Vulkan was presented as the revolutionary multi-platform...

Vulkan was presented as the revolutionary multi-platform, open source API that would let many 3D based programs (like games) run on Linux natively, if this is true then...
Why is Doom not supported by linux?
Is Doom using something that doesn't allow it to run it natively?

Other urls found in this thread:

glprogramming.com/red/.
khronos.org/3dportability
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you can run doom on linux

I know I've done it

and most linux machines will still use OpenGL

Yeah.

Win32 libraries.

the graphics library isn't the only library they use
even even if every library is available on both platforms, they still need to build a linux executable, test it, and release it

basically, supporting vulkan alone doesn't guarantee it will come out for linux

Vulkan deals with graphics. Turns out video games are more than just graphics.

WIthout using Wine?

Could there be something like a multi-platform library to develop games like Doom?

Yes, that's why I asked the second question.

>Turns out video games are more than just graphics.
Surely, you jest!

You can get it native or you can use DOSBOX which is fast and easy

>Could there be something like a multi-platform library to develop games like Doom?
there are several multiplatform multimedia/interfacing libraries suitable for games
probably the most well known being SDL, which many games use

If these things are possible, why aren't developers using this? Why do they like to stick with windows librarys having other options?

Market-share is not an answer. If I would be able to develop for the 100% (or 99%) of the users instead of the 90% (Or whatever market-share windows has), I would do it.

heh, it's pretty obvious OP's asking about the new doom, but i suppose he didn't say that specifically

He refers to the 2016 game . . .

i imagine support and distribution are the main factors
steam takes care of distribution, which was a bit of a problem before
support is still a big consideration for companies

if they've only worked on one platform before, then their environment is probably not already suited for multiplatform development
while making something work on multiple platforms is pretty easy with the right tools and libraries, moving to those tools and libraries might not be as easy

How many copy would they sell for Linux? 1000 or something?

If they use the right tools, support may not be as bad as you imagine, after all, programs use to be very stable on Linux and when they're not, it's mostly because of the program develop rather than the OS itself.

This makes more sense, we probably need to wait for a new generation of developers with an open mind and a multi-platfor philosophy.

>Market-share is not an aswer.

Short answer is performance. It's harder to get those fps with opengl

This is a joke, right? Have you seen the performance of Vulkan (succesor of openGL) on WIndows? it has much more performance than DirectX12.

Hey Sup Forums,
Let's say i want to learn 3D programming with c++.
I'm sure it's going to be fun and challenging, but i have no idea where to start.
How do people use modern OpenGL?
I want to develop on linux but i would like to make multiplatform software: what implementation do i have to use ?
How can i learn the basic concepts like polygons, pipelines, framebuffers, textures, shaders,...?
Is OpenGL related to gtk, qt or other GUI toolkits?
Where do i find good tutorials?
Any piece of info is fine, thanks

>dem 1500LOC boilerplate to draw a triangle though
Modern API designers have 1 job

>Market-share is not an aswer.

It is though, I know you don't like it, I don't like it, but the world works like that.

The effort it takes to make a proper port is not worth it when 98% of your users use Windows anyway, specially for AAA studios, it means spending money.

ID used to care, now is owned by Jewthesda so forget about seeing another ID Linux game

I mean, even Quake Live DROPPED Linux and OS X support when they made it standalone, that's how little they care.

>Why is Doom not supported by linux?
They haven't ported it yet? It runs in Wine mind you.
Some games like The Talos Principle has beta support for Vulkan and it's quite a bit faster than OpenGL
Vulkan is legit

Are you considering that you could get an extra % of market-share by using multi-platform API's and libraries that are not necessarily harder to use?

I would understand if multi-platform libraries and API's weren't a thing since companies want more market-share, but when things like those are possible, why would they be conformist about a 90% if they could get near the 100%?

Its new, they have to learn to use it.

But in theory, it has way more potential because it is a low-level API like Glide use to be.

