AMD IS IFNASIDFSAHRAST

1700 overclocked to 4.0

imgur.com/a/JWYaI

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Benched against a 7700k, CPU-z isn't all that great a benchmark but it's the first real benchmark of a overclocked chip.

My erection is going to last all day isn't it?

1700 at stock, note the low voltage due to being a 65W part.

Looking at this, the 1700x and 1800x should need some 15-20% lower voltage to reach the same clocks, the 1700's voltage target is low.

IS
THIS
RUNNING
ON
THE
STOCK
COOLER?!

>Stock at 1.05v
>Presumably safe at 1.35v
That's...a lot of voltage headroom

Kabylake isn't a slouch either, people run it stable near 1.45-1.5v, its stock is 1.2v

1.5v? Kaby Lake is literally Skylake, and Skylake isn't 24/7 1.5v safe...is it?

Not surprised, AMD has experience with pushing house fire levels of current and 14nm drinks a lot of juice when OC'd.

It's skylake but with changes to the metal layer making it safer to soak up higher voltage.
Not something really seen in marketing or benchmark slides, it's a foundry/wafer issue.

This

AMD gave me a pretty based stock cooler with my A10 that I could crank all the way to 4.2GHz and temps stayed around 60C under furmark's cpu burner.

If this is running on a fucking stock cooler I don't know what to say.

The highest voltage I'd ever call "24/7 under load" safe is 1.25v, or 1.3v if not under load. 1.35v is pushing the limits of what anyone who is not an overclocker should use, maybe if you have a full water loop.

Not bad. The FPU test uses the AVX2 instructions. As we already know any test that uses AVX2 demands more processor power.

An example: my processor is a Xeon E3-1241 v3. If it runs with the voltage at 1.05v and I run some test that makes use of the AVX2, the voltage goes up to 1.10v.

The chink who ran the benchmarks also uploaded a few pictures of the stock cooler. It's likely he's using it.

Beat your meat like the rest of us.

Imagine just a wraith cooler slapped on instead.

I didn't hear anything about r3 and r5
are they going to be as good?

AMDfag here, CPU-z slightly favors AMD's cache design, a lot of stuff doesn't so it has higher IPC in this particular test.

There's probably other stuff that favors 512Kb L2 caches as well, we'll know soon enough.

So this would imply that Ryzen actually has an IPC lead versus Kaby Lake.

Those 5.1GHz kabylakes are tested in 6 hour stress tests, certainly not 24/7 over several days.

But that's fine, it's not a server part that should be running all the time, most people either supend or shut down after the day is over, I know I do.

1.25 max?, my 6700k stock is at 1.31

HOLY SHIT THIS IS SIMPLY TOO GOOD. INTEL IS REALLY DONE FOR. CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMMOROW.

see
In this particular test? Yes.
In cinnebench? No.

IPC is workload dependent.

No. Go back to the CanardPC tweet about Ryzens 512kb cache helping it look better on the CPU-Z bench because it's optimized for 256kb cache.

Real world results will be a little worse, but not much.

You mean Wraith Max. 1700 comes with a Wraith Spire.

We knew this months ago already. It has the same IPC, twice the cores, but much lower clocks. That's partially because 7700k was a clock bump of 6700k, which was a clock bump of whatever that came before it (Haswell? Broadwell? I forgot), etc etc etc way back to Sandy. Plus some extra AVX instructions here and there to give it that 5% IPC boost in certain applications.

>Those 5.1GHz kabylakes are tested in 6 hour stress tests
Wrong! Silicon lottery only test their bogus overclocks for 1 hour. That's right, only one hour and they sell chips as "stable". What a joke. They also use the most expensive motherboards and cooling available.

Who /planningafullAMDbuild/ here

Planning a 1700x with 480 because Vega looks like another Radeon meme.

Wega better fucking deliver.

But yes.

Gonna go with 1600X + Vega or 1070. If Vega doesn't come out before April, then 1070 it is.

Getting a 480 and a hexa core, I rarely play vidya games anymore and my 7850 can still handle most stuff I play so the 480 will serve me well for years.

