Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Appreciation Thread

Who here uses an UPS?
How often does it save your PC from losing power?

It is about 2-3 times a week for me.
However, my ISP doesn't have UPS and when the power goes out, the internet takes about 30 minutes to come back.

I love my UPS because I no longer have HDD, SSD, and USB Storage failures anymore. I was replacing my stuff 3 times a year sometimes.

Do you love your UPS, Sup Forums?

Do you live in the woods of New Hampshire or Sub Saharan Africa? I live in a first world country and I never had a single power outage in the past 5 years.

Where the fuck do you even live

Almost all old construction on the east coast (and many other parts of the country) use powerlines that are unburied. Or if you live somewhere like California or New york city which dew to such high population densities can see brown outs, and even black outs during peak power use (especially during the summer when everyone has AC running all day).

TLDR there are many reasons you might have power interruptions in the US, even in a highly affluent area.

I live in one of the wealthiest towns in the country (in the top 12) and I lose power one to two times per month for a minute or less. Maybe once a year I lose power for 10-20 minutes. And every now and then during particularly bad snow storms I might be without power for ~3 days.

I have a 1500VA UPS that gets used at least once a month during small power fluctuations(brown outs) and the occasional power outage.

>living in a 3rd world country

Worse. Canada.

I live in a 3rd world section of the USA. Every time the wind blows too hard there's a county-wide power outage for a few seconds. When I did PC repair here, the number one replacement were storage devices followed by PSUs. One time I had to replace over 2,000 PSUs and HDDs because of some spike after an outage. I made a shit load of dough that week. I even recommended that my clients get a UPS, but only 2 followed that advice; one being a library.

>Who here uses an UPS?
me, satan

>How often does it save your PC from losing power?
a couple times a year.
I get hundreds of days of uptime before I have to reboot for updates.

I get power outages once every 2 or so months. This thing keeps my computer, monitor, and speakers running for about 35 minutes. The modem has its own UPS that lasts for almost 8 hours.

The only time my power cuts out is during bad T-Storms, which is like once or twice a year.

I've been meaning to get one, but instead of paying $120 for one I always get something else, like another HDD.

I wish they made UPSes with a runtime of a few seconds. I don't need much more than that, the power rarely goes out where I live, but brownouts and flickers happen. They don't even last a second, but they're just enough to reboot my machines.

Got a 3000VA UPS two weeks ago, but the batteries seem dead after being in storage for 3 months. I still have connect it to the switched PDU and set some SNMP traps for monitoring.

Just buy the cheapest UPS available.

Small ones will run you ~$40-50.

A small price to pay in my opinion.

Most posters on Sup Forums are on a machine that is worth as much a decent UPS is new.

>not having clean power
>not having enough power to watch a movie on before the tornado kills you
>not having all your high end hardware on battery back ups

The kind of people who probably don't even use surge protectors.

I don't use an UPS.
In the 5 years that I've lived in this apartment, I've lost power twice. One time was planned maintenance, and the other time some fuckwad accidentally cut the cables doing some badly planned construction work.

i'm sure a portion of Sup Forums is like that, but you just have to go to a speccy or guts thread to see evidence of dual xeons, or 6/8/10 core consumer intels, etc.

i have a fairly expensive surge protector. it has pretty lights on it

>11 minutes runtime at 50% load

>there are still people ITT who don't use a UPS because they think it isn't needed

Got one of these on my server. Used a few different types of UPS, this is by far the best.

Got a vm which is connected to it via usb, if a power outage happens, I get events by email.

I got an Eaton Ellipse Eco for my desktop 6 months ago and it has saved my work several times already. I need to get another one for my router soon.