What Software do You Use for Writing Serious Shit?

Grad student and fellow LiGNUx friend here. What do other Sup Forumsentoomen use for writing footnoted multilingual research papers, thesis drafts and the like? Right now I'm digging Write! for organizational shit and brainstorming, then I transition to LibreOffice to put everything completely together. I kinda miss OmniOutliner from my OS X days, but those are long, long gone. Anyway, how do you get your research done?

Pic related.

Microsoft Word 2010

latex

word
it just werks

emacs (spacemacs with auctex) and zotero bibtex. It's bretty good

Latex is the standard when it comes to writing books and papers. Some people use Troff, but those are silly hipsters. Use Latex.

>literally 2018
>not using LibreOffice
why do you hate yourself?

Sublime Text 3 with all its plug in support

MS Word 2016 with the cloud features disabled.

>Not writing in plain text and adding the markup yourself.
Why do you hate yourself?

>atom
>latex
>loonix

vim + latex plugin + texliveonfly

Install GNU/Hurd

Would it be a bad idea to write it using markdown?

Then you could use something like Jekill to generate a static website out of it.

I'm seriously considering this, because some computer don't have microsoft office, but all of them ship with a browser, be it firefox or internet explorer or safari

WPS Office for Linux.

Latex

definitely latex
it depends on the faculty, i heard many non-STEMs write their shit with word or open office but i cant imagine the pain to format that shit, just because they scared of latex

currently writing my thesis in computer science and the default template is *tex

also bibtex, makes your bibliography much easier

if its just about viewing the document, just export it to pdf like any other scientific paper, every computer should have a viewer installed, or browser capable of viewing

static website is a neat idea but not very standard and probably more complex than just pdf

google docs because im a faggy botnet lover who need to have all his documents synchronized in his phone

latex with biblatex

Write my thesis in Latex. Couldn't been happier with it when I just compiled shit and word users had to deal with images and listings positioning after every single change.

>2017 not using WPS Office for linux
xoxoxoxo

the only acceptable answer is *TeX

Who dis in the picture, she holding a ding-dong? Looks young tho, she on age right ?

10 years old. yup she passes 1880's standards for age of consent you fucking autist.

you use things serious people use

I wrote my Bachelor thesis in LibreOffice. When I started my Master's studies I learned LaTeX so I think I'll use that for the Master thesis.

Fellow social sciences student here. LaTeX is fantastic for works with large bibliographies. Check out Bib also. I would say it takes a week to learn latex ok and about two days for bib. Obviously counting other obligations.

>LiGNUx

You're obviously too stupid to have come up with that on your own.

What is the app in the left side?

Google Docs

Communication today is precise and short because people read on mobile devices. You just need to worry about grammar and coherent sentences to convey your information. Formatting is just a side show.

WPS office is not. Might as well buy Office 2016 student license.

Math grad student here.
If it's not in TeX no one takes it seriously. Get your shit together, OP.

For writing serious stuff
LaTeX

For writing random shit at work
Word

For writing things to myself
Nano

>Paper/Thesis?
Sharelatex

>Anything else?
Word

I fucking hate Latex to the death but it's unavoidable sometimes

>LiGNUx
Linux

Microsoft Office 2016/365

EE here, I wrote my thesis in Libreoffice writer and made some technical drawings in InkScape.

TeXmaker & LaTeX

and EndNote

>research papers, thesis drafts and the like
>serious shit
pick one

Google Docs

Can someone explain what TeX and LaTeX is?
There's so much shit to understand. Do I have to download shit or can I just use a plain text editor?

You need a text editor to write the "code" and a "compiler" to create the visual output (pdf / postscript). There are IDEs that include eveything you need.

haroopad

You might try looking into Pandoc; it can convert markdown to PDF, docx, LaTeX, etc.

>typesetting in 2017
>not using semantic markup languages

Why is academia always 10 years behind?

If your markdown is asciidoc then no. It supports latex filters.

Technical Writer.
I write most of my stuff in LaTeX but any text editor that supports XML will do.

standard UNIX tools. ed(1), troff(1) (groff) and make(1).

Use git(1) for version control or whichever VCS you prefer.

Hey OP, I've been meaning to read the Epic of Gilgamesh. Can you recommend a good translation?

What is that on the left?

MS Paint

Most university force people to use *TEX for thesis writing. That's the only valid answer.

OP here. It's the natural conclusion of GNU + Linux and GNU / Linux. I think Stallman proposed it himself once actually though.

Wrtie! can do that. It's proven useful a few times for one of my professors.

Whoa. Did not know other soc-sci folks would even consider LaTeX. Will give a it a go.

Write!

see above

Every paper is serious shit in grad school.

Stephen Mitchell's is solid. Komunyakaa's is a relatable creative adaptation. Both are as good as it gets for contemporary translations. I still prefer the old shit like Samuel Noah Kramer though. Leaves more room for me to fill in the blanks myself.