AMD ready to reveal vega at GDC

>AMD ready to reveal vega at GDC
>nVidia finds out and tries to 1-up them
>AMD don't want a repeat of r9 290x reveal being cucked by more impressive 780Ti
>decide to showcase some generic software tech and give the name of vega (rx vega)
>nVidia already said they would reveal the 1080Ti
>can't turn back now
>nVidia totally fell for the bait

Did AMD just beat nvidia at their own game?

>inb4 vega gets it's actual reveal next week

Other urls found in this thread:

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility
videocardz.com/66515/watch-nvidia-geforce-gtx-gaming-event-here
anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review
anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga
youtube.com/watch?v=BfSi-Z8r12M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yeah look at how the 780ti does against hawaii now
nice going nvidia

amd just looks fucking dumb

they don't have anything worth showing, or at least that's the impression people got from the lackluster presentation

>AMD has such shitty drivers that even though they theoretically have better hardware they won't actually be better until maybe several years down the road when their goofball driver devs have started to figure something out

Proud owner of a 290x space heater reporting in : D

Why is he so likable?
He's just so nice and kind.

>implying enthusiasts care how their card is gonna perform 3 years down the line.
If you don't change your card every year then you're just being retarded for buying that high-end in the first place.

>You will never go the the AMD and get shitfaced with Raj.

Why even live?

He gives off the friendly "best-friends-dad" vibe.
Jhen hsun gives off the "i used to get laid a lot until i got old, now i'm just a douchebag" vibe.

Bending Nvidia over because they wanna play chicken shit games and keep trying to steal AMDs thunder had to bite them in the ass eventually.

How ever you want to spin it, AMD played that fuck Jen Hsen Hwang like a cheap whore.

Where do I watch?

>buy Vega this year.
>In 2021 I can run Doom at 8K 100fps.

It's not like there was no warning that AMD was investing heavily in improving their software and drivers, though.

Because the video evidence is epic enough.

the rumor is that he's not so kind and actively working against AMD to try to sell off the graphics division to intel

hardocp.com/article/2016/05/27/from_ati_to_amd_back_journey_in_futility

>sucking that jew dick this hard

It's largely irrelevant, no enthusiast is going to be happy with a 290X or a 780Ti nowadays anyway, they're way too slow.

AMD has disappointed their fans with this "stunt", 1080 ti will be in the spotlight now regardless, so unless AMD has something REALLY good it's just a double whammy of disappointment with ryzen (not that great in games and general computing compared to an overclocked 7700k) and vega

Who gives a shit?

Nvidia no longer has leverage to steal Vegas thunder when they announce Vega pricing and performance at the event with spicy food and ice cream.

>spicy food and ice cream
so much cringe

Bennett is subhuman.

>buy card for $600 when new
>use it for a year
>sell for $400 and invest another $200 to upgrade
>repeat
in three years you spend $600 and consistently have the fastest card on the market
alternatively:
>buy card for $600 when new
>use it for a year
>new card comes out
>keep using it even though it performs like mid-tier trash
>use it for another year
>now it's being outperformed by mid-tier trash
>use it for a third year
>it can't even maintain 60fps on medium
>sell it for peanuts (sub $100)
in three years you still spend at least $500 but have a constantly deteriorating experience.

Hmm, I wonder what the better option is.

So much...

AMD, Radeon in particular are hillariously bad at presentations.

>Meanwhile, the company has also announced that they have inked a major technology and marketing partnership deal with publisher Bethesda. Publisher deals in one form or another are rather common in this industry – with both good and bad outcomes for all involved – however what makes the AMD deal notable is the scale. In what AMD is calling a “first of its kind” deal, the companies aren’t inking a partnership over just one or two games, but rather they have formed what AMD is presenting as a long term, deep technology partnership, making this partnership much larger than the usual deals.

Please tell me this means AMD is going to fix bethesda's shitty engine for them.

>Wait (tm)

AMDfags are so funny

Not just fix it, optimize it and make it actually function like something not from 2009.

>2009
try 2006

>rumor

Idiots just don't get that he's playing 4D chess with them.

>forgets the initial cost of the upgrade cycle

upgrading every year would cost you $1200 you double nigger

why should anyone trust a fucking thing you say when you can't even do basic math? how do you survive on a day to day basis?