And OpenGL is in now way worse than DirectX, they simply work differently, if the game is optimized for DirectX, runs better with DirectX, and the other way around as well.

Learn the mathematical fundamentals of grafixx first, while learning fixed function OpenGL with C.
glprogramming.com/red/.

You think Microsoft doesn't pay companies to make their games with DirectX? Seriously?

And there are games that support Linux, even more than before, but the market share stays the same, I doubt the numbers would change much even if all games were made for Linux, most are complete normalfags, they don't want it.

People like you and me are a minority, most people that use Linux aren't even interested in games.

I wasn't bitching about the performance but about how you need to pretty much write your driver by hand before you can actually start pushing buffers to the GPU.

Once you know the mathematical concepts behind lighting, shadows, different ways of representing geometry, you can move on to writing shaders pretty easily.
It's easier to learn fixed function and move onto the programmable pipeline after.

Don't bring up a comment like that because it looks like fallacy. I never said I didn't think Microsoft pay companies to make their games using Microsoft software, chill.

The market-share stays the same because they are not importing the games that most people play, like League of Legends, World of warcraft or some triple AAA titles. Nobody will switch to linux for some games, they want the popular ones runing it.

The Doom game is a perfect example of this. An oportunity for big popular games to be able to run on Linux if they develop them using the multi-platform tools.

>>if they develop them using the multi-platform tools.

They need enough money for this task.

I thought they were free to use.
If you are referring to the money they would have to pay to the developers to learn to use the multi-platform tools, I already agreed on that before.

>Why is Doom not supported by linux?
You got it in reverse, linux is not supported by Doom (you can still run it under wine since denuvo is removed). Linux gaming is small fish for big companies like Bethesda and Blizzard so they don't bother supporting it. It is still profitable for smaller companies where a total of 10k linux copies is a significant profit though. The main reason Valve support linux is because it's a Joker card for them, they won't want to be tied in the whims of Microsoft or Apple, so if Microsoft mandates Windows Store they have a second plan.

Also, which Linux distro and arch need to be supported? Ubuntu AMD64?

gentoo mips32

Because it costs more to develop, maintain and distribute to both windows and linux while the return is uncertain and the target audience is not on that platofrm and never will be.

Solaris SH-4

>>SH-4

I miss Dreamcast.

From a developers standpoint using vulkan is the cheapest and easiest way to allow linux players to play your game. You use a graphics pipeline that works with both linux, mac and windows - but because your program was never announced as linux-compatible you won't get any backlash on steam if the game runs like shit on linux. You also don't have to put in the manhours to ensure it works on linux - the community will do that as long as the required libraries are available and the pipeline is multi-platform / old (DX9 and lower)

This.

Dunevo

That and Bethesda HATES Linux

Why should anyone love linux?

>he's acting "smug" on a fucking internet forum, of all things
fuck off dude

Why do you say that?

On mac you need to use something called moltenVK.

on recent news:
khronos.org/3dportability
>Due to industry demand, Khronos is initiating the development of a solution to enable 3D applications that are portable across Vulkan, DX12 and Metal

DOOM works on Linux, not since release but it was availlable a few weeks after.
Lots of orther games work on linux too. Look at the steambox games library.

It will just get better in the future because that's the best cross-platform API for consoles, android, the Nintendo Switch, etc.

DOOM is only available in Windows according to Steam. (It only has the windows icon below)

That is literally a switch the distributor has to flip. It just means they're not distributing it through steam, whether or not it exists.

Steam can give you a windows EXE on linux that doesn't work for shit if they feel like it.

What part of multi-platform you don't get? There's no need to maintain both versions since the Vulkan Version works the same on both systems.

Vulkan is literally just another openGL API version. Programs which did their graphics in openGL still function across any platform.

Only reason not to support it is if you're a halfass dev that can't evolve or a (seriously dying) directx shill.

>Vulkan is literally just another openGL API version.
no

Practically, yes. There's more in the details but for all purposes, yes.

Turns out companies only care about shitnux if it's android