Just waiting for the intel price cut. No one really wants AMD. It's about the price cut.

Me too but not sure if 1600x is the sweet spot or 1700?
And not sure if I want Nvidia or and you yet it depends on Vega
Also Aren't nvidias graphics drivers going downhill?

Already using one with a 1090T and a 290X. I'll wait a few weeks before buying Ryzen so that the dust can settle on things like memory compatibility.

I just want a midrange HBM video card for my HTPC.

Tualatin is a meme. If AMD was a bit slower with its Athlon, it would be dead because Pentium 4 wouldn't be so shitty.

AMD* lel

cuck

>1600x900

Oh you crazy Iranians.
On the other hand those crazy 7700k stock clocks seem to do absolute shit.

Should I wait for a cheaper R5 1600x or buy the 1700?

Currently using an i5 4690

>same gaymen performance as a 7700k with 30% lower clocks
>twice the cores

And that game seems to not care for more than 4-5 cores, hence the scores being the same.

Neat.

Just get the 1700. I don't see the point in upgrading shit unless you get ~2X the performance increase.

How long will Intel keep the current Intel Core nomenclature? They're going to hit something like the i7 9900K or some shit soon and then what? Sticking with it and getting into the 1xxxx series seems dumb

Yeah thats why I'm worried. They say the 1700 doesn't overclock well (4 Ghz seems nice tho)

I may just buy the 1700x to avoid TDP limitation

I'm currently on an i3 6100 and a poorfag student, I'm waiting for R5

Also keep in mind that they were using 2133MHz RAM and the stock cooler.

>I may just buy the 1700x to avoid TDP limitation
What TDP limitation? The only benefit of the 1700X is more chance of a higher overclock but that's about it.

I wish they never announced the 1700. I'm a poorfag and I only have 650 euros to spend. I want 8 cores and 16 threads, but I can only afford the 1700 with a decent x370 motherboard. I'll end up fucking myself over if I buy it, I just know I will. The 1600x is probably going overclock to 4.5 or 4.6GHz which would be close to 8 cores 16 threads at 4GHz in performance.

Yes, but not in the near future, maybe a year from now.
I'm not going to play the early adopter game and beta test hardware before all the drivers have been ironed out and Linux support is mature.

What's stopping you from disabling 2 cpu cores and getting better OC'ing performance?

tdp is only 65w for 1700

This is uninformed, TDP itself has nothing to do with overclocking, voltage curve does.

This is not me. I know that tdp doesn't necessarily mean power consumption. The reason the 1700 has a 65w tdp is because it runs at 3GHz. As soon as you overclock it to 4GHz, it effectively becomes a 95w tdp CPU.
>What's stopping you from disabling 2 cpu cores and getting better OC'ing performance?
It's probably lower binned since it's non-x. We'll know everything tomorrow, though.

Just buy the MSI b350 Mortar board.

>"
Thethermal design power(TDP), sometimes calledthermal design point, is the maximum amount ofheatgenerated by a computer chip or component (often theCPUorGPU) that thecooling systemin a computer is designed todissipatein typical operation. Rather than specifying CPU's realpower dissipation, TDP serves as thenominal valuefor designing CPU cooling systems."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_design_power

TDP has nothing to do with OC potential.

>It's probably lower binned since it's non-x. We'll know everything tomorrow, though.
Probably but running 6 cores at 4.4GHz is more likely than running 8 cores at 4.4GHz on the 1700 for example.

It probably limits overclocking significantly. If I buy a 1700x and a shitty b350 motherboard instead of x370, I'll again end up with a 4 - 4.2GHz overclock.

see
ehhhh, ya missed pal

>soon as you overclock it to 4GHz, it effectively becomes a 95w tdp CPU
It would be significantly higher than 95w. 1800x base freq is 3.6 and it's 95w, further more 1700 is a worse bin. Most b350 boards can't run 1700 at 4.0Ghz because of their more shitty power delivery.

You know it's sad but true.

