance work to it. Just noticed that the fan started spinning loudly while it was idling and decided to download speccy just to see what it was doing. Opened up the lid and looked inside, didnt see any dust but the cooler on top of the processor felt quite warm.

I'm thinking about changing the thermal paste next weekend. Should I do it today instead? Can these temperatures actually damage my computer? Or could this simply be a damaged sensor reporting false data?

I had a problem with the desktop I built, I troubleshot the problems and ended up RMA-ing the PSU and motherboard. The PSU RMA was accepted and the motherboard is pending. Before I sent the motherboard in I tested the machine with a different PSU and produced the same symptoms. However I am concerned what will happen if:
- the motherboard wasn't the problem and what to try next
- the motherboard WAS the problem but other things are wrong too, and if warranty will cover that damage as well
If you feel the urge to ask a question, ask yourself "will this contribute to the lecture, or am I just asking questions to ask questions?" I will say that this translates to the working world as well as you will have times during work meetings where you want to make a comment in a similar vein but really shouldn't. If you do it enough you'll be considered annoying. In Uni its not a huge problem but in the workplace it can be pretty damning if your boss doesn't like you especially over petty shit like that.

What's the best way to go about this?

>Define an algorithm random(int x, int y) such that when run, it will find one pseudorandom integer from 0 to y, based on the value of x chosen. The number generated should always be the same for a given value of x, and the algorithm should generate a unique integer for each value where 0

What's the difference between all the fancy college courses and degrees? I thought computers were pretty much only separated into two categories - software and hardware. When I looked at all the available degrees and majors and shit none of it made sense.

Just changed my thermal paste for the first time ever (4 years). Temps are down from 80c - 90c to 60c - 70c. normal?

How do I install PIL or Pillow in Python 3 on Windows with MobaXTerm?

I already tried the python3 -m pip install Pillow workaround as well as just python3 -m pip install PIL and I get an error message saying /bin/python3: No module named pip.

Am I just entering the commands wrong or is there something more I have to do to install these libraries on Windows with MobaXTerm?

Yep. You could get the temps even lower by getting a beefier cooler or making your fans spin faster, but that's pretty much pointless since those are normal operating temperatures.

random(int x, int y){
return x%y;
}

Is there any point using Opus at bitrates of 128kbps and above? I've heard several people say that Opus only pulls ahead of Vorbis and AAC when at bitrates below 128k, otherwise it's basically equal to them.

taking the sim card out a broken iphone is effectively the same as a reformat right? like i can just take that out and drop it off in the recycle bin and not worry about stolen data or anything. its pretty much wipe clean otherwise

tut tut tyrone

>niggers recycling
pls ive been putting this off forever and now its broken to the point that the screen doesnt work

To answer your dumb question, no. But nobody is going to read your data unless they have an electron microscope and a lot of time on their hands. Although actually I believe the latest iPhones automatically encrypt everything so even with an electron microscope, nobody is going to be reading your data.

Can you get traced through a phone's mobile data

huh okay. thanks

Welp. My anti virus has expired now. What's a good free, or not so free, anti virus to use?

I was using Bullguard for years when parents got is as a family thing and now the sub is over.

I've tried four sticks, and none of them work. My new build won't have an optical drive, so an ISO is out of the question.

What the fuck Microsoft?

But that's not really random...

How come when I get a cup of coffee at a coffee shop it tastes different from what I make at home? (Even if I use the same beans they do.)

Download iso and use rufus to convert that iso into a bootable usb drive.

There might be some differences in water temperature and hardness which affect the taste. Also could be that their coffee maker is not as clean as yours (or vice versa) or their coffee has been standing still in the pot for too long.

>Download iso and use rufus to convert that iso into a bootable usb drive.

wait does that actually work?

the fuck

>Should I be concerned?
>cpu is almost boiling

i dunno user what do you think

>I'm thinking about changing the thermal paste next weekend. Should I do it today instead?
You should've cleaned it at least annually. But, doing it now is the second-best time.

OEM TIM is usually only good for 3-5 years, so you should replace that as well.

>Can these temperatures actually damage my computer?
Yes

>Or could this simply be a damaged sensor reporting false data?
Is the underside really fucking hot? Sure sounds like it.

as long as you bios support the option to boot from usb then you can

Is it better to have the psu at the top or bottom of the case, or does it matter?

does not matter

If you make under ~45k, go to the IRS website and you'll see a bunch of free offers for W2/1099 processing.

If you're not playing in the stock market, you didn't win a bunch of shit through gambling, or you didn't inherit anything during the 2016 tax season, it is extremely simple to do it yourself.

