How come even the times AMD has vastly superior GPUs to Nvidia, they still sell less?

How come even the times AMD has vastly superior GPUs to Nvidia, they still sell less?
Like the HD 5770 & HD 5870 that pooped on the GTX 480 by 30% better price/performance, and the HD 7970 that pooped on the GTX 580 by over 50% better price/performance, and still pooped on the GTX 680 which came out a year later but people still bought overpriced 580s and 680s anyway.

Even when the 9000 series launched which was literally double the performance per dollar of overpriced FX shit, they still didn't overtake then.

shit drivers

won't be that way for a little bit

Mainly marketing and parroting. Looking at both gpus and cpus we can see that intel and nvidia have a fair amount of fear mongering to make people stick to them. They also have a lot of contracts with manufacturers which strengthen their brand image. I'll get people saying shit but a fx8350 and hd7970 combo was great at the time and im glad i purchased it. Still good.

We can clearly see this isnt working right now however, amds stock has quadrupled and their rx series is going strong right now and ryzen is looking to be a great success.

When will this graphic be updated?

wow u added bloom
this is truly modern

Because Nvidia manage to hold top perfomance crown.

NVidia had nothing that beat the 6990 even for years.

AMD was completely fucking Nvidia from 2009 to mid 2013. They were fucking them much more badly than Nvidia is fucking AMD the past year.

How many pre built "gaming" pc's from shops do you see that feature either AMD GPU or an option to chose an AMD GPU.

One of the sites I check has the 1050 or 1060 pre selected by default on most builds, and on many of these they do not even have an option to choose AMD GPU's

This one only starts at 2009, but it's newer.

And sales, not market share, which is a better indicator.

Yeah you have to wonder if that's because Nvidia under cuts to pc-builders, or if it's just their marketing that makes Nvidia the prebuilts that normies want to buy.
The RX480 is superior to the 1060 and cheaper.
The RX470 is superior to the 1050Ti and cheaper (only $110 right now).

The R9 Fury is 85-95% the performance of the 1070 but costs nearly half since Black Friday of last year.

One thing I do know for sure and that is is that its dodgy, and typical crony behavior. Precisely what one would expect of nvidia.

Brand association and contractual agreements with suppliers.

>AMD has price/performance value cards
>so why do people by the higher-end nVidia cards?
dude what? there's no AMD answer to the 1080/Ti for example

The real question is why do people buy midrange nVidia cards, I'd like to know.

most users dont even need a 1080ti (not released yet even).

1060/70 vs 480? I know which id prefer but people think 1080 and then assume everything under it is also good

6990 is dual gpu, and you ask why amd fail. amd need to stop this dual gpu crap

DX11 performance and shitty drivers. It was a bigger problem years ago compared to now.

>NVidia had nothing that beat the 6990 even for years.
>AMD was completely fucking Nvidia from 2009 to mid 2013
ok youre full of bullshit. 6990 was not good, same for 7990. 2009 was when amd dropped off and 2011-2013 was pure panic for AMD. the 7970 was alright but thats all they had.

Seriously amd Navi look like a bunch of shit. scalability bulsthit, someone plz go shot raja in the head. I like amd but dual gpu need to go

lmao? Nvidia did/does the same thing.
Except AMD dual GPUs actually delivered 90-100% more performance across all games (except the Radeon Pro Duo. That one worked differently and was pretty messed up) while it's Nvidia dual GPUs that gave dual GPU a bad name.

It's because that technology will make AMD tons of money on servers.

They're working on something that works the same as like how you have 8 20 core Xeons on one motherboard and they work together with low latency.
PCI-E is way too high latency.
It will also enable HSA without having an iGPU. It's going to be insane, you have no idea.

I would mostly blame the marketing team. Up until the 7970 their gpus were great, but most consumers were just more familiar with Nvidia. After that they fell behind, were plagued by driver issues.Though I will admit AMDs gpus have aged much better than Nvidias counterparts.

Because AMD is unstable garbage, nobody wants that crap

marketing
thats all it is

The only way navi could work vs bigger die, if they could clock it to insane level, assuming smaller die gpu can clock better. sadly amd were behind in gpu clock race atm

Sad but this is the truth DESU. Current drivers would be fucking futuristic if you traveled back to 2012 with Crimson ReLive.

You're retarded.

>The RX480 is superior to the 1060 and cheaper.
bullshit, gtx 1060 6gb is better especially if you oc it, while most 480 struggle to oc since temps and watt usage are so fucking awful as always with amd

HD6990 more housefire then Fermi.

>The only way navi could work vs bigger die, if they could clock it to insane level, assuming smaller die gpu can clock better. sadly amd were behind in gpu clock race atm
Jesus you're so... you're just so clueless. The performance of GPUs does not boil down to their clock speed and memory. There's so fucking much more to them holy shit.

Vega gets double the performance on half precision floats. It's going to have over the double performance per cycle for the majority of operations over the 1080Ti.
And it has a far more sophisticated cache. The RX480 outperforms the 1060 at higher resolutions despite having half the pixel fillrate because of its cache, and Vega's is even better.
Plus HBM.