/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', and ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

Assemble your parts list; built-in price comparisons by vendor and a compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

Gaming builds based monitor resolution and refresh rate
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>Note: Win7 and 8.1 cannot be installed on a 200 series chipset

Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/
>Subsitute a G4560 with 2400MHz RAM for any Pentium or i3; similar performance, up to 50% cost reduction.
>Consider using an i5 7500 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build without a Z mobo
>Consider a B250 or mobo for any Pentium or i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Very Good" tier build
>The only worthwhile gfx cards are the GTX1050, RX470, RX480, GTX1060 6GB for 1080p

General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA

Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC
>Outdated chipset information

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Old Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

skycomp.com.au/asus-dual-gtx1070-o8g-geforce-gtx1070-gddr5-8gb-7680x4320-1x-dvi-2x-hdmi-2x-dp.html
arc.com.au/product/59359
pcpartpicker.com/list/3JjXZ8
pcpartpicker.com/list/ckzMD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/TMd6LD
pcpartpicker.com/list/Kw2RRG
pcpartpicker.com/list/pvr7d6
pcpartpicker.com/list/qmXHQV
pcpartpicker.com/list/JztJPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/RLM8m8
pcpartpicker.com/list/NdKZHN
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Whoever makes the OPs isn't very creative.

skycomp.com.au/asus-dual-gtx1070-o8g-geforce-gtx1070-gddr5-8gb-7680x4320-1x-dvi-2x-hdmi-2x-dp.html

arc.com.au/product/59359

can't decide between these two

What's the difference between an EVGA and a Gigabyte 1070? I can't decide between the two?

Does it even matter and am I an indecisive little cunt?

It's not a shitposting general. Honestly I don't give a fuck as long as the OP is informative

gigabytes won't explode

how big of a difference visually is a 60hz monitor with freesync/gsync vs a 144hz monitor?

pcpartpicker.com/list/3JjXZ8

Thoughts on this list? Someone in last thread was saying the i5-7500 was shit so I don't know if I should change it.

get the gigabyte one, bigger heatsink, more fans, shit won't have to turn up.

gigabyte has a much larger selection of coolers for the 1070, single, double, triple fan, and more, other than software and cooler design, they are still the same 1070.

and this

You don't have to worry about about screen tearing, framebuffer lag, or oscillation between 30FPS and 60FPS with vsync on. The good thing about adaptive sync on a high Hz monitor is that it provides some type of low framerate compensation like frame doubling with a temporal shift so the game always appears to run smoothly.

If you're a pro gaymer you'll gain a benefit, sort of. If you're not one there is very little point of owning one.

Checked on HP's site and some local refurbished retailers. They only carry Haswell Pavilions, at roughly around 1.5 times more than I'd spend purchasing Kaby lake parts by myself.
Like I said, senpai, it's great advice that you're giving us but sadly I can't follow it because lol south america.

>cpu
the 7500 is not shit, it just does not have anything over the 6500 other than a boost on the speed.
>case
get the p400s, it's worth the extra cash, or get the enthoo pro m,

other than that, it looks fine, maybe you should get an aftermarket cooler, but it does not matter too much

It's fine. Be aware that you're getting a somewhat old socket and you could save $75 and get a better socket by waiting a few months for Ryzen, or you could pay the same amount and get almost i7 6700 performance

do greater than 1 TB hard drives not come in 7200rpms? Here they are all grayed out above 1TB

Other manufacturers do 7200 RPM at higher capacities, I think you have to go enterprise if you want to go beyond 7200.

I bought kaby lake i5 7600k and a z270 board (maximus ix hero) and then find out later they're trying to fucker us out of win7 support. I'm finding things that say it'll work outside of the onboard gfx, which is fine with my gtx 1070, but does anyone have any experience with this? My windows is yarr harr'd btw, the daz loader and oem vendor windows way.