And, protip: People at H&R block/etc. are temps who are hired for the season. They don't know more than you do, other than a brief introductory lesson they get. People with real money have real accountants deal with their taxes.

Is haveibeenpwned accurate or a meme? It told me I've been "pwned" in two Vidya related websites I've never heard of

>>And, protip: People at H&R block/etc. are temps who are hired for the season. They don't know more than you do,

Isn't the benefit of using a firm like this that if there's a problem, they can come back and help you deal with it? Like if you get audited or something.

hrblock.com/taxes/doing_my_taxes/products/popup/pom_terms.html

>If you're audited, we can send an employee to help you, but we won't send an attorney.

>If we fuck things up, we will give you up to $5500

I would say no. I don't value that very highly.

i download my music from youtube, the problem is that the volume of all tracks isn't at the same level

any way to fix? will it fuck up the ""quality""?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReplayGain

>tfw a macfag is selling a Macbook Pro Early 2008 17" with a WUXGA screen
>tfw is a auction and the last price was set in 96 usd
>it needs a new keyboard because it suffered a spill of nectar
>also needs a new battery
>the machine works aside of the keyboard, but the seller says that the trackpad it's jerky, moves by itself, requiring cleaning too
I'm not sure if I should make a bid in this machine. Even old macbooks like this are sold in big prices in Chile (I saw a similar model with less screen resolution selling for 385 usd dollars) and I'm thinking in cleaning a la 8-bit guy, put a new keyboard on it and make some nice profit on macfag's gullibility. But I also suspect that probably the motherboard is failing, or at least the trackpad micro controller is fucked.
Should I try to outbid the guy who wants this machine and try to play happy merchant with it?

To anyone who cares: through a lot of googling I've worked out that yes the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura does support NVMe1.1 over M-key M.2Gen3-PCIe3.0x4

hexus.net/tech/reviews/mainboard/96166-asus-z170-pro-gamingaura/?page=5
userbenchmark.com/System/Asus-Z170-PRO-GAMING-AURA/40284
intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/consumer-ssds/000022677.html

It feels to me that we hit a plateau when it comes to CPU single-thread performance since about sandy vagina.
Is it true or am I crazy?

Can I use DDR3 Ram on DDR4 motherboard? Is it possible? I just want to use my old DDR3 RAM instead of buying DDR4

This. Asking a question about it when you know he's made a mistake is a douchey move and nothing good can come out of it. Either he will flat out deny that he's wrong and spread more misinformation, or he'll say that you're right and look like a fool in front of everyone (and you'll look like a smartass, no less).

Have some decency and politely call him out in private later, and hope that he still cares enough to correct himself in future lectures. That's all you can do, don't go full autismo.

AMD doesn't have the money to innovate and their single thread is always shit. Intel doesn't need to do anything beyond "muh 15%"
So yeah you're right. No point upgrading.

>t. inteldrone on suicide watch

What program do you use to listen to music? I know google exists, I just want more opinions.

Why does K9 mail need me to create an acc

No. They work differently. If you bothered to look, you'd also see they are physically keyed differently and will not fit.

pls respond

How does this guy take over my browser with his add-on?

>go to add on manager
>disable updates for this
>read manual on add on website
>no mention of an rss feed or something that would let him do this, or way to disable this
>no preferences or settings whatsoever

>look at link in address URL
>not a website, but somehow sending this to me via the add on

can anyone throw ideas at me? should I just get rid of this?

>can anyone throw ideas at me

Probably:
>There is an external feed URL which is checked on plugin startup
>If it doesn't match, show new "what's new" page

or

>The "internal" window is actually an iframe and references the external internet

I have no plugin dev experience though.

>should I just get rid of this?

If you can't disable networking for an individual plugin, I guess. I don't think it's A Big Dealâ„¢ though.

Gonna have to be a bit more specific. Platform? OS?

Thanks for the info. In practice, these do roughly the same thing for a programmer, right? At least in terms of function. I'm a beginner and I'm still struggling to wrap my head around the basics.

There are better music programs than google.

Is this java? Lmao I was just looking at this for my home work. Here's what I did:

Random rand = new Random();

int y = //your chosen number

int randomNumberInterval = rand.nextInt(y);

This will generate a random number between 0 to your chosen y.

Literally someone is told to do it at least twice a day on this thread

Is there a desktop enviroment/window manager that allows me to remove the task bar?
I don't mean just remove. I mean being able to do the same stuff (keeping track of what windows you have open, some kind of notification system +, etc, and the same time, having more free space because the ugly task bar isn't there to waste space

>wait does that actually work?
Yes