University

Would going to uni to study Computer Science be a complete waste of time?
To be completely honest I'm not definitely sure if I want to spend four years of my life studying it for a shitty £20k a year job.

Everything I read about it seems to conclude it's a complete meme and only self taught programmers that have successful startups do well.

Is it worth it?

Bump

>20k pounds a year
Jesus, Brexit really fucks you guys huh.

Despite what Sup Forums says the number of skilled CS people actually rises, e.g. every car is now closing towards airplane territory in terms of the code it uses and you really wouldnt want a pajeet to touch either.

Uni is never waste of time if you manage to actually graduate.
Working for Pound Sterling, is something you might want to reconsider.

Not so much brexit, just shitty uk. Everyone earns like half the American worker or worse here. It's diabolical.

I appreciate the demand is rising but it's got to be one of the most saturated degrees and professions on the planet especially in five years time.

Studying law and becoming a solicitor taphat charges £50 an hour is sounding much more lucrative.

Yes and no.

If you want to work for IndustrySoft and work on ProprietaryIndustryProgram 2016, then a CompSci degree helps.

If you want to move to the bay area and work in Solidity making a fuckton of money fast, it's a waste of time.

If you're going to school to meet people and make connections so you can work for IndustrySoft, then you should go.

If you want to work on the cutting edge of software development using languages that are less than 2 years old, a shiny GitHub, a basic amount of personal fitness and posture, and a professional demeanor is enough to land a job. Makes you stand out from the obeast neckbeards that nobody wants to hire unless they absolutely have to.

That's the general picture the current climate seems to be painting.

Skipping the uni meme seems like a massive risk though.

If you goal is to become a sick ass programming that knows the tricks of your favorite programming language then yes it is a waste.

If you actually want to be a computer scientist or a computer engineer that does big data, machine learning, parallel computing, 3D graphics programming or any computerized scientific modeling then you most likely need help to learn these things.

Is the first 2 years too easy for you because you already got the basics down? Great then you could take more classes to unlock the prerequisites sooner or get a part time job.

It is, but so it missing out on an opportunity that could benefit you the rest of your life because you chose to take the 'safe route'.

Just depends on what you really want out of life. Some people just want a calm place where they don't stress too much and maybe corporate is a better fit. Some people go crazy in those environments. Different strokes.

You go to university to learn something, not to get MUH MONEY later

Thanks for the advice guys. Going to need to mull over which route is right for me.

Yeah I'd only go to uni to learn skills that make me employable after graduation. What's your point?

>20k a year

i started on £35k with a BSc + industrial placement

Went medical, working on Degree payed for by Hospital to help manage database. Gunna make bank. Feelsgood.jpeg

I would never hire you as even an entry level developer without a CS degree.

>Would going to uni to study Computer Science be a complete waste of time?
Yes
>Would going to uni be a complete waste of time?
Yes
>Would studying computers be a complete waste of time?
Yes

Just learn a manly skill, become a mechanic, a farmer or a soldier.

You will be much more happy and more desirable to women.

University is a not a trade school. If you don't know why you'd go there (e.g. you'd like some structure or are interested in theory and stuff that you don't already know about), you'd be better off not going. You can always go back when youre a bit older if you don't get cucked into having kids.

>University is a not a trade school
>If you don't know why you'd go there you'd be better off not going
This

University can fuck up your life worse than drugs

And even if you go to university for all the right reasons and you are successful it greatly decreases the chances of happiness

>university
>learn something
everything you'd ever need to learn programming and computer science is available on libgen
that's not a reason to go to uni

I agree. I'm currently in the UK for training, and you guys really got the shaft.

Most of my british coworkers got like 30k+ in student debts while earning under 20k, i dont even know how you cucks can deal with this bullshit.

Amerifag here. Have an associates degree and I can tell you I thank god everyday I didn't go for a bachelors (because at least I paid off the debt). The field I went for died in the same time frame it was projected to be the fastest growing (desktop publishing) so went for Graphic Design degree (which requires computer science). Not only DTP, but Graphic Design is a dead field to. I haven't found one opening in 7yrs. It's all freelance now and very few can make good money off it.

Tech can change faster than you can. Someone can also write a program that makes the job far simpler to do. Design is still crazy hard to do right...but all that has to change is people's perspective. Then pay drops fast.

But at least take comfort in knowing almost 50% of all jobs in the next decade will be gone through automation. So you'll have plenty of company.

People with no degree are way less likely to be hired for good money, even if they are as good.

>50% of all jobs in the next decade will be gone through automation.
THIS

If you want a slice of the automation pie study EE.

yes and no
anyway the experience is more important than any degree for any company, jus get job like a intern, learn all you can abot IT and you gonna get ready in a year

Is there a cutoff age where enrolling in unis not worth it?

I'm 21 and working in construction. Making $27/hr ($2 raise every 6mo or so) but I hate manual labor so my plan is to ditch once I get vested in my union (and ensure my retirement).

With that plan I should be around 25 or 26 years old with a few years of coding experience, would it be better to use my saved cash (have 20k already, by then I should have a lot more) to attend uni and get a CS degree or just go straight looking for employment? I already have an AA from trade school. Maybe some college credits I can use.

I just want a comfy job working from home, I don't need to make 90k a year.

Thanks Sup Forums

No

A lot of decent paying tech jobs, even ones that require zero programming on your part demand a degree on Comp Sci or an "equivalent". Keep in mind that getting a degree in Comp Sci is just the start; you also have to do internships and get experience before you enter the labor force.

>Can I get one of those jobs without a Comp Sci degree?
Yes you can, but it will be harder. Recruiters will give priority to resumes with a Comp Sci degree unless you have experience as a software engineer at a very prestigious organization.

>Will I be making big bucks once I have my Comp Sci degree and get a job?
No, but it will make you a lot more marketable to companies for tech positions and you will have a better starting salary than people who don't have a Comp Sci related degree. Remember that the more experience and skills you attain, the better you can sell yourself to companies.

Conclusion: This degree will make it easier for you to start off in the tech field which has many growth opportunities. A Comp Sci degree guarantees that you know the essential basics to Computer Science, thus making your training in the tech field easier. Also, college is a great opportunity to make connections. Your classmates will also graduate with a Comp Sci degree and work in the tech field, opening more doors for you.

PS

Don't let other 4channers discourage you with le meme degree. Most people here thought a Comp Sci degree would guarantee them a job at Google but the lazy fools didn't realize that social skills, networking and internships are just as essential. So work on those skills while you attain your degree at college and you should have no problem. Also, get involved in extracurricular activities, anything helps, trust me. Unless you are another Wozniak, being smart and knowing Comp Sci is useless without good self esteem, independence and proactiveness, which most 4channers lack.

Oh and remember that when you go to a job interview you are not there to beg for work, you are there to offer your services, skills and knowledge. Took me a while to realize this, but if you look at it in this perspective job interviews will be a lot easier.

Btw I am an engineer and former Oracle employee. Right now I am working at a business intelligence consulting firm.

Thanks man, more to think about.