What does Sup Forums think about Plex?

What does Sup Forums think about Plex?

Its not perfect, missing some features. But its an easy and somewhat complete solution for streaming media to you and your friends.

its breddy gud :-DDDD

Using a closed source program to manage and stream a shit fucking ton of pirated movies is not a good idea.
That's what I think.

Reddit shills for this crapware 24/7 and I don't understand it.

Emby does everything it can do and is free and open source. You'd be a fool to use anything else.

It's great, I don't see a better alternative.

I setup a NAS at home and I can stream my whole music/movie/etc library anywhere I go where there's wifi or through my phone :D

I use it so I can watch all my chinese cartoons when I'm on business trips, takes minimal maintenance. Really handy desu.

It's decent. Works great for me.
pros:
>Easy
>I can access my library anywhere
>Great in NAS with couchpotato and sickrage (i.e shit appears automatically)
cons:
>Not open source

I have tried other solutions too but for me plex is superior atm

Run it on my raspi. It's a good system for the pi if you've already pre-encoded your footage to work with whatever devices you plan on using it with (ie chromecast / mobile).

Emby is fucking dreadful though.

if this streams then if my upload is shit this is useless?

As someone who's mostly stuck with Kodi, and remembers Plex as a XBMC fork, what does it bring to the table for me?

It's OK, but I switched to Emby.

Go start Baccano. Right now

I'm using it ever since I got a Smart TV. It's more user friendly than Kodi and less a pain in the ass to set up. Works pretty good, though I sometime run into moments where shit won't stop buffering but that's more of an issue with my network than anything.

My smart TV doesn't support it.

Good stuff there, man.

It's awesome. Can stream to pretty much any device I want to over the internet and watch with any device I want, either on my TV with Chromecast, on my computer, on my phone etc.

It has weird quirks sometimes but generally its pretty good

It works well for what it does, and requires very little set up or maintenance. There are plenty of alternatives that offer more features or more customisation, but Plex just werks.

What I like about it:
-Fetches metadata automagically.
-Transcodes automagically.
-Slick interface (important for non-tech people).
-iOS app works well now.
-Supports last.fm (scrobbling).
-Accessible anywhere through a browser.

What I don't like about it:
-It'd be nice to know when it's directly playing and when it's transcoding.
-Doesn't transcode FLAC to ALAC.
-Sometimes screws up metadata for movies/TV shows. Usually it's a simple fix, but there have been two incidents where it's just plain wrong, even after trying to fix.
-Sometimes when streaming a FLAC from a remote server through Chrome, it simply stops in the middle of the song. Have no idea why this happens. Hopefully when Chrome is able to play FLAC natively this won't happen anymore.
-No easy way to import playlists made outside Plex (for example, importing an M3U playlist). Plex supports Python, so I'm sure there's a script for this, but I'd rather have native functionality.
-Windows 10 app is a little janky.

do you know if plex works with taiga? i really dont want to manually update MAL every time i watch an episode.

>-It'd be nice to know when it's directly playing and when it's transcoding.
You can, just log in as the server admin to web view
>-Doesn't transcode FLAC to ALAC.
literally why
>-Sometimes screws up metadata for movies/TV shows. Usually it's a simple fix, but there have been two incidents where it's just plain wrong, even after trying to fix.
yeah this is a bummer
>-No easy way to import playlists made outside Plex (for example, importing an M3U playlist). Plex supports Python, so I'm sure there's a script for this, but I'd rather have native functionality.
yeah, I'd like this too

I switched from MAL to Trakt. It works for both anime and live action.

I use miniDLNA and it jus werks on literally anything that supports DLNA which is virtually everything.

it also isn't some nonfree retarded shit.

So whats the difference between this and Kodi?

Emby doesn't have free ssl to encrypt your steam (plex does).

I really like emby and wanted to use it over plex, but it's slapped together so poorly and the mobile app feels like a shiity web page.

Probably the easiest to setup. Good support from streaming boxes and TV.

Not the most versatile or powerfull. Closed source. Kodi work better for power users.

i just tried it. its alright.

not open source therefore it's shit

Only decent way i've found to stream videos to chromecast. Works bretty good other than the random errors or stopping in the middle of an episode

using phone as a remote works well too

The only decent interface for Emby is Kodi, sadly. Both the native browser app and the Android app are garbage.

I found the Ember for Emby quite good, but nothing beats well setup Kodi with a remote control.

>metadata

This. Sometimes my movies/seasons show a random thumbnail from God knows where (V for vendetta for example). Maybe it's a product of the torrent, idk. I've renamed, troubleshot etc. to no avail.

Complaints:

Recently added/unwatched are sometimes inaccurate/don't update. For example if I've watched 99% of something, it sometimes shows under unwatched.

Also, you can't make private/locked/hidden folders. So if I wanted to have an adult video, it's visible. I.e. parental control sucks.

Lastly, if you don't setup the metadata storage correctly, it will save to C: by default. I have a 128gig SSD for c: so I was out of storage. I think ended up having to create virtual links in DOS.

The Plex FAQ website is fucking amazing though. Good support, easy reading, accurate.

What FF theme is that?

This kind of issues made me switch to Emby.

Emby metadata manager is just so fucking good.

Nequir, why did you delete your screenshot?

You know why

I switched to Emby mostly because I don't have to worry about the botnet features that Plex has, such as the always-online requirement which destroys the capability to run the software on a shit connection.

Also living in a house of 5 people would have required me to create 5 accounts with unique emails using Plex when I could just create local accounts using Emby.

I like it, it's great for local collections and with the webtools addon it can stream pretty much anything from the net

You have that completely backwards

Kodi is the fork.

Fucking awesome desu.

get a raspberry pi, install kodi and install in behind ur TV. If you use Plex your computer has to be powered ON whole the time. If you got a NAS or something to install it on it might be good put its takes alot of CPU so it has to be a good NAS. You dont want that much of a power consumption. good luck sry my bad english

Your English is fine senpai, just use more commas so the reader knows the flow.

Just the Dev Theme.