/sqt/ Stupid Question Thread

LAST THREAD:
Ask away.

Other urls found in this thread:

plaza.one/mp3
forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/orig-development/rom-cyanogenmod-14-1-nightlies-htc-one-t3511673
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V65501149&cm_re=dell-_-1TS-000A-01CJ1-_-Product
web.archive.org/web/20161224192620/https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Reposting question:

If I apply for a job which supposedly requires 3 years of experience while I have 0 (Z E R O) do I just end up looking like an idiot who's wasting their time or is there a chance they might consider my application regardless of it?
I kinda know these people in person as well, but still

Are people really retarded enough to fanboy this hard for AMD/Intel/Nvidia, or is it just pretending for the sake of shitposting?

Surely people do their research and buy whatever offers the best performance at the price they're willing to pay no matter the brand, right? Surely you're all smart and mature enough to do that, yes?

Can anyone tell me if the following madVR settings are the best for Dell laptop with an SSD, 64-bit Windows 10 installed, an Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 GPU, and 1366 x 768 x 60 hertz resolution?

Deinterlacing: "automatically activate deinterlacing when needed (if in doubt, deactivate deinterlacing)". "Only look at pixels in the frame center" unchecked.
Artifact Removal: "reduce banding artifacts" and "reduce ringing artifacts" both unchecked
Chroma Upscaling: Bicubic75 with anti-ringing filter activated
Image Downscaling: DXVA2
Image Upscaling: DXVA2
General Settings: "delay playback start until render queue is full", "enable windowed overlay", "use Direct3D 11 for presentation", "present a frame for every VSync", "use a seperate device for presentation", and "use a seperate device for DXVA processing" all checked. Everything else is unchecked.
Dithering: Ordered Dithering
Smooth Motion: "Enable smooth motion frame rate conversion...only if there would be motion judder without it" checked.
Trade Quality for Performance: "store custom pixel shader results in 16bit buffer instead of 32bit" and "don't rerender frames when fade in/out is detected" both checked. Everything else is unchecked.

If it's relevant, I'll be mostly watching stuff on a 40in Samsung SmartTV hooked up to my laptop with an HDMI cord.

Feel free to also give suggestions for the other options not listed above.

if you match 75% on their 'requirements', you're good

how can I get this music stream to work in cmus? plaza.one/mp3

Depends on what it is. If it's a particular language, emphasize your experience with out languages then just say some bullshit like "I'm a fast learner."
Or, depending on your comfort level, buy a "In a Nutshell" book for a crash course in the language to get enough information to bullshit your way through.

Give me some advice here pls. I need a new processor that I won't have to upgrade in a year or two.

>I'm gayming at 2k and 144Hz
>running a GTX 1070
>getting bottlenecked hard by my i5 CPU

What processor should I go for? A cheap 6700k? The 7700k? 1700x?

It's literally just underage fags shitposting, anyone who has been involved in the tech field for at least a few years could give a shit what kind of processor you use.

How does this bench look? I was some chink brand SSD I got for $15.

Repost from a thinkpad general

Hey guys, using my x131e with the celeron specs.

I'm trying to get windows 10 the normal route.

let me explain myself
I currently am running a torrented version of win7 with a i think old kmspico cracked key.

now underneath the laptop is a windows 8 sticker.

also this laptop is given the option of uefi or legacy "port"(I'm using port since I don't know the actual term)

i've been told by a friend, that in theory, the win8 key is in the motherboard (idk how it works but ive looked online and is a real thing)

given that, my plan is to uninstall the cracked key on my win7 while booting win8 from usb in microsofts website.

when I get to the thing, it should naturally just find the key and not ask me, right?

I did boot win8 installation from usb drive before, but it asked me for a key anyways. I assume it's because that the fake is still on the computer.

am i wrong? I don't mind the botnet since it's my student laptop, and I heard win10 is better optimized for celeron 1007u than the standard win8.1

Thanks

I hope so

it's kinda tricky because it's "system engineering", but if they're still the same as the last time I was over there, that's pretty much system administration with a few more responsibilities. Ofcourse I have 0 experience with such things in the real world since I'm currently part-time in software development while studying.
I have some classes that I can pick up which would come in handy for it + I still have time to learn on my own since they're no hiring yet, it's an inside info that they will, that's for sure.