>Hmm, I wonder what the better option is.
you certainly fucking do, you mongoloid

I read that as hardcp.com

>decide to showcase some generic software tech and give the name of vega
With all the "going to buy vega" threads, we played ourselves just as much.

What exactly high end GPU you have that after a year was on par with a mid-range one?

This is only true during the brief period when you've bought a new card but haven't sold the old card yet. Essentially at this time (which is rarely more than a month) you're floating $400. but:

assuming you always sell the card 1 year after buying it the equation is this:
(initial money spent * number of cards) - (money recouped after selling * number of cards)
So bascially equation after sale is:
600*3 - 400*3 = 600

the equation before the final third sale does equal $1200 but nobody doesn't sell their old card unless they're an autistic hardware collector.

link to 1080ti stream?

lmfao whats ur bank account look like?
I bet you have negative money if you think 600-400+200+200+200 = 600.

>980 is amazing when it released
>same as 1060 now

>780 was amazing when it released
>same as 960 now

>680
>680 < 770

etc
it's a common pattern

it's 600-400 + 200 + 200 = 600
in three years you upgrade twice, not 3 times.

Try 2001.

I might be out of the loop when it comes to GPUs but GTX 780 is about the same as a GTX 970.
Also the just from GTX 9XX to GTX10XX is not something you see every generation.

videocardz.com/66515/watch-nvidia-geforce-gtx-gaming-event-here

600-400+600-400+600=1000

you're buying a $600 card each time and getting $400 for the old one

>Hey guys, Remember that thing that we got that almost put our company out of business?
>Let's sell it for the lols

Isn't the 7970 leagues above the GTX 680 too?

GDC is for the industry, not clueless consumer garbage like you. They highlighted technologies and showcased demos to get developers interested in their hardware. They showed off things that make development of bleeding edge games easier, and run better.

This is pretty bullshit. The GPU division of AMD was restructured into RTG for financial reasons, and it was put into motion years ago with Su's plan as CFO.
AMD cannot exist as a company without their GPU IP. It is integral to everything they do. Now more so than ever with large scale enterprise APUs being their next big bread winner.

The forum is a bunch of fucking kids, but in an entirely different context.

>Also the just from GTX 9XX to GTX10XX is not something you see every generation.
it's how it's supposed to be, the stagnation between 680-980 was a fluke

>980 is amazing when it released
>same as 1060 now
Mate what?

>AYYYMDPOOJEETS LITERALLY BTFO

But it was the same thing between the 5XX and 6XX series.
The 580 was about on par with 670, the 670 pulling ahead as of later because nVidia droped support for the older one.
How can all the others generations be a fluke and the one that stands apart the standard?

> GTX 780 is about the same as a GTX 970.
nah, the 970 beats it easily while costing $280 less

its true.
anandtech.com/show/10540/the-geforce-gtx-1060-founders-edition-asus-strix-review

As people tend to own a fair amount of graphics cards in their lifetime it's fair to assess their cost on a per-year basis as you will not just make a single graphics card purchase and never buy one again. so consider the following:

>buy card for $600
>sell card for $400 after a year
you have now spent $200 to use the card for a year
this means the cost of the card is $200 per year

Alternatively:
>buy card for $600
>sell card for $100 after 3 years
you have now spent $500 to use the card for 3 years
this means the cos of the card is $167 per year

Choosing the first option is a little more expensive in the long run but you always have the best card so it's worth it.

nah 970 was more like a 780Ti

gpus are easy as shit to scale in performance because of their inherent parallelism. in a healthy market they should improve at a decent pace

Holy shit do you guys actually believe this?

He gives off a creepy manic manipulative control freak vibe.

>AMD and Bethesda want to get Vulkan in all of Bethesda’s games in order to leverage the many benefits of low-level graphics APIs

In other words
>the people who basically created the underlying framework for Vulkan will be helping them directly to create Vulkan optimized engines

Which sounds pretty awesome. I'm a bit worried attempting to optimize Gambyro might literally kill AMD's software department though.

you missed the sale of the third card though. It's inevitable that you will sell that card, even if you don't bother to upgrade again because you give up gaming. You will always end up selling that card as long as you don't destroy it or get it stolen so you might as well consider it floatable income and factor it into the calculation.

nvm I'm a dumbass there is no way that wasn't sarcasm lol.