>AMD has better cache
>Claim benchmarks are biased towards AMD because they have better cache
Next you'll say benchmarks are biased against Pentium IIIs because they use new instructions

That's why I don't want to do I'll just save up and get a 150-200 euro motherboard and a 1700x.

Meant to link Pairing a b350 board with a 1700x/1800x is stupid.

Maybe. Not saying "Yes", but maybe. It's a good time to sell a 290X.

>Shitty power delivery
I know it won't be a magic bullet, but couldn't you improve your B350 overclock by cooling the MOSFETs, assuming they don't come with cooling on cheap boards

B350 boards have fewer and lower quality phases.

???

What a time to be alive.

What would be a good gigabyte or said board to go with a 1700?

>slightly favors AMD's cache design
>architectural improvements = bias

get a load of this shill

No its not. Name one feature the 270x (or 370x) boards doesn't do

That's why I said it's not a magic bullet – but in theory those same cheap stages should work better and last longer if they aren't a million degrees

Asus*

>he doubted! burn the heretic! burn the non-believer!!!
situationally better doesn't mean better across the board

A B350 board? I assume they're all similar in terms of overclocking, but you usually want more phases and VRM cooling (the heatsinks you often see on higher end motherboards).

I checked out some b350 mobos, they tend to have 6 phases which is barely enough for 8c/16t. You can still clock 1700 to ~3.6-3.8 around 1800x speeds, which is a still a nice boost from baseline.

Is this real?

If you're spending money for a top end chip you might as well spend a bit extra to let you get more overclock headroom

More connected and larger cache is an objective advantage. Sure it will give different benefits for different workloads, but that's true of literally any other measure

There's no reason to say using the cache "biases" a benchmark any more than being efficiently multithreaded

Okay so If I were to get a 1600x which I'm most likely I would go with the ASUS B350-plus but what would I want to go with for a 1700?

I don't understand. Are you implying b350 boards are better than x370 boards?

>burn the heretic
nice pointless hyperbole there, bud

>situationally better doesn't mean better across the board
no shit, hence why I'm making fun of your logic that an architectural improvement that lets it perform better in some aspect than the competition is for some reason "bias" lmfao

It's 5-8% slower in IPC than Skylake but it's far, far more efficient, Intel will need that 7nm soon and I mean really soon and hope Zen+ isn't next year.

>4 phases
>gaming LEDs
>gaming LAN
>gaming certified

>studio grade sound quality

That thing uses a Realtek sound card which is awful.

There's no way in hell Zen+ is next year. That's 2019 shit. Phones are gonna have to get on Samsung/GloFo's 7nm before Zen does.

It's a specific advantage in a synthetic benchmark. Something you won't see in most real world use cases, which means the results are flawed in what they are representing.

It's like comparing mileage on cars and one car has twice the gas tank capacity, as another car, and you're being asked how many times did you fill up?

It's going to give you results that are Atypical of anything else.

AMD said Zen is getting upgrades every year, just like Bulldozer did, it will still be 14nm next year and considering the massive lead AMD has in perf/watt that's more than enough, I can already see big issues that will be fixed next year like the IMC and FPU.

So, AMD wants to do Tick-Tock?

Mark Papermaster explicitly said it wasn't tick-tock, but tock-tock-tock.

AMD doesn't name their yearly upgrades they did yearly for 30 years with a stupid marketing name, it's just a fucking new generation.

When they go down to 7nm they'll go down to 7nm, that's it.

Tick-tock strategy is dead for everyone. AMD will switch to new node when they can depending on foundry but still improve architecture at the same time.

>Papermaster
Why don't people talk about this guy's silly-ass name more often?

well why don't you stop posting stupid fucking anime pictures, bitch?

>complaining about anime on Sup Forums
Stay triggered senpai

suck my cock, faggot

It's "dude".
Suck my cock, dude.

Not "Suck my cock, faggot"

Get your /jp/ memes right

what are you talking about you dumb weeaboo

Stay mad, shilltel kike.
>jewtel loses in benchmark
>i-i-it's because AMD has better cache

>being this butthurt about vietnamese woodcarvings