I should be pretty close to my ''''''''''master's'''''''''''' degree (actually specialization degree) which is more than enough for the education requirements they'll have, but alas no real experience...
I wouldn't feel right getting this job pulling the strings that I have and then end up being totally incompetent at it

>chink brand SSD I got for $15
I hope you're not planning to put any important data in that drive cause it's going to fail within two or three months

What socket is your current i5 on?

But I'm ok with buying a new mainboard and RAM.

So I have an i7 6770k, 32 GB of DDR4, and a single R9 290 (don't ask). Every time I reboot my computer I have to press the power button like 19 damn times before I get any signal through my monitor. At first I thought it was my GPU because I'm getting BSoDs with 0x0EA error codes whenever I put any stress on the GPU (games, hardware acceleration on browser, etc.) but I've had a handful of instances of my monitor getting no signal when plugged straight into the mobo DVI port. (mobo is a gigabyte ga z170x if that helps) what the fuck is going on?

In that case you could go with any of those cpus. None of those will bottleneck a 1070 and it comes down to whether you prefer stronger single core performance or not.

Any windows program that record how much bandwight i used? If possible how much each individual program used?

Sounds like a power delivery issue to your mobo

How do I break old puushes?

I tried deleting one, an archive, using the my account button, but it's still accessible. I have the files downloaded already.

as a side, I'm getting a 1070 tomorrow. But my concern is that it's not just my GPU and something else and I'd rather not have to buy a new monitor/mobo/cpu etc as well as a GPU

Didn't think about that. My psu is old as dicks (OCZ 850W from like 2009). I'd just hate to start throwing money and not get the issue rectified as cheaply as possible.

Anyone got any Hard Drive recommendations in the 70$ price range?

I'm seeing a lot of well priced 3TB HDDs but I've heard those are apparently a bad deal.

WHat about the 2TB Toshiba HDDs?

I have a 1TB Toshiba and it started shitting itself about half a year after I bought it

I was reading about thermal grease conductivity, and I didn't expect it to be on the fucking single digits. But would lapping the surfaces, or even soldering the heatsink to the CPU with a low melting point, high conductivity element like tin help?

Jesus christ
I've come across some HSGT UltraStars in my price range but I keep hearing bad things about buying not strictly "Gaming" HDDs

I'm on my PC constantly

How do I automatically arrange my music files into this order:
>Artist > Album > Song/s

Sup Forums is useless

Halp me bros, my computer is kill.
It was working fine but then there was a few days of extremely hot temperatures and even two blackouts. After that it was working fine but suddenly it shutted down. After a while I could start it again, but like one day after it stopped working entirely.

When I press the power button the processor's fan starts spinning but then it dies. I unplugged the GPU and it's the same. After a few tries, now i can't even get the fan to spin for 1 second anymore.

I'm assuming the PSU is fucked up, but it can't be dead, right? I mean, it's receiving power. The ethernet port has the light on and the motherboard light is also lit.

What could it be?
i don't want to buy a PSU just to see everything else is dead

HGST are supposed to be the most reliable

I'm buying a WD Blue or Black soon, it's only 50 or 90 bucks so fuck it

Your motherboard was probably damaged somehow, is there anything else you left out ? What happened in between and before the high temp + blackouts?

Like were you swapping out ram or reseating the cpu?

But what you described so far is telling me that the mobo is fried

Nothing. I rebooted once or twice.

Really? Aw man, that's shit, but I need to be sure. How can I even check.
Also if it's fried why is the light still on?

humans in general are retarded and will fanboy over all kinds of stupid shit
amd vs nvidia, xbox vs playstation, my sports team vs your sports team...

Is there any way, on Android, to have fingerprints recognized, but to only allow password lock? For fingerprints to be used only for other stuff, ie app locks, password managers, etc.

Yeah man, there's little things on the board called capacitors that can get damaged during a power surge, this effects the power delivery to the rest of your components.

Also there may have been damage to the circuits whenever the computer shorted out.

Check your cmos too

how can i drill an ethernet cable from the router to my bedroom through the walls?

bored of using wi-fi and all the problems it brings me

lmao basically how do i get an ethernet cable to my room without mum going crazy!!

i ran mine under my house and up through the floor /through the ceiling. ask your dad user

oh god

I cleared the CMOS, I don't *see* any capacitor burned or anything. Any other idea?

Honestly I still think it's the PSU, but I wish there were other ways I could check

PSU may also be bad like you said. That's difficult to diagnose over Internet posts though. Can't know for sure unless you have a power supply tester

Not a question, but I wanted to drop this here:
You can quickly restart Firefox using Shift + F2 then writing restart in the console.
This is useful for people that loves to keep Firefox open for days, which makes it clogged with junk memory that decreases performance thanks to the garbage collector running wild.
I recommend setting browser.sessionstore.restore_pinned_tabs_on_demand to true in about:config, this makes it so that pinned tabs don't load when you start Firefox unless you click on them.