>does not have anything over the 6500 other than a boost on the speed
How large is that? Because I have heard that if you are making a new machine Kaby Lake is worth it, but not worth if you are upgrading from Skylake.
> waiting a few months for Ryzen
Was planning on doing that anyways and seeing how Ryzen 5 preforms before buying my i5. What do you mean by old socket though?

LGA 1151 is almost two years old by now, and Kaby Lake amounts to little more than a Skylake refresh. This is a Tock, you should either wait for intel's new Tick, or go straight for the Ryzens.

the speed boost from 6500 to 7500 is 200 mhz which honestly, I don't know how significant that is

>Coffee Lake is yet another refresh
fuck it go full Ryzen

Well, I will wait until Ryzen 5's benchmarks come out and then decide whether or not to go AMD on this one (will most likely go Ryzen though).

I think that's pretty sane. I'll do the same, even if it's not that much better than whatever Intel's offering. I'd much rather jew me out of one fps or two if it means having actual competition on the CPU market again.

Getting a Ryzen would also tickle my autismo since I'm getting an AMD graphics card so having a matching AMD brand processor would be nice.

wikipedia says kabylake supports ddr4 2400 but I thought it was 2133 and 2400 was an overclock?

tread carefully, as jewish tricks lie ahead, seeking to convince you otherwise

It's ok, Intel shills are more or less easy to detect these days, especially since they have gotten more and more desperate/obvious.

Was there ever substantial evidence that supported the claim that AMD cpus worked better with AMD GPUs, and Nvidia with Intel? I remember that being said a lot back in the Athlon days.

Not really, it was just AMD/Intel fanboys as always. Even CrossFire shit is dubious at best. A GTX 1060 will run just as well as a RX 480 on an intel CPU (and vice versa).

Why are GPUs so fucking expensive?

because they make yer vidya luk gud

because nvidia was allowed to go full jew and charge well over 500 dollars for a consumer gpu.

pcpartpicker.com/list/ckzMD8

About to pull the trigger on the i7 since it's $310 on ebay right now. Anything I should change other than waiting for Ryzen?

pcpartpicker.com/list/TMd6LD
Thoughts please

cooler, case, psu, gpu, all meh, but it works. and holy house fire batman, two days left until endless reviews, test and builds and you are giving up now?

looks good, just know that the rgb on the case is a breather and I don't know if it can be changed.

I was considering the enthoo too

Nobody has installed Windows 7 on a Kaby Lake z270 build?

honestly I kind of regret not going with the enthoo pro m, as I did not know the case existed, I like my open cases.

I got the free nzxt case with a newegg order, I see it has usb3 ports so I'm thinking it's got all I need. I start my build and find out it has no place for an optical drive.

Life has no place for an optical drive.

What are you, a bunch of fucking Microsoft employees? Did you dildos all buy windows 10? Why doesn't a system builders' general have any experience yarr harring win7 into the latest hardware?
Bunch a fuckin poofters I say.

hey so I built this shit some years ago but I feel its time for an upgrade, I do multimedia crap and vidya. fallout 4 barely runs on low settings

I have a good budget so that shouldn't be a problem, hopefully

You dont need an optical drive. Build for the future. Not the p

>tfw I'm going to have to update my mobo with an X99 BIOS update via USB before installing a pirated copy of Win7 via USB

H-hope I don't fuck up!

Which is better, GTX 1060 or RX 480?

>rgb on the case is a breather and I don't know if it can be changed

no, wait, I figured it out, you just have to hold to button down for a sec to change modes

It's for my dad. The guy has put thousands of hours into Spore, autistically eradicating the grox from every single planet in the galaxy, just to start a new game when he finishes. He's not ready for the future, which is why I left some plugs accessible so he can leave the optical drive hanging out the open side panel when he needs it.

well in that case, sell it and get another case with a optical drive bay.

Yeah you're right. Don't want to give him a shitty birthday present.

RX480 is both better and significantly cheaper. You can get the 8GB models for $160-$210 if you look for sales. Plus Doom comes with from Newegg if that interests you.