>970 beats 780
>posts benchmark that somehow includes none of the GPUs

Damn, old benchmarks of the 480 really didn't look good. Glad it dramatically improvedd.

>tfw using 290

i thought it was still fast

at least its fast enough for me then

Even if I give up on gaming why would I sell the card?
What good will be a desktop that uses some shit APU or some integrated POS?

bruh it wasn't, he genuinely reminds me of my best friend's dad.

Yes a good 7970 is pretty much 90-110% as good as a 970 depending on the game.

I got a non-reference one that was particularly good. The MSI TwinFrozr. It's able to overclock a lot better (925mhz was the stock 7970 speed. MSI TF was 1000 with 1025 boost. I can OC stable to 1325mhz which is +40% over stock)
At stock speeds, I can still run almost every new game maxed at 60fps 1920x1200, not just 1080p.

The 7970 looks worse in benchmarks because the reference cards were way too conservative, and because they were benchmarks on old drivers. It'd be nice to see someone go back with some top SKUs of old cards and do a new roundup on new drivers, but no one will because either they're lazy or OEMs will stop sending them new cards when people just buy old ones instead.

So in other words it's still over twice as powerful as the PS4. Any game that gets 30FPS 1080p on the PS4, I can run 60fps at 1920x1200. But there are some shitty optimized games.

This is a lot of why I'm waiting for Vega. It looks like it'll last a long time just the same.

Uhh Nvidia sucked dick from the 200 series all the way up to the 1000 series.
Sure the 200-600 worked, but they were heavily gimped in compute in order to not cannabalize their workstation card sales, which made them age terribly as games started using compute.
And the 900 series was alright, as good as Maxwell got and they reversed the compute gimping, but still nothing compared to the 1000 series and you still might as well had bought a deeply price-cut Fury X unless you really needed 3 titans for 3x 4K.

Don't listen to his memes. It performs closely to the GTX 1060 today. The RX 480 is also essentially a slightly better R9 290x with major power consumption improvements.

i meant if you decided to never buy a gpu again - for whatever reason - you would still sell it. unless you like just leaving free money lying around in a box. When i said quit gaming i was just looking for a quick example of why you would not need the gpu anymore.

not him but to be fair igpus are actually quite decent for non-gaming and other non-gpu intensive applications. plus your computer will run quieter without a discrete graphics card.

it's usable but enthusiasts want the latest and greatest

Have you ever tried to watch a 4k movie on an igpu?
Let alone stream one to your desktop.

> I need to be spoon fed all information
anandtech.com/show/8568/the-geforce-gtx-970-review-feat-evga

i thought vega was going to be good.

what happened amd shills?

How many people do you think are upgrading from a 290 to 980 or 970 to 1080 to go from 60fps to 100fps when they only have a 60hz monitor?

>enthusiasts
kys

What they showed is good. They just didn't "launch" it like Ryzen.

They still showed a lot of new technology coming in Vega and driver updates to double performance in many scenarios.

Previous demos they showed with Vega couldn't use the new NCU architecture as drivers weren't there. They're getting them there bit by bit and showing how much more performance per CU/Mhz/FLOP and such that you'll get.

It's a fine card, hell even a 7970 is usable, but a 290 is far, far away from providing enthusiast performance.

it's hardly a surprise that AMD is far behind. the 1080 ti announcement is in just a few hours.

But Titans were better tho

this wouldn't happen if you bought amd, because they are all the same card.

kek

just upgraded from a 270
to a 1070
why didnt anyone say anything

the 1070 is a fine card, a big upgrade over 270. even if you're only playing at 1080p 60 Hz you'll be able to play on max settings with a solid frame rate which you can't do with a 270

im upgrading from a 970 to a 1080 so I can play at 4K with decent fps

270x or gtx 270?

270s could hit good frames at high, now im saying high not "make no difference but tank fps by 20 so i can say i run it at full ultra".

t. ex user of 270X Vapor X

Uhh the 290 is just a rebadged 7970.

And a 290X is a rebadged 7970 Ghz edition.

The 1070 isn't bad, just a little overpriced. The Pascals are the first time NVidia has made cards really worth buying since the 8800.

And you had a 270. I didn't have 270 on that list. A 270 isn't the same as a 290X. A 270 is much worse than a good 7970, too.

To clarify, I was talking about the RX290.
Did Nvidia even make a dual gpu GTX 290?