Are the non-flagship phones that get pooped out with no commercials worth buying?

My flagship HTC M8 has shit the bed so hard, it's totally unusable, and it's only a couple years old. And a flagship.

Can I possibly buy a phone that for something like $200 without it being a turd or does a smooth android / iOS experience for a few years really cost $700+ every time I need a new phone?

whats the best android emu

You truly "get what you pay for" when it comes to phones still

Price isn't a good indicator of user experience. The power of phones and their features have reached a point that manufactuerers are having to come up with BS features to try and sell new ones. You can find a lot of good shit for $200 w/o contract, just be aware that some lesser known models don't get a lot of root/rom support or future updates

Been playing around with OBS, unfortunately I have a very shitty recording setup with a very loud fan going at all times and loud keyboard/mouse and etc.
I'm working on trying to reduce some of the physical noise myself, but I'm also wondering if there's a way to rip audio straight from a service like Discord that seems to work well at only capturing actual speech?

Also any general advice on noise management and minimizing background noise would be appreciated. Even with the gain as low as possible on my microphone my computer makes a hell of a racket.

Does anyone here use the foobar2000 mobile UPnP feature?

I don't think you really get what you pay for honestly. $700 is not worth a semi-decent performing phone that dies in exactly 2 years.

Is there any phone that does not fit the stereotype of turning into a piece of shit after that 2 year point? I really just need a cheap phone, and I'm afraid to buy used because of the 2 year lifespan of death by lag.

Stuff like attack(), pickupItem(), move(), getItemFromInventory(), etc ... should be defined on a interface and every class that needs such functions should implement the necessary interface.

You also need to use abstract classes for stuff like characters and items, for example an abstract class named Character can have 3 children, Player, NPC and Enemy.

The rest its up to your design choices.

So, External HDD 1 died. It was the most up to date.
External HDD was the second most up to date.

When I recovered HDD1, a majority of the files did not have names.

Is there a duplicate file program I can run to eliminate the majority of the revoered files from hdd 1, leaving only the newer files without names that aren't on hdd 2
?

do what others do;
use a directional mic and put dampening material on the wall behind you to avoid reflections

Any electronics can break. There's no magical 2 year mark where all phones expire. If you don't treat them like shit they usually last for years, with the possible exception of decreased battery life. And what you save buying used is usually enough to give you some leway

Nope. Every flagship phone I've purchased has shit the bed with lag and glitches after about 2 years.

ok fuck, i'm not a dev and need help with this shit

i have some small powershell scripts i need to distribute to several windows 2012 servers. when i update the code i need to be able to push the updated script to the servers (or have them pull it, even if it's via a scheduled task, i don't care which, it's not incredibly time sensitive)

i work on these scripts from my laptop, my pc, and some test servers, so need to be able to keep everything in sync. also prefer to have a 'central' repo which gets backed up regularly.

is this what git is used for? i have no idea where to begin with this shit. can someone give me a sample workflow i can use?

My gs5 is from a few years ago and it still works fine.

Is there a user specific alternative for /etc/environment where I can specify key/value pairs for environment variables?

Could be down to the way you treat them. You can't go slappin mates with your M8. What rom are you using?

Should I get a 13' or a 15' laptop? I'm a mobile games developer who moves around a lot. Looking specifically at the Dell XPS.

13'
>Battery life - 11:00
>Weighs 1.2 kg

15'
>Battery life - 8:30
>Weighs 2.0 kg
>Nvidia GTX 1050

Key features for me are portability, which would make the choice obvious. But that GTX is very enticing.. Any opinions?

That's the thing, I have a very good environment for a test about this 2-year thing because my entire family owns the same phone. Everyone's phone has turned into a laggy piece of shit. I personally tried reinstalling android several times, but after days of fucking around with the operating system nothing I did could make it run like it was new again.

>What rom are you using?

How much degrees you can lower in a CPU by delidding and lapping it?

I don't remember. Stock HTC bullshit android 5.0.1

There's your problem bro

forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/orig-development/rom-cyanogenmod-14-1-nightlies-htc-one-t3511673

My microphone has directional settings, and is general purpose enough that I'd prefer not to get rid of it just for a more specialized mic. What kind of sound dampening material is commonly used?

not sure about specifics, i just know people use them

to clarify, I'm considering putting a sound-dampening "shell" around the fan that causes the most noise, depending of course on the materials involved.