If you Really want to crunch those numbers for prices use Jet, but be wary of their shipping, my mobo I ordered from looked liked they fucked up the box. Thankfully the Motherboard worked perfectly fine.

The WD Blacks have 7200 RPM beyond 1TB, the WD blues only go up to 1TB.

Are you going to OC like crazy ? No ? OF cource not, you have ordinary memory and not aftermarket cooler. It's cool tho because OC have little benefits considering the cost. then...

1 - Go for B350 mobo, cheapest is 90$, more than enough.
2 - Ditch Transcend SSD, get NVMe SSD instead. 960 EVO is the bomb. No need to stick to SATA speeds nowadays.
3 - NZXT S340 (White) is way nicer case, imo.
4 - You cound get slightly cheaper 1070 (G1 Gaming)
5 - Are you going to use that km-mouse combo ? you will want to kill yourself. get a G502.

My humble suggestion: pcpartpicker.com/list/Kw2RRG
Juat change mobo for B350 and ad dkeyboard.

building my first computer this week, comes with 2x8gb crucial sticks, i5 4460, and gigabyte H81M-S2PV.
Is this a good deal/is it worth getting? Thanks

Mid-tier GPU with high end CPU ? you got it wrong men... i7 and Ryzen are only worth it IF you have best GPU (1080) and want to squeeze lat drop of performance out of system.

If you really want to stay with RX480 (wich is cool since it does freesynk) at lesat save money on mobo and cpu.

Also, go for NVMe SSD like EVO 960, not much more expensive but huge difference in perf.

So I finished my PC recently but I'm getting a weird problem where the FPS on my web browser or desktop will drop to like 1 if I don't move the mouse.

But there's no rise in CPU or GPU activity etc. Just idle seems to cut everything down to 1 fps. What does that mean? Is it a vsync problem?

RX 480 was a bit behind 1060 at release but the drivers improves drastically and is now clearly better than 1060.

Old reviews can't be trusted. Go for 480

i think i saw in another thread that you can save money by buying a refurbished AM4 HP Pavilion

something about cutting a hole in the case or something.

you will need a cooler... haggle it for 180$.

is it your internet connection? your description is a big vague.

how good of a budget and what sort of resolution are you looking for? those are the real questions for a gaming rig.

Internet is fine, what is happening is when I sit my mouse still on the desktop, my monitor, which has a frames per second icon, will display my frames per second dropping from 60 down to 1 eventually within about 10 seconds.

It happens on web pages too, making the browser sluggish until I start moving it.

It's really puzzling me out.

I would not normally advise someone buy into older hardware even if it's only as far as haswell, but you are getting it at over $100 off new, go for it i guess.

and this

around 1000 bucks or more if needed, and also not going for 4K resolutions or anything like that, I can stay at 1080p

have you tried to look up the situation to see if anyone else has experienced it too?

I did, this was my last port of call for it. I've googled things like 'FPS drops on desktop' 'FPS drops at browser idle' etc and got a hit for a bitcoin miner trojan, but my system is a fresh OS install and built myself, legit copy of windows, but I still did a scan with MSE, Hitman Pro and Mbytes and nothing.

Another thing was specifically for my browser, Waterfox, relating to hardware accel, toggling it on and off had no effect.

All other hits were just people complaining about their individual games and my games work fine, which is also weird.

From what I can gather these guys don't know anything other than how to spend money. They're litterally the same as Apple dweebs.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pvr7d6

here.

It has randomly resolved itself after 2 restarts.

I want to reproduce it so I can figure out what the hell it was though.

WARNING THAT CASE HAS NO OPTICAL DRIVE MOUNT

nobody uses optical. Get external if you must.

the internals look good but your case is too big. if you're going to go with a micro-ATX motherboard, look into ITX cases. otherwise, all of your parts look very well thought out.

I edited my build a little, how does this look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/qmXHQV

everything looks good bro, and i like the white/black color scheme.

Case was cheap, didh't bother looking at mini cases.
Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window look great tho.

