Getting a computer science degree VS teaching your self how to code and theory

Getting a computer science degree VS teaching your self how to code and theory

what's better Sup Forums?

getting the degree makes getting a job easier

It's both fucking garbage. However, applies.

When in doubt, learn something else while you still can.

never got to know hwat a firmware is, besides updating my router's...

this, if you are a autistic fuck, you won't be able to get a job without a degree, if you ask such a dumb question in the first place, a degree is probably better for you, generic comemonkey shit

>you won't be able to get a job without a degree
why not?

>It's both fucking garbage
why?

If you don't need a degree for a job, then why are you even considering it? Just apply for a job and tell them you've learned everything the is to know online.

provide some data plz

it's a meme job

elaborate, why?

What a retarded image

both are good, degree is useful and you can always supplement with self-study

the main issue is that the degree is often simply not required and all that matters is your ability to perform. A lot of places will hire a guy with a very strong portfolio over a guy with a degree

Companies want developers who can ship product with minimal bullshit. They don't care about code, they only care about what they pay you and what you produce. It's harder to get jobs without a degree and it will take you longer to advance at first, but after you've worked for a few years, all else equal, there's no discernible difference. A degree is necessary if you're a 20-year-old starry eyed boy who wants to work at Google or whatever, but if you want $65k-120k in some low COL area then it simply doesn't matter in the long run.

What do you want to do? Do you just want to get a job, or create a startup or something? Just up what you need from the internet and fake til you make.

Do you want to study for it's own sake? Get a degree. Want to do real research? You'll need a degree to get into a PhD. I'm not in cs. I defended my PhD thesis a couple of years ago though in a semi related field.

>What do you want to do?

Money in the software field

start by calling it programming

If you get the degree for software engineering. Not that many colleges offer it but it's more respected than CS. You will usually have to take a shitload more math and physics because you will be part of the "engineering" department but it's worth it.

if you can live at home or something perhaps you should try self learning first
explain to mom and dad what you're doing
if that doesn't work then go get your degree

why is assembler above firmware

Get another job if you are only in for the money.

I didn't say im in ONLY for the money

assembler shouldn't be in there anyway