How much gayming performance am I missing out on by not upgrading to Windows 10 and thus DX12? Is Vulkan big yet?

very little and no

If i'm looking to buy a SBC should just get an odroid c2 when they restock? Is there enough support for it? Or should i just buy a rbp 3? Not doing anything too fancy yet but i want room to expand what i do with it. I see people saying stay away from orange pi due to SoC.

Have you considered a separate microphone?

So I just built a new PC and installed Windows 10 with an OEM I got from Kinguin, and I'm having trouble activating it. It says to call the automated phone number. Since it's an OEM do I choose the Volume licensing option?

you can't use OEM keys

there are several methods of reducing computer noise, such as;
- software to control fans to keep them at a minimal speed by targeting a set temperature
- rubber fan/hdd mounting things instead of screws
- acoustic dampening lining in cases
- fanless psu/gpu/cpu coolers
- rubber feet on cases, if yours doesn't already have them

No

Wrong. It's technically against microsoft's TOS, but everybody does it

Opinions on this? Will be used for school. That numpad is kind of important to me because I am studying accounting by the way.

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V65501149&cm_re=dell-_-1TS-000A-01CJ1-_-Product

Question - If I save the url link to a Sup Forums thread, will I have access to it forever? Even after it's archived?

No, threads only stay in the archive for a while, then they 404 and they're lost forever.

I feel like I've seen this before...

I dried some dates to make date sugar, and they had the texture of hard candy, so what would happen if I tried boiling date syrup to hard crack temperature? Could I make some "healthy" candy?

That looks pretty good. It's not a raging powerhouse, but it's one of the better dual core/iGPU setups. Will work very well for most general use

Okay. I've Got a lot of screenshotting to do

Yes, the archive is permanent and you can always count on the links working.

Nothing new happens here

choose the 1st option

Ok neat, yeah that is what I am aiming for. I just wanted to make sure that there werent any huge red flags, etc.

what is he best way to backup my windows instalation?

I usually reformat and reinstall everything but lately I've grown lazy.
I just don't want to reinstall drivers everytime.

Nothing lasts forever

web.archive.org/web/20161224192620/https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page

Macrium

yes it can - oems are just iffy but ringing the number solved any issues every single time I've built a computer

Thanks for these suggestions, I'll look into elevating my case a bit with some rubber feet and see if that helps

My case is actually supposed to have several fans set up, which I'm sure would help reduce noise when set at a realistic target temperature since each fan would need to work less, but unfortunately the company I bought my case from is a no-name chinese scam (the struggles of a first build) and did not come with enough proper connections for all the fans to begin with. I may be able to buy the connection cables and suss out how to get the fans connected and working, though. Then it will only be an issue of getting a low-volume keyboard and mouse instead of the cheap loud equipment I have now

As an additional option, would it be helpful to move the microphone further away from the sound source in addition to masking the noise? I'm more worried about there being an imbalance in the recording if the mic is far off to the side, though maybe this is something that can be re-balanced while editing?
Most websites I'm reading say to keep the mic at least 6 ft from any computer or other electronic noise source, but I don't see how this is supposed to work on a desktop setup.

There's an ant that somehow managed to get inside my monitor and it's scrawling around under the screen and it won't come out. How the fuck do I get it out without damaging the screen?

>My case is actually supposed to have several fans set up, which I'm sure would help reduce noise when set at a realistic target temperature since each fan would need to work less
most motherboards have one or more extra fan power connectors on them (in additional to the cpu fan connector), which allow for speed measurement and most importantly, software speed (pwm) control
you can generally safely run multiple fans off of one connector with a splitter

the idea, as you could imagine, is that you could have your fans run just "fast enough", that is, they run at a very low speed or even off under a certain cpu temperature, and speed up only to maintain a certain set maximum
this means you no longer have full blast fans going when your cpu is chilling out at a needless 25c

Holy shit post pics lol

My case has 6 total fans and only 3 (iirc) total fan connectors, and the instructions for how to connect them are non-existant (and the rest of the connection instructions in broken unintelligible English). Honestly it was down to luck that I got the main fan connected at all.

you could try placing some insect bait/poison on or close to the outside of the monitor casing and hope it can detect it at some point

whatever you do, don't press on the screen, you'll probably just kill it and you'll never get it out