Since Windows 7 support is being dropped by newer CPUs, how long will my current Ivy Bridge i5 system last me? I refuse to use Windows 10.

Should I go Skylake now for some more future proofing?

r8 my build. 24gb of ram needed for meme job. not sure about 480 since the machine isnt meant to be a gaming rig but a workstation, but i also need to hook up a 4k display and three other 1080p displays. reading here that its really loud but assuming i'm not gaming this should really be an issue right? purple case and liquid cooling because i want to dabble in OC and rice my shit up. once i figure that out i'll consider getting a 1080 ti or something comparable.

Thanks. I was originally going to get the Gaming X 1070 but then I saw the QuickSilver OC.

Get NVMe ssd.

unknown brand cooler ? Look cheap to me.

1. do you plan to overclock the CPU? If so, either buy a good heatsink (DH 15 or a Cooler Master 212 EVO) or a 240mm liquid cooler. Those 120mm liquid coolers are garbage.

2. The way that a CPU accesses RAM from the motherboard means you'll want to either fill 2 slots or 4 slots. downgrade to 16 GB

3. as far as storage goes, hopefully you get a 1tb HDD

4. your power supply is overkill for what you're trying to do.

>unknown brand cooler
Are you stupid or just dumb?

yep that's pretty well received. good choice.

What kind of workstation ? For the videocard, if only doing 2D stuff, get RX470 with aftermarket cooler (dual fans, much more quiet)

Get 32gb memory kit instead.

You can link the build instead of posting image.

500w PSU is enough. Seasonic is most reliable brand.

also would like something similar to that processor that would run win 7. currently using an i7 4790 and that's. would just getting last gen's i7 7700k be the easiest answer?

1. yes.
2. yea that's what i figured since i've heard about that before just couldnt remember the exact reason. my current setup has 16gb of ram and i'm hitting close to 95% during peak usage just wanted a nice buffer but not too much. i guess if i'm spending this much on other stuff might as well go for 32gb.
3. i stream everything and what i do doesnt really require that much storage so don't really see the point. also like my computer booting faster and not shitting the bed if it topples over for whatever reason.
4. i guess i could grab a lower wattage psu to buffer paying for another stick of ram.

thanks

What is the best Z270 motherboard for the i7 7700k?

Probably won't do SLI, 2 SSDs and 3 HDDs

What is "best"?
Asus has all the highest records and all the highest prices.

I got the ASUS Z170i Pro Gaming six weeks ago and now I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need this.

Thanks I'll look into it

I'm who just finished a build in that case, lots of sharp metal edges and shitty thumbscrews, just a heads up. It's a kind of shitty case, there's a reason I got it for free.

thoughts on this build?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/JztJPs

buy a maximus

i'm biased buy i have one for my 6700k. awesome BIOS with a shit-ton of tweak room. plus i have no GPU sag and plenty of SATA ports.

i7 4790 and thats okay but i'm trying to upgrade.* although win10 isnt that bad. not a big deal.

ecommerce i'll leave it at that
pcpartpicker.com/list/RLM8m8

whats the best bet for 32 gb of ram? 4 x 8 or 2 x 16
aftermarket fans on the case or on the card? my guess would be the case but idk.

i'm not sure if its this website or this case but i'm not getting any listings for 240mm fans on the part picker. would really prefer to have this case but if its impossible then i would consider something else.

I got a MSI m5.

It's gud. Lots of settings, clean bios menu, tons of rice, support for GPUs so they don't sag as much etc.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NdKZHN

here

May I ask why choose Pentium for cpu and use Sandisk?

the kaby lake pentium g4560 has hyperthreading, pretty much turning it into an i3 that's 400 mhz slower and $60 cheaper. as for sandisk, meh, force of habit.

>spend $1000 on a new gaming PC
>just remembered that there's no fucking PC games worth playing
Did I fall for the PCmasterrace meme?

kk thx a lot my dude

Yes. Remember to act like a dick to anyone who hasn't built a computer and argue over meaningless shit on reddit.

You get your money back by pyrating games.