Ok Sup Forums - What is going on with linux and gaming?

Ok Sup Forums - What is going on with linux and gaming?
Shifted from windows to linux and enjoyed the transition - very smooth and I'm still enjoying the experience. However, trying to get some games running on this machine has been difficult to say the least.

Now I'm not some lazy neet who spends every free hour gaming, but I do enjoy the occasional RPG or Strategy game, and I'd like to continue my hobby using linux.

I don't play very graphically intensive games either, recently trying to get the likes of Stellaris or CK2 to work has been a trying experience. The recent release of Pillars of Eternity is also something I'd like to play but am having trouble running smoothly. I'm running openSUSE also which doesn't seem like the most optimized distro for this purpose.

So what's the deal Sup Forums? Should I give up and dual boot windows? Install a different distro that supports gaming a bit better like ubuntu? or persist in trying to fix whatever is shit with this current install of linux until I get stuff working at an acceptable level. At the moment I'm kind of stuck, considering to dual boot windows but I really would rather stick with linux. But if I can't have my cake and eat it too then I feel like I'm being forced into a corner.

If you're not doing anything graphically intensive, give Wine a try. After you install Wine, you literally just use terminal and
wine some_windows_installer.exe
Generally when it finishes you'll even have a shortcut mixed in with your normal Linux launchers. I've used it to install a bunch of Windows-only GoG games using the GoG installer as-is and it works fine. Heroes 3 works like a goddamn charm.

For 3D games, anything using OpenGL or Vulkan is best. Nothing needs to be translated, so you get same or better performance.

I'll give wine another go. I have a big catalog of steam games so I'll need to do some research on how I can play them through wine.

Install steam

I have, this is where I'm still having problems. I run the above mentioned games using the steam for linux application and the performance is so horrible it's unplayable.

Checking out PlayOnLinux now - seeing how well this works and setting everything up gradually.

>That wallpaper.

Here you go

Meet at footscray park

If you like Morrowind you can play with OpenMW

Thanks for the suggestion actually planning to play a Morrowind game at some point.

Time/place?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

what desktop environment?

xfce4

Try disabling composition in the window manager.

Unfortunately linux has issues with drivers for gpus, mainly because the companies that make them don't want to maintain the drivers for linux and, as far as I can tell, actively hinder the development of open source drivers, steam tends to have a metric fuck ton of issues. Your best bet is to try with a very large and popular distro like ubuntu or debian probably even arch, that or spend hours of frustration making drivers work or choose a machine which is known to work well with linux and steam.

Ask in the Friendly Gnu/Linux thread, somebody is bound to have a good answer. Myself? I gave up on the debacle some time ago and just do without games.

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.

This will never catch on.

I have, no change in performance either way.

I seem to be getting this weird lag like choppiness, where if I move my mouse over UI elements the game takes like a minute to register where the mouse is. Any other movements also are have this 1 second choppiness effect.

Well, dual booting windows seems like a better solution overall as all the games can just run with no issues. What the companies do with the drivers is a given but I would have thought my own gpu would have support by now as I have a pretty old card - GeForce GTX 750 Ti

Some distros are better for gaming than others.
Any ubuntu variant is good for gaming, but IMO Mint is the better distro for gaming out of the box.
Try checking your GPU driver.
I too only play a few Source games and roguelikes nowadays and I can do it perfectly on Linux.

virt-manager

Can you put the date in it like the OP, please? Thanks.