>Uhh the 290 is just a rebadged 7970.
>
>And a 290X is a rebadged 7970 Ghz edition.
This is completely wrong. 280/280X are 7950/7970, 290/290X were new at that time.

>the equation before the final third sale does equal $1200
So the equation only works if you assume you'll always sell the card for $400. The card never breaks, you never stop buying cards, the card never loses value to a competitor, you never die, etc.

No, that's spending $1200.

I was never arguing against buying a new graphics card every year, if that's what you want to do. I was pointing out that you fucking butchered the math on that.

lol it's still only about 70-80fps in bf4 1080p ultra.

Yes but the initial $600 means less and less as the years go on
Also who cares about $400 after you die?
And you don't need to keep buying cards you just need to keep selling them which you always will because what dickhead is gonna keep a care that they no longer use?

>get robbed while trying to re sell
you now have no gaymen machine and it cost you $300
(what kind of tremendous faggot spends $600 on a fucking gpu? even $300 is stupidly expensive.)

but the r9 390 and the rx 480 are just a rebranded 290x.

Not the 480

Oh, I remember this article. They got called out as nvidia shills by AMD and told to buy their own hardware instead of expecting a freebie from AMD. Then they threw their toys out of the pram with that article. Shit was hilarious.

>Isn't the 7970 leagues above the GTX 680 too?

I wouldn't say "leagues"

youtube.com/watch?v=BfSi-Z8r12M

If you bought a 680 you can still get good performance, too bad the 2GB VRAM limits it otherwise it would hold up much better.

Also the 7970 overclocks really good with later models going over 1300mhz easily, I had a reference 7970 (day 1 before Ghz edition) OC to 1270.

One day two years ago it started showing artifacts and weird behavior as in sometimes textures won't display and I could see the vertex on the 3D models and I had to replace it with a GTX970.

Except the only reason he started attacking AMD with bullshit like that article is because they didn't send him a nano.

At least get your facts straight you piece of shit.

um, 290x came out over 3 years ago, still maintains well above 60fps in damn near all games, with some going to 120/144+

Oh what this on a scale of low medium high ultra extreme nightmare ungodly holy-fuck nigga-you-serus?

the difference between the max and high is almost unperceivable, but reduces framerates by at least 50%....

Get the high end gpu, play games and stop pushing the resolution when you know that is the most demanding thing you are doing.

well, unless you are nvidia, and they just stop all support of your gpu, till halo wars 2 beta happened and you saw the 780 performed nearly on part with a 980 when the drivers were no longer in nvidia's hands.

enthusiasts and retards are not the same.

an enthusiast looks at their options, knows the hardware and picks, regardless of price

a retard looks at the brand and the price and goes for the most expensive one, but somehow these people started to be called enthusiast's.

nvidia's going to need some of amd's cream to help their burn.

My 7970 non-reference card still does 60fps+ on 99% of games at 1920x1200 with settings maxed.

Even in sure that does alright, +/- the 1050Ti, but what the youtuber doesn't mention is that's a reference card and reference cards don't perform nearly as well as most of the other OEMs cards, and some OEMs make really crazy special editions that wildly outperform reference.
I get more than 10% higher on all those results in those same games that I've played. Close to 25% in some cases.

That's on a 6 year old card.

I have a 7970 ghz equivalent, however my cpu held it back bad, really want to know how it performs, but may get a newer card back in the warranty repair.

>I have a 7970 ghz equivalent, however my cpu held it back bad, really want to know how it performs
bottleneck brother!

Well mine was the MSI TF which was the most non-reference design of them all. It was a bit more expensive, too.

I can overclock it to 1325mhz stable, it's that good. But even not overclocked, just on 1000mhz, it runs fantastic (albeit hot). It, like I said, outperforms the 7970 benchmarks in that video by 10-25% on 1000mhz but I could crank it up higher - I just haven't needed to.

I'm using an i5-2500k which does hold it back on some games.

I'm not even going to be upgrading it when I get my Ryzen 5, I don't think. I'll just wait for Vega to launch and drop down in price. Most of all, I want a Nano successor.

phenom 955 with 677 mhz ram, got bottlenecks in the form of ram and old ass cpu single core.

getting ryzen soon though.

probably getting vega because I can get it for effectively half price, unless amd fucks up horribly.